Release: Replay Companion (play replays from v0.7.2 - v0.8.8)

replay compatibility download player client version downgrade

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

DaDummy #1 Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:15 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 2610 battles

POPULAR

Hello everybody,
Inspired by the various attempts to tackle this omnipresent problem of having old World of Tanks replays floating around and no client able to play them I found myself driven to make my own attempt to create a workaround.
I've been previously involved in the development of quite a couple of community made tools intended to make one's everyday gamer life a little bit easier. I've been working on this for a while now and the point where I am going to need support from other gamers to provide intel and feedback is closing in.
Alpha 5 is now available! Supported WoT-Replay versions: 0.7.2 - 0.8.8. Get it now
Posted Image
Setup
  • Download the package: wotrep.zip
  • Extract it into an empty folder (eg. C:\games\WotReplayCompanion)
  • Run update.exe to make it download the rest
  • Select any replay you want to watch
  • The Replay Companion automatically sets up the appropriate player instance (takes a little while but only happens once for every WoT-version)
  • Click 'play' to launch the selected replay
Everyday use
  • Launch wotrep_ui.exe
  • Select any replay you want to watch
  • The Replay Companion will automatically detect the WoT-version that was used to record that replay
  • If an instance for the replay's version was already set up the replay will be launched instantly
    If not the instance will be created now - this takes a little while - and you can launch the replay afterwards by clicking on the 'play'-button
You can configure windows to automatically open *.wotreplay files with wotrep_ui.exe
Changelog
2013-09-29: Alpha 5
  • added support for WoT versions 0.8.6-0.8.8
  • fixed an issue where double clicking a replay could leave you stuck at the login-screen
2013-07-05: ugly alpha 4
  • added support for WoT version 0.8.5
2013-04-24: ugly alpha 3
  • fixed support for WoT versions 0.7.5-0.7.2 - downgrades are now applied correctly
2013-04-22: ugly alpha 2
  • added support for WoT versions 0.7.5-0.7.2
  • decreased size of new instances and downgrade patches a little bit
2013-04-12: ugly alpha 1
  • initial release
So what is this Replay Companion?
The Replay Companion is a tool that is meant to become your favorite WoT-replay player or at least your second choice after your actual game client you use to record those memorable moments.
It will come with a almost full copy of the most recent game version and will download and apply downgrade-patches to older versions for it when you ask it to play older replays.
So far no big magic involved so what's the big deal?
First off I am going to gather some more intel on what files really need to be downgraded to reduce the size of the downgrade patches. (wip)
Secondly I am going to make the tool aware of the pkg-format used in the recent versions of WoT so it operates on their actual contents instead of treating them as the heavy files they are. This provides the opportunity to be far more selective on what contents of those files got changed and need to be downgraded and what contents are just noise that accidentally changed during updates or is irrelevant for replay playback. Due to the reason that the tool is disconnected from the official patcher/launcher there is no need to stay compatible on a binary level here.
Last but not least this tool is meant to detect the WoT version that was used to record that replay and automatically take all necessary measures to make it play, thus taking that hassle from you. (done)
Upon release the Replay Companion will still be far from finished and great improvements will be observable over time as it slowly matures.
Also there are other neat features that I've been wondering if they'd make sense...
Maybe implementing some sort of replay-library UI where replays can be sorted and searched by the battle details similar to what current replay-library websites currently offer. Maybe even some level of integration with such sites for automatic replay upload/download/playback and maybe (this one is marked with a particularly large *maybe*) some automation for launching a replay and recording a video file ready for upload.

Edited by DaDummy, 29 September 2013 - 06:30 AM.

vorlontank #2 Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:20 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 15912 battles
  • [SGTA] SGTA
good job, really needs doing. why WG give the oppertunity to have replays and then make them unplayable with every patch is beyond me

DaDummy #3 Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:56 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 2610 battles
A first ugly alpha of Wot Replay Companion has been released.

First post updated.

Joat #4 Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:28 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 6109 battles
Great work! It's sorely needed. I currently have all versions of WoT in a folder so I can use my old replays.

How much disk does the current version use?

DaDummy #5 Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:18 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 2610 battles

View PostJoat, on 12 April 2013 - 06:28 PM, said:

Great work! It's sorely needed. I currently have all versions of WoT in a folder so I can use my old replays.

