Langauges in Europe

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
40 replies to this topic

makinwar_UK #1 Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:28 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 5837 battles
Just to explain I'm 16 and next year doing A-levels and part of course I am doing is you have to do a language online maybe 2 not 100% sure as of yet waiting for confirmation but after A-levels when I am 18 I plan to travel europe
Belgium Holland Germany France Italy Spain Portugal Switzerland Austria Poland(Only as far as warsaw)
Czech Republic Lithuania Lative Estonia Finland Denmark Sweden and Norway basically all of west europe scandivia and a bit of the old USSR bloc but old USSR bloc countires onylplan to spend a week or 2 at most there but what langues alongisde english and some basic french would you recommend to cover them countires as I don't want to be a silly foreigner struggling to get what I mean across.

As well are the living costs in them countires likely to be same as UK like food launderettes etc and in them countires is it fairly safe to camp?

Could nto find anything on internet that answered my question so I thought I would ask you guys.

nkouhoe #2 Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:33 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 24930 battles
I can say that food in Germany is a lot cheaper than in the UK. Also u should think about couchsurfing a bit since u will meet local people and its for free.

imperiumgraecum #3 Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:38 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 61274 battles
  • [GO-IN] GO-IN
Ouch! My eyes are bleeding  :Smile_confused: 100 words packed in one chaotic sentence, without even some commas  :Smile_ohmy:  If I had written such a text in my English lessons, my teacher would have most likely crucified me upside down :Smile_trollface-3:

Could you try to "restructure" your topic a bit please, just for the sake of non-native english speakers like me  :Smile_Default: ?

Edited by imperiumgraecum, 09 January 2013 - 09:41 PM.

Epe12 #4 Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:42 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 39241 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
In Finland you'll do fine with english. And i don't even think you can learn enough finnish in two years to make it  :Smile_veryhappy:  Moneywise, I've never been in UK, I think it's not that different overall. Have a nice trip. Couch surfing is really something to consider.

USGIshimura #5 Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:50 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 12924 battles
Hi mate. I advice you check Lithuania in your travel list. Only in this country our capitol mayor drives BTR to work.

psysiphos #6 Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:56 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 17526 battles
  • [DBBL] DBBL
in belgium, netherlands and the scandinavian countries english is normally acceptable. i guess its the same with the baltic states, but i dont know.
with french youll cover france, parts of belgium and parts of switzerland.
so there are still spain, portugal, germany, switzerland, austria, italia, czech, poland, and ussr.
i guess russian was an obligatory foreign language in school in the countries of the warsaw pact, so that might be an option. spanish is another one as thats spoken also in latin america in case you want to go there some day too. maybe german as you can use it in germany, austria and the most part of switzerland. maybe you are lucky and meet some old people in czech and poland too that are able to speak it.

Edited by psysiphos, 09 January 2013 - 10:02 PM.

Ubertoaster #7 Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:13 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 15976 battles
  • [TAHK] TAHK
What I noticed, when I went to southern Spain through half of Europe was that in the Western countries (Italy, France and Spain) nobody spoke a different language. One time in France we had to refuel badly and we were in a town in the southern parts there were many people on the streets and no Gas-station ads or signs, so we asked around and 5 people later (nobody of us knew French) we managed to find a German tourist, who showed us the way and we filled up. I know English, German, Russian and to some extent Romanian, but none of these helped us in Spain. Again we found some German tourists, who helped us reach our final destination.
After 4 days on the road I pretty much had it with lazy westerners not speaking any language other then their own.

In Eastern Europe is a totally different state - everybody seems to know Russian or German, but not English.

Kyphros #8 Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:32 PM

Major

• Player
  • 14403 battles

View PostUbertoaster, on 09 January 2013 - 10:13 PM, said:

After 4 days on the road I pretty much had it with lazy westerners not speaking any language other then their own.
Well maybe that these people have their reasons, like -for example- that their language is supposed to be the god-damn universal diplomatic language.
For the English-speaking people, it's quite normal to expect strangers to speak English, because America has imposed its language on the world with its enconomic power. And before them, the world's diplomatic language was the French. Because France dominated Europe for a long time when it came to diplomacy + military power; at the time America was nothing but some lumberjacks living in wooden cabins on a lost continent. Oh and by the way, French is still a required language when it comes to European diplomacy. All of the European magistrates have to speak French in order to be able to apply to important jobs, and all of the European courts' decisions are translated in French.

They may not know other languages than their own, but you can't call them lazy for that.
Furthermore, their educative systems are generally not oriented towards foreign languagesat all. I know that, I lived it. I learned English with the Internet, and not thanks to my college teachers.

Also, try harder next time. There are english-speaking people everywhere in these countries. They're just less numerous than in other countries.

He_from_Norway_ #9 Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:52 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 24604 battles
  • [NEI] NEI
In norway everything is very expenisive on global basis, but we are suprisingly the cheapest for electronics...

eh...

and one akward thing... on busses we think its akward to talk, so only ask: "can i sit here?" and thats cool... unless you have a friend omboard ofcourse

but jobs are well paied...

we do talk english, BUT on the eastern part of norway the english is horrible, let me put it like this; something i heard from a fellow eastern norwegain dude: "i dont know what it is in english, but in norwegain we call it air condition" LOL

and appartment prices are going to hell, its very expensive to live in appartments for rent, but we are slowly making our way to a better stage...

thats pretty much it

Edited by R4F431, 09 January 2013 - 11:58 PM.

