The Crusader: Worth it?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
41 replies to this topic

Wazige #21 Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:34 PM

Private

• Player
  • 12849 battles
I couldnt get the hang of the crusader,  I think the trick is to use its light camo on the move and flank once there is an opening

Indy_Bones #22 Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:49 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 33856 battles
  • [WHO] WHO
The Crusader is ok, the problem is that there are clearly better options elsewhere (such as the aforementioned M4, not to mention stuff like the T49), so don't expect wonders from it (especially when it's stock as then it's pretty rough), but be aware of the paper armour and use it for 2nd/3rd line support.

That being said, the Cromwell is a fantastic piece of kit and worthy of a place in ANY garage, I even prefer it to the Easy 8 and I thought that was brilliant!

Alu #23 Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:40 AM

Private

• Player
  • 2028 battles
The thing with Crusader is that it has poor Armour, poor fire power, the speed is not great for scouting. The only advantage it has is mobility and quick fire power. It's OK as supporting tank. Scout a bit, pew pew, fall back, pew pew... die :arta: ... well, however there is something about this tank that despite rather poor stats, it's fun to play. Plus, apparently Cromewell is a pretty good tank, so I guess it's worth it.

I would rate Positive! :Smile_great:

Edited by Alu, 11 February 2013 - 04:01 PM.

SeerEast #24 Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:57 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 8109 battles
I like the Crusader a lot.  It's one of the low tier tanks that I keep for fun and credits.

Judqment8 #25 Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:58 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 23824 battles
Cromwell and Comet are plain awesome. Recommended!

wims80 #26 Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:02 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 10801 battles
The Cromwell is just an amazing tank, I would very much recommend that you endure the Crusader, even if you only play it for your daily doubles. The Cromwell is a BEAST.

StClement #27 Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:58 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 15959 battles
Back to the OP. It all rather depends on why you play. The Crusader is slower, less armoured and less well armed than the majority of Tier 5s. It gets the light tank camo value and crazy gun depression- but it's not fast enough for light work and it can't stand up to return fires, even hull down. Compared to the majority of T5s it's a fail.  :Smile_sceptic:

But it really, really looks like a Crusader. That's worth rubies, if you're a fan of the real tank. (I am, mine's a keeper.  :Smile_blinky: )

To play it, get the fact that you're at a severe disadvantage to the other T5s firmly in your mind. You can't slug it out with your peers, you can't even keep up with friendly mediums. What you can do is shoot and scoot- it's easy to hide in this model and lay down a lot of fire. If you think you've been spotted- hell, even if you're convinced you haven't been spotted- move on and start over. Use the terrain, because your armour is canvas. Don't shoot at everything you see- pick your moment, try and hit the bad guys when they're less able to shoot back. Don't get greedy- you won't be racking up massive kill tallies in this model.

I enjoy it enormously. I'm very disappointed that WG have hobbled such an iconic British tank with such poor stats; I know that in most games, win or lose, I'd have done better in something else. But I enjoy the challenge and face it, there's no lingering doubt in my mind that when I did do particularly well it was just the model flattering my distinctly average ability. It can be very rewarding, in a bloody minded sort of way.  :Smile_smile:

Try it out, you might like it. And don't forget the reward for this grind is the Cromwell- and that's an absolute scream!  :Smile_veryhappy:

Eruantien_Aduialdraug #28 Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:35 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 12102 battles
  • [SNOO] SNOO

View PostTerrordrone, on 09 February 2013 - 07:46 PM, said:

Crusader and Cromwell are good, but the Comet...
Well, the Cromwell is an odd duck in the British tree atm. To have a hope in hell of playing the Comet well you have to unlearn everything you got from the Cromwell.

MartiniHenrie #29 Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:33 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 5427 battles
  • [BAD-A] BAD-A
I agree that it is an odd duck, it either plays sublimely because you manage place yourself correctly.  Or you get games where every shell is a struggle, and it feels like you are fleeing in the face of a teams that is steamrolling you personally.

It could do with a multitude of tiny modifications, but you know what, I like the effort that goes into every kill.  I think I need to get my crew up to a decent level to enjoy it properly.  I'm definitely keeping it.

NickD #30 Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:20 AM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 14035 battles
My first battle with the Crusader earns me a "mastery badge". That was on Dragon ridge - with this tank great mobility i sneak, using east passage, and engage all enemy tanks from behind. This disorders them, allow me to kill a KV and 2 other tanks, and cripple 3-4 others, before they realise what hapenned. Shooting their unprotected backs without retaliation was extreme fun! Our main forces frontal push ended this battle very fast.
Unfortunately not every battle i manage to do the same thing. Weak gun and thin armour usually makes me dead if i was got in firefight.
I will grind to Cromwell and will sell this tank.

Edited by NickD, 22 February 2013 - 09:20 AM.

TheDukeV #31 Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:50 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 33562 battles
  • [EFE-X] EFE-X
I like the Crusader. It sucked at first, i really hated it, but now it is really a pleasure to play it. I'm always facing tier V and IV, so penetration is not a problem. Had this one battle where i managed to get 2000 dmg with it, which is really not that bad. Researched Cromwell yesterday  :Smile_Default: Now if only i had the money to buy it... I guess all depends on what tanks you have played before. I have played a lot with tanks with no armor like hellcat, so i know how to use them. Crusader is fast, mobility is good, if someone thinks otherwise - what hell is wrong with you?

