The effects of Improved Ventilation

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
32 replies to this topic

maxcromwell #1 Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:26 AM

Private

• Player
  • 29916 battles
  • [FIFO] FIFO
I was wondering about the merits of running Improved Ventilation. I have usually installed them as the first piece of equipment on most of my tanks and have taken it for granted that they should just be one of my three. But I am a new player (or, I should say, that I have only recently started to take this game more seriously) and wanted to see what tangible benefits they provided.
I ran some tests in the training room both with and without the vents. I was testing an M24 Chaffee with 100% crew training and a 75.2% average crew camo skill. I have the T37 turret with a stated view range of 400m and have a purchased camo paint job for the extra 5% bonus. The ¨enemy¨ tank was a T34 with 100% crew training, 57% Commander recon skill, 57% Radio Man situational awareness skill, was running coated optics, and had a purchased camo paint job for the extra 5% bonus. The bush in question is the full bush in the South West corner of E4 in Malinovka. The road in question is also in Malinovka. The results are as follows:
Chaffee WITH improved ventilation: distance that T37 could spot me while I was behind bush with camo net - 50m.
Chaffee WITHOUT improved ventilation: distance that T37 could spot me while I was behind bush with camo net - 50m.
Both results reflect the automatic proximity detection at 50m. Difference: None.
Chaffee WITH improved ventilation: distance that T37 could spot me while I was behind bush WITHOUT camo net - 67m.
Chaffee WITHOUT improved ventilation: distance that T37 could spot me while I was behind bush WITHOUT camo net - 69m.
Difference: 2 meters.
Chaffee WITH improved ventilation: distance I was able to spot T37, while it was in bush, with telescope binoculars - 137m.
Chaffee WITHOUT improved ventilation: distance I was able to spot T37, while it was in bush, with telescope binoculars - 138m.
Difference: 1 meter.
Chaffee WITH improved ventilation: distance I was able to spot T37, while it was in bush, using coated optics - 124m.
Chaffee WITHOUT improved ventilation: distance I was able to spot T37, while it was in bush, using coated optics - 127m.
Difference: 3 meters.
Chaffee WITH improved ventilation: reload time - 3.09 seconds.
Chaffee WITHOUT improved ventilation: reload time - 3.16 seconds.
Difference: 0.07 seconds.
The difference of aiming time (the time it takes the aiming circle to reach its smallest diameter) was not great enough to measure. In both cases, it reached that point well before the gun reloaded.
Top speed was unaffected (56-57kph on the dirt road running southwest from C3 to F1) and the time it took to reach top speed was similarly unaffected.
Measuring turret rotation and traverse speed was impossible, but I did feel a very small difference. Not enough to put my finger on, and it may well have been psychological, but it felt a little less springy. Sorry I can´t be more accurate on this point.
If anyone else has done similar tests or has anything to say, either in favor of or against, the tangible merits of installing vents, please reply.
Thanks.

Online_Rambo #2 Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:38 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 40613 battles
Interesting data maxcromwell. In your opinion, and after those measurements, is it worth it to install the improved vents?

CrniVrag #3 Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:33 AM

Sergeant

• Veteran
  • 34282 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
I almost never install the improved ventilation. Why? - because it does improve the efficiency of all my crew, but not enough to notice it where it's needed. For example on meds T8 and higher i'll install rammer, vert. stabs and coated optics (if the tank has 390-400m view range). This improves accuracy on the move, view range and rof more then ventilation and that's all i need in a medium.

Edited by CrniVrag, 28 February 2013 - 04:43 AM.

BarmyMonk #4 Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:59 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 54765 battles
  • [10TR] 10TR
Check out the Battle Mechanics section of the wiki, especially the "Examples" section:

"Improved Ventilation is a credit bought equipment for close-topped tanks only that increases the skill level of the primary skill and non-role specific secondary skills of every crew member by 5, i.e. effectively +5 for the Commander and +5.5 for his crew. This bonus is displayed in your garage screen when you mouse over each crew member, but the displayed numbers are rounded to the nearest integer."

elseba #5 Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:38 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 12539 battles
  • [TNU] TNU

View Postmaxcromwell, on 28 February 2013 - 03:26 AM, said:

Chaffee WITH improved ventilation: distance I was able to spot T37, while it was in bush, with telescope binoculars - 137m.
Chaffee WITHOUT improved ventilation: distance I was able to spot T37, while it was in bush, with telescope binoculars - 138m.
Difference: 1 meter.
Chaffee WITH improved ventilation: distance I was able to spot T37, while it was in bush, using coated optics - 124m.
Chaffee WITHOUT improved ventilation: distance I was able to spot T37, while it was in bush, using coated optics - 127m.
Difference: 3 meters.

