Jump to content


Churchill GC


This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
25 replies to this topic

Marine361y #1 Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:14 PM

    Junior Sergeant

  • Player
  • 4679 battles
  • 125
  • [DAFT] DAFT
  • Member since:
    03-09-2012
Surely the GC should be available to research from the AT2 and not the Churchill Mk1. If you have already elited the Mk1 it's going to be a long old grind using free XP. Your thoughts please?



Andy

Edited by Orree, 27 March 2013 - 10:40 PM.
This post has been moved by a member of the Moderation team due to its initial improper forum placement. ---Orree


Bosancjeros #2 Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:22 PM

    Senior Sergeant

  • Player
  • 10664 battles
  • 636
  • [BOSNA] BOSNA
  • Member since:
    05-09-2011
Nobody is forcing you to grind it out, and really, playing the Churchill Mk1 isn't really painful, I really enjoyed it.

Loon #3 Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:23 PM

    Senior Sergeant

  • Player
  • 12774 battles
  • 981
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    01-28-2011

View PostMarine361y, on 06 March 2013 - 06:14 PM, said:

Surely the GC should be available to research from the AT2 and not the Churchill Mk1. If you have already elited the Mk1 it's going to be a long old grind using free XP. Your thoughts please?



Andy

Er remove the tick from elite crew and just play the tank?


Loon

pej5ek #4 Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:26 PM

    Junior Sergeant

  • Player
  • 14240 battles
  • 137
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL
  • Member since:
    07-08-2012
My thought is why would any one go for it. Crap armor and mobility and 49k exp is a lot. With 49k free xp you can get AT8 (without modules) which has much better armor.

Platypusbill #5 Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:38 PM

    First Sergeant

  • Player
  • 21255 battles
  • 3,701
  • [WOOF] WOOF
  • Member since:
    04-22-2011
It's logical that it's researched from the Church I, it's based on it after all. Besides, most trees have crossovers from a heavy or med line to a TD line.

Tiger P -> Ferdi
T-34 -> SU-85
Sherman E8 -> Jackson

Anyway, I think both the Church I and the GC are terrible (i have only played the former, but just from looking at the carrier I can tell it sucks). The Church I is bad in every way except for the gun, the latter has good penetration and accuracy but the gun is otherwise mediocre, and it's mounted on a platform that has:

Crap mobility
A huge slablike front that every tier V+ and many tier IV tanks can penetrate
Very retricted gun movement
A large roof that arty can hit relatively easily.
Oh, and you can hit the sponsons inside the tracks for HP damage through the front- that's right, you can just track it, move slightly to the side and peck it to death whilst keeping it permanently immobilised.

Edited by Platypusbill, 06 March 2013 - 06:40 PM.


Marine361y #6 Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:48 PM

    Junior Sergeant

  • Player
  • 4679 battles
  • 125
  • [DAFT] DAFT
  • Member since:
    03-09-2012
I'm on fire today if my Churchill is elite because I researched the Churchill Mk7 and a new tank is added to the tech tree that surely must be researched to elite the Mk1 if the tank isn't already elite. Then why is the Mk1 still showing as elite and thus i am not able to use the XP gained with the Mk1 to research the new tank. The KV1 is a prime example of multiple tanks to research to elite the KV1.
This means that new players or players that didn't research the Mk7 are at an advantage as they can use the XP gained with the Mk1 to research the GC.

@Loon removing the tick from the accelerate crew training doesn't mean you can use the XP to research it means you have to buy gold to convert the XP to usable XP.


Now my head hurts I'd better lie down for a while!!!!!!

Andy

AngryRhino #7 Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:51 PM

    Lance-corporal

  • Player
  • 32169 battles
  • 48
  • [--P--] --P--
  • Member since:
    01-24-2012

View PostPlatypusbill, on 06 March 2013 - 06:38 PM, said:

It's logical that it's researched from the Church I, it's based on it after all. Besides, most trees have crossovers from a heavy or med line to a TD line.

