[How-To]Running WoT under Ubuntu and any Linux (Perfect Way)

Ubuntu Linux How-To Run WoT under Linux

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
29 replies to this topic

Magyar_Ember_Vagyok #1 Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:14 AM

Private

• Player
  • 5934 battles
Hello all,

Below I'm going to present the perfect way how to run WoT under Ubuntu Linux 12.04.2 LTS (Precise). (When you run any kind of Ubuntu (Kubuntu, Xubuntu etc., FORGET the way that published at http://worldoftanks....soft/show/1311/ ). <- that is over and ran out of time.)
Well, if you use any kind of Ubuntu Linux you have to step the following (for any kind of Linux distribution step here.):

1, Get the game (full client): http://worldoftanks.eu/en/update (torrent one is perfect choice.)
Unzip into any folder of yours.

2, Open a terminal.

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa
You will apply for the most new (*)Ubuntu wine packages.

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install wine1.5 wine-gecko1.5 wine-mono0.0.8 winetricks
Note: it will remove old wine and that's dependencies and install the newer ones.

6, Make sure your winecfg is 32 bit. Install (as a normal user) Internet Explorer 7 by winetricks (don't enable any updates during the installation) and after run the IE7 by wine.
winetricks ie7
Now run IE7:
wine 'C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore'
If it runs and you can browse with IE7, then all is ok. Otherwise you should make a new wine profile (google for WINEPREFIX) or just remove your old ~/.wine folder if you don't need the rest programs anymore earlier installed by wine.

7, Install the needed parts before install WoT.
winetricks d3dx9_36 d3dx9_43 vcrun2008 msxml3 wininet corefonts ie7 d3dcompiler_43
(The ie7 is installed earlier but shown for perfect way.)
Note: for msxml3 the winetricks will open a internet browser and a site from where you can download the msxml.msi program. Please download that to this folder: ~/.cache/winetricks/msxml3/
After re-run:
winetricks d3dx9_36 d3dx9_43 vcrun2008 msxml3 wininet corefonts ie7 d3dcompiler_43
Changes #1: IMOPRTANT! At 2013 march 6th there was an upgrade. This new one version needed the d3dcompiler_43 installed by winetrick! (The new version's dev. number is 0.8.4 #382)

8, Edit regedit. Reason: you have to give your videocard's memory to wine.
wine regedit
Do these steps (source):
  • Open the tree on the left to the section where you need to add it (e.g., HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine)
  • Right click and select New->Key
  • Type the name: Direct3D
  • Hit enter
  • Now give a new String Value (right click on Direct3D): VideoMemorySize, give new value in megabytes eg. 1024.

wineboot

10, Now go to the folder where you unzipped the WoT_internet_install_eu  folder and the WoT_internet_install_eu.exe program.
wine WoT_internet_install_eu.exe
The installer needs some minutes and durring the installation it will install some directx elements.
The installer will start WoTLauncher and that will download and install the most fresh elements. After the refreshing WorldOfTanks.exe will be started.

That's it. Enjoy.

Note #1: Tested on 2 computers with NVIDIA cards!
Note #2: After the refresh (2013 march 6th) the fps degraded. Please use the most low graphical settings.
Note #3: After playing the game before you run that again (without any reboot) give pulseaudio (if you use that one) the following command otherwise the sounds will be "laggy".
pulseaudio -k

Red color edited, since it is reserved for Wargaming Staff only

// sne_gb

Edited by BlastFurnace, 05 April 2013 - 08:28 PM.
This post has been edited by a member of the Moderation Team, due to inappropriate content. An official notification has also been sent. sne_gb

Daniel_GT #2 Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:57 PM

Private

• Player
  • 117 battles
Installed fine following this guide step-by-step, and launches into game with no problem. However;

1) 3D graphics do not work, in garage or game screens, rendering the game unplayable.
2) Mini-map is red

Searching forums has suggested that I change triple-buffering to "false" in preferences.xml and additionally amend <textureQualityMemoryBlock> from 3000 to 1024 though that doesn't seem to do anything (either in combination. or singly). Apparently another option might be to build Wine from source and patch, but everything else in your guide works like a dream so I don't want to go down that route if I can avoid it.

