do you believe? 12 forum myths (or facts?)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
33 replies to this topic

Poll: Are these facts? (474 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 250 battles in order to participate this poll.

Are these facts?

1. kill stealing exists (191 votes [7.60%])

Percentage of vote: 7.60%

2. stat padding exists (287 votes [11.43%])

Percentage of vote: 11.43%

3. the higher the winrate the better the player (194 votes [7.72%])

Percentage of vote: 7.72%

4. arty ruins the game (146 votes [5.81%])

Percentage of vote: 5.81%

5. newbie bashing (aka seal clubbing) exists (277 votes [11.03%])

Percentage of vote: 11.03%

6. you can get to tier X without paying money (361 votes [14.37%])

Percentage of vote: 14.37%

7. kill em all is better than win by capping (145 votes [5.77%])

Percentage of vote: 5.77%

8. dice roll decides many games (235 votes [9.36%])

Percentage of vote: 9.36%

9. german tanks are worse than others (98 votes [3.90%])

Percentage of vote: 3.90%

10. some tanks are OP (336 votes [13.38%])

Percentage of vote: 13.38%

11. MM usually decides the battle result (192 votes [7.64%])

Percentage of vote: 7.64%

12. you get better MM with premium (50 votes [1.99%])

Percentage of vote: 1.99%

Vote Hide poll

unknown_object #1 Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:01 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 10069 battles
There are lots of theories about many topics around.

I wonder how many of the people do really believe in these myths / facts (who knows?).

If you do not know what I am talking about just skip the option.

Raptur3 #2 Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:06 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 21562 battles
so we are supposed to choose options which we think are myths or facts ? :D

You should rewrite that question dude

unknown_object #3 Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:08 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 10069 battles

View PostRaptur3, on 07 February 2013 - 07:06 PM, said:

so we are supposed to choose options which we think are myths or facts ? :D

You should rewrite that question dude

good point. Thanks.

Wiewion #4 Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:11 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 25877 battles
  • [CYOU] CYOU
Why its only 1 option avainable to pick q.q

Celution #5 Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:11 PM

Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 26226 battles

arty in its current design ruins the potential more aggessive/open gameplay

Fixed, as arty could be designed in a much better way so that it's more fun to play while having a smaller influence on the gameplay as a whole.

unknown_object #6 Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:15 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 10069 battles

View PostHellfire_Raider, on 07 February 2013 - 07:11 PM, said:

Why its only 1 option avainable to pick q.q

That was fixed 10 seconds after I posted the poll. Please refresh your browser, perhaps you have opened the poll in that 10 seconds. Sorry.

Earl_Grey #7 Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:18 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 10098 battles
Are these facts?
kill stealing exists   - Yes it exists but it's not really a problem
stat padding exists   - Of course you make 2nd account when you have many battles experience on the first and skip bad tanks, you will pad your stats
the higher the winrate the better the player  -  not necessarily, there have been screenshots of bots with 55% w/r with over 150 battles, but at very high w/r I agree skill shows of these players (specifically non-platoon/cw)
arty ruins the game   - to some extent, if there are too many on each team for example, but 2-3 and it's fine
newbie bashing (aka seal clubbing) exists   -  yep, again not much of a problem since you can advance out of low tiers very fast
you can get to tier X without paying money   -  yes you can, have seen 1 or 2 posters show some screenshots, although it's not proof it's believable by the amount of battles and vehicles unlocked
kill em all is better than win by capping  -  I believe it is, more xp this way for the whole team, however capping is a better option in a few cases
german tanks are worse than others   -  on the whole German tanks are pretty good, only the top tier vehicles let them down
dice roll decides many games   -   they don't decide games, but they can influence them somewhat
some tanks are OP   -  yes of course, no game is balanced (except perhaps checkers?) some tanks do better than others at the same role and tier
MM usually decides the battle result  -   definitely not, maybe in extreme cases but there are other factors such as map/ which route the team decides to go/dice rolls
you get better MM with premium   -  not sure, I only play with premium account so can't say if it's true.

Edited by Earl_Grey, 07 February 2013 - 07:19 PM.