Lilleman #32 Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:55 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 40934 battles
  • [TORSK] TORSK
Well for me its a keeper, I guess the playstyle suits me fine and as my crew get better with their cammo I expect it to be even sneakier.....

Tymmi_Boi #33 Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:43 PM

Private

• Player
  • 6673 battles
The Crusader has taught me more about this game than any of the other tanks I've tried.

If you don't adjust your playstyle you will get stomped. Play it like a coward. Scenario: A juicy enemy is sat infront of you, 150 yards away facing the other way. He's down to a couple of hundred HP. Too good to resist. Pew, pew, pew, his turret starts swinging your way, pew, pew, BOOM you just lost 100hps, if you're lucky. If you're doubly lucky you flee cursing your greed/impatience but more likely BOOM and it's all over. Very rarely can you survive 2 shots in this tank.

I've nearly finished the grind to the Cromwell (need to get there tonight to grab it on discount) and can say whole heartedly that I am a much better tanker now than I was. This 60 odd battles has taught me more than all my others put together. What did I learn;

1) Study the battle order and really know your place in the hierachy. How many Artys? How many heavys, scouts, TDs?
2) Constantly change your personal battle plan as the match develops. Watch the mini-map at all times! If you leave it too-late to re-locate you're toast.
3) This is the big one! Keep a track of enemy locations. It's 8:9 what do they have left? A quick count of the units on the mini-map, plus markers from the last 30 seconds or so that have now gone and you should now most of the enemy locations.
4) If one of your team are engaged it's probably safe to have a pop from the flank, but move after your first shot, never know when a TD is watching! (Unless by following rule 3 you know you're safe, then you can fill your boots!)
5) Never, ever take on a medium or heavy on your own unless you have no other choice. You will almost certainly die so quick as to have little effect on the battle outcome or your XP/Credit score.

Edited by Tymmi_Boi, 04 March 2013 - 02:44 PM.

Lilldraken #34 Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:28 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 3258 battles
Well said Tymmi_Boi. Although the Crusader is not my favourite tank, it's a great learning platform. With Vents and a Rammer its gun is capable of incredible DPM, but at the cost of accuracy (though I don't think 0,41 is the actual in-game figure, based on my later experience I would put it closer to 0,39 or 0,40). Although most of the time it felt decidedly average, in good conditions it was able to dish out serious damage to almost any enemy tank, unless you broke the iron rule of not getting hit in the first place (I can count bounces I had on one hand, most of them were from autocannons). Plus, it's a good way to learn game mechanics. I sold mine a few days ago to free a garage space for my brand-spanking-new Centurion, but I'll have fond memories of it.

bosqit #35 Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:25 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 50772 battles
  • [4KDPG] 4KDPG
I'm in love with it's camo recently - On Malinovka I came just in the middle of battlefield beteewn both camping lines (~200m) from enemy line and just standing in the open field for several minutes - moving few meters with each enemy destroyed by my teammates - all spotted from enemy team, huge assisted damge made.

You can get as close as ~150m I quess with high camo skill, and they will not see even if you stay in front of their faces without any cover.. that's weird about that game a bit, but anyway.

Cromwell is ingenius superb fun tank, but comet makes me cry...I'd prefer to play cromwell on t7 - it would be more asset to the team then comet.

grey_area #36 Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:08 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 24021 battles
Hated this tank for first 30 games despite much love for what IMHO is one of the coolest looking tanks in game. Kept trying standard tactics and failing. Then it sort of clicked when i started playing it for fun value. You have to flow in this baby to make it work and accept that while you will rarely make the end alive, you may not even get any kills, you have the unique ability to sow mayhem and discord in the enemy. So long as you remain hidden and keep moving all they see is red ring impacts every 2 seconds and its enough to panic most tanks out of their mojo. Relax in to it and you'll love this tank . . And it does look hot

Kyphe #37 Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:18 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 16253 battles
Well, I am grinding the type34, have taken advantage of the bonus, but still need to unlock the light tree.

I have had some good games in it but damn it is no where near as good as the crusader, and no where near as much fun.

I never have problems pening a KV with the 6pdr but the types version of the zis 4 bounces loads and misses more.

I will always keep my crusader, but i am selling the type34 as soon as I am done.

Retu81 #38 Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:57 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 8186 battles
  • [UFINN] UFINN
I'd like to add to Tymmi_boi's list:

6. Use the terrain, when possible. The tank is so low, that it can hide behind walls and undulations on the terrain.

One match I had, which shows what happens what you can do when you're sneaky and why taking on other tanks in a fair fight is a bad idea:  http://youtu.be/aQfri99cyvs

Edited by Retu81, 05 March 2013 - 01:57 PM.

MichelDB #39 Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:52 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 12462 battles
It is maneuverable, excellent gun depression, small silhouette, good camouflage and a gun which can be used for permatracking and finishing off tanks. Use it to peek-a-boo behind a hill or stay hidden in the bush.

Hummus #40 Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:36 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 19076 battles
  • [DIIIK] DIIIK
It is currently doing 8% better then my average win rate, after 221 games.

So yhea .. I would say it is worth it  :teethhappy:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users