Is The Game Supposed To Run On One Core?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
108 replies to this topic

wtfmikez0r #1 Posted 20 December 2010 - 04:49 PM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
^ Just realized WoT is running 100% on my first CPU core. Is this set by default? If so it needs to be fixed somehow because my first day of playing my single core hit 80 celcius :o

If this isn't just my problem, you can adjust your affinity to disabling your first CPU core and let WoT run off your others (I'm running on 2,3,and 4 now).

Sbubar #2 Posted 20 December 2010 - 04:51 PM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 23780 battles
  • [SIEMA] SIEMA
This is a known problem as far as I've read from the forums.

A workaround to fix it on multicore cpus atm is to change the core affinity of the process to use cores 2 (,3 and 4.) By doing a .bat file which starts the game with using only cores 2-4 you don't have to go set the core affinity manually every time you start the game. This actually won't cause the game to use all the allocated cores but at least it moves the load off the 1st core, helping a bit with the heating issue and making the game run better.

Just make a new document with notepad, enter the corresponding line (depending wether you have a quad or dual core) in the file and correct the path to your game folder. Save as wot.bat (remember to switch the pull down -menu option into all files instead of .txt text file when saving) and start the game using it.

Quad core:   c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe /C start /affinity E D:\Games\World_of_Tanks_closed_Beta\WorldOfTanks.exe
Dual core:   c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe /C start /affinity 2 D:\Games\World_of_Tanks_closed_Beta\WorldOfTanks.exe

Step-by-step:

1. Open notepad

2a. If your computer has a quad core processor, copy this and paste it in the notepad c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe /C start /affinity E D:\Games\World_of_Tanks_closed_Beta\WorldOfTanks.exe
2b. If your computer has a dual core processor, copy this and paste it in the notepad c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe /C start /affinity 2 D:\Games\World_of_Tanks_closed_Beta\WorldOfTanks.exe

3. Change the part "D:\Games\World_of_Tanks_closed_Beta\" to the corresponding location on your computer, don't touch the WorldOfTanks.exe though.

4. From the top right corner of the Notepad-program, left click "File", then left click "Save as..."

5. Write "WoT.bat" in the save as name field. Don't click save yet.

6. Under the typing field, there's a pull-down menu. Left click it and choose "All Files" instead of the "Text Documents (*.txt)"

7. Now left click save

8. Start World of Tanks by double clicking the WoT.bat file you just made.

9. Enjoy!

TempSGK #3 Posted 20 December 2010 - 04:56 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 9072 battles
whats the difference to this game running on 1 core comparison to 2 core?

Sbubar #4 Posted 20 December 2010 - 04:58 PM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 23780 battles
  • [SIEMA] SIEMA

View PostPinesgkpang, on 20 December 2010 - 04:56 PM, said:

whats the difference to this game running on 1 core comparison to 2 core?

For example, my processor being quad (4) core one, the game uses only the 1st core and puts it to 100% load and leaves the cores 2, 3 & 4 unused, when it should be dividing the stress evenly on all the four cores. This causes low fps and fps spiking down to 1, even if you apply the low graphics pack and run on all low details and effects. And in extreme cases might cause the CPU to overheat if your cooling isn't efficient enough, and damage the processor on longer run.

After the workaround I'm running steadily at 50ish fps with pretty much all the eyecandy turned on.

wtfmikez0r #5 Posted 20 December 2010 - 04:59 PM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
If it runs on only one core you will probably overload your cpu and cause it to overheat, resulting in damage after a long time of doing that. If it runs on more than one core, the load is split. It reduces stress on your first core, which in all games is the most loaded core anyways.

-thanks for the .bat tip Sbubar. Didn't think about doing that.

ARGO_66 #6 Posted 20 December 2010 - 07:11 PM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
So what would you write/edit in for a dual core?

DutchRoyal #7 Posted 20 December 2010 - 07:24 PM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 30298 battles
  • [JBAIT] JBAIT
Can you make a better explanation, because i cant figure it out and i really dont want to damage my procesor.

ZombieFlanders #8 Posted 20 December 2010 - 09:45 PM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
nice trick.  this helped with some of my FPS spikes.  for those of you who cant get ti to work, make sure to lose the quotation marks from sbubar's post, and make sure that you have the correct path to the game.

Sbubar #9 Posted 20 December 2010 - 10:02 PM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 23780 battles
  • [SIEMA] SIEMA
For dual cores, to set it to start only using 2nd core: "c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe /C start /affinity 2 D:\Games\World_of_Tanks_closed_Beta\WorldOfTanks.exe"

Sbubar #10 Posted 20 December 2010 - 10:10 PM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 23780 battles
  • [SIEMA] SIEMA

View PostDutchRoyal, on 20 December 2010 - 07:24 PM, said:

Can you make a better explanation, because i cant figure it out and i really dont want to damage my procesor.