AIM_120_AMRAAM #8 Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:20 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 9641 battles
  • [D0LAN] D0LAN
a) Kill stealing exists, but it is extremely rare by nature. I'm always glad, if I kill a gun that is pointing at someone else, or if someone does the same with the barrel aimed at me, because that means I didn't let the enemy inflict damage upon me or my ally.

b) Stat Padding exists. Cap whoring, camping the base for def points and so on are all rather dubious methods to increase the efficiency rating. WN6 might help with this.

c) "The higher the winrate, the better the player" - I wouldn't say it that way, but it is true more often than not. Even if the individual efficiency is rather low, a high WR means that you are successful at Platooning/TC/CW and they woldn't take in bad people, would they?

d) Arty ruins the game - That's up to perception. I don't think so. Many others might do it.

e) Noob Bashing exists - though it is again up to perception. Is it Noob Bashing if I take my Panzer II for a spin with my brother when the staggering amount of supidity in the Higher Tiers just annoys the hell out of us? Another case might be the 3-Player T18 platoons, loaded up with 75mm HEAT and just nuking everything to Hell and back, though I wouldn't even call this Noob Bashing. Everyone does, what is the most fun.

f) You can get to Tier X without RL-Monies - fact and true. You just need a generally lacking attribute for this game: Patience

g) Kill als > Capping - no. I do whatever it takes to win the Battle. If cap is more promising, so be it.

h) Dice roll is decisive - bunch of bull by frustrated and mostly bad players.

i) German Tanks are inferior to everyone else - again, bunch of bull. There are a lot competetive and fun German Tanks - you maybe just have to strain the brain a little, to play them successfully: And that's the problem for a lot of people. No "RL-Tiger-nukes-everything-on-a-gazillion-kilometers!!!!!111". That doesn't mean they are bad.

j) Some tanks are OP - matter of perception. There might be some damn good tanks, but everyone has a severe weakness to be countered. In the end, every tank can be dispatched by clever and smart gameplay.

k) MM decides the outcome of the battle - Well, if you've got 14 potatoes on your team, winning 1vs15 might get a little hard, eh? That's the random part in Random. Next game might be the same for the enemy.

l) Premium gets you better MM - bunch of bull again by frustrated and mostly bad players. People who complain about stuff that didnt cost them even a single penny are a remarkable sight.

I always have to imagine the following: If they win some car for 25.000 € on some lottery, would they still complain about certain stuff missing, like missing Xenon-Lights or some Comfort-Stufff? I don't think so. Everyone would be "OHMAIGOSH I ACTUALLY WON!!!"

I'll tick the stuff now, since you changed it, but this is supposed to be the rather long form.

Some are facts, some are myths invented by frustrated and mostly bad players to have a reason except themselves for their failure. It's like real-life politics: No one wants to openly admit, that they suck hard or messed something up, of course.

sword_of_Damocles #9 Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:25 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 60164 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
Voted and,therefore,believe those 3

dice roll decides many games
some tanks are OP
MM usually decides the battle result

Ioituma #10 Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:45 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 10041 battles
Thinly veiled "are you an idiot? Yes. No." poll. Curious to see the numbers  :happy:

Rautaa #11 Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:47 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 14947 battles
  • [_NB_] _NB_
Kill stealing exists - Yes, in the form it has taken in WoT: Not taking a shot before target is at low health. I have seen this often on the battlefield.
Stat padding exists - Definitely yes. Some people like to pad their stats. Though not much of an issue IMO...
The higher the winrate the better the player - I voted no. As a rule of thumb, this is true, but win rate alone can't be used to rank players. Other factors must be observed.
Arty ruins the game - Voted no again. The statement is too simple, because even with arty, it all comes down to balance.
Newbie bashing (aka seal clubbing) exists - Yes it does. But playing tier 5 is not seal clubbing. Pedotanking IMO is pretty much limited to tier 1. On tier 2, there are already premium tanks, so...
You can get to tier X without paying money - Easily. Not only can you get to tier 10 without paying, you can get to tier 10 without playing.
Kill em all is better than win by capping - Voted yes, in terms of game mechanics. Tactically the issue is complicated.
Dice roll decides many games - Yes it does. A lucky roll can end the battle for a key tank, and the game is over from there.
German tanks are worse than others - Just no.
Some tanks are OP - Yes. Some tanks are clearly better than their peers, or have exploitable features (think gold derp here).
MM usually decides the battle result - Not really. Dice rolls maybe, but the MM decides nothing.
You get better MM with premium - Last one made me laugh. No. (Unless we are talking about carebear tanks?  :Smile_ohmy:  )

zmeul #12 Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:53 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 19552 battles

stat padding exists (70 votes [10.74%])
lol at this one!
stats padding towards what goal? getting medals, pins and other type of award doesn't give the player XP and/or Cr reward - except if there's an special event
getting a higher W/L ratio also has no value since the MM is not based on player stats

stats padding is done towards getting an advantage, but since there is no advantage to be gained ... stats padding in WoT, LOL!

