The modesty thread.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

Poll: The modesty thread (31 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 250 battles in order to participate this poll.

How will you describe your own skills as a player.

1. Well above average. I have perfected the art of tanking. (5 votes [16.13%])

Percentage of vote: 16.13%

2. A bit above average, but I still have much to learn. (10 votes [32.26%])

Percentage of vote: 32.26%

3. Average. Sometimes I do well, sometimes I get my ass kicked. (11 votes [35.48%])

Percentage of vote: 35.48%

4. A bit below average, stuff just doesn't work out for me. (3 votes [9.68%])

Percentage of vote: 9.68%

5. Well below average. I don't bother with that silly weakspot and angling business. (2 votes [6.45%])

Percentage of vote: 6.45%

Vote Hide poll

Panzer_Fenris #1 Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:01 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 16307 battles
Did you know that back in the 80's, several students in both Sweden and the US were asked to compare themself in the fields of driving ability and road safety with other people.
The results? For driving skill, 93% of the US sample and 69% of the Swedish sample put themselves in the top 50% (above the median). For safety, 88% of the US group and 77% of the Swedish sample put themselves in the top 50%.

But, that's impossible, right? How can the mayority be above the average? If they are, that's no longer where the average is!

This is but a simple example of an everyday concept called "Illusory superiority", where people overestimate their abilities and underestimate their weaknesses. We see it everywhere, but few places is it as obvious as in WOT.

How often do you hear, both in-game and on the forums, something akin to: "Yeah, I'm honestly not that good a player, I really let the team down on that one.", compared to forexample: "Learn to play, noobs!" and "I'd have won if my team didn't suck".

We all have a tendency to overestimate our own abilities, and try to shift blame onto our teammates. This is detrimental to both the social enviroment in the team, but also to your own performance as a player. The first step to becoming a better tanker, is to accept that you still have much to learn.

And that's where the purpose of this thread lies. Beside from trying to chart the modesty and self-insight, or the lack of these qualities, on the forums,I also would like everyone that's willing to come foreward, do a bit of soulsearching and tell us where their shortcomings as tankers are. Their weaknesses, stuff they need to work more on, and tactial blunders they've comitted.

I believe it could give us a all better understanding on how to improve our own abilities, emerge as better tankers from it, and also to go a bit towards minimizing the amount of elitism found in the fanbase of this game.

I'll kick it off.

Hi, I'm Panzer_Fenris. I'm a tanker, but I still have much to learn.

I keep playing way too agressively at times, pushing against a superior and well entrenched foe, often accomplising little but my own destruction. I'm also usually at the forefront of any advance, even if my tank is not suited for that role.
I get tunnel-vision all too often, sometimes not noticing that medium that's ready to pop in behind me and start pumping shots into my rear, or driving in front of that friendly TD that's just about to fire.

The tiniest chance of scoring a penetrating hit will often cause me give it a shot, where it'd be a smarter choice to bide my time and shot only when the chances are good. Example, trying to hit the cuppola of a hull-down T29 at a distance, instead of saving my shot for a tracking hit just as he crests the hill further up. This also means I never switch to HE, even when I should have.

I'm also way too cheap. I don't buy proper equipment for my tanks, and mostly just move around my camo-net, binocs and toolbox from tank to tank as I play them.

I suck in the Löwe, I just do.

Anyone want to give it a go?

typhaon #2 Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:15 PM

Major General

• Beta Tester
  • 14201 battles
Hi, I'm Typhaon, and I consider myself to be an average player.

There are times where I do very well and I think that over the time, the basics of the game's mechanics have become second nature to me.

But I often lack patience and a sense for danger regarding the team tactics.

The lack of patience makes me try difficult shots because I fear that I might miss the opportunity... this gambling often leads to misses and the insight, that I would have had enough time to fully aim on the enemy instead of trying to shoot from the hip.

The lack of sense for danger sometimes gets me killed among the first dead teammates, often in a stupid way, which would have been avoidable, if I had waited longer or advanced more carefully... usually I notice my mistake before I'm killed, but more than often, I'm already surrounded or engaged by multiple enemies with no escape. Keeping an eye on my teammates would help me to not end up alone on the front.

And last but not least I tend to act stupid in chaotic or stressful situations, where I often have some kind of tunnel vision, not noticing other dangers and being too fast with aiming, shooting and driving, resulting in unnecessary misses and bounces.

simleader #3 Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:56 PM

Corporal

• Clan Commander
  • 11472 battles
  • [SPIKE] SPIKE
^^ :) im basically the same as Typhaon :) getting close to a little bit above average but still average for now

basin79 #4 Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:04 PM

General

• Player
  • 15351 battles
I'm a below average player. I have had and do have great games from time to time. However my patience or the lack of it gets the better of me and I make stupid stupid mistakes. If I could get this under control I know it'd improve my game no end.

Atrevir #5 Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:58 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 18480 battles
  • [PTS-D] PTS-D
I'm an above average player. But I've noticed that my short temper with my teammates spoils the game for me. Which in turn makes me play worse because of my emotions.
I also have the tendency to overextend myself by rushing ahead or holding a flank on my own which tends to get me killed swiftly.

Add that I basically refuse to use HE ammo on high penetration guns which puts me in a nasty position against certain tanks.

I am by no means a good player. I'm just a good gamer. Knowing where to shoot and how to use the game mechanics etc

He_from_Norway_ #6 Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:23 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 23698 battles
bit over average, but still much to learn :)

Sirrobert #7 Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:06 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 6235 battles
Hello, I'm Sirrobert

I always concidered myself to be rather avarage, having games where I rule the place and having games where I just drive right into the enemy guns.
However to my suprise, noobmeter's little 'recent' page has branded me as a better player than I thought I was. I still suck in the Lowe though, but I'll keep using it anyway for crew training and stuf.

While I think I know everything of the game mechenics (at the time of the fight), I often realize that there is still alot of this game I don't understand, mostly the finer details of everything.

My biggest flaw is that I play mediums as small heavys, instead of mediums

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users