Best (and Worst) tank NAMES around.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
58 replies to this topic

TheFuzzyOne #1 Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:08 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
So I was just thinking on a wistful way when I was doing work for the "World of Modern Armour" concept (Considering renaming to that) about names and the choices behind how to name a tank.

Then I got to wondering why some of them have such boring names. "T-72." Really? Just a designation? "AMX-30." Are you serious? "Mobile Gun System." As opposed to all those immobile gun systems on other tanks?

I jest, of course. They are all fine as military designations and all have become well known...but what about the opposite end of the spectrum? What about the ones you hear being said and it just holds so much moxy by the very name (regardless of actual ability or whether they were proven good/bad) that you can't help but feel a little swell of "Awww yeeeah!" from just seeing it?

And perhaps if we're feeling cheeky...a few ones we don't like too.

From all of history, so from WW1 all the way to 2013.

So here's my fav few, in no particular order other than the last one being the best.

The Centurion - Want to make your tank sound like a proper warfighter? Name it after some of the most badass warriors who ever lived! It's noble, upright, sounds great to say and implies your tank is still going to be rocking the world as a legend even after 100 years pass. (Which this tank seems well on par to do, it's still in use! Okay maybe not 100, but it's a daaaamn long lasting vehicle.)

The Crusader - When you think "cruiser" you think of this dashing little tank. The name gives such a lovely sense of movement and charging into battle across the desert with daring and courage. proper "cavalry", a "modern" day knight.

The BMPT Terminator - Unofficial name or not, this just draws us whole wealths of fear to hear coming your way. Blame AHNULD for that one. Rarely does a tank's name simply say "I am going to kill you" like this one.

The Merkava - The chariot! The word just rolls off the tongue lovingly, smooth and solid...just like the real thing. I just love saying it. Merkava. Merkava? Merkava!

The Black Prince - It may not have made it to the real war and it may suck in game (opinions may vary!) but you cannot deny how cool a name this is. It's like the good guy version of the Black Knight. Well...maybe an anti-hero at the very least. Standing tall and advancing undeterred by the mere peasant tanks around it...I just love imagining this thing to the title.

The Flugabwehrkanonenpanzer Gepard 1 - I love Germany. Do I really need say anything else with a name like that?

But my all time favourite name?

The Chieftain - How can you NOT love this as the best tank name ever? The very name is saying "I am the leader here. I am the top of the tribe. The Alpha Wolf. I am in charge because I am stronger than anyone else here." It's solid, intimidating and absolutely confident. You can imagine it from the enemy's perspective! "Sir, enemy Chieftain over the hill!" Not only that, but you don't get the concept of a Chieftain outside anything but the imagery of a warlike tribe where it has battered his way to the top through experience, cunning and brute strength in one unstoppable package that earned its respect from all manner of peers who tried to get there too. This is, hands down, the best and most powerful sounding tank name I have ever seen.

But what about some I really don't like?

The TAM Tank - TAM? Really? I live in Scotland, that's the name of a scruffy looking drunkard who always smells at the pub, not the name for a noble chariot of war!

The Europanzer - It took me long enough to accept "Eurofighter" only after we added "Typhoon" to it. But "Europanzer?" It's so...commercial. Like something you'd see in an affordable car showroom in Belgium.

PT-91 Twardy - This just makes me think this tank was tardy in returning its library books and has incurred a 91 pound fine on his Personal Tracking. Honestly, when you go to war you often find your enemy making joke names for you...but this one's already done the work for them! (Edit - I've been told in comments this apparently means "tough" or "hard" in the native tongue, which is actually pretty cool. But this was mostly just for fun and to English speaking areas...it does sound a silly word. :p)

The Challenger - Wait...what? Did I seriously just include the freaking Challenger, one of my most beloved tanks, on this? Yes, I did. For three reasons. For one...we already had a Challenger in WW2. Two, the CR2 is pretty much a completely different tank from CR1 and they just added a damn number? But three...the very name!  Challenger!  Coming off the Chieftain which went out and said "I am the boss" in every language possible, we get a tank who's very name is implying it's not on the top and is having to challenge for the top dog spot? The very name is saying "I am not on the top yet." Maybe they were thinking it was the Challenger to beat the Chieftain who held the throne already...but it just feels wrong for me. I can't help that they could have thought up an original name that had more oomph of meaning behind it.

So guys...what about yours? I gave a lot, but no need to do as much...or do more! Whatever you want.

Edited by TheFuzzyOne, 31 January 2013 - 09:59 PM.

