The Comet...

british comet medium 77mm flanking

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

commander_luna #1 Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:01 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
I really like this tank, i really do but so help me. i feel so useless in it sometimes. :Smile_mellow:

The comet has everything you want in a medium support tank, It's fast, fairly agile but it's little brother the cromwell excelled even better at this, so it was an even better flanker. The comet has a nice second turret and the mantlet can bounce as long as you can use the terrain like a smart guy.

As for armour: it's a medium, the terrain is your sheild.   :Smile-hiding:

But the fact is, you have a terrible, terrible top gun to fight things with. and even worse, you have to fight teir 9 regularly with a gun that was researched on a teir 5 tank the pretty good at teir 6 vickers HV. before "upgrading" to a... the same gun again with no noticeable change whatsoever, the 77mm.

The Comet would be everything if the 77mm had 158 pen Only 10mm more pen would make this tank a keeper, and less frustrating.

Thats right, I am not asking for much, no matter how much I would love to have more, that is all this tank needs. It is perfect if the 77mm had that pen, because you still cannot fight T7 heavies frontally, but now you can actually penetrate their sides like you are supposed to instead of dinging away giving your foes steel wall without the effort. a terrible enemy to fight is the KV5 for example, with 148 pen you cannot penetrate his sides at all. and his weakspots like R2D2 bounce my shells effortlessly over and over again  (low pen rolls? or full of trolls?) either way you feel useless flanking in most matches.

The Comet is heavily reliant on it's team. it is not a roflstomper, or lone wolf, it is a teamplayer and being in T8-9 games while severly undergunned you can still matter. because at that teir you have good RoF and accuracy and when you are able to shoot and pen over and over this tank begins to make you smile, it's a reward for your skilled flanking and thinking. pairing with another medium its a great way to succed in the comet, esspecially unlikely alliances like the panther, because while he can pen their front you can go flank their side. Overall a really fun tank to play and suits it's medium role better than many other mediums!  :Smile_veryhappy:

TL:DR the top gun needs 10mm more pen, a tiny tweak to make this tank not so useless in its high MM.

Minio #2 Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:12 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
I loved Comet as it is right now, not too good, not too bad.
As in most cases, great tank in right hands ;-)

Remember, this tank forces you to think before you take any step, keep that in mind and you will own with it ;-)

commander_luna #3 Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:18 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles

View PostMinio, on 08 February 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:

I loved Comet as it is right now, not too good, not too bad.
As in most cases, great tank in right hands ;-)

Remember, this tank forces you to think before you take any step, keep that in mind and you will own with it ;-)

I will agree with this. as with most of the british line, using the stock BRAIN is very important, keeping aware of what's behind you, to your side and possibly above you in this tank is paramount!

But it really needs something more from that 14k xp spent also. it's a complete waste and needs something better at least. and PEN is really lacking, the only thing keeping it from being an effective flanker when in T8-9 fights. and heck even in its own teir and below that is now swamped with Tiger P recently..?

Minio #4 Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:28 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View Postcommander_luna, on 08 February 2013 - 10:18 PM, said:

I will agree with this. as with most of the british line, using the stock BRAIN is very important, keeping aware of what's behind you, to your side and possibly above you in this tank is paramount!

But it really needs something more from that 14k xp spent also. it's a complete waste and needs something better at least. and PEN is really lacking, the only thing keeping it from being an effective flanker when in T8-9 fights. and heck even in its own teir and below that is now swamped with Tiger P recently..?

I'm afraid that the penetration of british tanks is a WG's way to force you to use at least 5 golden shells per battle...
Same goes for Black Prince which is waaaay to slow to flank so you have to face high tier enemies from front with too little penetration... So you just HAVE to switch to gold ammo just to penetrate for that puny 150 damage...

