Hellcat skills and perks - what's best?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20 replies to this topic

rustysprite #1 Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:01 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 14368 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
Good morning everyone. Hope you had a pleasant Valentines day.

I need some hellp with my Hellcat and I know you guys will come up with the answers :)

Like most newb's, I rushed through the tiers not playing tanks properly. I got up to Hellcat, which I was not great at and moved onto T25/2 thinking it would be better.
Of course I realised my mistakes and went back to the tanks I rushed and have been improving my WR with Hellcat and enjoying it a "hell" of a lot.
I was at around 42% WR and now at 49% with the last few weeks showing much higher scores, but I want to improve more

I did not know much about skills and perks, so the first one's I have are a bit random...
6th sense
Deadeye
Clutch braking
Situational awareness
Camouflage

I now have all of these at 100% and need to decide on what the next set will be, so hopefully you can help me?
Any other advice will be gratefully appreciated and if anyone fancies trying to teach me something in a Hellcat platoon I would be very pleased to accept :)

Cheers guys

Rusty

mynameispuffs #2 Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:08 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Clan Commander
  • 11744 battles
  • [WOLVE] WOLVE
https://www.youtube....h?v=UU0GAuHX-70 I cover skills in this video!

GhostHost #3 Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:14 AM

Private

• Player
  • 9519 battles
I'd say, retrain all crew to camo (commander is optional, if you find sixth sense extremely useful, leave it as it is) and get brothers in arms as next set of skills/perks.

rustysprite #4 Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:17 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 14368 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postmynameispuffs, on 15 February 2013 - 10:08 AM, said:

https://www.youtube....h?v=UU0GAuHX-70 I cover skills in this video!

Nice vid puffs !
Very helpful

mynameispuffs #5 Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:21 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Clan Commander
  • 11744 battles
  • [WOLVE] WOLVE

View Postrustysprite, on 15 February 2013 - 10:17 AM, said:

Nice vid puffs !
Very helpful
Np check out my other ones if you have time :)

scafa #6 Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:18 PM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 13827 battles
Answered a similar topic about a week back here.

If you don't care to reset any skills, you could just pick camouflage on everyone as second skill with maybe repair on the loader.

I don't agree with the video in using spall liner as that only helps against HE shells that don't penetrate. In Hellcat that's basically only splash damage and hardly worth giving up another equipment for. I use rammer, camo net and binoculars.

rustysprite #7 Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:24 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 14368 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postscafa, on 15 February 2013 - 12:18 PM, said:

Answered a similar topic about a week back here.

If you don't care to reset any skills, you could just pick camouflage on everyone as second skill with maybe repair on the loader.

I don't agree with the video in using spall liner as that only helps against HE shells that don't penetrate. In Hellcat that's basically only splash damage and hardly worth giving up another equipment for. I use rammer, camo net and binoculars.

I also have rammer and binnoculars, but also have gun laying drive.......do you think I should change this?

scafa #8 Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:13 PM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 13827 battles

View Postrustysprite, on 15 February 2013 - 12:24 PM, said:

I also have rammer and binnoculars, but also have gun laying drive.......do you think I should change this?

No, I wouldn't say that you should change it. I don't think camo net is as important as binoculars as you're usually behind a bush too and Hellcat has good camo value standing still anyway. But the 90mm gun has a good aim speed of 1.7 sec and I don't see GLD being that imporant either. Down to personal preference and all that.

Really just wanted to note that spall liner doesn't seem useful to me and it weighs five times as much as camo net or GLD to boot.

rustysprite #9 Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:40 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 14368 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postscafa, on 15 February 2013 - 02:13 PM, said:

No, I wouldn't say that you should change it. I don't think camo net is as important as binoculars as you're usually behind a bush too and Hellcat has good camo value standing still anyway. But the 90mm gun has a good aim speed of 1.7 sec and I don't see GLD being that imporant either. Down to personal preference and all that.

Really just wanted to note that spall liner doesn't seem useful to me and it weighs five times as much as camo net or GLD to boot.

Yes, I think you may have a good point
Would I be correct in saying that more weight will slow me down?
It seems like some other HC's are slightly faster than me

scafa #10 Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:09 PM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 13827 battles

View Postrustysprite, on 15 February 2013 - 02:40 PM, said:

Yes, I think you may have a good point
Would I be correct in saying that more weight will slow me down?
It seems like some other HC's are slightly faster than me

Yeah, more weight will slow a tank down especially in acceleration and going uphill.

