Video: Newcomer’s tutorial

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
24 replies to this topic

Community #1 Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:37 PM

Sergeant

• Content Team
  • 0 battles
Learn how to rule the game with our new beginner's tutorial!

Full news text

dysje #2 Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:49 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 22895 battles
I haven't checked yet, but would this give the M3 Stuart LL that the previous "tutorial" gave? I kind of missed that one and it would be awesome in my collection!

edit: just checked, no M3 =(

dvoridex #3 Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:08 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 11874 battles
  • [E-J-P] E-J-P
Wow... this tutorial does not show or explain anything but how to move point your gun and shoot....... something you learn instinctively in your first battle.

Instead tutorial should have explained how to aim at weakspots, how to angle your tanks, how to hide and some basic tactics......

WG just keeps piling fail after fail with every new patch. hard to watch game with such potential butchered by incompetence and greed, glad i stopped playing and went to WT.

_SMG_ #4 Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:12 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 6801 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
"This" took roughly 2 years to prepare? Such obligatory tutorial should have been implemented back in the beta...

Bloodyfox #5 Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:15 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 24306 battles
  • [RAKIA] RAKIA
At least this tutorial made me laugh.

ysk #6 Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:18 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 29176 battles
  • [-ONE-] -ONE-
Tried to enter, waited for 10 mins. and quit... :/ There isn't even a prize like for first tutorial... Some tier 2 tank? :(

Invictus_Trax #7 Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:26 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 6906 battles
The idea is quite good, but the content is pretty poor.
e.g. you should have included a little weakspot turorial and a short information about impact-angles.

_FALX_ #8 Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:28 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 8028 battles
  • [ROPS] ROPS
THAT'S ALL?  :Smile_confused: OMG!
1.Camo is not explained.
2.They tell u to shoot from side but they don't tell u to shoot the LFP or other weakpoints.
3. Not a word about arty.
4. Not a word about ur crew, modules, equipment, armor...
5. Tactics? It encorages camping and autoaim.
This is bad! This is very bad!

supercharge #9 Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:35 PM

English Community Manager

• WG Staff
  • 1569 battles
  • [WG-EU] WG-EU
ok guys, thanks for your comments and we're waiting for more.
Don't forget that this tutorial is dedicated to those who have never played the game before so it must be easy but I like your feedback where you write what should be explained further and what is missing in the video.
Thanks a lot!  :Smile_Default:

Crono_X #10 Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:40 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 15168 battles
  • [RNGHU] RNGHU
The tutorial is good for a first part. There should be more advanced tutorials too for weak spots, hiding etc.

Enerdshirak #11 Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:05 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 19316 battles
  • [READ] READ
After 10k battles I finally learn how to play this game.  :Smile_Default:
Unfortunately I ran out of ammo, but you even implemented an option to refill it ingame. Awesome!

Osvik #12 Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:08 PM

Private

• Player
  • 18830 battles
Missing:

It's green team vs red team with mixed nationalities. Don't shoot "enemy" tanks in your team. :Smile-playing:

Amd from my own experience: There is "satellite"/top-down view availabe for SPG/artillery and how to change view.

Annihilism #13 Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:12 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 11177 battles
  • [GOT2] GOT2
I have to admit WG, this is a very good start for a tutorial. I do have some remarks though:

Part 1:
In part one i have nothing to complain, solidly explains how terrain works

Part 2:
Basic Aiming, i would actually put the autoaim part in this section but note very explicitly that autoaiming is generally very Inaccurate and not advised unless you have no other choice (like being ambushed by 4 other enemies and you cant look directly at the tank you're aiming for)

Part 3:
It is explained well that shooting at the front of an enemy tank is not the best idea. However i would add that there is the ability to zoom in with your mousewheel and aim for weakspot. You can for example tell in the tutuorial that MG nests are generally a weak point on the front of most tanks and that players might find more as they try and shoot for different area's on the tank (like the commanders cupola or just generally weak armored spots). Especially the zooming should be explained since not learning people to zoom in means they will mostly use non zoomed view wich really makes aiming for weakspots hard.

This part also shows really well that enemies generally have weaker sides. What i would add though that it is easy to hit modules from the side of most tanks like ammoracks, fueltanks, engine compartiments and that you might even set a tank on fire. And please do not tell people to autoaim when just driving around a tank, it is generally a very bad tactic and you barely hit anything with autoaim especially from a distance. Autoaim has its uses as i said above but should only be resorted to in emergency situations.

Part 4:
It is nicely explained how view range works and how to conceal yourself. What i would add though is that shooting behind a bush lowers your camouflage. Also really well done on how to explain people to shoot a bit in front of the tank while it is moving because of the travel time the shell has.

What i would add to the tutorial:
- The ability to track people on the move by shooting at the tracks.
- Some general tactics like "peek a booing", side scraping or going hull down
- Driving down bushes while going through terrain means that enemy artillery might spot you
- Angeling a tank might increase the chance to bounce shots

What also would be something for the future to look at:
- tutorials on how to scout
- tutorials on how to successfully play a tank destroyer or artillery meds, heavys etc.

All in all i think WG did really well on this tutorial but it could have some improvements. Nevertheless it's a really nice start, i would make this tutorial obligatory for any enemy tank.

Alot of people do not know how the game works (and i can't really blame them) because there are alot of mechanics to keep in mind. Making tutorials would benefit everyone in this game.

Good job WG, keep up the good work!

