reset resetting cap capping counter breaking advanced guide

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

Conte_Vincero #21 Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:47 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 10403 battles
  • [BAOR] BAOR
I'll remember the tracks thing, a couple of battles ago I charged into the cap zone in my Alecto, having evaded a covering KV-1S and Stug III, I took aim at the Capping VK3601H and blasted an HE shell in the last possible second, which bounced...

Trent #22 Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:46 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 10516 battles

View PostTrent, on 16 March 2013 - 03:37 PM, said:

A few months ago someone posted quite a hilarious replay on the forums, in which the guy lost a battle by capping: him vs. 2 of the small French tanks, south base on Mountain Pass. He made 2 fatal mistakes:
- he didn't repair observation device, even though he had an unused repair kit; so they could see him coming from afar (while he didn't) and hid behind a tent,
- when he was pretty close already, he didn't shot the tent they were clearly hiding behind.

At the moment cap reached 100% (with exclamation mark), he was almost on the edge of the cap and the replay ended with him still being unable to spot them.  :teethhappy: By the speed of capping you could clearly see that both of them were hiding behind the tent.

OK, found this and converted to YouTube:

Jump to 9:25 to go straight to the lulz part.

Anyone interested in the actual replay file can go here:
http://forum.worldof...eplay-included/

krazypenguin #23 Posted 24 April 2013 - 04:43 PM

Major

• Player
  • 30593 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostTrent, on 26 March 2013 - 07:46 PM, said:

OK, found this and converted to YouTube:

Jump to 9:25 to go straight to the lulz part.

Anyone interested in the actual replay file can go here:
http://forum.worldof...eplay-included/

Lol!!!  Brilliant find - thanks for sharing it :-)

NERDST3R #24 Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:06 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 20433 battles
I have another tip!

If both teams are capping and each team is on a similar cap then sometimes you will have to sacrifice your tank to reset. If you can reset cap and by doing so it will win you the game, you must reset at all costs! Even if you only reset once and then you die, if you win then it's a worthwhile sacrifice.

After all, a won game is always better than a surviving tank.

daddlar #25 Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:01 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 30454 battles
  • [DID0] DID0
Just wanted to share an unreal situation. This is what can happen combining acceptable situational awareness and aggressive play-style against poor awareness and poor positioning. (XVM do tell me what to expect from the individual tank)

I'm going for a decap.
- Noted during my approached two enemy tanks got damaged, cap-counter changed about -5 points.
- Baffled by the sight, all enemies pointing their guns and hulls in the same direction.
- Aim for the hellcat, shoot on the move and RNG was against me.
- I continue forward at 60 kph (elc amx has 11 sec reload in my config) and slide right in between them. "hi, don't mind me.. just waiting for my loader.. 6-8 seconds or so"

If the players were trying to win they should have guns and hulls pointing in at least two directions, shielding the VK45 and watched the minimap. The outcome would have been different as my team came one at the time.

I took about 100 damage scraping against the VK30s tracks and unnecessary bumping into the VK45. Trying to shield me from the hellcat and stay under the VK30s gun. Also note, if they would have shot at me and missed the VK45 would have been hit instead,
Posted Image
Guess what? I survived the battle, stunned.

Arkhell #26 Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:11 PM

Lieutenant General

• Beta Tester
  • 16973 battles
little edit to the high tier capping low tier defending.

if you cannot hope to pentrate the capper or even damage him with HE (possible because your caliber is just to damn small to give any meaningfull HE dmg) then aim and shoot for the tracks.

tracks have F all armor, are allmost always visible and module damage also counts as damage so.... you reset the cap eventhough you are not doing any real damage, this works best with AP since track can even absorb the HE dmg if your unlucky.
if you come in from the side shoot the front drive wheel, this cnounts as tracks and is the easiest to hit while shooting in the side of the tracks could either miss the tracks/tank completely or miss tracks and hit the lower tank hull which could resist your shot depending on the gun you are using and tank you are shooting.

Edited by Arkhell, 29 April 2013 - 02:13 PM.

krazypenguin #27 Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:59 PM

Major

• Player
  • 30593 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostArkhell, on 29 April 2013 - 02:11 PM, said:

little edit to the high tier capping low tier defending.

if you cannot hope to pentrate the capper or even damage him with HE (possible because your caliber is just to damn small to give any meaningfull HE dmg) then aim and shoot for the tracks.

tracks have F all armor, are allmost always visible and module damage also counts as damage so.... you reset the cap eventhough you are not doing any real damage, this works best with AP since track can even absorb the HE dmg if your unlucky.
if you come in from the side shoot the front drive wheel, this cnounts as tracks and is the easiest to hit while shooting in the side of the tracks could either miss the tracks/tank completely or miss tracks and hit the lower tank hull which could resist your shot depending on the gun you are using and tank you are shooting.

Thanks Arkhell - I think I've covered the track thing in point 2 but you are correct about exacty where to aim on the tracks so I have updated it and included an image.  I appreciate your input and have given you credit!

