ELC-AMX as a TD

TD Scout

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
31 replies to this topic

roguemale #1 Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:19 PM

Private

• Player
  • 269 battles
Has anyone played this tank in a TD role rather than a scout/divebomber role?

Cimei #2 Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:21 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 20559 battles
  • [C1DFL] C1DFL
i think he has a good potential for TD role, but in my opiniop the quick way is most fun  :Smile_veryhappy:

Fishmachine #3 Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:33 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 5813 battles
Well, in reality, the ELC AMX was a tank destroyer.
In the game it's still good in this role, due to an excellent gun for its tier, but it's also a good scout due to high speed and low silhouette. So you should use it as one or the another as the situation in battle unfolds.

Ikarases #4 Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:39 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 9439 battles
  • [PR_PH] PR_PH
I´m using it mostly as a scout. I´ve Optics and Rammer mounted on it. But I´ve also Binocs on it, since on some maps you just can´t run around (Abbey) and the best way you can do is hide in a bush somewhere and use that 450m (445m) view range.

If I´m feeling safe in my spot, I can pick off some stranglers who pass by (Karelia hill) and I don´t really need EGLD for that. In my opinion, stopping with this tank just to take a shot is a suicide. And when you´re passive scouting/sniping, you don´t need it neither since you have about 11 seconds to lock on your target :)

How_hard_can_it_be #5 Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:42 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 41879 battles
The problem is people keep telling me i'm a noob when I stay in td mode

Wireframe #6 Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:49 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 23825 battles
  • [GW-UP] GW-UP

View PostHow_hard_can_it_be, on 01 March 2013 - 05:42 PM, said:

The problem is people keep telling me i'm a noob when I stay in td mode

And you are  :Smile_blinky:...  IF you are ONLY using it as a TD. This tank is a serious "up-their-butt-so-close-they-can't-depress-their-gun-to-shoot-you" kind of tank.

I also used it as a TD in the first 2 or 3 minutes of game but after that its hunting time. The real problems for it to be a TD are a low view range and the absolutely horrendous aim time.

A very fun tank which i'll buy again for sure!

Eisgenosse #7 Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:50 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 19933 battles
The ELC is an excellent TD. I've got 1280 battles in it, so I know it quite well. I don't play it the classic TD way though. I use the speed to get to firing positions, wait, fire pull back and use my excellent camo to go back in again and fire another one. There are some fantastic spots where you can combine it's great view range with binos and speed to act as scout and behind double bushes as TD. And later on as closecombat field cleaner... You may check some of my replays here http://mwreplays.com...elc_amx&uid=848

Great little tank

:)

Edited by dominic2008, 01 March 2013 - 05:52 PM.

purblind #8 Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:56 PM

Private

• Player
  • 30087 battles
  • [FLOG] FLOG
I can see why you'd be tempted and I've tried it myself. The problems with using at as a TD are:

- Very slow to aim and not all that accurate. ROF not that good either. The gun does good alpha but really if you want to play a TD, you'd do better in an SU85
- It is a light tank.... so the matchmaker puts you with much higher tier heavies.   You'll struggle as a TD to do much damage
- As a light tank, you are expected to scout.  If you don't scout, your team will suffer.

So on balance, it is not the best way to use the ELC AMX.  Also people will call you a noob and worse which does get wearing.

If you want to have fun, play it as a scout (active and passive) with the occasional torpedo run. You can take out TDs and arty very easily if you can catch them solo late in the game.  You are first enough to circle strafe, even allowing for the lack of a real turret.

Enjoy!

andelo99 #9 Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:05 PM

Private

• Player
  • 2585 battles
You could call it a fast TD (Well in real life it really is a TD, WG just changed the looks a bit).
I use the Hit 'n' Run, ambush, sniper and coming from behind tactic.
I wouldn't call it a scout, the radio's distance is poor, so you cant send information to your teammates.
Currently I've got the camouflage net and Medium-Caliber Tank Gun Rammer so it reloads faster (Just 2 seconds, but it's worth it.)

Harland #10 Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:50 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 16648 battles
I sometimes play the ELC as a TD on certain chokepoint maps where my preferred playstile (=driving around ilke a maniac) will most likely get me killed fast. After the battle has progressed a bit and most enemies are distracted I usually revert to doing "strafing runs" on the big boys again. The ELC can be quite effective as a TD since it has very good camo and the gun has good pen, damage and is pretty accurate once fully aimed. I remember a battle on Arctic Region where our team was overrun and the enemies were busy killing our few base defense tanks and capping our base. I parked in a bush in the F/G 4 area and (with a little arty support) sniped and destroyed them all (I think five tanks) without getting spotted. So yeah, it can work nicely. Still zipping around is more fun to me.  :Smile-playing:

Wildman_fr #11 Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:17 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 17320 battles
Well, it depends on the MM. Ending quite high, you have to use it as a scout,  which it does better than the Chaffee, since it has a better speed (well, ingame .. since the M24 just doesn't go as fast it should ..) and most importantly much lower profile. (get optics and recon skill .. brings you to 422m , not that bad)

If you end up in tier V, no question, use it as a TD (aggressive TD ?), other small tanks can scout and your gun is probably the best of the team. Hunting is to avoid, your ennemies have a lot better ROF and can pen every shot...

Edited by Wildman_fr, 19 March 2013 - 12:18 AM.

