You would be shocked !

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic

WFNecromonger #1 Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:41 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 36748 battles
  • [-TTK-] -TTK-
Im sure most players new and "aged" will play this game enjoying the little toys we take out but have any of you really stood next to a good sized Tank...?

I have visited the excellent "home of the tank" (yes it was a British invention for those that did not know..code "water tank") in Bovington South England and stood next to as well as walked over the top on a special walk way ... the only working Tiger Tank in the world (apparently) and it is HUGE im a tall guy and it dwarfed me !... i cannot describe really how shocked i was...

The Panther as we all see in game is smaller...a nice little toy.......NOT.!... its just as big, its one hell of a beast...!
You would think tanks like the French Char Bis, Sherman... Churchill...Lee... all are pretty small but nope they tower above you.
There are some great museums about so try to get to some and go see these beasts in reality so that you can appreciate the power and size of them.

On many occasions they do a show on a special field in Bovington and extra special days they do take the Tiger out....im sure the crowd runs for cover when they do!

Cotton_Meadow #2 Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:47 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 9284 battles
  • [NLWGG] NLWGG
I live close to a few military bases and few times a year they also present their tanks, ranging from cold war era tanks, modern tanks and also some WW2 tanks (mainly Easy 8's)
But i haven't had the pleasantry of seeing a real Tiger tank yet, or a Panther...

However, i can't say i would be shocked since i kinda grew up surrounded by tanks  :Smile_Default:

Edited by Cotton_Meadow, 20 January 2013 - 11:47 PM.

Chehaut #3 Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:58 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 11805 battles
  • [BEZ] BEZ
Try musee des blindes, Saumur, France. They have a working king tigertank. Very impressive. I believe they drive it for a show once a year.

WFNecromonger #4 Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:02 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 36748 battles
  • [-TTK-] -TTK-

View PostChehaut, on 20 January 2013 - 11:58 PM, said:

Try musee des blindes, Saumur, France. They have a working king tigertank. Very impressive. I believe they drive it for a show once a year.

im lucky being an ex-pat in Germany so i could visit there ...yeah thanks for that !

Superstar31 #5 Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:16 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 13215 battles
I know what ar u talking about I saw Pz4, StugIII and Russian med T 34 damn they ar beasts.. When I saw them I remembered how awesome is to play with this song cus they ar huge mother**ckers  :Smile_glasses: . And I heard that there ar only few Tigers left in the world who are working... :Smile_amazed:

TheSEmperor #6 Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:20 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 6210 battles

View PostWFNecromonger, on 20 January 2013 - 11:41 PM, said:

Im sure most players new and "aged" will play this game enjoying the little toys we take out but have any of you really stood next to a good sized Tank...?

I have visited the excellent "home of the tank" (yes it was a British invention for those that did not know..code "water tank") in Bovington South England and stood next to as well as walked over the top on a special walk way ... the only working Tiger Tank in the world (apparently) and it is HUGE im a tall guy and it dwarfed me !... i cannot describe really how shocked i was...

The Panther as we all see in game is smaller...a nice little toy.......NOT.!... its just as big, its one hell of a beast...!
You would think tanks like the French Char Bis, Sherman... Churchill...Lee... all are pretty small but nope they tower above you.
There are some great museums about so try to get to some and go see these beasts in reality so that you can appreciate the power and size of them.

On many occasions they do a show on a special field in Bovington and extra special days they do take the Tiger out....im sure the crowd runs for cover when they do!

Been there. Tiger 131 wasn't it?

Yeah they have 2 working Tiger IIs as well, one with the Porsche turret and one with a henschel turret. A real surprise for me though was when I stood next to a StuGIII. Jesus was that thing huge. In the game it looks as if it was only the size of a car while the truth is it's larger than a Humvee.

Harabeishio #7 Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:20 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 76 battles
Wait till you see the Maus. (and Adam, who is sitting next to him)

I've been at Kubinka museum.

WFNecromonger #8 Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:23 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 36748 battles
  • [-TTK-] -TTK-

View PostTheSEmperor, on 21 January 2013 - 12:20 AM, said:

Been there. Tiger 131 wasn't it?

Yeah they have 2 working Tiger IIs as well, one with the Porsche turret and one with a henschel turret. A real surprise for me though was when I stood next to a StuGIII. Jesus was that thing huge. In the game it looks as if it was only the size of a car while the truth is it's larger than a Humvee.

its a Sweedish Stug yeah but gives you an insight.... my computer screen savers are photos of both Tiger 2's  ihave a great shot looking down the barrel !

EmperorSafirius #9 Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:26 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 20982 battles

View PostHarabeishio, on 21 January 2013 - 12:20 AM, said:

Wait till you see the Maus. (and Adam, who is sitting next to him)

I've been at Kubinka museum.

