Suspension load limit - any hidden modifier ?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

ClassicFrog #1 Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:08 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
So, we have some tanks in game that can not only carry all the upgraded and additional modules on the stock suspension, not to mention the upgraded one, they have a lot of weight limit spare as well.

For example, let's take a look at M4A3E8 Sherman or Easy 8.
It's upgraded tracks can hold a total weight of 34,5 tonnes. However Easy 8 with all top modules and with the heaviest possible additional modules installed (spall liner, gun rammer and vents) has only a little over 31 tonnes of total mass. It's the heaviest it can go.

So we have about 3.5 tonnes spare.

Is there any hidden tank characteristic that benefits from "spare load" or max load vs total mass? If yes, could you share your knowledge about it? If no, what's the point of overkill load limit?

Homer_J #2 Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:09 AM

First Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
There are other hidden stats such as passability on different terrains, which affects acceleration and manoeuvrability.

No benefit as far as I know to having excess load limit.

Steffenkbh #3 Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:12 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
Perhaps more "spare load" = less ground resistance, just a guess.

ClassicFrog #4 Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:12 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles

View PostHomer_J, on 07 December 2012 - 11:09 AM, said:

There are other hidden stats such as passability on different terrains, which affects acceleration and manoeuvrability.
No benefit as far as I know to having excess load limit.
I know that suspension itself has certain terrain passability characteristics and the upgrades are better at it. I only meant the excess load limit thing.

Edited by ClassicFrog, 07 December 2012 - 11:13 AM.

Channel911 #5 Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:14 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
No, the excess of load limit as far as i know is totally useless.

Arkhell #6 Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:17 AM

First Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
not really benefit as in it does this or that better with not having maximum load specificly.

tanks do turn/pull up faster when they are lighter since the less mass the more HP/ton the engine can provide. so if you don't need it don't put it on is sort of the standard drill  :Smile_blinky: but theres no bonus for staying beneath the max tonage.

but look at it from this side, maybe later on we get armor upgrades or gheto armor (logs/concrete etc) and skirts for german tanks for instance which will weigh some extra tonnes. so if you have load limit to spare atm you can put them on without any problem.

Trollisljotiresns #7 Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:23 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
From what I understand, more load capacity even when the maximum possible load that can be reached is less (as stated here with the example of the E8) makes (should by my understanding) the tracks more durable in the event of jumps. You jump, the kinetic energy of the tank falling back down - this is what the excess load capacity is AT LEAST partially (probably to a small extent) covering for.

Does this make any sense at all?

Edited by Trollisljotiresns, 07 December 2012 - 11:24 AM.

ClassicFrog #8 Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:49 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles

View PostTrollisljotiresns, on 07 December 2012 - 11:23 AM, said:

From what I understand, more load capacity even when the maximum possible load that can be reached is less (as stated here with the example of the E8) makes (should by my understanding) the tracks more durable in the event of jumps. You jump, the kinetic energy of the tank falling back down - this is what the excess load capacity is AT LEAST partially (probably to a small extent) covering for.

Does this make any sense at all?

If true it would make sense, yes. But then we've had the same excess load thing before physics where tanks were glued to the ground.

Trollisljotiresns #9 Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:16 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
I know that will probably never happen..but this is one of the few things I would really love to see an official comment from WG on. Maybe the fact it was there before meant that they actually had thought one step ahead, for once? It simply is the closest explanation I see. I would appreciate more views regarding this theory.

Fido__007 #10 Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:29 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
The 'spare weight' itself does not do anything special but only the fact that you dont use the supension up to the limit means faster acceleration, faster movement, faster turning speed.

I mean that the ligher the tank is, the faster it behaves. I can provide example with ISU-152 with BL-10 (6.5 tons) or with BL-9S (2.6 tons) guns. With the latter, ISU is quite fast and turnable while with BL-10 it's front heavy meaning worse turning capablility and worse acceleration. Top speed is however the same, although you reach it later.

So I think that the spared weight help the manoeuverability of the vehicle but not directly, like the more is the margin, the better is the performance. More like the lower overall weight, the better.

Nectaria #11 Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:40 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
Luchs with lightest turret and 20mm gun will turn a lot faster, accelerate a lot faster and reach its stop speed earlier and longer...Just because it is lighter on the max tracks then the maximum load out being the heavy turret and the 50mm gun.

So yeah it does change a bit, but I don't think it is really that extraordinary.

Stokkolm #12 Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:11 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
Luchs or ISU-152 are different sotory, of course if the tank becomes lighter it becomes more agile.

But I have a theory, nothing verified, just made up but... What if if having more spare weight on suspension improves turning speed (and maybe even acceleration)? I think this could be true because Ft-17 has 4,7 tons occupied out of 6,8 maximum and it's pretty agile compared to what the stats say.

Zamial #13 Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:25 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
I do believe there was going to be some benefit that is currently not in use. I also heard though that tanks were going to have fuel and losing fuel tank meant losing half your fuel.

You can pretty much find any nonsense you desire about wot posted on this very forum.