Jump to content


pc build

pc build

  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

nr09 #1 Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:46 PM

    Lance-corporal

  • Beta Tester
  • 24801 battles
  • 87
  • Member since:
    11-28-2010
hi

i'm going to put my desktop off duty and maybe give it to my girlfriend who meanly uses the internet.
reasons are that my desktop has suffered enough from wot and isn't capable of running wot on 30fps on medium settings
so i came up with this computerbuild, keep in mind this is a slam case.


silverstone FT09-mini
Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe
intel core i7 3770k
silverstone 450w sfx 80+ gold
XMS3 — 8GB Dual Channel DDR3  
->?Hydro Series™ H80i High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler?<- REALLY NOT SURE IF THIS FIT (im not experienced in liquid cooling)
Corsair Neutron Series CSSD-N256GB3-BK 2.5" 256GB SATA III
slim optical drive (no idea what to look for, needs to be slim a love it iff it was one of those cd players that has no tray where you put in the cd)
EVGA GeForce GTX 680+ 4GB w/Backplate

yea yea i know why go for mini case iff a normal case does the job, well im always being one not going with the flow
so guys and women that know alot more from computers then me.
work your magic and tell me:
-is this going to work?
-what am i missing?
-what components have i used wrong?
more importantly tell me plz why, i'm also a pesron who just wants to learn

best regards
nr.09

DooM_DuiF #2 Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:52 PM

    Private

  • Player
  • 14664 battles
  • 43
  • [MACE] MACE
  • Member since:
    04-06-2011
As far as i can see the PSU is not up for the job, 680GTX needs a 550w minimum.

nr09 #3 Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:54 PM

    Lance-corporal

  • Beta Tester
  • 24801 battles
  • 87
  • Member since:
    11-28-2010

View PostDooM_DuiF, on 06 March 2013 - 08:52 PM, said:

As far as i can see the PSU is not up for the job, 680GTX needs a 550w minimum.
so any suggestions wich i chould take?

del501767825 #4 Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:57 PM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 22095 battles
  • 2,316
  • Member since:
    11-20-2011
u want gaming rig?
go with medium/big tower, take 700 w psu and enjoy, or buy some gaming laptop... small, mobile and for cca 1000-1500€ u can buy beast.

nr09 #5 Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:02 PM

    Lance-corporal

  • Beta Tester
  • 24801 battles
  • 87
  • Member since:
    11-28-2010

View PostTomyslav, on 06 March 2013 - 08:57 PM, said:

u want gaming rig?
go with medium/big tower, take 700 w psu and enjoy, or buy some gaming laptop... small, mobile and for cca 1000-1500€ u can buy beast.
i prefer a gaming rig in that case, it just looks cool

Marine361y #6 Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:23 PM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 4918 battles
  • 117
  • [DAFT] DAFT
  • Member since:
    03-09-2012
Has the case already got the holes drilled for the water cooler pipes? If not then you'll need to drill them yourself. My rig is water cooled and the cooler came with a drill bit and the grommets to cover the sharp edges of the holes I drilled.
And the guy's are right about the PSU I would say 550w minimum.
The 256GB SSD is overkill I would get a 128GB as you'll only be installing the OS on it. And then a 1TB drive to run Programs from.



Andy

nr09 #7 Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:30 PM

    Lance-corporal

  • Beta Tester
  • 24801 battles
  • 87
  • Member since:
    11-28-2010

View PostMarine361y, on 06 March 2013 - 09:23 PM, said:

Has the case already got the holes drilled for the water cooler pipes?
uhm i think it doesnt need holes in the case, everything is put in the case...
for the ssd well im not really a person with a lot off memory useage. think that wot is probably the biggest file on my current desktop
i dont music music, films or other programs on my pc (music on iphone and movies i delete once ive seen them)
i could live with the 256gb free memory for everything

Marine361y #8 Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:37 PM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 4918 battles
  • 117
  • [DAFT] DAFT
  • Member since:
    03-09-2012