Kubinka must be awesome too, but too russian if you ask me. I mean, i've seen the rules they have there...You cant be in a room more than a few minutes, an armed guard walks with u the whole time...sorry, i thought i was in a museum, not a prison :P

But thumbs up for Bovington :) I would love to see the Tiger  :Smile_glasses:

Harabeishio #10 Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:28 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 76 battles

View PostWFNecromonger, on 21 January 2013 - 12:23 AM, said:

its a Sweedish Stug yeah but gives you an insight.... my computer screen savers are photos of both Tiger 2's  ihave a great shot looking down the barrel !

The irony, 70 years ago people feared even seeing that tank, god forbid, they shat their pants if the tank was aiming at them, now people que to look inside the barrel.

Makes you wonder about certain things in life...

TheSEmperor #11 Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:29 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 6210 battles

View PostWFNecromonger, on 21 January 2013 - 12:23 AM, said:

Same. They both have nice cammo on them.

And if you look closely on the Tiger II (with the henschel turret) you can see 2 impact holes on the right side of the hull. I always wonder what hit it there. It's not easy just penetrating 80+ mm of armour.

EmperorSafirius #12 Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:30 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 20982 battles

View PostHarabeishio, on 21 January 2013 - 12:28 AM, said:

The irony, 70 years ago people feared even seeing that tank, god forbid, they shat their pants if the tank was aiming at them, now people que to look inside the barrel.

Makes you wonder about certain things in life...

Go watch the movie: The Beast of War (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094716/).. It gives you a great example of the russian steel and what it can do to a person... :Smile_ohmy:

Edited by EmperorSafirius, 21 January 2013 - 12:31 AM.

Harabeishio #13 Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:34 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 76 battles

View PostEmperorSafirius, on 21 January 2013 - 12:26 AM, said:

Kubinka must be awesome too, but too russian if you ask me. I mean, i've seen the rules they have there...You cant be in a room more than a few minutes, an armed guard walks with u the whole time...sorry, i thought i was in a museum, not a prison :P

But thumbs up for Bovington :) I would love to see the Tiger  :Smile_glasses:

Still, it's totally worth it.

Maj_Havoc #14 Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:53 AM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 5549 battles
You should try working around challenger II in the middle of the night during tactical operations when they don't use lights to let the poor crunchies know where they are. Gives your sphincter the perfect work out; will have you sucking the stones out of cherries using nothing but a straw in no time, still takes me two minutes to get my arse off a seat, not sure those muscles will ever be the same.

However, for those with no death wish Bovington is a great place to visit if you have the time; at 10ft tall the Tog is a monster.

WFNecromonger #15 Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:58 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 36748 battles
  • [-TTK-] -TTK-
yeah forgot about that one, (tog) i also get the chance to watch sometimes the Tanks (German and English) going to and fro from the Ranges in Normandy bks Germany which hexcaliber you would remember well !!... no its not changed and yes awsome ..love them !

Balc0ra #16 Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:04 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 63736 battles
  • [WALL] WALL
They got a WWII museum not far form where I live. Not a large one. Its mostly for stuff the Germans left behind after WWII. But they got some other goodies to.
Like a Chaffee. I was surprised to see how big it was. Only reason why its there is because it was stationed on a base not far form the museum until my country put em out of service. Along with that they got the usual Pz III, Pz38t, T-34 and one T-34-85 along with a few 88 guns.

Hyster #17 Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:12 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 27434 battles
  • [T-S_K] T-S_K
i was lucky. i was at the bovington barracks for 5 months. we had a free pass to go in when ever we wanted to lol
the thing that stock in my mind was the metal plates that had the shells stuck half way through them

skeeta #18 Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:22 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 9687 battles
  • [PATO4] PATO4
I work 20 feet away from a Churchill (looking at it now) and 50 feet away from a Sherman (looking at that too).
The Sherman is pretty much what I'd expect from a med but the Churchill has always struck me as far larger than I'd have imagined.

Kellomies #19 Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:43 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 15159 battles
Somewhat oddly, a decent sense of scale can also be had from an old Kummeli "Music Quiz" sketch thanks to the actors cavorting amongst the exhibitions of the Parola Armour Museum.
Blame Canada. :Smile-tongue:

Britemp2012 #20 Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:43 AM

Private

• Player
  • 9386 battles

View Postskeeta, on 21 January 2013 - 01:22 AM, said:

I work 20 feet away from a Churchill (looking at it now) and 50 feet away from a Sherman (looking at that too).
The Sherman is pretty much what I'd expect from a med but the Churchill has always struck me as far larger than I'd have imagined.

Do you work in Southsea?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users