With the binocular telescope you spoted him while standing still?
And with the coated opticts you spoted him while moving?

Just want to confirmed if possible what I've been learning from other places.

CTO_TOHH_KPACHbIX_TbIKB #6 Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:49 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 32378 battles

I was wondering about the merits of running Improved Ventilation.
+2.5%-2.75% bonus for each parameter (accuracy, base view range, reload etc) except max.speed.

N_S_I #7 Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:35 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 29852 battles
Vents is udeful on tanks with long reload and long aiming time like an e-100

Tasiorowski #8 Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:36 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 29813 battles
I also think to take down vents from all my light tanks. It does very little to tanks that are nimble. It makes probably bigger difference on slow slugish tanks with very long reload time.

AnarchyPOL #9 Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:37 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 30000 battles

??
not the opposite? you are telling that WITH impr. vents you need to be closer to spot him?  :Smile_sceptic:
btw nice testing. thx/

I can only add that on IS-3 with impr. vent. 100% crew, reload is 0.25s shorter. (after 3 shots it is almoust 1sec :P)
And top speed is as well noticeably higher.
I was playing with friend in pluton (Is-3 as well) ... we both was driving the same terrain,
we were climbing hill and slowly BUT noticeably , I was leaving him behind.

Plus it is THE ONLY MODULE which improves the accuracy :) so for my SU-152 it is a must have :)

Edited by AnarchyPOL, 28 February 2013 - 08:38 AM.

Eligius #10 Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:43 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 10542 battles
  • [MARS] MARS
Almost every high tier tanks need ventilation. Little fast reload, aim, acceleration, more spotting range etc. It's also stacked with other eguip. Like rammer, Gld, binos/optics etc.

Also get BIA (another ~5%)

I don't now remember tanks specs but eventually you get over 2 second fastes loading. Now image situation where is 6 with bonus vs. 6 without it.

Normal case (if both have same tanks and personal skills and equips) winning side (attack side allways) keeps 2 alive tank.

Now "without and with" case with side lose 1(or 2) and win allways. It's same situation if other side have 1 tank more)

Trust me. Whe have try that many times in our clan.

magyshadow #11 Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:01 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 29741 battles
  • [SF] SF
Well ventilation is good if you don't have certain game style, or you play different roles with same tank. Overall your tank is better but not in any specific area.
I always put it on the new tank, but as soon as I realize what needs to be improved on that tank I change it with some other module. So basically I don't have vents on any tank I regularly drive.

Edited by magyshadow, 28 February 2013 - 10:18 AM.

Eligius #12 Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:15 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 10542 battles
  • [MARS] MARS

View Postmagyshadow, on 28 February 2013 - 09:01 AM, said:

Well ventilation is good if you don't have certain game style, or you play different roles with same tank. Overall your tank is batter but not in any specific area.
I always put it on the new tank, but as soon as I realize what needs to be improved on that tank I change it with some other module. So basically I don't have vents on any tank I regularly drive.

Can you give one example where venttilation is useless if you build one role tank?

My spesification tank are: T-50-2 (scout passive/active. That use: vettilation, binos & optics. Have adaptive camos, 100% camo skill, BIA, 6 sense and other skills) nothing else isn't usefull as venttilation.

Maybe heavy/TD? Stabi, rammer, GLD combination? Where you need stabi? It's allready slow so aiming time bonus is small.

zseeeeee #13 Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:47 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 10580 battles
Not my test, but it's quite accurate: [youtube link]

Initially, I used to install vents also, but it gives only about the mentioned 2% increase to EVERYTHING which is good, but still less than about 10% to a specific parameter (rammer, vert. stab, enhanced gun laying drive gives similar values), so on my IS-3 it's EGLD+RAMMER+STAB, no place for vents.
This is an aggressive in-yo-face setup, you can use some view-range boost also instead of vents if it fits your playstyle better.