Tiger P -> Ferdi
T-34 -> SU-85
Sherman E8 -> Jackson

Anyway, I think both the Church I and the GC are terrible (i have only played the former, but just from looking at the carrier I can tell it sucks). The Church I is bad in every way except for the gun, the latter has good penetration and accuracy but the gun is otherwise mediocre, and it's mounted on a platform that has:

Crap mobility
A huge slablike front that every tier V+ and many tier IV tanks can penetrate
Very retricted gun movement
A large roof that arty can hit relatively easily.
Oh, and you can hit the sponsons inside the tracks for HP damage through the front- that's right, you can just track it, move slightly to the side and peck it to death whilst keeping it permanently immobilised.
...hmm,i was about to ask which path to choose to reach tier 7.Think u already answered to my question.

Forduc #8 Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:55 PM

    First Sergeant

  • Beta Tester
  • 16207 battles
  • 1,545
  • [MARS] MARS
  • Member since:
    11-21-2010

View PostMarine361y, on 06 March 2013 - 06:48 PM, said:

@Loon removing the tick from the accelerate crew training doesn't mean you can use the XP to research it means you have to buy gold to convert the XP to usable XP.

You can still use the XP normally if there's something left to research in the tank.

Generally only happens when new tanks are added to the tree.

Loon #9 Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:17 AM

    Senior Sergeant

  • Player
  • 12774 battles
  • 981
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    01-28-2011

View PostMarine361y, on 06 March 2013 - 06:48 PM, said:


@Loon removing the tick from the accelerate crew training doesn't mean you can use the XP to research it means you have to buy gold to convert the XP to usable XP.


Now my head hurts I'd better lie down for a while!!!!!!

Andy

But it does and that is why I mentioned it  :) .

Just remove tick from advananced crew training and XP just starts to pool as normal so when you have enough you just research the TD. Just remember to retick the box or you will have a large pool of XP to convert.

Also anybody who thinks the Churchill is rubbish really does need to learn how to play it. Yes it has some quirks and is a bit slow but it is easily the second best tier V heavy after the KV.

Loon

BonchoSlonchoIV_anewhope #10 Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:30 AM

    Sergeant

  • Player
  • 5 battles
  • 378
  • Member since:
    06-06-2012
Stay away from the ChurchillGC! It is crap on every single level. This thing is slow, the armour is not reliable and it is big and slow too!
It is the only tank so far, that I rage sold after only 10 games. Converting the exp for the tier 7 British TD will cost me 10 euros - GG WG! you got me this time.

Gr3yDeath #11 Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:38 AM

    Sergeant

  • Player
  • 22393 battles
  • 257
  • Member since:
    12-29-2011
I don't have problem with it as other nations tech trees have same possibilites.

And the price for jumping from heavy tank to TD is in xp. And in case of Churchill GC you can find xp problem actually one tier higher on next TD (look at guns).

Lolleroman #12 Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:38 AM

    Sergeant

  • Player
  • 30167 battles
  • 314
  • [RSOP] RSOP
  • Member since:
    08-04-2011
I didn't like Arl V39 but Churchill Gun Carrier is something new...
GWTiger's gun traverse, slow and big box, less HP and armor than Churchill III (tier 5 prem), thus full of holes by scouts shooting trough with autoaim and 200 effiency. ARL V39 is better when elited, worse when stock.

_Rob_Zombie_ #13 Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:20 PM

    Junior Sergeant

  • Player
  • 28686 battles
  • 208
  • Member since:
    06-18-2011

View PostLoon, on 07 March 2013 - 10:17 AM, said:

Also anybody who thinks the Churchill is rubbish really does need to learn how to play it. Yes it has some quirks and is a bit slow but it is easily the second best tier V heavy after the KV.

I agree with that and here is one of my battle results from when I was preparing the XP for the Gun Carrier before the update:

Posted Image

p.s. The blue medal is a Ranger medal and the new look was made by me. I made new looks for Spartan, Lucky, Cool-Headed and Ranger so they fit in with old ones.