Let's face it, even best players spend much more credits just to play those tanks effectively which forces us to play more real cash bought money-makers.
It's business and if I were in their position, I'm afraid I would do the same... (sad)

Minio #5 Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:29 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
In addition I have to say, that those low pen tanks made me play with much more brain and now when I play "normal" tank I am way more effective :-P

commander_luna #6 Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:39 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
I hate it. sorry i hate it so much when someone just says: "use gold rounds. sorry" it's like what's the point of being a medium then? also the gold rounds for the 77mm are CRAP. and cost SO MUCH, not everyone is rich and it's only making the rich players richer. it's giving up on the glorious medium game. the rof is nice but only when you actually PEN so that goes out the window with the small alpha. I haven't felt so useless in a tank when facing T7-8-9 heavies yet. the scary thing is that they will come for you and the know you can't even scratch them and team members calling you uselss. I know where to aim my guns. i know weakspots off by heart but it can't pen those even.  :Smile-hiding:

WG you are very cruel. you know it.  :Smile_smile:

gazzer21 #7 Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:40 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
Comet is great once you get over the disapointment when you first get in it.
I did the churchill grinds first before I got mine so worked out how to use the guns before hand.

planing ahead is always a good idea with low pen guns and no armour.

Dont mean to be rude but if you cant get a Cromwell to work for you, going by your stats in it, you have little hope of making a Comet work.

commander_luna #8 Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:49 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
I actually found myself great in the cromwell! it was a blast! the comet is the same tank again, but a little slower? its bemusing to say the least, but it's not the comet, its the tanks it fights with the gun it has. cromwell did not have this problem. and yes i already have everything on the comet thanks to the chuchills too. the cromwell was super fast flanking fun. the comet cannot do this anywhere near as good. they are essentially the same tank to me. is that what i am doing wrong? should i not flank? since it's the only way to do decent damage because you can't snipe it's really odd. and much harder than it's little beast brother. :Smile_Default:

saml6131 #9 Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:57 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
The Comet as a tank, although not as good as the Cromwell, is pretty good and versatile in itself.

It's pretty quick, pretty agile, great gun depression and a half decent turret.

The only problem with it is the gun as you have so said.

The Damage is fairly low, but that's offset by the good accuracy and good rate of fire.

Problem is, trying to penetrate your opponent.

Even the side armour of the IS-3 can absorb your shots easily. Weakspots such as the lower glacis on a Tiger II can still bounce, and the only reliable way of penetrating the front of a T29 is to shoot the hull MG.

The tank is great, but the only bad thing is the lack of penetration.

I'd recommend buying as many gold shells as you can over this weekend. They're half price, so you can always sell them back after the special for your money back. At least it should solve the penetration issue, until you run out of money.

commander_luna #10 Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:00 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles

View Postsaml6131, on 08 February 2013 - 10:57 PM, said:

The tank is great, but the only bad thing is the lack of penetration.

:Smile_great:  it would be fun to play if it had just a little more, 158 and i am a happy commander with an even happier gunner. not that you can control the battle in any aspect. but it would ease the severe pain of a near perfectly balanced medium. WG you almost did it right! just a little more.

commander_luna #11 Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:05 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
Well. there is always the 3.7 derp. you know, the one you unlock on a T3 tank. our only hope to damage to at ALL COSTS (except gold ammo costs) and forget IS3's their spaced sides and tracks eat your shells. most of T8+ is quite safe from you. tigerII is easier due to its high profile sides of 82mm armour. but not much else really. americans and soviets are hard game for comet.

Joking though about the derp, my hit ratio is nice and i aim to keep it that way  :Smile_Default:

saml6131 #12 Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:58 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles

View Postcommander_luna, on 08 February 2013 - 11:00 PM, said:

:Smile_great:  it would be fun to play if it had just a little more, 158 and i am a happy commander with an even happier gunner. not that you can control the battle in any aspect. but it would ease the severe pain of a near perfectly balanced medium. WG you almost did it right! just a little more.

I would personally prefer it if they gave it the 17 pounder.

The only real advantages over the 77 HV is the extra penetration. The small amount of damage is made up for by the change in rof. A lower DPM than the 77mm, same accuracy and aim time.

