T44, T43, T34-85 100mm gun sucks?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
139 replies to this topic

dred50 #1 Posted 23 November 2010 - 01:14 AM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
It seems that I always bounce with this gun. Even aiming for hull and sides. It seems that I am almost guaranteed bounce every shot. I check the stats on what I am shooting at and most armor is like 100mm, yet this gun is rated at 175mm. Now I do maybe get lucky and get penetration but it is rare.

Does anybody else notice this? Am I doing something wrong? Are the game mechanics screwed up?

ZingFreelancer #2 Posted 23 November 2010 - 01:21 AM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 6971 battles
Considering this is one of the two viable guns for T-44 I would say its rather terrible.

But as a gun for T-43 and T-34-85 its a good gun. Just dont shoot Leopards in their front armor, you are more then likely to bounce.

dred50 #3 Posted 23 November 2010 - 01:46 AM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
A good example, I just shot directly on the back of a T32 that has 51mm rear armor, not angled or anything, this stupid cannon of course bounces. I think there is something wrong with the programming. Doesn't make sense.

haineken #4 Posted 23 November 2010 - 01:47 AM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
i dont know what are you talking about guys, that gun is very good, if you know where are weak spots of the tank you can hit almoust all heavy tanks with this your called "terrible gun"
used this gun on my heavy tanks too couse it has cheap shells and rather good accuracy, those 122mm 2 5 and 25 or even bl9 isnt that accurate as 100mm.

Pongo #5 Posted 23 November 2010 - 01:47 AM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Yet people on the other end think its over powered.
Always carry HE for it. Be willing to switch up of you are facing heavies.

dred50 #6 Posted 23 November 2010 - 01:53 AM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View PostPongo, on 23 November 2010 - 01:47 AM, said:

Yet people on the other end think its over powered.
Always carry HE for it. Be willing to switch up of you are facing heavies.

I'm starting to realize that Russian tanks seem to suck, at least so far on my way to the t44. The guns are just horrible. Since they are so inaccurate, they take forever to zoom in, and you can't zoom in that great either.

I thought russian tanks were OP, but maybe that is just the Is-4 and IS-7's.

Deleted_User_spa_53064 #7 Posted 23 November 2010 - 06:23 AM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
I think the D10T is a great gun.  Loads a bit faster on the T44.  Throw the rammer on there and reload isn't too bad at all.

Hazardz #8 Posted 23 November 2010 - 12:25 PM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 27624 battles
  • [BC-V] BC-V
I have not liked the D10T on any of the tanks I have used it on. It never seems to have the penetration it should no matter how carefully aimed and even when it does hit properly it doesn't do that much dmg.
I really have no problems with the accuracy of the BL9 and even the lesser 122mm are accurate enough if allowed to fully zoom and i would use these all day long.

I think the reason i do not play my T44 very much is because i just do not like the gun and it is like driving around with a pea shooter.

Asky_ #9 Posted 23 November 2010 - 12:32 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
IMO the most annoying think about D10T it's not the penetration. The penetration IMO is very good. Since u are driving a medium tank, you should never ever shoot at a heavy tank front armor. Medium tanks are not for that.

Ok now the thing that annoy me the most, is the accuracy of D10T gun (aka IDIOT gun). U need to be lucky to hit something at 50 meters away

Supraluminal #10 Posted 23 November 2010 - 04:05 PM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
It's a thoroughly average gun, in my opinion.  OK at everything, but not outstanding at anything in particular.  The real problem with it is that its usage spans so many tiers.  At tier 6, it's great on the T-34-85 (at least if you want to engage higher-tier heavies; the upgraded 85mm is better for lighter targets).  At tier 7, it's adequate but not anything special on the IS and T-43.  And by tier 8, on the IS-3 or T-44, it's pretty lackluster.  You really need something with better penetration by then.  Obviously for the IS-3 you'll eventually unlock the BL-9, but it's quite a long grind.

Personally, I'd take the 88mm KwK 43 L/71 hands down over the D10T on an IS or T-44 if it was possible.

phawkins1988 #11 Posted 23 November 2010 - 05:12 PM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 2675 battles
It's a good gun on the T-44.  Too slow on the T-34/85 and the T-43 imo.

ZekkPacus #12 Posted 23 November 2010 - 05:38 PM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 1778 battles
  • [SOBAD] SOBAD
As was said, it's an entirely average gun. Average rate of fire, average accuracy, average damage. It's nothing special. But look at the hulls it's mounted to.

Only problem I've ever had with it in the T-44 is accuracy at anything above 50m is horrifying if you're moving. Comparing to Panther, I've had moving shots hit from the 8.8cm L/71 at anything up to 250-300m, T-44 I don't even bother trying anymore.

Supraluminal #13 Posted 23 November 2010 - 07:26 PM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View PostKigur, on 23 November 2010 - 05:15 PM, said:

maybe because i'm playin with a t-44 ( better reload ), rammer, ventilation and 100% crew, but IDI0T is quite good for me. matters of fact is 100mm is even more effective since i stop auto aim ...

german 88mm is better, but tier 8 gun. russian 100mm is tier 7, t-44 122mm tier 8 is pure shit.
The tier distinction on the gun is pretty meaningless.  It's true that the 88mm L/71 is tier 8, but you can mount it on the German counterparts of the highest-tier Russian tanks that regularly use the D10T (i.e. Tiger w/ 88mm -> IS w/100mm; Panther w/ 88mm -> T-44 w/ 100mm).  I think most people would agree that the Russian hulls in this comparison are better, though, so to some extent it makes sense for the German guns to be better.  Still frustrating to be stuck with a merely OK gun if you play Russian tanks, but I guess the grass is always greener on the other side.

panzergulo #14 Posted 23 November 2010 - 09:37 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 18410 battles
I prefer the 85mm guns on Soviet mediums over the 100mm and 122mm guns, but because of totally different reasons...

