WOT v's War Thunder

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
190 replies to this topic

Hornet331 #21 Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:49 PM

Colonel

• Beta Tester
  • 16285 battles
Inb4 next 10 posts are all sunken costs fallacy.

I have invested also quite some time in WoT, but when there is a better tank game with less random BS i switch in an instant.

View Postgeekuma, on 17 January 2013 - 03:44 PM, said:

Hmm, looks like we are comparing pears and apples here. Or even pears and similar size stones :-P
One is stable and popular game with plenty of world-wide users, other one is still-in-progress without even a possibility to test if the statements are true. (Anybody remember the War Z -fiasko?) Even Guild Wars looked better on paper than World of Warcraft - yet still even today there are millions players happily paying the monthly fee for WoW.
I welcome competition and hope it brings more action to WG as well. But I am not going to say which of the games is the best before the competitor is ready and playable to at least some comparison.
Cheers,
geekuma
PS: I wouldn't mind downing some airplanes and sinking some ships with my Löwe x-)
Edit: Added wiki-link to War Z.

nice strawmen there... war z was an obvious scam from the beginning, its not only recently that people called it that, it was already several months ago people keep saying its a reskin of war inc. even with proof. They just wanted to ride the popularity of DayZ for a quick buck... also lead devs made that wonky laughable driving game.
Comparing WT to WarZ is laughable at best.

WT actually made the effort to make a own game engine to suite there needs, instead of licencing one of the cheapest game (mmo) engine out there to get things quickly done. There first focus also was an airplane game and you see that engine is tailored for it, it blows bigworld out of the water. If they want to expand it to fit other genres and make it something like BF or WW2O i am more then happy with that.

Edited by Hornet331, 17 January 2013 - 04:02 PM.

Shaka_D #22 Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:50 PM

Colonel

• Beta Tester
  • 37657 battles

View PostDasNiveau, on 17 January 2013 - 03:45 PM, said:

So is WoT...   0.8.3

Pure semantics dear boy  :Smile_blinky: .Every game would be in beta phase since most are patched and patched and patched after release.

Cuddly_Spider #23 Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:50 PM

Major

• Player
  • 28313 battles

View PostTrilandian, on 17 January 2013 - 03:32 PM, said:

I've played War Thunder for a short while, emphasis on played - past tense. While, on a purely mechanical level, it's a really great game, the reason I'm not playing it right now is because of the absolutely horrific business model.

It uses Uplay.

Uplay, for those who don't know, is basically Ubisoft. You know the company who are throwing DRM at every single thing they touch these days? The company who make EA look like philanthropists? Them. This is software which was putting DRM rootkits into peoples computers not long ago.

http://www.cinemable...kers-45162.html

If this game becomes popular expect this to be exploited, expect your gaming habits to be monitored and expect Ubisoft to bubble you in an attempt to get you to throw all your disposable gaming dollars at them.

WorkingasIntended #24 Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:50 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 10060 battles
Or Ectar  :Smile_blinky:

Don't ban him matey. If he is advertising WT he is also advertising WOT.....

Tank_killer99 #25 Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:53 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 6673 battles
i hope WG lose and cancel the WOWP cuz it sucks :facepalmic:
small maps , same big world engine , bad graphics and no multicore support :Smile-angry:
i have the beta access but i didn't played it more than couple of times(i don't like old planes :Smile_Default: )
i hope Gaijin make tank game and i will move immediately to them :Smile_trollface-3:

triggerbunny #26 Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:58 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 17543 battles
  • [FIFO] FIFO

View PostCitizenSoldier, on 17 January 2013 - 03:40 PM, said:

That would be true if I thought I had wasted money. I've enjoyed my time playing WOT, I'm not here in the hope it will get better.... Even though, apart from a few things over the time I've played, the game has generally improved.

Trilandian #27 Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:59 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 5938 battles
  • [DBDH] DBDH

View PostCuddly_Spider, on 17 January 2013 - 03:50 PM, said:

It uses Uplay.

As far as I know, there's no connection between Gaijin and Ubisoft.

DasNiveau #28 Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:02 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 10735 battles

View Postjinx_uk, on 17 January 2013 - 03:50 PM, said:

Pure semantics dear boy  :Smile_blinky: .Every game would be in beta phase since most are patched and patched and patched after release.
Just wanting to say ... they aren't both THERE yet.

And less "pay to win" is a BIG + for me.

aGentleTanker #29 Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:05 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 21043 battles
Tried both

WoWP is quite accesible and simple. WT ... looks better, feels much more performent and has more possibilities but somehow it felt to complicated for me. All I want is select some tank/plane battle and have fun.

I played 2 battles in WT so far, but 228 on Wowp for that reason...

sven2205 #30 Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:07 PM

Private

• Player
  • 36124 battles
  • [OXIDE] OXIDE
is it me or is it just that its all about planes and not about tanks why do you post it here

Hornet331 #31 Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:07 PM

Colonel

• Beta Tester
  • 16285 battles

View PostTrilandian, on 17 January 2013 - 03:59 PM, said:

As far as I know, there's no connection between Gaijin and Ubisoft.

well people tend to distort reality when they feel threatened.

sven2205 #32 Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:08 PM

Private

• Player
  • 36124 battles
  • [OXIDE] OXIDE
you should put this on wowp forum

Fawlty_Turrets #33 Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:21 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 20409 battles

View PostTrilandian, on 17 January 2013 - 03:32 PM, said:

I've played War Thunder for a short while, emphasis on played - past tense. While, on a purely mechanical level, it's a really great game, the reason I'm not playing it right now is because of the absolutely horrific business model.

