ELC-AMX as a TD

TD Scout

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
31 replies to this topic

Mr_Kaizer #21 Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:17 PM

Private

• Player
  • 1292 battles
After 42 games in this little beast, all I can say is wow. It's amazingly fun to play. This thing has boosted my win rate from 47 to 49 in two days. I'm still not very good at driving it, this being my first proper light tank (light tank with scout mm), and I still have a lot to learn about positioning and timing. But be that as it may, this tank is just a pure joy to drive. I've mostly been playing TDs up until now, and I find myself right at home in that role. As people have pointed out, you can start the game as a scout, then do either TD or hit and run stuff. It's just so versatile. It was well worth the horrible AMX 40 grind to be sure.
EDIT: 10 games later I'm back down... I really hate to blame teams but... Some of the people I've played with now are derpy to say the least.

Edited by Mr_Kaizer, 21 August 2013 - 05:16 PM.

GlN #22 Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:18 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 26533 battles
I usually play it as a passive scout and as a td in certain maps such as sand driver and steppes.

Charlie_the_Unicorn #23 Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:28 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 5961 battles
ELC as TD; I'd love to try that (I just bought it) but after 3 matches I already had my first "ELC go scout idiot".
Being the jerk that I am I won't comply to such "requests" (some call it noobery, I call it a matter of good manners), but it is one of the things that has kept me from playing tanks that are commonly considered as scouts, even though scouting often translates into "go stick out your neck for us high tier heavies so we can see an enemy and miss an opportunity shot while you die".
I've read that the Alecto plays somewhat similar to the ELC (small, fast, nasty gun), and that it does not have the scout label that the ELC has, so I may compare those two. Anyway, I just got the second engine, so I suppose I gotta grind the modules and more crew xp before I get to experience its true potential.
edit; OK, today, during my 12th battle I got the compliment "ELC, you the best scout I've ever seen".  :-D  The battle was going quite equally for both teams, but I had good directions of a very nice killer team behind me (a Jagdpanther, Tiger and T-34 I believe). I think it shows that scouting works when there's actual teamwork. Anyway, just a couple of points more for the suspension, and then on to the bigger guns..

Edited by Charlie_the_Unicorn, 10 September 2013 - 12:04 AM.

Scuka #24 Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:59 AM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 20370 battles
Why play it ONLY as a scout or ONLY as a TD or ONLY as a divebomber? Just switch between different roles according to the situation. When a bunch of tier 9 TD's are waiting for you to spot those bushes on Prokhorovka, you do that. When your KV-1S teammates need some support, you go and give it to them with a few divebombing runs. When you've got no one to spot at the moment and know the enemy is coming your way, hide in a bush and ambush the mothertrucker.

But you need to chose the equipment for only one of these roles? Do you chose equipment for better scout performance or better gun performance? Personally, I would enhance my gun performance since you can fight on any map, but scouting is somewhat situational.

View PostCharlie_the_Unicorn, on 09 September 2013 - 04:28 PM, said:

ELC as TD; I'd love to try that (I just bought it) but after 3 matches I already had my first "ELC go scout idiot".
I also got told to go scout in this game :trollface:
http://wotreplays.co...d-scuka-elc_amx

EvilSabot #25 Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:58 AM

Private

• Player
  • 3466 battles
My tactic can change a little with the map but it's mainly:
  • Hide in a bush in a safe place and let the teams kill each other. Extra funny to see how enemy ELC gets it, especially if you're the one killing it (which can happen more often than you think).
  • Ignore stupids asking you to scout. (Basically asking you to go suicide while they sit safe in their comfy tier 8 heavy graves, almost never covering you.)
  • When half of the teams is dead, wake up and start playing as mobile TD. Shoot and ruuuuuun, rinse, repeat.
  • When there's only like 3 enemies left, go very aggressive search and destroy. Call it scouting if you wish.
My current stats suck, I know that. But it's mainly because I've been blindly rushing with the ELC so far, before refining my tactics. Now I'm slowly getting better.