So in my view 10% to a single stat, on which you rely most is better than 2% to everything.

AnarchyPOL #14 Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:47 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 30000 battles

View PostEligius, on 28 February 2013 - 09:15 AM, said:

Can you give one example where venttilation is useless if you build one role tank?

My spesification tank are: T-50-2 (scout passive/active. That use: vettilation, binos & optics. Have adaptive camos, 100% camo skill, BIA, 6 sense and other skills) nothing else isn't usefull as venttilation.

Maybe heavy/TD? Stabi, rammer, GLD combination? Where you need stabi? It's allready slow so aiming time bonus is small.
actually on t-50-2 I prefer suspension module. especially with our new physics..... :/
now it is enough to little jump on rock to be detracked... so suspension imo is a must on t-50-2 (on t-50 even more needed :) )

GloatingSwine #15 Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:12 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 15548 battles

View PostCTO_TOHH_KPACHbIX_TbIKB, on 28 February 2013 - 05:49 AM, said:

+2.5%-2.75% bonus for each parameter (accuracy, base view range, reload etc) except max.speed.

It's actually about 2.15% real performance.

Vents are there if you can't mount equipment to give you large role specific bonuses.

Tidal_Force #16 Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:33 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 16195 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostCTO_TOHH_KPACHbIX_TbIKB, on 28 February 2013 - 05:49 AM, said:

View PostGloatingSwine, on 28 February 2013 - 10:12 AM, said:

It's actually about 2.15% real performance.

Vents are there if you can't mount equipment to give you large role specific bonuses.
Tidal_Force to the rescue:
5% crew skill increase translates to:
2.1% increase in performance for progressive stats (e.g.. view range)
2.7% increase in performance for degressive stats when 50%->55% (e.g. accuracy, reload time)
2.4% increase in performance for degressive stats when 75%->80% (degressive stats are an 1/x function)
2.1% increase in performance for degressive stats when 100%->105% (so they are obviously non-linear)

Also, keep in mind that BiA and Vents are the only ways to improve accuracy after reaching 100% gunner skill.
Also, keep in mind that accuracy has double benefits from skill increase 'cause it's measured as circle diameter (or radius, not important for what I'm trying to point out) therefore area of that circle (thing that really matters) benefits doubly because (1-x)^2~1-2x for small x (10% is small enough for this approximation to hold in this argument).

Silu_0 #17 Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:48 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 6327 battles
No idea why, probably a common sense, but I use vents only in the combo with BIA, rarely alone.

And I never use it on slow aiming, high reticle dispersion tanks, as Rammer + Vstab + GLD is much more useful. Especially considering I tend to be in a constant movement in most tanks I play.

Eligius #18 Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:55 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 10542 battles
  • [MARS] MARS

View PostAnarchyPOL, on 28 February 2013 - 09:47 AM, said:

actually on t-50-2 I prefer suspension module. especially with our new physics..... :/
now it is enough to little jump on rock to be detracked... so suspension imo is a must on t-50-2 (on t-50 even more needed :) )

Yes. If you are active scout. Basicly you can take finger off W button slickly time and usuall everything go fine :) but yes i agree that. When physics release i try that and make my best active (and arty killer) scout round. Mountain pass i literally jump over enemy tank in southwest corner and make jumping tricks over stones etc.

Falling down in edge is different tricks and you don't need suspension of it.

But still i prefer more venttilation. Slighty bigger scout range and accurasy/acceleration is better than some jump tricks. Differens is real :)

triggerbunny #19 Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:16 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 17543 battles
  • [FIFO] FIFO
You maybe right with a Scout, but when you talking about a normal tanks, the benefits to the gun are what is nice. Reload time, aiming time etc..

magyshadow #20 Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:18 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 29741 battles
  • [SF] SF

View PostEligius, on 28 February 2013 - 09:15 AM, said:

If you manage to find word useless in my post, or even indication that I said it's useless, I would be happy to provide you example.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users