Wuppiecat #14 Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:37 PM

    Junior Sergeant

  • Player
  • 11060 battles
  • 205
  • Member since:
    09-03-2011
Well my initial experience of the CGC wasn't great and since it takes 32k xp to get the top gun then 60k for the AT7 plus the tank having so many drawbacks I am currentlythinking that going straight up the TD line is probably the best route for your sanity.
I had high hopes for it as the Churchill I is a really great tank but the poor stealth, poor speed, poor armor and rubbish gun traverse make for a pretty bad gun carrier - that 2.9 sec aim time for top gun coupled with the bad gun traverse is going to be particularly frustrating i think

exvirilis #15 Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:51 PM

    Lance-corporal

  • Player
  • 10999 battles
  • 48
  • Member since:
    06-13-2011
I just love people commenting on the CGC without actually playing it, or only playing 10 games.  So, let's start with the bad:

yes, anything will penetrate this thing.  
yes, the gun has woeful traverse, so you need to keep moving chassis to hit enemies
the stock gun is an absolute travesty.  as a result of which I used free xp to get the second gun after only one game

and then suddenly I really started enjoying this tank.  doing 250 damage at this tier with a gun that fires relatively quickly can often make enemies panic and retreat.  But you must must must make sure you're not targeted - which means hanging behind your teammates.

So if you're gung-ho and charge up ahead, you'll do some damage and then die a gloriously quick death.  But if you play intelligently, you can deal serious amounts of damage very quickly.

I must admit, in some games i'm spotted and targeted and it's game over quickly - leading to a rage quit from me :-).  But if I hang around concealed, then it's a joy.

oh and by the way the gun depression on this tank is amazing - playing on those sand dunes is suddenly enjoyable, whereas in virtually every other tank it's frustrating.

Captain_Hauptman #16 Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:55 PM

    Senior Sergeant

  • Player
  • 3100 battles
  • 888
  • Member since:
    07-21-2012

View Postexvirilis, on 07 March 2013 - 02:51 PM, said:

I just love people commenting on the CGC without actually playing it, or only playing 10 games.  So, let's start with the bad:

yes, anything will penetrate this thing.  
yes, the gun has woeful traverse, so you need to keep moving chassis to hit enemies
the stock gun is an absolute travesty.  as a result of which I used free xp to get the second gun after only one game

and then suddenly I really started enjoying this tank.  doing 250 damage at this tier with a gun that fires relatively quickly can often make enemies panic and retreat.  But you must must must make sure you're not targeted - which means hanging behind your teammates.

So if you're gung-ho and charge up ahead, you'll do some damage and then die a gloriously quick death.  But if you play intelligently, you can deal serious amounts of damage very quickly.

I must admit, in some games i'm spotted and targeted and it's game over quickly - leading to a rage quit from me :-).  But if I hang around concealed, then it's a joy.

oh and by the way the gun depression on this tank is amazing - playing on those sand dunes is suddenly enjoyable, whereas in virtually every other tank it's frustrating.

So, a bit like the SU-85B then? (Ignoring tier for a moment) ; No armour, vulnerable as all hell to arty, but capable of throwing out a horrific amount of damage?

exvirilis #17 Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:32 PM

    Lance-corporal

  • Player
  • 10999 battles
  • 48
  • Member since:
    06-13-2011
So, a bit like the SU-85B then? (Ignoring tier for a moment) ; No armour, vulnerable as all hell to arty, but capable of throwing out a horrific amount of damage?

exactly that - and i loved the SU-85B too.

And bear in mind with gold ammo that armour is much less important now anyway.

One thing i forgot to mention in the bad though is it's v slow.  I just played a game now where we won easily, but i hardly hit anything because I couldn't keep up with the team.  It's a perverse thing (bearing in mind the stats use average damage) that you often get more damage when losing that when winning

Yamaxanadu #18 Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:34 PM

    First Sergeant

  • Player
  • 1098 battles
  • 5,631
  • [YATTA] YATTA
  • Member since:
    10-07-2011
Well... Churchill Gun Carrier is researched from Churchill Mk.I. Quite logical.

triggerbunny #19 Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:36 PM

    First Sergeant

  • Player
  • 16978 battles
  • 1,248
  • [FIFO] FIFO
  • Member since:
    05-06-2011
I re-bought my churchil about 2/3 weeks ago when it was on offer, just to get enough exp for it.

Yamaxanadu #20 Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:38 PM

    First Sergeant

  • Player
  • 1098 battles
  • 5,631
  • [YATTA] YATTA
  • Member since:
    10-07-2011

View Posttriggerbunny, on 08 March 2013 - 12:36 PM, said:

I re-bought my churchil about 2/3 weeks ago when it was on offer, just to get enough exp for it.
I still need around 40K. =(