I'm stuck, any suggestions? The graphics card is Intel based 1283MB max, and runs the game fine in Windows 7.

Magyar_Ember_Vagyok #3 Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:58 PM

Private

• Player
  • 5934 battles

View PostDaniel_GT, on 05 March 2013 - 09:57 PM, said:

Installed fine following this guide step-by-step, and launches into game with no problem. However;

1) 3D graphics do not work, in garage or game screens, rendering the game unplayable.
2) Mini-map is red

Searching forums has suggested that I change triple-buffering to "false" in preferences.xml and additionally amend <texturequalitymemoryblock> from 3000 to 1024 though that doesn't seem to do anything (either in combination. or singly). Apparently another option might be to build Wine from source and patch, but everything else in your guide works like a dream so I don't want to go down that route if I can avoid it.

I'm stuck, any suggestions? The graphics card is Intel based 1283MB max, and runs the game fine in Windows 7.

I have a notebook with Intel VGA, I'm going to check these steps written above and inform you asap.

Edited by BlastFurnace, 07 March 2013 - 08:44 AM.

plushkatze #4 Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:53 PM

Private

• Player
  • 1828 battles

Changes #1: IMOPRTANT! At 2013 march 6th there was an upgrade. These new one version needed the d3dcompiler_43 installed by winetrick! (The new version's dev. number is 0.8.4 #382)
Thanks! You saved my day :-)

nzwn #5 Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:05 PM

Private

• Player
  • 3067 battles
Hi guys i have best way to play on linux on ubuntu.
Install PlayonLinux 4.1.9 and enjoy WOT
no combination
one click
and wot 0.8.4 installed and worked :D

Magyar_Ember_Vagyok #6 Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:01 PM

Private

• Player
  • 5934 battles

View Postnzwn, on 07 March 2013 - 12:05 PM, said:

no combination
one click

Hmm.. Last time when I tried PlayonLinux, the WoT was not supported. Now I don't test that, 'cos the way I wrote works nice to me.

Edit: I tested the actual version (I don't remember ~4.0.x) of PlayonLinux (available from default repositories) at my son's computer. Well, that is work nice. Thank you the information, nzwn.

Edited by BlastFurnace, 07 March 2013 - 06:01 PM.

casn #7 Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:29 PM

Private

• Player
  • 6531 battles

View Postplushkatze, on 06 March 2013 - 06:53 PM, said:

Thanks! You saved my day :-)
Mine too. How did you know it? I was struggeling with for a while...

Magyar_Ember_Vagyok #8 Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:32 PM

Private

• Player
  • 5934 battles

View Postcasn, on 07 March 2013 - 08:29 PM, said:

Mine too. How did you know it? I was struggeling with for a while...

I Just run sometimes WorldOfTanks in terminal and watched the outputs.

Edited by BlastFurnace, 07 March 2013 - 08:33 PM.

Daniel_GT #9 Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:53 PM

Private

• Player
  • 117 battles

View PostDaniel_GT, on 05 March 2013 - 09:57 PM, said:

2) Mini-map is red

Searching forums has suggested that I change triple-buffering to "false" in preferences.xml and additionally amend <textureQualityMemoryBlock> from 3000 to 1024 though that doesn't seem to do anything (either in combination. or singly). Apparently another option might be to build Wine from source and patch, but everything else in your guide works like a dream so I don't want to go down that route if I can avoid it.

View PostBlastFurnace, on 06 March 2013 - 05:58 PM, said:

I have a notebook with Intel VGA, I'm going to check these steps written above and inform you asap.

View Postnzwn, on 07 March 2013 - 12:05 PM, said:

no combination
one click

View PostBlastFurnace, on 07 March 2013 - 03:01 PM, said:

Hmm.. Last time when I tried PlayonLinux, the WoT was not supported. Now I don't test that, 'cos the way I wrote works nice to me.

Edit: I tested the actual version (I don't remember ~4.0.x) of PlayonLinux (available from default repositories) at my son's computer. Well, that is work nice. Thank you the information, nzwn.

No go on my system I'm afraid. Same problem as original post... I even tried with the 1.5.9-WorldofTanks patched wine version (available in PoL) and that crashes it after log-in screen.

and I thought building android was twitchy!!! ;-)

casn #10 Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:55 PM

Private

• Player
  • 6531 battles

View PostBlastFurnace, on 05 March 2013 - 08:14 AM, said:

Note #2: After the refresh (2013 march 6th) the fps degraded. Please use the most low graphical settings.