1. Open notepad

2a. If your computer has a quad core processor, copy this and paste it in the notepad c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe /C start /affinity E D:\Games\World_of_Tanks_closed_Beta\WorldOfTanks.exe
2b. If your computer has a dual core processor, copy this and paste it in the notepad c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe /C start /affinity 2 D:\Games\World_of_Tanks_closed_Beta\WorldOfTanks.exe

3. Change the part "D:\Games\World_of_Tanks_closed_Beta\" to the corresponding location on your computer, don't touch the WorldOfTanks.exe though.

4. From the top right corner of the Notepad-program, left click "File", then left click "Save as..."

6. Under the typing field, there's a pull-down menu. Left click it and choose "All Files" instead of the "Text Documents (*.txt)"

7. Now left click save

9. Enjoy!

Sehti #11 Posted 20 December 2010 - 11:37 PM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 2616 battles

View PostSbubar, on 20 December 2010 - 10:10 PM, said:

1. Open notepad

7. Now left click save

9. Enjoy!

Or you could just download and install EasyToolz, go to CPU Affinity and add WorldofTanks.exe. Don´t forget to click at "CPU" on the upper left corner.

Sbubar #12 Posted 21 December 2010 - 12:04 AM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 23780 battles
  • [SIEMA] SIEMA

View PostSehti, on 20 December 2010 - 11:37 PM, said:

Or you could just download and install EasyToolz, go to CPU Affinity and add WorldofTanks.exe. Don´t forget to click at "CPU" on the upper left corner.

Or rather keep using the tools built in the OS instead of getting programs I don't know to do simple copy-pasting. Choice is free.

ZombieFlanders #13 Posted 21 December 2010 - 12:41 AM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
after resetting affinity, how have your guys cpu's loads changed? now my quads second core is near maxed instead of the first, but the third and fourth have a little activity (~10%) where they had none before.  my FPS have stbilized though, so maybe this isnt a very multi-threaded game?

q6600 @ 3.2
4 gig ram
ati 5850
win7 64

Sbubar #14 Posted 21 December 2010 - 01:10 AM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 23780 battles
  • [SIEMA] SIEMA

View PostZombieFlanders, on 21 December 2010 - 12:41 AM, said:

after resetting affinity, how have your guys cpu's loads changed? now my quads second core is near maxed instead of the first, but the third and fourth have a little activity (~10%) where they had none before.  my FPS have stbilized though, so maybe this isnt a very multi-threaded game?

Yes, this seems to be the case. Basically it insist on running on a single core, and if it's the 1st core it strains the system badly. Even though, allowing it to use all the remaining three core really doesn't hurt. My CPU does seem to be running on a bit lower temperature even if the 2nd core is closing to 100% load as well.

Inkompetent #15 Posted 21 December 2010 - 01:50 AM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 4911 battles
Ohh, gonna try this. Won't be running any measurements, but hopefully I'll at least percieve less loading-lag :)

ZombieFlanders #16 Posted 21 December 2010 - 02:49 AM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
it isnt just load time. being able to change the affinity allows us users with duals and quads to offload some workload to the other cores...although the difference isnt huge in the task manager, my FPS dont dip like they used to before when i pan across a large open area.  i guess that the more there is for the gpu to render, the more instructions it needs form the cpu.  if the game is only using 1 core this can be a huge bottleneck.  only a slight change has boosted my min FPS in open areas...before in certain areas i would be in the upper 20's, now in the same spots im near 40 woth the same drivers/settings etc...

X32Wright #17 Posted 21 December 2010 - 06:17 AM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Thanks for the tip. This is why I asked for the Affinity Mask option to be available:

http://forum.worldof...ty-mask-option/

Foka #18 Posted 21 December 2010 - 09:37 AM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 31179 battles

View PostSbubar, on 20 December 2010 - 04:51 PM, said:

Quad core:   c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe /C start /affinity E D:\Games\World_of_Tanks_closed_Beta\WorldOfTanks.exe
Dual core:   c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe /C start /affinity 2 D:\Games\World_of_Tanks_closed_Beta\WorldOfTanks.exe
And what about x6 proccessors?

View PostSiberianExpress, on 20 December 2010 - 07:25 PM, said:

I heard it mention before that the devs are reserving the second core for future developments. :)
So using one core at the moment is a conscious decision.
IMHO stupid explonation. Why ignore users with x4 and x6 CPUs?

Sbubar #19 Posted 21 December 2010 - 12:50 PM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 23780 battles
  • [SIEMA] SIEMA

View PostST61, on 21 December 2010 - 09:37 AM, said:

And what about x6 proccessors?

Can't test it to be sure but this should be the correct hexadecimal value for the affinity.
c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe /C start /affinity 3E D:\Games\World_of_Tanks_closed_Beta\WorldOfTanks.exe

Anyway, you can fiddle with the affinity settings in the .bat by changing the "/affinity X" part to select the cores which to use. Basically the value is binary translated into hexadecimal. E = 1110 for example, and 3E should be 0011 1110

X32Wright #20 Posted 22 December 2010 - 12:14 AM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
http://msdn.microsof...y/ms187104.aspx

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users