Aerthryn #2 Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:14 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
Edward The Black Prince of Wales.. undefeated dominator of europe.. that's what it refers to..
i guess to put this in a modern culture context it's like internet folk calling a tank The Chuck Norris..

i was actually just coming on to possibly start a thread about tank nicknames..
i called the JPe-100 The Battleship. for obvious reasons.. lol
and i call my FV215b the Phoebe because the video introducing the British tanks it kept saying FEE VEE when talking of the tier 10s.. and it ends in B.. and it's a girl's name.. :D

back to your topic though...
The Tiger... i know, i am so original.. but when i first bought this tank and took it out for my first drive.. i just was like  Yes... this feels RIGHT...
i did change my tune a bit once i saw combat like most people who are still learning to play, stock Tiger is not a forgiving mistress.. and this was back when 4 tier spreads were not uncommon .. but once i got it upgraded i was back in the awesome seat, hehe.. i got my very first Top Gun medal after researching the tracks.. extra mobility.. Tiger say GRAAR"

The Caernarvon... i like the name but it's not the reason why i liked driving this tank exactly.. the fact is when playing tank companies the dutch-accented field commanders kept saying it in a way that sounded exactly like Carnivore which always felt epic.. lol

i like The Black Prince too, as i mentioned already.. Edward, The Black Prince of wales.. when soldiers marched against him they knew perfectly well that their main chance of survival was to outlive their commander and surrender... part of the reason i love this tank is not just the fact it kicks all available ass but it's the fact that historically, if Britain hadn't neglected tank research to the degree that it was.. then the Churchill: Black Prince would have been the tank sent head to head with Tigers, not Cromwells.. and they would have won.. it only took one or two shots into a tiger to wipe it out with a 17 pounder.. it was a scary ass M-Fer of a gun.. there's a reason the shermans mounted with this were called firefly..

which brings me to the last tank i will commit to this list.. Sherman Firefly... and not just because it reminds me of the sci-fi western series, lol.. when this tank comes out (it is likely to be a premium, possibly tier 6 if it's a TD and if its a medium i'd expect tier 7.. nothing is confirmed, the only thing the devs have said is that it wil NOT be part of the tech-tree) i am buying it immediately, because so many other people will i doubt it could be for sale for very long.. the numbers will go Type 59 on us overnight i am sure..

Catarraz #3 Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:26 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
King Tiger MUST apply as one of the best military names ever. The King!  :Smile-izmena:

TheFuzzyOne #4 Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:31 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
I would have included that but for the imagery of a Tiger with a cartoonish crown on its head in the wilds of the plains.

Blame childhood documentries that did such stuff. :p

Yamaxanadu #5 Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:47 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
Well, Russians have a sense of humor too... HWP "Armata" can be translated as HWP "Weapon".

Catarraz #6 Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:55 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles

View PostTheFuzzyOne, on 28 January 2013 - 02:31 AM, said:

I would have included that but for the imagery of a Tiger with a cartoonish crown on its head in the wilds of the plains.

Blame childhood documentries that did such stuff. :p

I wonder then what would childhood documentaries do to your impression of the Valentine  :Smile_veryhappy: already didn't do me much good.

You know, when you think about it, although it may be a matter of opinion, I think the Matilda has a really nice ring to it, despite being of course the total opposite of anything like Tiger or Panther... It's like something close and personal you can rely on contrasting with brutal war :wub:

Edited by UMM, 28 January 2013 - 03:01 AM.

TheFuzzyOne #7 Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:11 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
Yeah, I actually paused on thinking of that one when writing the first post. But then I remembered how much the British especially love to attach endearing names to their things. We turn Challenger into Chally. Typhoon into Tiffy. Tornado into Tonka. "Matilda" sort of matches in with the whole "Queen of the Desert" concept. It has a lovely air to it in a very romantic way you just don't see anymore in the world of making everything sound edgy and high tech.

Chillin1248 #8 Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:59 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Centurion is still one of the best.

Kyphe #9 Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:53 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
HOW COULD YOU!!!

BIG WILLY!

and Little willy hehehe

oh mein gott 450 große willys greifen unsere Gräben

put that through google translate lol

and crusader is a good name

I kind of feel Hitler or his propaganda people recognized like the American press did that the British habit of giving things names helped the public identify with those vehicles, hence the change from pz III or VI to panther and tiger

The_Duellist #10 Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:53 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
To sum it up British and German had and still have the most sound names for their tanks...Naming It was part of psychological warfare as well... Not easy hearing from commander "We got The King Tiger/Royal Tiger at our flank!" and "The formation of Centurions are rolling down on us!". Quite scary when you think of it.

Blue_Badger #11 Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:59 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
I love any of the German big cats. Its just a great way make your tanks have even more preasance.

The name Marder just sounds cool.

I love pretty much all the British names starting with C. All of them named after historical figures or stirring adjectives etc. some of the most original names out there all apart from...

Tanks I don't like the names of

The Comet. I mean after the crusader, cromwell, challenger the Comet just seems a bit weak, whimsical.

