• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

Gaulwa #1 Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:22 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 5316 battles
  • [FROG] FROG
Greetings Commanders,

Today I bring you more goodies from the research department, the A39 Tortoise!
(The forum might distort the pictures. Click on the pictures to open them properly)

Spoiler                     

I gave you some modeller's goodies with measurements last time. Today I will do things a bit different and reveal armor analysis of the A39 Tortoise.

The Tortoise was a British tank destroyer design developed in World War II but never put into mass production. It was developed for the task of clearing heavily fortified areas and as a result favoured armour protection over mobility.

Front armor:

Each little cross represent the armour value at this exact point. Of course, you have to take into consideration paint, rust or uneven surfaces can affect the result. All results are in millimetres unless specified otherwise.
Spoiler                     

As you can see, the armour is close to 9 inch thick (230+mm) around the gun, and you can add a gun mantle of 60-80mm, and a gun mask of up to 56mm. This is way over 300mm of steel in total, I pity the fool who  will try to auto-aim this tank from the front.

However, there is this cover at the front, only 60mm. What is it? I don't know. My guess would be this is a cover for the transmission. From the front, the angle (74°) make this plate a bit hard to not bounce, but if you manage to place yourself above the tortoise you might just penetrate this easily.
My guess would be this weakspot was planned on the prototype to easily access mechanical parts for development and study. It is unknown if this would have remained on a serial vehicle.
Middle front part is 170mm of armor with 30° angle. This is close to 200mm of effective armor.

Side armor is a homogeneous 152mm.

The rear, however, is fairly interesting:
Spoiler                     

Left side of the tank (right on the picture) is fairly conventional, with an access (in orange) most probably for oil gauge or something similar.
The right side of the tank is what appear to be an unarmored compartment. Real armor is all around the engine block, and is asymetrical.
Rear-right compartment is probably just a toolbox.

The commander cupola is probably one of the only real weakspot for this tank as even the tank rear is fully armored with 100mm of steel:
Spoiler                     

More pictures for all of you:
http://imgur.com/a/dHEWS#0

WARNING: some values might change in-game due to technical reason or balance purpose.

niick #2 Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:24 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 23855 battles
Cool stuff, thanks  :smile:

Ry0ken #3 Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:25 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 12168 battles
Looks very massive... and probably is. Is it just me or are some pictures kinda stretched or crammed?

Dead3yez #4 Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:00 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Clan Commander
  • 29046 battles

View PostRy0ken, on 29 March 2013 - 07:25 PM, said:

Looks very massive... and probably is. Is it just me or are some pictures kinda stretched or crammed?

The pictures are out of perspective when embedded into the forum, yeah. You have to open them in a new tab. Smaller preview pictures with links to the full ones would be better, but whatever, just right-click and open them in a new tab. :P

Ry0ken #5 Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:02 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 12168 battles

View PostDead3yez, on 29 March 2013 - 09:00 PM, said:

The pictures are out of perspective when embedded into the forum, yeah. You have to open them in a new tab. Smaller preview pictures with links to the full ones would be better, but whatever, just right-click and open them in a new tab. :P
check!

AllanKieffer #6 Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:27 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Community Contributor
  • 16483 battles
This tank has a nice appeal combined to a massive look. What an impressive beast ! :blinky:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users