Two big changes WG need to make

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
50 replies to this topic

Cuddly_Spider #41 Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:50 AM

Major

• Player
  • 28313 battles

View PostSIPU, on 12 December 2012 - 11:34 AM, said:

I play to have fun, I do not want to be forced into certain group.
Randoms is enough fun for me, for more competitive play I join company battles when I feel I want to.

And as I said earlier, with system you wouldn't be. Randoms would be completely untouched. The only difference it would make to randoms is that douchebag leets (not the professional gentlemanly types) wouldn't be able to whine anymore. They would have somewhere to go.

Fawlty_Turrets #42 Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:53 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 21162 battles
Well, I think it'd be a good idea-it'd be semi smiliar to company games already....
Though I'd like to see the stupid credit loss from a losing game on company gone. It's silly, frustrating and NOT needed. You should get slightly more from just taking part than in a random anyway, and if you win it should be a the same as a daily double. that might get more people doing it.
Also, the idea of lower tier clanwars provinces might be a good idea as well. Have like bronze, silver and gold leagues of clanwars. That way, MORE people would be able to participate, smaller clans too. More people would get the chance to play in an organised fashion. you'd get the taste of organised battling, it'd whet appetite for the bigger prizes at the higher leagues, pass xp earning along by DOING something constructive as opposed to grinding, all this at low risk, low cost so the free to play players could do it-and then might decide to go premium so they can step up, so to speak...
If I could do clan wars at tier 8/6/4, I'd be over the moon!

Homer_J #43 Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:27 PM

Field Marshal

• 33170 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostCuddly_Spider, on 12 December 2012 - 09:48 AM, said:

In another sense I disagree with you. Why wouldn't it have the numbers to keep it going? There are well over a hundred thousand players on during the typical daytime play, if just 1 or 2 percent decide they are up for that sort of battle then it'd turn out ok population wise.

You won't even get 1%, 90,000 players on and we couldn't get 15 to play a tier 8 company battle.

And 1% wouldn't be enough, even if you accept a minute wait then people will be in battle for 10 times that if you are going to have the fantastic fights you are talking about.  So to have 1% waiting you need to have 10% of the population, and with 10 tiers and your desire for a 2 tier spread that brings it to 50%.

And look at the queue next time you are in there long enough, see how many tanks are actually waiting for a battle at any one time.  It isn't going to work.

Indy_Bones #44 Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:34 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 34015 battles
  • [WHO] WHO

View PostHomer_J, on 12 December 2012 - 12:48 AM, said:

We had a 2 min wait tonight for a tier 8 company battle which pretty much shows how much people actually want an organised fight.

View PostHomer_J, on 12 December 2012 - 10:27 PM, said:

we couldn't get 15 to play a tier 8 company battle.

Which is it then?

To start with it's a 2 minute wait for a tier 8 CB, then suddenly it's not even possible!

You're clearly against the idea being suggested, but posting contradictory statements isn't going to help your argument...

Homer_J #45 Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:01 AM

Field Marshal

• 33170 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostIndy_Bones, on 13 December 2012 - 09:34 AM, said:

Which is it then?

To start with it's a 2 minute wait for a tier 8 CB, then suddenly it's not even possible!

You're clearly against the idea being suggested, but posting contradictory statements isn't going to help your argument...

Picky much?

We couldn't get a team to play a tier 8 company battle within 2 minutes, happy?

The idea is a loser and isn't worth the time it would take to develop.

Indy_Bones #46 Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:33 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 34015 battles
  • [WHO] WHO

View PostHomer_J, on 13 December 2012 - 10:01 AM, said:

Picky much?

It's not picky, it was simply pointing out a clear contradiction and asking for clarification.

We couldn't get a team to play a tier 8 company battle within 2 minutes, happy?

Yep, because if it only takes 2 mins to get a CB, then there's no reason the MM couldn't do something similar with random teams instead of companies, and I'd be perfectly happy to wait a minute or two if it meant better games.

Thanks for the clarification  :Smile_Default:

Homer_J #47 Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:49 AM

Field Marshal

• 33170 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostIndy_Bones, on 13 December 2012 - 10:33 AM, said:

Yep, because if it only takes 2 mins to get a CB, then there's no reason the MM couldn't do something similar with random teams instead of companies, and I'd be perfectly happy to wait a minute or two if it meant better games.

And I don't think you would get enough people willing to wait 2 mins for a battle where they will earn less exp and credits and have their precious efficiency rating lowered.