View Postnr09, on 06 March 2013 - 09:30 PM, said:

uhm i think it doesnt need holes in the case, everything is put in the case...
for the ssd well im not really a person with a lot off memory useage. think that wot is probably the biggest file on my current desktop
i dont music music, films or other programs on my pc (music on iphone and movies i delete once ive seen them)
i could live with the 256gb free memory for everything

I would still go down the 2 HDD route as in the future you might need the storage. I have 4TB of storage in my rig with a 128GB SSD as the boot drive. The water cooler doesn't all fit in the case the pump and the tank sit outside the case that's why you need the holes for the cooler pipes. I would use the air cooler you will get with the CPU and do away with the idea of water cooling for now as you not going the overclock anything you won't need the extra cooling from the water system.

You'll have to excuse me I'm not being ignorant if I don't reply for a while Celtic are playing Juventus on sky :Smile_popcorn1:
Andy

Edited by Marine361y, 06 March 2013 - 09:39 PM.


nr09 #9 Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:18 PM

    Lance-corporal

  • Beta Tester
  • 24801 battles
  • 87
  • Member since:
    11-28-2010

View PostMarine361y, on 06 March 2013 - 09:37 PM, said:



I would still go down the 2 HDD route as in the future you might need the storage. I have 4TB of storage in my rig with a 128GB SSD as the boot drive. The water cooler doesn't all fit in the case the pump and the tank sit outside the case that's why you need the holes for the cooler pipes. I would use the air cooler you will get with the CPU and do away with the idea of water cooling for now as you not going the overclock anything you won't need the extra cooling from the water system.

You'll have to excuse me I'm not being ignorant if I don't reply for a while Celtic are playing Juventus on sky :Smile_popcorn1:
Andy
Im ive watched alot at this case and some build ups on youtube where this cooling does fit in the case also the pump en cooling grill (also im choosing cooling becaus it they recommet it for its small size wont be able to cool down just on fans
But i like the way you suggest things

basin79 #10 Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:20 PM

    General

  • Player
  • 15351 battles
  • 8,683
  • Member since:
    03-13-2012
Unless you're going to do intense video editing cancel the i7 and get an i5 3570K. Hyper threading (i7) is wasted on games. Save your money and put it towards something else. My i5 is overclocked to 4.6. With my GTX680 it runs WoT, Battlefield 3 and Borderlands 2 and full/ultra settings without a stutter. I have a corsair GS800 psu. It's more than up to the job of running my gaming rig. Personally I'd get a bigger case and a good fan cooler for your cpu. Less hassle. Mine is whisper quiet. It's an Akasa nero 3.

nr09 #11 Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:07 AM

    Lance-corporal

  • Beta Tester
  • 24801 battles
  • 87
  • Member since:
    11-28-2010

View Postbasin79, on 06 March 2013 - 11:20 PM, said:

Unless you're going to do intense video editing cancel the i7 and get an i5 3570K. Hyper threading (i7) is wasted on games. Save your money and put it towards something else. My i5 is overclocked to 4.6. With my GTX680 it runs WoT, Battlefield 3 and Borderlands 2 and full/ultra settings without a stutter. I have a corsair GS800 psu. It's more than up to the job of running my gaming rig. Personally I'd get a bigger case and a good fan cooler for your cpu. Less hassle. Mine is whisper quiet. It's an Akasa nero 3.
Okay noted i5 is good enough (so without hypertreading)
But i like the case :-p

nr09 #12 Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:37 PM

    Lance-corporal

  • Beta Tester
  • 24801 battles
  • 87
  • Member since:
    11-28-2010
okay dum me i found out that the silverstone ft03 is practicly the same but a little bigger
this will fix everything

basin79 #13 Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:48 PM

    General

  • Player
  • 15351 battles
  • 8,683
  • Member since:
    03-13-2012

View Postnr09, on 08 March 2013 - 04:37 PM, said:

okay dum me i found out that the silverstone ft03 is practicly the same but a little bigger
this will fix everything

There's nothing to fix. It certainly won't do you any harm to get a bigger case. Easier to tinker inside if you need to and gives your system a "chance to breathe". Plus you can put in a dirty big whisper quiet cooler.





Also tagged with pc, build

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users