Most are going have the full set of equipment though so I would guess that the faster ones have better crews. At least Brothers in Arms and Off-Road Driving will make a small difference.

rustysprite #11 Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:38 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 14368 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postscafa, on 15 February 2013 - 03:09 PM, said:

Yeah, more weight will slow a tank down especially in acceleration and going uphill.

Most are going have the full set of equipment though so I would guess that the faster ones have better crews. At least Brothers in Arms and Off-Road Driving will make a small difference.

Ok, Think I will get all the crew on Camo next and think about removing GLD
Thanks for your help.....+1

BlubbsoR #12 Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:45 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 12245 battles
6th sense,
SnapShot (reduce penalty while turret rotation)
Clutch Braking (compensate for slow turret traverse)
Camo
Camo

Camo
Camo
Offroad-Driving (compensate for slow turret traverse on soil ground)
Repair
Repair

Equipment:
Binos
Rammer
Camonet.

Have fun in the stealth bomber!

fiendishrabbit #13 Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:58 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 10692 battles
My recommendation for skills would be:

Commander: Sixth Sense->Recon->Camoflage
Gunner: Armorer->Snap Shot->Camoflage
Driver: Clutch breaking->Smooth Ride->Camoflage
Radio: Situational Awareness->Camoflage->Signal Boosting
Loader: Camoflage->Repair->Safe Stowage

Mostly because I frequently fire on the move, using the great speed of the Hellcat to flank and hit the enemy from fairly close range and from behind.
If you enjoy a more sniping lifestyle then camoflage would have a higher priority, placing first on Gunner and Driver but probably coming behind Sixth Sense, Recon and Situational awareness.

Tichy67 #14 Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:13 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 11327 battles
My current Hellcat has 171 battles  and a 61%WR.

Equipment Binoculars, Enhanced Gun Laying Drive, Medium-Caliber Tank Gun Rammer

Skills (100/55%)
Commander Sixt Sense, Recon
Gunner Designated Target, Camouflage
Driver Off-Road Driving, Clutch Braking
Radio Op. Situational Awareness, Camouflage
Loader Camouflage, Repairs

This setup gives a good scouting ability (basic 370 + binos + recon + sit.awareness) so you're able to hang around undetected and hit them hard with that lovely 90mm and the even lovelier gun depression. Modules let you load and aim faster, giving you more time to go back into cover. Which Sixth Sense tells you - you see the bulb you should've been in cover 3 secs earlier :)

Cosmitz #15 Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:12 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 10415 battles
  • [JDER] JDER
It's slightly amusing how people don't know how Camouflage or Repair works. IT AVERAGES OUT over all your crew. So either you have it on all crew, or you don't. So, a proper build for the hellcat:

All guys, starting up, Camo. You can skip for Sixth Sense if you want, but i generally can figure out if i've been spotted. Moving to the second skill, Clutch Braking, Recon, Situational Awareness and Snapshot. If you end up with a third skill, Deadeye, Offroad Driving, and put Firefighting on what's left.

Large Med pack
Small Med pack
Small Repair Pack

Binocs
Camonet
Gun rammer

In the end you want the best camo, with the best view range/detection. But that means shit if you don't know how to use bushes ingame.

Tichy67 #16 Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:30 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 11327 battles
Ofc camo and repairs average over total crew.

You'll notice in my setup that camo and repairs are basically just placeholders because that dude can't learn anything useful (Loader) or has no skills he could learn atm. The gunner could've used snap shot instead of camo, don't know why I took camo. Anyways, I rather take the small camo & repair bonus from the loader instead of giving him some totally useless perk.

fiendishrabbit #17 Posted 09 March 2013 - 05:29 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 10692 battles

View PostCosmitz, on 07 March 2013 - 11:12 PM, said:

It's slightly amusing how people don't know how Camouflage or Repair works. IT AVERAGES OUT over all your crew. So either you have it on all crew, or you don't. So, a proper build for the hellcat[...]

Or we just expect different things from skills.
100% camoflage on one guy is still 20% camoflage. While not giving you any super stealth powers it's still noticable. Some of my best tanks have the camoflage skill on just 2 out of 5 dudes (because Safe Stowage is only really worth it on heavies and extra-ordinarily explosive tanks, like the T-43/T-44, and the other two skills are marginal at best). You get the edge on others slighty more often.
The hellcat is the ultimate guerilla support tank, alternating between long range hill-hugging and fast short range exploits.
As such camoflage is of far more marginal use when compared to 6th sense, Armorer and clutch breaking (Clutch breaking is frequently a lifesaver against enemy scout tanks. I wouldn't get it if the turret wasn't so slow).