Give the people the option. A higher penetration shot but with a longer reload, or the faster firing gun with less penetration.

Besides, if the Panther can get a gun with 200mm of pen, why can't we get one very similar with 171mm of pen?

commander_luna #13 Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:23 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
ive heard it makes the BP seem somewhat worthless, but it would really really be nice.  tanks get non-senseical guns. except the brits.

brits by far the MOST historically accurate IMO.

but in this game, when everyone else gets crazy guns like the panther's L100 or we get some strange prototype FV4202 TX instead of the cheiftain 1958 proto, i would at least expect the comet to get something useable like the BP's top gun. heck even that needs a pen buff because BP can't flank at all!

commander_luna #14 Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:12 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
well something happened. now the comet is my best tank ever so far. 35 battles 69% win ratio and avarage XP of 750. this is madness!  :Smile_veryhappy:

Efir_70 #15 Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:23 PM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
I loved playing in my comet, but sadly had to sell it to move on. Now im past it, im thinking of getting another one, as when i was in fairly evenly matched battles, i had some amazing battles in it. It was a lot of fun, so long as i played it similarly to the Cromwell.

ChickensEyes #16 Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:57 PM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
After playing in the Cromwell - an excellent tank, great fun, quick  and manouverable with an ok gun I got the Comet....
Oh dear.
90% of battles is a lineup of 24+ tier 7,  8 and 9 heavies with a few artillery. Every shot bounces wether its from the front, sides or even the rear. It barely even manages against the Tier 7 Heavies.
That said against Mediums. Lights and  Artillery (on the rare occasion you can get to them) its excellent.
So for me its either
a) give it a higher penetrating gun so you don't feel so pointless when facing a team full of heavies
or
b) stop the matchmaker creating teams entirely full of heavy tanks

I'd prefer b) because a game with 24+ heavy tanks is usually really really tedious as everyone just hides in cover from the artillery and the maps are too small to make effective use of flank attacks when everyone has dug in all across the map without gaps in the line to exploit.

Chrono_Ivan #17 Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:12 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
I think the gun on the cromwell is great. It has enough penetration to penetrate most sides and is accurate enough to stay a little bit at range. If you want a bad gun on a t7 med which really lacks penetration try the vk 3002 DB with the 88l56

Trickv2 #18 Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:19 AM

Private

• Player
  • 0 battles
I have 71 battles in the Comet so far, 61% win rate, all mods unlocked (thanks to the heavy tank grind) and I even clocked the Master Tanker earlier today. I do not like this tank, it is underwhelming in every aspect bar accuracy and RoF. Coupled with the guilt I feel for taking the spot of a heavy tank thanks to the bizarre MM weighting of the tank, the grind to the Centurion so far has been a chore and I do not see that changing, the fact I do well in any battle with it is down to the team I am with and my own ability and not Comet's.

Some matches are unbearably frustrating, with the gun either bouncing relentlessly or my speed bleeding out as I circle what should have been a helpless lone heavy tank, something I notice other meds do not have trouble with, or worse, I provide no contribution as I am the lowest tier against an enemy team of heavies and artillery (playing the Caernarvon has given me the desire to hide at every opportunity when faced against them). The tank does not have the capability to take damage which makes the "Flanker" aspect of this tank somewhat suspect. I have a very low survival rate in the tank, partly due to the extreme tendency of the tank to explode in a ball of fiery death when breathed on by other tanks. I have even taken to using the suspension mod to lessen the frequency of detracking, which in play with the flat, thin armour makes for a dead tank.

Maybe I'm just not getting it yet and it'll click for me eventually or maybe its best with friends (kinda hard as I havent platooned in this game yet, or actually know anyone). Infact, if you have any youtube links for decent players using the Comet, with or without commentary, I would be grateful. I would much rather understand the tank and have fun than continue hating it and looking forward to the day I sell it for the Centurion Mk.1.