Swoopie #28 Posted 25 May 2013 - 05:05 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 30480 battles
  • [RSOP] RSOP
Well here's an example of arty defending the cap:

Video description has more info, but basically I tell my team who has the cap (It's pretty easy to do when you have the "godmode" view).

lgfrbcsgo #29 Posted 26 May 2013 - 01:50 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 43765 battles
  • [STRGV] STRGV
Nice one, keep writing guides  :smile:

krazypenguin #30 Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:29 PM

Major

• Player
  • 30593 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostNERDST3R, on 28 April 2013 - 11:06 PM, said:

I have another tip!

If both teams are capping and each team is on a similar cap then sometimes you will have to sacrifice your tank to reset. If you can reset cap and by doing so it will win you the game, you must reset at all costs! Even if you only reset once and then you die, if you win then it's a worthwhile sacrifice.

Quite right - I'm going to add this in now and credit you, thanks!

Audey #31 Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:49 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 3680 battles
ahhhh so this is what people mean when they say "reset you noob" . I was a noob. but now i know. now im a smarter noob :)

Thank you for the guide :D

krazypenguin #32 Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:21 PM

Major

• Player
  • 30593 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Shameless bump in response to this thread about returning to base

Burglaralarm #33 Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:31 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 57135 battles
has anyone ever sacrificed himself to stop/halt cap while friendlies are coming?

I did that on Steppes contact...enemy had almost 100% so I rushed with my t29 straight into the circle..made a few shots...died anyway but held countdown long enough for the friendlies to come.

__Paige__ #34 Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:12 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 66719 battles
When it's sure i'll lose from capping i always rush, ram one shoot the other, whatever comes to mind. Don't care if i'll get destroyed  :playing:

Kerubi #35 Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:37 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 6999 battles
Nice guide!

I've got just one question: does ramming always inflict damage to reset the cap counter? I think it at least used to be so, but yesterday I followed an allied elc in post-mortem mode, who rammed an enemy to decap, but the counter didn't move at all. It was the only tank in the cap circle.

krazypenguin #36 Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:44 PM

Major

• Player
  • 30593 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostKerubi, on 18 September 2013 - 01:37 PM, said:

Nice guide!

I've got just one question: does ramming always inflict damage to reset the cap counter? I think it at least used to be so, but yesterday I followed an allied elc in post-mortem mode, who rammed an enemy to decap, but the counter didn't move at all. It was the only tank in the cap circle.

Depends on the tanks involved and where contact is made.  Example - a T49 (USA tier 5 TD) is so light that ramming a KV-1 head on will simply result in a blown up T49 and not even a scratch on the KV-1.  So if you are not sure make sure you hit the enemy's tracks, i.e. aim for a corner.  That will almost certainly guarantee some tracking damage and thus reset the cap counter.

Kerubi #37 Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:48 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 6999 battles

View Postkrazypenguin, on 18 September 2013 - 01:44 PM, said:

Depends on the tanks involved and where contact is made.  Example - a T49 (USA tier 5 TD) is so light that ramming a KV-1 head on will simply result in a blown up T49 and not even a scratch on the KV-1.  So if you are not sure make sure you hit the enemy's tracks, i.e. aim for a corner.  That will almost certainly guarantee some tracking damage and thus reset the cap counter.

Thanks for the reply, good to know. I think that before it didn't matter which tank rammed which, even if it didn't do any hitpoint damage, it would still count in resetting the cap. I might also be mistaken. But now I'll have to take this in consideration, especially with the ELC AMX.

AngryObnoxiousOtter #38 Posted 18 September 2013 - 02:16 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Clan Commander
  • 41797 battles
  • [OOUUF] OOUUF

View PostNERDST3R, on 28 April 2013 - 11:06 PM, said:

I have another tip!

+1 this

and hi btw nerd!

Arkhell #39 Posted 18 September 2013 - 02:34 PM

Lieutenant General

• Beta Tester
  • 16973 battles

View PostKerubi, on 18 September 2013 - 01:48 PM, said:

Thanks for the reply, good to know. I think that before it didn't matter which tank rammed which, even if it didn't do any hitpoint damage, it would still count in resetting the cap. I might also be mistaken. But now I'll have to take this in consideration, especially with the ELC AMX.

I would suggest that if you accept the fact you will have to ram and you are going in for the kill with your ELC while for instance a KV-4/5 or lowe or something like that is capping you have a real big chance that even if you ram into the track you will still not reset the cap (those things weigh 90 tonnes + and your tank just will not do any damage or even track damage thanks to the weight difference) hold of your shot till the last possible second to shoot the track just before you make impact, that way if the ram doesn't do the job atleast there is a really big chance the shell will hit the track and does reset the cap.

chaosddd #40 Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:01 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 38393 battles
Guys, just a warning about decapping with HE shells:

After the last patches, lower power HE shells bounce quite often and don't do any damage. Use HE only with high calibre guns for decapping.

Also tagged with reset, resetting, cap, capping, counter, breaking, advanced, guide

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users