RollDaFace #18 Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:36 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 9822 battles
I personaly use:
Commander: Camo (will retrain for sixth sense after reaching 110%)
Gunner: Camo (I don´t find any other SKILLS to be as usefull, maybe I wil retrain for Deadeye, but I don´t consider it to be very important)
Driver: Clutch Braking (with Clutch Braking at 90% you are able to play this beast like an uppgunned light tank)
Radio Operator: Camo
Loader: Camo
For the second skill I will most likely go for BIA, since It helps you with everything, starting with skills (commander with mentor) and then retraining to BIA.

brick128 #19 Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:50 PM

First Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 28791 battles
  • [ORLY] ORLY
Hell cat is a versatile tank.
A great sniper, but also a perfect passive scout.

I first went for.
Sixth sense. When passive scouting the most important skill ever.
Situational awareness. Extra view range never hurts.
Offroad driving. To get as soon as possible in the right spot and get out safe and quick when needed.
Snap shot. To hit moving targets while sniping.
Camo. loader has nothing better to ad for me.

I didn't go for camo because the camo values are great already.

Second.
Recon. to even further extend my view range. Great while scouting but also while sniping. I'm sure I can see everything and still be far enough in the rear to be relative safe.
Camo. always useful to improve it even though its great already
Camo. always useful to improve it even though its great already
Signal boosting. So even the coward campers can see what I see.
repair. always useful.

third.
Camo.
repair.
repair.
relaying. Every one in the team can reach each other to see what I see.
Adrenaline rush. Might be useful once in a hundred games. To be fair, couldn't find anything better for it.

Then my equipment.
Gun rammer, Camo net and binoculars.

Its a real sniper scout.
As much camo, mobility and view range as possible.

Hellcat pro's and cons.

Pro's.
Good speed. Gets you in and out of spots when needed.
Great gun. Good pen and damage, average accuracy and rate of fire.
Insane camo values.
Good view and radio range.

Cons.
No armor
bad maneuverability.
Slow turret traverse.
Extremely vulnerable to ramming.

How I think this tanks should be played.

1st. A second line sniper.
Stay behind the main attacking force, make sure you are in cover. Support the team and keep flankers at bay.
When in cover you often stay hidden even when shooting.
Most importand is that you move up when team does well and moves to keep providing support and flank guard.
Relocate the moment everything goes to hell. Get out before its to late.
Relocate to a spot where you keep spotting the broken through enemy so team knows where they are and can intervene. If team helps play sniper again.

2nd. Passive scouting.
If the team lacks scouts or all scouts rush off to die this tank can take this role as no other.
Enemy to busy with the scouts gives you time to reach that forward position. Park in a bush an spot every thing that moves. DON"T SHOOT!!!!!!
Your superb camo keeps you safe for a long time.
Your superb view range makes you see everything enemy does.
Your superb radio range make sure your entire team sees what you see.
This tactic I usually play when I'm low tier in the team.

Things you should not do in a Hellcat.
NEVER EVER get up close and personal with enemy. NEVER!
Never lead the attack, even when you are top tier. Your biggest nemesis are low tier meds, from tier 3 they penetrate you with ease and with their high RoF you won't last a second.
Relocate when enemy gets to close, you have the speed for it. Find a bush and snipe again.
Never try to circle a heavy, your tanks and turret traverse is so bad you never outrun a tank circling it and reload is as fast as most heavy's if not slower.

When you master this tank it will be absolute love.

One if not my most favorite tanks to play in the entire game.

Edited by brick128, 12 April 2013 - 05:54 PM.

rustysprite #20 Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:16 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 14368 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
Thanks for this Brick
I only just saw it......sorry

I have been playing Hellcat quite a bit since my post started and I have been implementing quite a lot of what you are suggesting.
Mistakes I have made and learnt from are numerous and again well mentioned in your advice :)

My game play is improving a lot and I have a good friend to platoon with now
Two Hellcats can create mayhem and Havoc !
I have not tried 3 in platoon yet, but looking to do so soon!

Thanks again.....+1

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users