Dronier #48 Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:26 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 9909 battles
  • [DEFY] DEFY

View PostFawlty_Turrets, on 12 December 2012 - 07:53 PM, said:

Also, the idea of lower tier clanwars provinces might be a good idea as well. Have like bronze, silver and gold leagues of clanwars. That way, MORE people would be able to participate, smaller clans too. More people would get the chance to play in an organised fashion. you'd get the taste of organised battling, it'd whet appetite for the bigger prizes at the higher leagues, pass xp earning along by DOING something constructive as opposed to grinding, all this at low risk, low cost so the free to play players could do it-and then might decide to go premium so they can step up, so to speak...
If I could do clan wars at tier 8/6/4, I'd be over the moon!

That means you would have to reinstall the game does it not... come on Fawlty come to the dark side..  :Smile-hiding:  :Smile-tongue:  :Smile_harp:

But I too like the idea of lower level clan wars..

In understand its almost an end game thing at present surely if they opened it out it would help to imporve more players game play ?   :arta:

Edited by Dronier, 13 December 2012 - 02:27 PM.

Fawlty_Turrets #49 Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:02 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 21162 battles
I will, and I'll blame you Dronier. I'll gult trip you into next year-you know I'll troll you!

Cuddly_Spider #50 Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:34 PM

Major

• Player
  • 28313 battles

View PostHomer_J, on 12 December 2012 - 10:27 PM, said:

You won't even get 1%, 90,000 players on and we couldn't get 15 to play a tier 8 company battle.

And 1% wouldn't be enough, even if you accept a minute wait then people will be in battle for 10 times that if you are going to have the fantastic fights you are talking about.  So to have 1% waiting you need to have 10% of the population, and with 10 tiers and your desire for a 2 tier spread that brings it to 50%.

And look at the queue next time you are in there long enough, see how many tanks are actually waiting for a battle at any one time.  It isn't going to work.

Admittedly your 1% prediction is perfectly reasonable possibility. I do think, however, that there would be more, which is also reasonable. Half of the problem with company battles, in my view, is that they are somewhat too social. They are almost clanwars-lite. If you fancy a more organized or "less spammy", if you'll pardon the phrase, fight you'll need to basically go hunting for a company that will take you, you need the right tank, they might not want you there etc etc. What this game needs, or at least a lot of people playing need, is a simplistic "fight now" for pros without a lot of faffing about. I think the uptake of that might not be quite as low as you think.

Secondly battles might not go on all that long. 9vs9 means less enemies to destroy, so they might be over with reasonable speed unless there is a fine balance, at least any weaker players will be out before they know it.

I suppose, in a way, what I am arguing for is possibly the dissolution of Company Battles (I think a better alternative to company battles would be to simply add the option of "friendlies" to clanwars) and instead replace it with perhaps a "tactical mode" of 9vs9 with a narrower tier spread and a more rigid limitation on artillery and perhaps other vehicle classes. Queues for this might be long unless the take-up was sufficient, but frankly they are long for company battles anyway, and the prospect of a fight with an arty restriction may drag a few extra people off randoms, at least for a few matches. Make sure there is an income nerf (and maybe an XP buff) on those matches and you ensure that people have to go back to randoms to farm, so you don't create any issues of people gravitating en mass to a new mode and messing up the Random Battles population for matchmaker.

Remember, Homer, that I am fundamental agreement with you on the issues of dividing up the playerbase based on any sort of skill metric. I think it is doomed to failure. But given that it is a major source of contention for many of our more seasoned players (many of whom are very nice and fluffy gentlemen) I do believe it at least warrants a good discussion and consideration.

Also bear in mind that I am total agreement with you if you tell me that The Hobbit is on way to long. 170 minutes is unreasonable for any movie, as I (and many others) have ordinary human bladders and not galvanized iron bladders with a back up tank. Spending the final act of a movie wondering whether wet pants or missing the end is the lesser of two evils does not a fun movie make.

Homer_J #51 Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:08 PM

Field Marshal

• 33170 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
Company battles could certainly be improved, currently there is no option for using odd tiered tanks for one.  If you want to grind a tier 7 or 9 you are not welcome.  It would be good if they could be made more accessible for people without a ready made group but I'm not sure how that could be done.

View PostCuddly_Spider, on 13 December 2012 - 08:34 PM, said:

Also bear in mind that I am total agreement with you if you tell me that The Hobbit is on way to long. 170 minutes is unreasonable for any movie, as I (and many others) have ordinary human bladders and not galvanized iron bladders with a back up tank. Spending the final act of a movie wondering whether wet pants or missing the end is the lesser of two evils does not a fun movie make.

While we are on the subject, why do cinemas insist on selling drinks in sizes bigger than your average kid's bladder?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users