The Abrams. Seriously is this even a word? If its a name I would have chosen someone else, its like someones trying to play scrabble here (like most American names then  :Smile_veryhappy: )

The Lince. I know it never got beyond prototype stages but the name just soulds a bit limp. Oh No! Here comes a Lince. Just doesn't have much weight behind it.

MetalOffca #12 Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:24 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
Here comes Valentine khy khy khy....

Yamaxanadu #13 Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:52 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles

View PostBlue_Badger, on 28 January 2013 - 09:59 AM, said:

The Abrams. Seriously is this even a word? If its a name I would have chosen someone else, its like someones trying to play scrabble here (like most American names then  :Smile_veryhappy: )
It was named after this guy. I think he did a lot more than you during his life. =)

Exocet6951 #14 Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:14 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
The worst:
Leopard 2 - first of all, the tank is enormous and it's named after a modest-sized feline, meh, especially considering Germany's past at naming tank with bad ass names. Then the "2" at the end really feels like the naming commission ran out of kitty names and just slapped a 2 at the end. Lame.

Type 99 - Holy hell, "type" has the bland aspect of a standard designation, with the added bonus of being longer to write. Boring and annoying? No. Then 99? Come on, this isn't some marketing ploy to make the tank feel less expensive! Type-100, hell, type-1000 would be a little more awesome.

Challenger - What/who does it challenge? Bad name Brits, you were on a roll with the Centurion ,Chieftain, and Comet, but Challenger? The name had big shoes to fill but it just disappointed.

The best

Lion of Babylon - Holy hell yes! The tank is terrible, but the name? First of all, a lion. You don't screw with a lion. And Babylon? What a city of Legend! So a lion from Babylon? If I were going by the name alone, I would half expect the tank to pounce and bite the enemy's head off.

T-80UM Black Eagle - First of all, T-80 sounds like the name of a terminator. Sweet. UM? "Ultra Marine"? Kick ass! Black Eagle? So you are telling me that not only the top of the food chain, apex predator bird of prey is ALSO the scientifically proven to be the coolest "color"? YES! It may sound infantile, like ninja assassin, but no, the combination of it all is just good.

Blue_Badger #15 Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:35 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles

View PostYamaxanadu, on 28 January 2013 - 10:52 AM, said:

It was named after this guy. I think he did a lot more than you during his life. =)

I don't doubt, just sounds silly. Not the typical strong sounding name you would choose for an armoured vehicle. I mean look at the names of other tanks named after generals.

Leclerc just sounds typically french and romantic, especially as he was such a famous figure.
Jackson/ Slugger a strong name all round.
Cromwell, a name from a romantisised historical figure.

Abrams isn't that well known to lend some of his reputation to the tank and his name is meh.

Kyphe #16 Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:24 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles

View PostBlue_Badger, on 28 January 2013 - 12:35 PM, said:

I don't doubt, just sounds silly. Not the typical strong sounding name you would choose for an armoured vehicle. I mean look at the names of other tanks named after generals.

Leclerc just sounds typically french and romantic, especially as he was such a famous figure.
Jackson/ Slugger a strong name all round.
Cromwell, a name from a romantisised historical figure.

Abrams isn't that well known to lend some of his reputation to the tank and his name is meh.

well I think they had a choice between him and the MacARTHUR lol

TheFuzzyOne #17 Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:16 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles

View PostKyphe, on 28 January 2013 - 01:24 PM, said:

well I think they had a choice between him and the MacARTHUR lol

MacArthur at least sounds more Scottish. Makes it a good bit cooler in my book. :p

I just think of Abrams as in J.J.Abrams. Lots of light and flashy effects/lens flares with very little substance behind it.

(I keeeeeeed! I keeeeeeeed!)

Edited by TheFuzzyOne, 28 January 2013 - 02:17 PM.

KOred #18 Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:41 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
Saying your riding round on a LITTLE WILLIE..would sound so gay.

Matilda...rubbish..like naming a tank after your mum.

Covenanter...dull.

Best names...Panther...Centurion..Comet..King Tiger...Tiger...Leopard 1/2 also great names.

Edited by KOred, 28 January 2013 - 02:53 PM.

coldnexusfrontline #19 Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:13 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
T-99 almost sounds like the Terminator eheheh

DeuZerre #20 Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:46 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 0 battles
Most french tanks are terribad at this.

AMX this, AMX that... I mean come on! There's no difference in name between AMX-40 (Old prototype quackquack), the other AMX-40 (Wanabe exports improvement of the... AMX-30) the AMX-13 we have in game... There even is the aberration of having the AMX-10P as a tracked IFV with an autocanon but the AMX-10RC being a 6 wheeled badass of a tank destroyer. They don't even sound good. Only recently with the leclerc (and the light wheeled sagaie... That also has 3 letters: ELX-90) have they decided to go away from AMX for anything armoured...

AMX doesn't even sound cool, even in French.