Darussios #14 Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:30 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 4943 battles
I found following weak points:

1) Nowhere is explained, that you can shoot on weakpoints of tanks (drivers hatch, commanders coppola etc.), only rear and side armor are shown in the tutorial itself.
2) Nowhere is explained, how to position your tank to increase the chance to deflect enemy shells. Also the factor of angled armor is nowhere explained => You provoke people to inherit flames like "German tanks are weak" because they get nowhere shown, that they should angle their German tank (just to quote one of many noob statements).
3) In the movie, which you can watch at the result screen right after the tutorial, nowhere is explained, where to get the consumables (Repair Kit, First Aid Kit, Fire Extinguisher) and nowhere is explained, that you have to pay credits to get them.
4) In the tutorial itself, it isn't explained, that you have to stand BEHIND the bush, not in it, so you get camouflaged and also the possibility, how to check, that you're camouflaged, isn't explained (I recall the "look at the front of your tank, if it is totally grey outlined"-thing).
5) In the video after the tutorial, it isn't explained at all, that your crewmen can get perks and that they can increase in skill.
6) SPG's and TD's are nowhere described, their existence is only mentioned in the video after the tutorial.
7) Only the standard battle mode is demonstrated in the video after the tutorial, Encounter and Attack mode aren't mentioned or shown (According to how many guys seemingly don't understand those modes, you should mention, how to play in them and what the objectives are in these modes)
8) Nowhere is explained, how to get new tanks, economy isn't described etc etc.
9) The report system isn't being mentioned or explained.
10) The communication system isn't mentioned or explained.

These are the flaws, that really jumped to eye in my opinion, how couldn't you see those I mean, I guess it isn't like you programmed that tutorial and video yesterday in the last minute before the patch.

GuerillaWF #15 Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:23 PM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 27196 battles
  • [GOD_S] GOD_S
HA HA HA 1+1=2 and 1+1+1=3 ... come on this game is intended for +16 +18 ... i guess.

Atlervetok #16 Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:33 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 7719 battles
  • [L10NS] L10NS
alot of high tier players will benifit of this tutorial ^^ ive seen alot of guys who didnt even seem to know how to fire there gun

TigerMoth #17 Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:34 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 28292 battles
Sorry, this tutorial falls short of being anywhere near useful.
  • It would have been useful to explain that the minimap size can be increased or decreased to make it easier to view
  • It didn't explain that firing reduces the tanks camo value.
  • It didn't explain that auto aim is not useful against moving targets or that better shots can be achieved firing manually - in fact, the video implies that auto aim should be used by default.
  • It didn't explain how to get into sniper view.
  • It doesn't explain crew deaths or how to 'heal' them.
  • It doesn't explain module damage and how to repair them.
  • It doesn't explain premium vehicles and the penalties for not training crews for the current vehicle.
  • It doesn't explain crew perks and skills.
  • It doesn't explain how to use bushes for cover when firing (ie. move back until the bush is no longer transparent).
I could go on, but this is pitiful given how long it has alleged to be in the making.  I think you should get a competition in place for the community to create instructional videos and then get your droll voice-over-man to do the commentary.

_Sigg_ #18 Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:40 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 18127 battles
  • [LOM] LOM

View Postsupercharge, on 06 March 2013 - 05:35 PM, said:

Don't forget that this tutorial is dedicated to those who have never played the game [...]

Nope. This tutorial is dedicated to everyone, who never played any game before. I'm missing the following explanations:
"How to turn the PC on and off."
"How shall I move my fingers to use the keyboard?"
"What's this... Internet"?
"Do I need a chair or is it possible to sit on the ground while playing the game?"
"The tanks in the game are smaller than my hand, even when zooming in. But tanks in real are even bigger than a car. Why that?"
"How can I activate the wings of my tank?"

In short: This tutorial is totally hilarious. As I said before. This tutorial is for people who never played a game in their entire life. If you want to make a tutorial for first-time-WoT-players, then explain the battle basics - especially the camo-stuff. Otherwise it's a totally senseless piece of work. Can't believe you're really serious. Thx for the 300 free experience-points anyway.

Edited by _Sigg_, 07 March 2013 - 12:41 AM.

Ding760 #19 Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:03 AM

First Sergeant

• Community Contributor
  • 9369 battles

View Post_SMG_, on 06 March 2013 - 05:12 PM, said:

"This" took roughly 2 years to prepare? Such obligatory tutorial should have been implemented back in the beta...

You're forgetting technically 8.4 is 0.8.4. We are STILL in beta :D

fanttis #20 Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:51 AM

First Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 26686 battles
  • [RSOP] RSOP

View Postsupercharge, on 06 March 2013 - 05:35 PM, said:

Don't forget that this tutorial is dedicated to those who have never played the game before so it must be easy but I like your feedback where you write what should be explained further and what is missing in the video.
Thanks a lot!  :Smile_Default:
I think it's a good start, but it's not a real tutorial. As a first part it serves very well, since I think it was made very well: the level of each task stays pretty much the same and it manages to introduce basic stuff.
Now you only need to do this: gather all the necessary info for one to need to play this game well, split it into sections and create 9 more of these tutorials to make it a real tutorial. Also keep the prices rolling. Personally I much enjoyed the old tutorial which granted you premium M3 Lt, and more importantly, a 100% commander (the value of crew skills should be made clear to newcomers).

"...so it must be easy..." - Yes the tutorial should start easy, but it shouldn't end there for the game is far from easy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users