Looks like FPS drop happened most part to nvidia cards with some drivers.
Under ubuntu 12.10 I was using 310 version drivers installed from GUI and had about 10-20 FPS drop since version 8.4. nvidia-304 did not improve it so I installed newest drivers in "unsupported" way:
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nvidia-313 nvidia-settings-313
FPS drop is gone :)

birdstream #11 Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:16 PM

Private

• Player
  • 4952 battles

View Postcasn, on 07 March 2013 - 11:55 PM, said:

Under ubuntu 12.10 I was using 310 version drivers installed from GUI and had about 10-20 FPS drop since version 8.4. nvidia-304 did not improve it so I installed newest drivers in "unsupported" way:
sudo apt-get update
FPS drop is gone :smiles:

Yes, upgrading to 313.26 made a big difference!
Couldnt see any improvement when adding d3dcompiler here.
But i do think using winetricks glsl=disable gives a little better performance.. at least it fixed some minor graphical glitches for me when running ultra settings. Also set nvidia powermizer (in nvidia control panel) to "Performance" and run this command in terminal: cpufreq-selector -g performance

http://youtu.be/QQ9QhdVJRsM

Magyar_Ember_Vagyok #12 Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:21 AM

Private

• Player
  • 5934 battles

View Postcasn, on 07 March 2013 - 11:55 PM, said:

sudo apt-get update
FPS drop is gone :)
Oh, yes, I tried. Works fine fps is more higher than earlier. (From 15-27.)
Just one note: if you installed the old (and actually is not working) way and the http://bumblebee-project.org/ that published at http://worldoftanks....soft/show/1311/), you must to uninstall bumblebee and rename or erase bumblebee.conf in /etc/modprobe.d/ because it contains a deny for load to nvidia module ("blacklist nvidia").
Guys, we should collect all ways and we should ask developers to update the http://worldoftanks....soft/show/1311/ site. For this I'm going to install some Linux distributions (best known) and try the the PlayOnLinux way. PlayOnLinux was very pleasing to me. Of course birdstream's fine tune is important too.

Edit #1 Seems like for Archlinux, Debian, Fedora, Frugalware, Ubuntu there are packakes for PlayonLinux. I bet for all packman-style, rpm and deb package format user distributions have own PlayonLinux version, thus WoT is playable almost all Linux. (Now I'm going to try run it under FreeBSD.)

Edited by BlastFurnace, 01 April 2013 - 02:33 PM.

evrotankist #13 Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:08 AM

Private

• Player
  • 5848 battles
No luck with ATI HD7770.
ubuntu 12.10x32. fglrx installed. wine 1.2.26 source from "ppa:wine-ubuntu" repo additionally patched with two ati-specific patches. Performance is ok. But textures start blinking or they fill with grey color. So game isn't playable.
The problem I believe is with ati card and I'm not a lucky Nvidia card owner.

Edited by evrotankist, 03 April 2013 - 08:09 AM.

Magyar_Ember_Vagyok #14 Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:53 AM

Private

• Player
  • 5934 battles

View Postevrotankist, on 03 April 2013 - 08:08 AM, said:

No luck with ATI HD7770.
ubuntu 12.10x32. fglrx installed. wine 1.2.26 source from "ppa:wine-ubuntu" repo additionally patched with two ati-specific patches. Performance is ok. But textures start blinking or they fill with grey color. So game isn't playable.
The problem I believe is with ati card and I'm not a lucky Nvidia card owner.

3 years ago I've decided I won't use ATI(AMD) VGA anymore for Linux. The reason was ATI(AMD) got stoppet support my older notebook's ATI card but never puplished usefull one version. On other hands, Linux users keep in them mind NVIDIA is supporting the only one way to serve Linux users.

Magyar_Ember_Vagyok #15 Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:37 AM

Private

• Player
  • 5934 battles
As I promised earlier, I made the how-to-run WoT under Free/PC BSD OS.
ASAP I'm gonna publish in a new topic the way. The main point: WoT is runable under FreeBSD (PCBSD).