Edit: I didnt actually think it could get worse but it has, I truly hate this tank. I have never felt so useless in a tank before. This is disgusting.

Edited by Trickv2, 21 February 2013 - 07:33 PM.

Kurnubego #19 Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:29 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles

View PostChickensEyes, on 20 February 2013 - 08:57 PM, said:

90% of battles is a lineup of 24+ tier 7,  8 and 9 heavies with a few artillery. Every shot bounces wether its from the front, sides or even the rear. It barely even manages against the Tier 7 Heavies.

Oh.. too bad. You know soviet mediums get 85mm gun which has 144 penetration. And they do not recieve -12 gun  depression, excellent DPM, good accuracy and decent accuracy on the move. So if we are going to buff comet I bet we should start buffing those first. [/sarcasm]

View PostTrickv2, on 21 February 2013 - 03:19 AM, said:

as I circle what should have been a helpless lone heavy tank.

If you think that heavy tank should be helpless vs circling medium tank.. it might be that you have a wrong idea.

Lilldraken #20 Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:24 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
I bought my Comet yesterday (50% off, yay!) and after some initial scepticism (the stock turret, ugh...) I have to conclude that it's not as bad as I initially thought. Yes, the armor is a bad joke and it's not as nimble as the Cromwell (trying to circle strafe an SU-122-44 on Fjords ended in disaster...), but I've been able to use its gun depression and fairly bouncy gun mantle (that changed everything) to good effect. In one case I ended up facehugging a Tiger II, who struggled to penetrate my turret armour (his gun depression didn't allow him to aim for my hull), while I could put some shells through his machine gun port, which ultimately led to his destruction. It has to be said though, that I was on full health and had the support of friendly tanks at the side of the Tiger. Without them I would've been dead.

Having said that, I'm having a lot of trouble penetrating the lower glacis of a Lowe, or for that matter the armour of any other tier VIII tank. In a standard battle on Steppes I was in the depression where the cap circle is in encounter battles, and while the Lowe was cresting the ridge I had a good shot at his lower hull armour. The angle of my shots was good, yet they all failed to penetrate. Fired three rounds of gold ammo to no effect, wasting 8400 credits. I have no chance of penetrating an IS3 from the front (even aiming at weakspots, the angling of his armour is too much for 148 pen), and it also bounces some shots off the side. Aiming at the rear drive wheel usually does the trick. I also keeps him tracked, which with my rate of fire can pin him down for a long time and it can be of great help to the rest of the team. I can only pen a KV-5 if I aim for the frontal machine gun turret, otherwise I'm dead in seconds and do no damage to him. The American heavies are a no-go apart from shooting at the side of the hull, as with the E-75 (though in that case I can also aim at the side of the turret, which, as you can imagine, is highly situational). I can't penetrate the front of a KV-13 unless I manage to put a hole in the driver's hatch. The Panther and T-43 are much easier targets, but I encounter these so rarely (they usually get quickly killed by the heavies) it's difficult to make a proper judgement.

This gun really needs a buff to penetration, 15 or 20mm would be just fine. The matchmaker wasn't very kind to me yesterday and in 7 out of 10 times I ended up at the bottom of the food chain, with tier VIII and IX heavies dominating on both sides. Also, the Comet is one of the few tanks in which I have less than a kill per battle. I still managed to achieve a 57% win rate, but with so few battles under my belt (30-something) a short losing streak in tier IX games might change the ratio completely. In a tier VII match you can have a huge impact on the outcome of the battle, not so much in the higher tiers.

Overall, it's not a bad tank, though it could really use a higher-pen gun. The S-35CA (an excellent little machine, if you can get past the looks) gets a stock 17pdr with 171mm of penetration and 0,36 accuracy at tier V. Why can't a tier VII medium have similar stats? I'd be happy to trade the 0,34 accuracy for, say, 0,35-36 and a slightly slower rate of fire for a gun with higher pen and DPS to keep the DPM at the same level. After all, there's no point in good DPM if you fail to penetrate an enemy tank...