• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

supercharge #1 Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:55 PM

Second Lieutenant

• WG Staff
  • 1653 battles
  • [WG-EU] WG-EU
Hi All,

Are you guys celebrating the St. Nicholas Day? If so, how is it celebrated in your country?  :Smile_Default:

XxXSpottedYouXxX #2 Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:58 PM

General

• Player
  • 23824 battles
  • [4077] 4077
yay.

WoTDaFoCh #3 Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:17 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 22802 battles
id get another warning if i said  :Smile_trollface-3:

Nargar0th #4 Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:19 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 8963 battles
We sacrifice goats to BL10 Gods. Nice little ritual. And you're stress free for next few days.

Arkhell #5 Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:25 PM

Lieutenant General

• Beta Tester
  • 16942 battles
Well overhere (netherlands) it's called sinterklaas and it actually was yesterday for us.

it's basicly our version off chrismass gift giving.

so everyone gives eachother presents usually there's a thing called suprices which basicly is you all pick a card with a name of a person in the group that does this for each other (about 1 month in advance of the 5th of december) and you hobby up something for the person (this year for instance i drew my girlfriend so i'm making a paper mache horse for her.... well oke it's more of a moose/raindear freak combo atm but hey i gave it my best shot  :Smile_teethhappy: ) with an extra present for that person and a poem.

lots of work, rather anoying to come up with poems every damn year again but eventually it's pretty funny.

supercharge #6 Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:29 PM

Second Lieutenant

• WG Staff
  • 1653 battles
  • [WG-EU] WG-EU

View PostArkhell, on 06 December 2012 - 01:25 PM, said:

Well overhere (netherlands) it's called sinterklaas and it actually was yesterday for us.

it's basicly our version off chrismass gift giving.

so everyone gives eachother presents usually there's a thing called suprices which basicly is you all pick a card with a name of a person in the group that does this for each other (about 1 month in advance of the 5th of december) and you hobby up something for the person (this year for instance i drew my girlfriend so i'm making a paper mache horse for her.... well oke it's more of a moose/raindear freak combo atm but hey i gave it my best shot  :Smile_teethhappy: ) with an extra present for that person and a poem.

lots of work, rather anoying to come up with poems every damn year again but eventually it's pretty funny.

poems? wow! but about this particular person or in general about Christmas?

Arkhell #7 Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:35 PM

Lieutenant General

• Beta Tester
  • 16942 battles

View Postsupercharge, on 06 December 2012 - 01:29 PM, said:

poems? wow! but about this particular person or in general about Christmas?

well it's not about chrismass for one it's about sinter klaas (saint nickolas) and his zwarte pieten (oke this will sound awefully racist but bear with me, black "helpers") now before you flame with racist, these guys are not black as in black skinned but they are black ebcause tehy come down peoples chimney's to give presents.

basicly the story of saint nick and his kindness etc went over to giving people presents so he's our santaclauss sort of (for young people) and at teh usualy age when they find out it's not real like easterbunny's etc. we start with the suprice which is th hobby crap with a present and a poem.

this poem is more sort of like in the sinterklaas sfear. so it's usually a bid about sinterklaas, some jabs under the belt of something that happened lately and hinting towards the present and or the thing you put together. it's not really a literary masterpiece ;)

supercharge #8 Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:39 PM

Second Lieutenant

• WG Staff
  • 1653 battles
  • [WG-EU] WG-EU

View PostArkhell, on 06 December 2012 - 01:35 PM, said:

well it's not about chrismass for one it's about sinter klaas (saint nickolas) and his zwarte pieten (oke this will sound awefully racist but bear with me, black "helpers") now before you flame with racist, these guys are not black as in black skinned but they are black ebcause tehy come down peoples chimney's to give presents.

basicly the story of saint nick and his kindness etc went over to giving people presents so he's our santaclauss sort of (for young people) and at teh usualy age when they find out it's not real like easterbunny's etc. we start with the suprice which is th hobby crap with a present and a poem.

this poem is more sort of like in the sinterklaas sfear. so it's usually a bid about sinterklaas, some jabs under the belt of something that happened lately and hinting towards the present and or the thing you put together. it's not really a literary masterpiece ;)

sounds cool! we should do something similar in the office!  :Smile_veryhappy: I'm sure my colleagues would be over the moon lol

Arkhell #9 Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:47 PM

Lieutenant General

• Beta Tester
  • 16942 battles

View Postsupercharge, on 06 December 2012 - 01:39 PM, said:

sounds cool! we should do something similar in the office!  :Smile_veryhappy: I'm sure my colleagues would be over the moon lol

it's all fun and games the first few years it gets rather annoying after a while... specially since you ahve to read the poem out loud for everyone. and you get all sorts of random crap.

for instance i usually randomly pick the boyfriend of my girls sister.... this usually devolves into a totally useless gift with a retarded hobby project (were buds so this is to be expected)

first time: no hobby project but he didn't get to open his present untill he read the poem... which was encased in a rather big block of pycrete (wood chips in ice making it extra strong and totally unable to melt in any usable timeframe)
second time: he likes socker so his present was hidden in a soccer ball... well that was the outside, the inside was actually was his present encased in a combination of ductape and steel wire so he couldn't cut or use siccors to get to it.
third time: present was hidden in a big box with that foamy crap they use for packaging... well atleast thats what you would think but after he searched for about 30 min i gave it to him since it actually wasn't in there.

so it can go every which way you can imagine... this year is actualy the first year i make a serieus one since it's my own girl and the reprocussions if i give her crap like that would well be... a rather long "alone" time if you catch my drift  :Smile_sceptic:

algis242 #10 Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:05 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 10474 battles
I'm drinking beer now.

TheKroo #11 Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:11 PM

Product Manager

• WG Staff
  • 10290 battles
  • [WG] WG
In Croatia it's pretty much celebrated as described on the portal article

Al tough the birch's and the coal are delivered by Krampus.

I got this birch from a friend:

Posted Image

Reichstiger #12 Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:26 AM

Private

• Player
  • 130 battles
Well, in Slovakia - there's Santa/St.Nicholas/Mikuláš visiting the children and gives them all kinds of candies, sweets, chocolates etc...

Atomix330 #13 Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:09 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 11894 battles
In the UK we wait until Dec. 25th. St Nicholas' Day is more of a continental celebration.

JonG #14 Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:04 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 11775 battles
In Lithuania we don't celebrate this day. I never knew about it until this article.  :Smile_veryhappy:

nindza #15 Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:43 PM

Private

• Player
  • 3493 battles
In Serbia every family has "slava", translated it would mean "celebration", and it is dedicated to a patron saint. My family's slava is St. Nicholas (on december 19th Gregorian calendar). Families invite guests to a dinner. Since orthodox people are fasting on St. Nicholas day, the dinner is consisted of meals based on fish and vegetables - and in Serbia "the fish" receives the whole new meaning, because the meals we prepare are HEAVY :0).

BushwackTallywacker #16 Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:20 PM

Private

• Player
  • 0 battles
No I do not.
I do celebrate Christmas.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users