Gryphr #16 Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:21 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 7320 battles
Ive installed WOT with PlayOnLinux, but everytime im going into sniper mode, the games freezes and then finishes without any error message:(

Magyar_Ember_Vagyok #17 Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:23 PM

Private

• Player
  • 5934 battles

View PostMepp, on 05 April 2013 - 08:21 PM, said:

Ive installed WOT with PlayOnLinux, but everytime im going into sniper mode, the games freezes and then finishes without any error message:(

Run that on terminal and watch the last error messages.

Dr_Mengede #18 Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:07 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 23975 battles
  • [DSNL] DSNL
it's a while ago for me, but on a 64-bit linux version like Mint-14 (Cinnamon version, Ubuntu based Mint) or Mint LMDE-201303 (Cinnamon version, Debian based Mint) ...
Use the latest version of Wine. version 1.5...

To get wine work as 32-bit

Install playonlinux and select:
"Tools [the third dropdown menu]-> Manage Wine Versions" > ... (can't remember which command comes next. I'm typing this on my little samsung note at a party. lol sorry 'bout that.)

or

To create a 32-bit WINE prefix on a 64-bit Ubuntu system, you need to open a terminal and run the following command:

WINEPREFIX='/home/username/prefix32' WINEARCH='win32' wine 'wineboot'

Change "username" to your login name
Where WINEPREFIX is the directory for the prefix
This directory must not already exist or you will get an error! Please do not manually create it in Nautilus or with mkdir./
---
If the above didn't work or you already fucked up something. You can try this:
1. rm -r ~/.wine  (if you get an error, like directory not empty.. use: sudo rm -r ~/.wine )
2. WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine winecfg

Hope I didn't forget something and that it helped the ones stuck at the 64bit problem.
I'm not an Linux expert, just started learning it... slowly...  mostly by trial and error. lol But I'm getting there.

atm. fighting with Windows 8 pro 64bit. :s Damn I hate Windows, but still to many programs I need work better on it, like my printer-scanner-fax unit (some for work, most for gaming). Till I find a good solution / alternative on Linux for them. And I know, I'm lazy.  :sceptic:
In Linux I still preferrr to program, design, shop etc with Blender, Gimp, Cinelerra, Avidemux, Netbeans (Just started to prgramm C++ with it.)
Atm using Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon 64bit for that. GTX275 in sli + single screen, still waiting for nvidia to implement sli + multi display support as possivble in windhoos.  grmpf

ps. If you have ideas or remarks off-topic from this tread. just send me a PM.

Edited by sne_gb, 09 April 2013 - 01:19 AM.
This post has been edited by a member of the Moderation Team, due to inappropriate content. An official notification has also been sent. sne_gb

Magyar_Ember_Vagyok #19 Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:17 AM

Private

• Player
  • 5934 battles
I use 64bit Kubuntu, the ~/.wine was automaticly configurated for 32bit Win env. (Also with 64bit PSBSD.)

Edited by BlastFurnace, 07 April 2013 - 09:17 AM.

Dr_Mengede #20 Posted 07 April 2013 - 06:14 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 23975 battles
  • [DSNL] DSNL
hmmm. I installed Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon 64-bit on my  pc again. (clean install.)
Before installing playonlinux you must install 7z-full and xterm. If you don yo get the message that they are missing, not a problem though as you can still install it through synaptic packetmanager and restart the playonlinux installation afterward again. ;)

I installed the latest wine. 1.5.27  but when installing ie7 it installs wine 1.4  and ie8 install 1.2.xx. i removed both afterwards  and re-ran sudo apt-get update , sudo apt-get upgrade.

@BlastFurnace  For some reason I still got ie7 and ie8 giving errors for not supporting the wine x86_64 installed. Kinda Strange. But no error when using PlayOnLinux.
I just wait and look what happens after I have installed WoT again. (I mean try to start it up.)
I got the launcher running, but than several errors. starting with lib11 not available or critical error popup window for wotlauncher. As far as I remember they are linked to the lib11 error while installing.  (Uninstalled it now.)

So now trying the install with PlayOnLinux version 4.2.1. Till now no errors  and downloading the 4616.54MB is going well. (Just a pitty though that you can't point to a local location to watch for files. Like the Download directory.)

Edited by DrEsqueleto, 07 April 2013 - 07:05 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users