joyuesp #13 Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:03 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 51264 battles
  • [KAZNA] KAZNA
1º kill stealing is useless, since you get no credit reward and just 10-15 xp for it, you will lose credits for that hit(average damage-hp taken= damage wasted)
2º perfectly possible, but still requires a lot of battles to overfeed a crew.
3º mostly, good players usually end winning more since they do way more damage and teamwork than the rest, making it easier to win the round if their team isnt completely clueless
4º arti is a part of the game, if a team is really good arti wont shine, if the team is mediocre to bad arti will do all the dirty job(how many shots do you think one arti can do in a 3 min fight?).
5º same as stat padding, you usually take advantage of the low crews and lack of skill of the noobs
6º perfectly possible, you just need to find a nice tech tree with easy grinds, by example the french tanks destroyers or us heavy tanks, the french one can be played with the last cannon of the previous tier(t5 and over), the us one has no cannon upgrade in t8 and the first m103 cannon does the job(just 24k xp)
7º depends, for the capper is better cap, for the player who will get the kill/damage is better kill, but also there is a secondary issue, the cappers mostly do nothing on the battle.
8º aiming isnt perfect, with bad luck a shot can go to their tracks, with good you can damage important modules, by example engine fire is a chance, or a critical hit on the ammorack is instant death.
9º europe noobs usually go first for the german tree, so as expected they underperform and think the tanks are useless. but in ru server the ru tanks have worse stats than germans by the same reason.
10º obvious, all tree lines have ups and downs, one tier can be excellent(like a well used is3/kv1s, and other can be disappointing like the is8), the point is, as sooner you pass the bad tanks the better, since in
later tiers it will become more expensive to run.
11º yes, bad players will get some easy wins to reach 49% and good players will get really difficult battles to lose(like playing a t3 in a t5 battle filled with bots), but nothing is definitive, you can still win a difficult round and you can lose a easy battle.
12º i still have these braindead noobs in my team, i have to earn my victories...

Speed_Of_Pain #14 Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:05 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 5776 battles
  • [READ] READ
kill stealing exists   - Yes
stat padding exists   - yes
arty ruins the game   - it needs to be nerfed damage 50% because of oneshoting tier X... ridiculous...
you can get to tier X without paying money   -  yes but i'ts really HARD
german tanks are worse than others   -  no  they just don't have autoloader it's different gamplay
dice roll decides many games   -  no
some tanks are OP   -  no
MM usually decides the battle result  -  It tries but can't when I'm playing ;)
you get better MM with premium   -  no in fact I oftenly play wose with premium because I know I will get credits anyway.

Insoucious #15 Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:19 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 10892 battles
Finally a good thread, waw!
By the way, I voted.

Innocuous #16 Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:35 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 19641 battles
kill stealing exists
No. Kills are meaningless anyway (even more so now you can see damage done after battle).

stat padding exists
Yes. It happens, but to be honest not enough to significantly reduce the accuracy of stuff like XVM. Generally even with padding the players are as good as the colour indicates.

the higher the winrate the better the player
Yes. Like other stats it can be padded, but again not significantly enough to render the stat inaccurate.

arty ruins the game
Well I voted yes, but generally it's more a problem with numbers and map design (funnelling all the tanks into tiny, easily covered areas). Arty could have a few things about it changed, but arty alone isn't the game ruiner.

newbie bashing (aka seal clubbing) exists
Yes, I don't approve and it's a pain when you're grinding up a new line, but to be honest I don't play at those levels enough to be significantly affected. Whatever floats your boat.

you can get to tier X without paying money
Yes. Takes longer, but is naturally possible.

kill em all is better than win by capping
Yes. Experience and credits wise. No if you (even slightly) reduce the chances of victory by doing so.

dice roll decides many games
Yes. Heck I just had a game won because I managed a lucky engine shot on a TD that would've dominated me otherwise (Full HP vs 1 shot). With all the randomness with accuracy, penetration, damage, module damage etc. Along with the MM decisions on what the team make up is and the luck on getting Reds or Purples.

Skill however matters in the long run, turning games lesser players may of lost into wins.

german tanks are worse than others
No. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. The 2 tier 10 heavies are a bit of a joke (though they can be effective), but the lines in general aren't that bad.

some tanks are OP
Yes. I doubt any game is perfectly balanced.

MM usually decides the battle result
Yes. it can usually deal out some freaky teams, both tank selection and player skill wise. Random MM is random.

you get better MM with premium
No. Made me laugh though.