I dogfight. In a dogfight, damage per round or penetration aren't important. Rate of fire and damage per minute are more important factors for a dogfighter. If you're circling an enemy or shoot-and-scooting, you're most probably aiming at the enemies' rear and sides anyway... thus, penetration isn't a problem. And while driving, you're accuracy isn't at its best... but missing once with a 85mm gun isn't a problem, it loads fast enough and the ammo cost is comfortably low... however, with higher calibers the loading time might become a serious problem... the enemy might have time to return fire one or even two times while the bigger gun is loading... really, the bigger guns are meant for the good old "peek-a-boo" type of tanking, where you find cover and show yourself only when you're shooting, not for skirmishing and dogfights.

What can I say? Don't use auto-aim and you'll notice you won't get as many bounces. Aim for hull, lower part of hull, tracks, rear of the turret, weak points like machine gun ports and hatches, any armor that isn't sloped, etc. and you'll notice the enemy armor virtually never bounces your shots.

Keep it up, and keep tanking.

Supraluminal #15 Posted 23 November 2010 - 10:42 PM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View Postpanzergulo, on 23 November 2010 - 09:37 PM, said:

What can I say? Don't use auto-aim and you'll notice you won't get as many bounces. Aim for hull, lower part of hull, tracks, rear of the turret, weak points like machine gun ports and hatches, any armor that isn't sloped, etc. and you'll notice the enemy armor virtually never bounces your shots.
I see this condescending response an awful lot when the subject of penetration comes up on these forums, and it gets really old.  I know that there are people who use auto-aim, and it's good to encourage them to try aiming manually, but please, don't assume that you're the only one who knows better (this is directed at everyone who posts this, not you specifically).  And while your advice is generally good, depending on the tactical situation and tank/gun matchup it doesn't always work out in practice.  A high penetration means you'll be more reliably able to do damage in a wider variety of circumstances.

Anyway, yeah, the D10T's penetration is alright against most targets, most of the time.  Most of the posts in this thread aren't saying otherwise, it's just not particularly good either.  Very middle-of-the-road.  Personally, I favor penetration and accuracy over rate of fire or raw damage output because I would rather do a modest amount of damage consistently than a large amount of damage sporadically, so it's not a gun that's tailored well to my particular tastes.  Nothing outstanding or particularly attractive about it.  It's just... adequate.

boybland #16 Posted 24 November 2010 - 04:52 AM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
I use the 100mm on auto aim regularly and it penetrates all but the biggest tanks almost every time, when it doesn't I just switch to HE.
Once you get into the T43 it seems to come into it's own.
If your shooting heavies just race past the back of them point blank and let rip, find some cover, wait till they are distracted, then do it again.

It's not much for killing scouts unless your very patient, but all round in the T43 it is an excellent gun, if I got to choose again though I probably would have the 85mm but ONLY because that is better on the T34-85 and once you have trained one it's kind of a waste to train the other.

Voekov #17 Posted 24 November 2010 - 08:54 AM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 6281 battles
  • [-VIC-] -VIC-
Itis pretty frustrating how the best gun of 3 highest russian mediums is the same, average krap. D10T is not bad, but the accuracy is horrible. I can't even count how many times i missed at point blank because the projectile went straight into the air, and as other people said, shooting that thing in move is a pain in the ass (ground or skies, either way, but never in the middle). The 85mm on the other hand has decent accuracy, you can shoot well while in move, and while dogfighting it's a real king of he hill. T-34-85 with 85mm can eat T43 with 100mm alive.

Still, i think they should change something about 3 top tiers using the same guns.

GinGinLime #18 Posted 24 November 2010 - 10:05 PM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 3860 battles
I don't think the D10T is too inaccurate when fully aimed but it is often hilariously terrible without aiming in fully which takes a while, and hitting something while moving even along a flat road  at 50m is pure luck.

boybland #19 Posted 24 November 2010 - 10:59 PM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View PostVoekov, on 24 November 2010 - 08:54 AM, said:

T-34-85 with 85mm can eat T43 with 100mm alive.
Me and my 100mm T43 will take that challenge any day of the week!
The 85mm is better for killing faster scouts, by the time your shooting at a T43 you would be better off with the 100mm.

Dunewarrior #20 Posted 24 November 2010 - 11:30 PM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
I know that the 85mm has better accuracy, but IMHO its the 100mm cannon that should be the one to long-range battle with. I've taken T-34-100 heavy-hunting before, and there have been games where the only tanks I've damaged/killed were Tigers, TigerII,s KV's and lower-tier IS's.
One memorable instance I hit a Ausf B somewhere (through bushes) and was able to do about 20% damage per shot, at 300m away. Only managed to get 2 hits in before he one-shot me... but both shots penetrated as well.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users