People might complain about WoT having some pay to win elements, but it's nothing compared to what goes on in War Thunder.

In War Thunder, the default game mode is like the planned garage battle mode for WoT, in which, when a player's vehicle is destroyed, they spawn in another vehicle that they own. The thing with War Thunder is, though, that the limit to how many times you can respawn is determined solely by how many planes you have in the hangar, and you can only expand you hangar past a certain point with, you guessed it, gold.

Speaking of gold, in WoT, you can train your crew to 100% major qualification using gold, but no further. In War Thunder, on the other hand, there is no limit. You can actually buy maxed-out crews.

In summation, unless Gaijin completely revise their business model, I won't be going anywhere near War Thunder.
And that's precisely why I like it. I don't have to grind 300 battles of sheer frustration to get a crew that's competent.I can get the plane I want to fly, make sure it has a crew that actually does what it's supposed to do properly and ...play. It's also CHEAP. $3 to do that to 3-4 planes, $3.........
No hit point pools, actual proper plane damage. It does absoloutely trounce WoWP into the floor. And assuming you are not incompetent-4 planes is MORE than enough for any battle.
And..it is less FRUSTRATING than WOT by a country mile. Most of the battles I have had, have been quite close and FUN. No sub 500 rating zombies throwing games away, actual pitched battles where one guy can get the win.
Another point here and this is a big one for me...
WG had to include fantasy/blueprint planes...WT don't. These things actually saw service.
I've said it before in a previous post-WG you have a competitor coming, that punches well above your weight-what are you going to do to fight them?

future_shock #34 Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:25 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 34729 battles
Played War Thunder a lot. At first it felt great, like a warplane arcade game should feel like: Fast, easy to learn and game economy was somehow OK. But since latest major patch that changed a lot, Gaijin is actually looking how much money they can pull out of their players although this game is IMHO deep beta still. That means they want real money for testing their game.. sure you needn't to pay for it but to have access to some high level planes you need to play weeks and months hardocre mode daily to reach them. If you think WG is greedy than you'll change your mind when you see what Gaijin is doing. I was thinking of leaving WoT for War Thunder but they scared me off resulting in me playing WoT again with premium. Good job WG :)

On top War Thunder is a client based game and there are IMHO already speedhacks and aimhacks available for it. This was the reason i left it because it seems this game will be flooded with hacks / cheats. Good luck though!

Heinkle #35 Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:33 PM

Major

• Player
  • 15114 battles

View Postedfrancis001, on 17 January 2013 - 03:21 PM, said:

please WG drop WOWP, you've lost here hands down, don't divert resources to an obsolete notion, get WOWS out asap, and look what Gaijin have done and try to implement them, you now have a market competitor and they are not to be trifled with

Absolutely agree with this - Gaijin already seem to be the experts in their field, so WG should get the jump on them with WoWS.

How well WT will integrate land battles is not clear. The menu tab is entitled 'Army' rather than 'Tanks', so does that mean more than just tanks? I also think WT will be hard-pressed to initially match the number of tanks WG have implemented in WoT, but I guess it wouldn't be too hard to catch up.

Darkclin #36 Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:43 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 11950 battles

View PostFawlty_Turrets, on 17 January 2013 - 04:21 PM, said:

And that's precisely why I like it. I don't have to grind 300 battles of sheer frustration to get a crew that's competent.I can get the plane I want to fly, make sure it has a crew that actually does what it's supposed to do properly and ...play. It's also CHEAP. $3 to do that to 3-4 planes, $3.........
This is called pay to win, cheap or not doesn't change the fact that paying you can get a very big advantage against other players who didn't pay...

Trilandian #37 Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:43 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 5938 battles
  • [DBDH] DBDH

View PostDarkclin, on 17 January 2013 - 04:43 PM, said:

This is called pay to win, cheap or not doesn't change the fact that paying you can get a very big advantage against other players who didn't pay...

Eyup. Pretty much.

PantherAlex #38 Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:51 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 13590 battles
I also play WT since a few weeks and i really like this game so far.
But this not means that i will stop to play WoT.
Why so much hate for other games? People can play both games.
One Day Wot, One Day WT just for example...

Trilandian #39 Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:00 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 5938 battles
  • [DBDH] DBDH

View PostPantherAlex, on 17 January 2013 - 04:51 PM, said:

Why so much hate for other games? People can play both games.
One Day Wot, One Day WT just for example...

Well, that's only true if you play WoT casually. If you're a hardcore WoT player who sinks hours into it almost every day, then playing other games in parallel becomes problematic.

Hornet331 #40 Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:04 PM

Colonel

• Beta Tester
  • 16285 battles

View PostDarkclin, on 17 January 2013 - 04:43 PM, said:

By the same logic WoT would be the same... you also gain a very big advantage from having a 100% from start.

Its pay to skip/not to grind same as wot (only the extent is different), it would be p2w if you couldn't level any of this skills in a normal way or is unachievable without money. Wait a year or so till WoT income begins to shrink and you can use converted xp to also level your skills.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users