StormimOn #12 Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:55 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 18777 battles
I was worried before playing it. After 300 battles all I can say is that I really love that thing :wub:

I play it as a passive scout at start + TD mode if being really aggressive would be too dangerous.
The amazing speed allow you to get in good passive scout position before everything else, so you can spot most of the enemy team depending the map you're playing (got 13 spotted, but we lost...).
You can deal lots of damage just by spotting (XP, creds come here plz !), and wait the opportunity for a rush or more scouting.

When rushing, shooting at full speed needs luck or/and being really close, but it's so damn fun !
Sometimes less when you get a bad roll and deal the minimum damage, but shit happens ^^

The 90mm gun has enough pen to damage T9 tank, so even when you got there you can help your team (ammo racked a full E-75, happened only once though).
If you use premium shells, you have the same penetration as a E-75 using standard AP :rolleyes:  

And played well, it's a good money maker (15-20k profit with good battles, non premium).

Need to try 12t after, but I won't sell my ELC. The funniest tank I've played so far :smiles:

Louis2brosGummer #13 Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:52 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 31233 battles

View PostStormimOn, on 19 March 2013 - 06:55 PM, said:

I was worried before playing it. After 300 battles all I can say is that I really love that thing :wub:

I play it as a passive scout at start + TD mode if being really aggressive would be too dangerous.
The amazing speed allow you to get in good passive scout position before everything else, so you can spot most of the enemy team depending the map you're playing (got 13 spotted, but we lost...).
You can deal lots of damage just by spotting (XP, creds come here plz !), and wait the opportunity for a rush or more scouting.

When rushing, shooting at full speed needs luck or/and being really close, but it's so damn fun !
Sometimes less when you get a bad roll and deal the minimum damage, but shit happens ^^

The 90mm gun has enough pen to damage T9 tank, so even when you got there you can help your team (ammo racked a full E-75, happened only once though).
If you use premium shells, you have the same penetration as a E-75 using standard AP :rolleyes:  

And played well, it's a good money maker (15-20k profit with good battles, non premium).

Need to try 12t after, but I won't sell my ELC. The funniest tank I've played so far :smiles:
i allso mostly start by going to a chokepoint arriving way before the enemy does and just stand in the middle of the street sometimes with good viewrange, using binocs and cammoskill with cammo net i can watch them coming...spot a lot, get one shot of and get the hell out of there , great fun, its cammovalue is the best in game as far as i know. Later just zip around finishing damaged tanks. One of my favorites.

DeuZerre #14 Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:18 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 12846 battles
  • [D_D_G] D_D_G

View Postroguemale, on 01 March 2013 - 05:19 PM, said:

Has anyone played this tank in a TD role rather than a scout/divebomber role?
You could say that... I did this this morning:

First page battle report (+scroll down):
http://imageshack.us...20130404130.png
Team report (11 kills :  )
Detailed report

The funny thing is that I was alone to kill... Wait:
2 last artillery
1 Pz4 I think?
1 Stug 3
1 Hetzer
AMX 38

Sadly i don't save replays (small SSD main drive), so you won't see it :/

I wasn't really a TD but more of a "Reaction" tank: I spot an enemy breaking through somewhere on our line, I move fast and kill/harass it.

Edited by DeuZerre, 04 April 2013 - 12:46 PM.

Amazonius #15 Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:44 PM

Private

• Player
  • 12750 battles
  • [KOVA] KOVA
ELC is 3 in 1: TD(so high pen, so high camo, nice aim), passive or active scout(fast and with 100% camo crew are hard to see :D),Slide killer( ohh I'm mean i had some kills in close slide kills) here my video like troll patrol: http://www.wot-repla...9209000000.html

voodoospirit #16 Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:55 PM

Major

• Player
  • 27659 battles
  • [PFDR] PFDR
i have 670 games with a 55% wr with this ugly little tank. it s my most played tank.

in even MM, i play it like a  fast TD, because, same MM tanks have faster turret and u dont. as a sniper, i can one shot or badly damage heavies.
in MM +2/+4, i play it like a pain in the ass. shooting somewhere, moving somewhere else (spotting on the move)..if i can find the arties, it s good, otherwise, i can hide and snipe just to piss some big boys.

i don t scout with it like with my t-50,t50-2,chaffee; crappy radio, bad view range...close to useless, i got killed a couple of times by my teammated cause i said i wont scout. the aim time and bump maps make it hard to shoot on the move or at point blank ( and avoid ending IN the target..happened some times)

200T #17 Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:23 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 5836 battles

View Postvoodoospirit, on 05 April 2013 - 08:55 PM, said:

( and avoid ending IN the target..happened some times)

this is realy embarrassing... i only started to enjoy elc when i played it as a td. get to position fast, shoot, seek next position, shoot and so on. and if needed, you can quickly get to the other side of the map if your team needs support. distract the enemy, maybe shoot one tank and swerve off into cover again - and so on. basically a hybrid-role between scout & td.

tank_commandant #18 Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:44 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 28042 battles
Scouting, sniping, derping,
No problem for the Elc!

Watch my video otherwise:

Shacou #19 Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:17 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 21471 battles
  • [D-NUT] D-NUT
https://imageshack.u...7/shot003le.jpg
https://imageshack.u...6/shot004fc.jpg
Ba dum tss..

mihaiviteazul #20 Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:57 PM

Private

• Player
  • 26982 battles
At the beggining of the battle you can scout, after that you can be a TD. When it's the right moment, in the last part of the battle, go into your enemy rear..and get Orlik :blinky:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users