Kyphros #10 Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:04 AM

Major

• Player
  • 14403 battles

View PostR4F431, on 09 January 2013 - 11:52 PM, said:

but we are slowly making our way to a better stage...
And then, suddenly, BOOM GLOBAL ECONOMIC CRISIS IN YER FACE! DOLLAR DIES! EURO DIES! YUAN DIES! NATIONAL MONEYS INFLATE LIKE HELL!

The years to come are going to be really terrible, I think...  :arta:

He_from_Norway_ #11 Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:37 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 24604 battles
  • [NEI] NEI

View PostKyphros, on 10 January 2013 - 12:04 AM, said:

And then, suddenly, BOOM GLOBAL ECONOMIC CRISIS IN YER FACE! DOLLAR DIES! EURO DIES! YUAN DIES! NATIONAL MONEYS INFLATE LIKE HELL!

The years to come are going to be really terrible, I think...  :arta:

sorry cant hear you over my barrels of oil... LOL

yeah, but scandinavian countries, except island dont suffer much from this... last time i almost forgot it.

makinwar_UK #12 Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:33 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 5837 battles
Well thanks for your help and yeah I did hear of couchsurfing considering it an option bt thanks I think I am more inclined to go with russian as I did do some german for 4 months last year and did not get on well with it but out of interest if I took a german english dictionary and used that could that help bridge gap better. As personally when travelling I would sooner speak to people in there own lnauge or something similar so I am not just another ignorant western tourist.

I considered Lithunia but I have heard some horror stoires about westerns travelling through there espically my bikes most common theme was bike being stolen as it will be my primary mode of transport not good.  Sorry as well to guy about my OP I suppose when english is native you relax a lot concernning gramer well I do at least lol.

makinwar_UK #13 Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:35 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 5837 battles
As well in them countries are listed would it be fairly easy to find a police officer or doctor who knew english or could get an interpreter as if anything goes wrong it would be nice to know I can explain in my native toungue if thats make sense.

Ubertoaster #14 Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:46 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 15976 battles
  • [TAHK] TAHK
Don't look for government workers (police officers, politicians, etc.) who speak other languages in Eastern Europe.
There are even jokes about their stupidity.

-Ivancho (diminutive of Ivan), what is the simplest machine ?
-The traffic light.
-Why?
-Because when it breaks, it will always be replaced by a policeman.

JonG #15 Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:59 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 11775 battles

View Postmakinwar_UK, on 10 January 2013 - 05:33 PM, said:

I considered Lithunia but I have heard some horror stoires about westerns travelling through there espically my bikes most common theme was bike being stolen as it will be my primary mode of transport not good.
Where the f**k did you read that kind of crap? If that happened to some person that doesn't mean it will happen to you too. That's a total nonsense. :Smile_amazed:

And about the language. With young people you can perfectly communicate in English. There are some old people that understand English, but Russian is the best language to communicate with them. :Smile_Default:

Edited by JonG, 10 January 2013 - 08:04 PM.

makinwar_UK #16 Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:37 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 5837 battles
Right a lot of websites actually but mainly american same sort of horror stories about warsam riga tallin etc all eastern bloc countries but some are from 5 years a ago but fewer recent ones but still made my a bit neervous at traveling in them

makinwar_UK #17 Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:42 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 5837 battles
So just out of interest what is properly going to be easy to learn and help me more around europe espically considering were I am going to go and hopefulyl work in places farms etc try and get cash whast would be overall better german or russian? Barign in mind got 2 years max to learn it and its a Online course so..

kodos #18 Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:10 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 14430 battles
  • [RENO] RENO
Difficult to say,
Most of the countries where most of the people speak another language you are fine with english (also in france, because if they don't want to talk do you because you are a tourist, it doesn't matte if you are speaking english or french).

In middle Europe german is more useful (next is spanish because in Spain it only works if you are speaking spanish) also because it is an official languages in most of the countries.
Russian helps in the "far" East (Romania, Ukraine, Baltic).

Kyphros #19 Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:06 AM

Major

• Player
  • 14403 battles

View Postkodos, on 10 January 2013 - 09:10 PM, said:

in france, because if they don't want to talk do you because you are a tourist, it doesn't matte if you are speaking english or french).

View Postkodos, on 10 January 2013 - 09:10 PM, said:

they don't want to talk do you because you are a tourist
wtfamireading.jpg

Of course if you are fat, noisy and obnoxious, they won't talk to you because you just annoy them. Otherwise, french people are no different from other people in other countries.  :facepalmic:

psysiphos #20 Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:43 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 17526 battles
  • [DBBL] DBBL

View Postmakinwar_UK, on 10 January 2013 - 08:42 PM, said:

So just out of interest what is properly going to be easy to learn and help me more around europe espically considering were I am going to go and hopefulyl work in places farms etc try and get cash whast would be overall better german or russian? Barign in mind got 2 years max to learn it and its a Online course so..

i dont know much about russian, but think about it this way, your native language is english, a germanic language, german is obviously a germanic language too. russian is a slavic language, although all three are indo-european, so there have to be some commonalities in all three. german and english share the same latin letters, for russian youll have to learn cyrillic.
english and german share similiarities in words and grammar: supermarket, supermarkt, супермаркет (although the cyrillic looks to me like supermarket too, but im not sure)
so i guess it would be easier to learn german, but no one except for you is able to say how hard it would be for you to learn one of them in two years.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users