Red_Valkyrie #17 Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:42 PM

Private

• Player
  • 1732 battles
kill stealing exists   - Yes it exists but it's not really a problem
stat padding exists   - Of course you make 2nd account when you have many battles experience on the first and skip bad tanks, you will pad your stats-To a certain degree.
the higher the winrate the better the player  -  not necessarily, I have seen a few utter garbage players with high win rates.
arty ruins the game   - if the arty party happens to target you ALL AT ONCE then aye. But lost way more games because of what our heavies do, or don't more likely.
newbie bashing (aka seal clubbing) exists   -  yep, again not much of a problem since you can advance out of low tiers very fast
you can get to tier X without paying money   -  Yes you can if you are a raging masochist.
kill em all is better than win by capping  -  If killing all gets the win aye. If capping is the better option in that instance, then hell no. Lost games due to killfarmers.
german tanks are worse than others   -  False.
dice roll decides many games   -   7 random misses in a row, followed by 4 0 penning hits? 300+  pen guns bouncing off of 25 mm of armour?  They can, SOMETIMES.
some tanks are OP   -  KV1S and erm KV1S.
MM usually decides the battle result  -   Not usually..but it often can stack the game in one team's favour by a LARGE margin.
you get better MM with premium   - Lol nope. mm is cack regardless:)

Rautaa #18 Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:47 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 14947 battles
  • [_NB_] _NB_

View PostInnocuous, on 07 February 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

kill stealing exists
No. Kills are meaningless anyway (even more so now you can see damage done after battle).

stat padding exists
Yes. It happens, but to be honest not enough to significantly reduce the accuracy of stuff like XVM. Generally even with padding the players are as good as the colour indicates.

You are contradicting yourself. You deny the existence of kill stealing by saying kills are meaningless, but then what are stats if not meaningless? So stat padding can't exist if stats are meaningless, correct?

Furthermore, kills per battle is one of those stats that a lot of people like to pad. So if to improve stats, those people engage in shooting at low HP targets instead of optimal target priority, doesn't that mean kill stealing exists if stat padding exists?

Innocuous #19 Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:03 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 19641 battles

View PostRautaa, on 07 February 2013 - 08:47 PM, said:

You are contradicting yourself. You deny the existence of kill stealing by saying kills are meaningless, but then what are stats if not meaningless? So stat padding can't exist if stats are meaningless, correct?
Furthermore, kills per battle is one of those stats that a lot of people like to pad. So if to improve stats, those people engage in shooting at low HP targets instead of optimal target priority, doesn't that mean kill stealing exists if stat padding exists?

Well I don't consider kills per battle a important stat (DPB for specific tanks, I would look at instead - for everything except scouts at least), so I ignored it for the stat padding thing - especially since cap per battle or spotted per battle are much easier to get big numbers with.

nerderklaus #20 Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:49 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 45508 battles
  • [HARDS] HARDS
Are these facts?
    kill stealing exists (110 votes [8.20%])    5 shots, 5 kills, 500 damage, T110E5, common
    stat padding exists (139 votes [10.36%])   new stat account, over camping, converting around stock and bad tanks, cap whoring, tank selection based on stats, high amounts of tripple platoon games
    the higher the winrate the better the player (100 votes [7.45%])   worst bullshit ever, IQ above 75 should be enough to realize that different game types summarized make this uncomparable and an IQ over 50 should be enough to recognize the 1 of 15 situations
    arty ruins the game (79 votes [5.89%])  noobs who stand in a bush until killed by it ruin the game for their team, most common in tier x randoms
    newbie bashing (aka seal clubbing) exists (140 votes [10.43%])   well, you got lots of them in most random battles...
    you can get to tier X without paying money (188 votes [14.01%])   sure, it only is way more work... these 10 euro per month or less really pay off though as it saves huge amounts of time
    kill em all is better than win by capping (76 votes [5.66%]) depends, no general statement possible, 15-14 victory with defender, 14 kills and 15k damage should be best though :)
    dice roll decides many games (127 votes [9.46%])   you mean stuff like who gets the tier x platoon hiding behind own arties? main factor of solo random winrates
    german tanks are worse than others (61 votes [4.55%])   frontal transmission... the high hp and high armor tank virtually can be disable with 2 hits thanks to that
    some tanks are OP (175 votes [13.04%])   are you serious asking this and why do so many people not realize that they can check multiple answers?
    MM usually decides the battle result (115 votes [8.57%])  in the random battles definetely... most are quick destructions with 33-84% of one team not doing anything
    you get better MM with premium (32 votes [2.38%])   still getting cheated over the limit with unwinnable games that don't get evened out while using premium

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users