Bejtman #26 Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:13 PM

Private

• Player
  • 2844 battles
ELC AMX can play aux-td role just as it plays aux-scout role when needed, but...
There are still some deficiencies of using this vehicle in TD role:
a)Minimal HP pool
- most of TD's don't change their position in combat while exchanging fire and have some HP pool to sustain damage
- ELC can be one-shotted anytime if spotted so you require Intuition skill on our commander and Camo skill for his companion, thus it's hard to be efficient in such a role w/o experienced crew
- you're a perfect target for HE artillery projectiles, especially when you're camping like a TD (ELC AMX is rarely eliminated by artillery because it's usually MOVING around, not sitting in one place)
b)Low DPS/poor AIM time
- even with GLD, Rammer and Vents it's hard to deal more damage than designated TD's in higher tier battles while playing TD role and this set of equipment is hardly a best pick for this vehicle
- Sticking to Bino and Camo net (classical TD outfit) you're forced to choose between GLD, Vents and Rammer. If you'll go for Rammer, you'll shot a bit faster but your accuracy and RoF will still be subpar when compared with deisgnated TD's, GLD would help with accuracy a bit, but your potential DPS would prolly drop and going for Vents would help both, but in very, very limited way
- your top gun penetration is 170 w/o prem ammo which is enough if you're adapting a flanking/commando tactic with ELC but in higher tier battles a considerable amount of shots wouldn't penetrate frontal armour of vehicles (and designated TD's are usually prepared for that because they're supposed to fight from the second line = they're supposed to penetrate the front armour of attackers)
Considering the above (excluding some lucky situations) I doubt that using ELC AMX as a standard TD would be a good idea.
This vehicle has it's own philosophy (I find it most effective with non-standard, ninja/assasin set of equipment which is Optics, GLD and Vents) as it can do well in different roles thus trying to use it mostly as TD is prolly not the best idea in most of the situations)

Edited by Bejtman, 17 September 2013 - 04:26 PM.

Makahole #27 Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:04 PM

Private

• Player
  • 1605 battles
I have played this in both active/passive scout and TD rolls and often do both during a game. This is one of the biggest bang for the buck tanks you can have. I have had rammer/camo/binocs on it and the tank certainly draws everyones attention when it shows up since arty fears for it's life. I actually face hugged an 80% healthy Lowe and defeated him because he could not depress his gun enough to touch me. I was laughing the entire time. It excells at passive scouting since it can get into a good position quickly and go invisible. Highly recommended ........ just be careful during your highspeed runs as it will track itself easily.

voodoospirit #28 Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:13 PM

Major

• Player
  • 28209 battles
  • [PFDR] PFDR
closing to the 1000th game with my ELC....

i play it, now, more as a passive or short recon scout, thx the 8.6 precision buff, even slow heavies/TD manages to shoot me while they move or on the move.....and meds are worse.
i have vents, rammer, camo.

as a light TD , the gun rammer allow me to get a 10.3 sec reload time with the 90mm, it helps me when dueling with another ELC too... or just shooting from a sniping position as a support tank.
unlike some of my other scouts, i didn t put binocs on it as it s usually more active scouting than my leopard/MT-25 ( rip T-50²)

the ELC is not an effective TD as the reload is long but in middle/top tier, it can does massive damages, in those game low tier tanks have fast turning turrets and fast shooting rate  so u don t survive easly against them, so  TD mode is effective in those games as the 90mm will make huge damages on those targets.

AndyScouser #29 Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:22 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 14158 battles
My son plays the ELC a lot and has a great EFF rating and win rate in it.  He active scouts if no 'prey' is available but he is mostly looking for low HP or distracted tanks, where he ninja sneaks up on them, shoots at them from behind and then uses his speed and low profile to get the hell out if it.  OOI, the low profile is one of your biggest benefits as many tanks simply do not have the gun depression to shoot you if you are hugging the rear of the tank.

rubenruben44 #30 Posted 03 October 2013 - 07:39 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 6936 battles
I ragesold this tank when I figured out while in battle that i was not able to turn the turret completely. little bad preperation wich I had to pay for with my life :P
maybe i am gonna rebuy it. If I ever get the money :D
Does this tank actually make profit?

rubenruben44 #31 Posted 05 October 2013 - 04:12 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 6936 battles

View PostTomyslav, on 04 October 2013 - 11:52 AM, said:

he is actually excellent moneymaker. I think best money gain game i ever had was in him.

Ah, thanks, in that case I am really gonna try this little thingy again. now I need first some credits.
What equipment do you recommend? I was thinking of a shell rammer, camo, binocs/optics.

EvilSabot #32 Posted 06 October 2013 - 08:13 AM

Private

• Player
  • 3466 battles

View Postrubenruben44, on 05 October 2013 - 04:12 AM, said:

Ah, thanks, in that case I am really gonna try this little thingy again. now I need first some credits.
What equipment do you recommend? I was thinking of a shell rammer, camo, binocs/optics.
Sounds good to me, as people recommended the shell rammer to me also. However, my current configuration is Suspension, Camo Net, Binocs.

The suspension helps a little bit when I need to bug out. The problem is, ELC AMX is pretty useless as a TD if you don't use gold ammo.

Hence why people call you a noob if you don't play as scout: because if you don't use gold ammo, the only reliable way to do damage is to shoot enemies point blanc. So to them it appears like you're "scouting". This of course also means that you rely on your team instead of going alone.

For me going alone is my style, because many's the time when my teammates let me die. So I'd rather snipe hidden in a bush than to follow them around, trying to bait the enemy while THEY are not trying to kill it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users