How much disk does the current version use?
Ah yes that's what I wanted to put into the release notes and then totally forgot.

If you have all WoT-versions you need in separate folders and care about the amount of disk space used I'd suggest you to keep using those folders for now. A "import" feature for already present WoT-folders is planned but not implemented yet.

Right now disk usage is as follows:
  • 8.5gb for the basic install that does not play any replays yet (thats the base-package where all instances get derived from)
  • between 7.5gb and 8.5gb for every instance (including a 0.8.4 one if you intend to play 0.8.4 replays using this tool)
  • about 1gb for a downgrade cache
Since I have limited resources for hosting this thing my main concern besides improving the downgrade-performance currently is reducing traffic over reducing the overall disk usage.

nafnist #6 Posted 13 April 2013 - 12:21 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 10462 battles
  • [NAF] NAF
wow impressive

good job

pokapokami #7 Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:08 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 25152 battles
  • [3VS27] 3VS27
Impressive job man! +1
Thought I will let you know that WG is planning in 0.8.6 or 0.8.7 change whole replay system. What they want to do is to store every game replay on their servers, they won't provide those .wotreplay files on our discs anymore.. All replays we'll be recording and playing client wise.

DaDummy #8 Posted 14 April 2013 - 03:05 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 2610 battles

View Postpokapokami, on 14 April 2013 - 02:08 PM, said:

Impressive job man! +1
Thought I will let you know that WG is planning in 0.8.6 or 0.8.7 change whole replay system. What they want to do is to store every game replay on their servers, they won't provide those .wotreplay files on our discs anymore.. All replays we'll be recording and playing client wise.
Thank you.

I heard about this rumor aswell and must admit I don't care... They most likely won't make the new "cloud replay" system play the old replays from 0.7.x and 0.8.x so this tool will still serve it's purpose.

I just really really hope for WG that they know what they're doing there... and that they eventually found a way to keep replays from different client versions playable in that new system. And that they got enough disk space to store every replay made from that point ever...
If they lock me out from my replays, make it more difficult to share them with friends and then start deleting them themselves I'll get quite mad... and most likely it won't be just me who gets mad then...

A "cloud replays" can be an awesome feature, but it needs careful consideration and a lot of communication with the community prior to any work in that direction... Ahhh the heck.
I won't go into detail on this. Let's just say I'll soon support all older client versions that were able to record replays and I'll add all new clients that do so, too. Should local replays vanish, this tool will still be there to keep our memorable moments of the past watchable. :smiles:

Edited by DaDummy, 14 April 2013 - 03:09 PM.

SirLunzelot #9 Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:48 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 8908 battles
Waiting patiently for a running client version 7.5. Or does anybody has a link to a full client? A patch from 7.4 would be awesome too... :smile:

Any plans for the support of this version with the tool?

DaDummy #10 Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:51 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 2610 battles
Update 2013-04-22: ugly alpha 2
  • added support for WoT versions 0.7.5-0.7.2
  • decreased size of new instances and downgrade patches a little bit

Edit:

View PostSirLunzelot, on 22 April 2013 - 05:48 PM, said:

Waiting patiently for a running client version 7.5. Or does anybody has a link to a full client? A patch from 7.4 would be awesome too...
Any plans for the support of this version with the tool?
Apparently you just ninja'd my release announcement for added support for exactly these versions ;)

Edited by DaDummy, 22 April 2013 - 07:19 PM.

SirLunzelot #11 Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:30 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 8908 battles
"ninja'd" yeah, that was really a nice coincidence ;). Happy to hear that the older versions are "supported" now :). I'm downloading the stuff...checking this evening with my 0.7.5 files. Thanks for your work! :)

DaDummy #12 Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:12 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 2610 battles
I fear you will be disappointed. Due to limited resources I wasn't able to thoroughly test everything and due to some file corruption patching to the added versions is currently broken

SirLunzelot #13 Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:47 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 8908 battles
Did you test replays from client version 0.7.5? It's the only full client I did not find to download... I will see late in the evening if it works. :)

Edit:
You were right, I got an error with my replays. Do you need any debug info you can work with? Or the replays itself?

Edited by SirLunzelot, 24 April 2013 - 10:26 AM.

DaDummy #14 Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:14 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 2610 battles

View PostSirLunzelot, on 23 April 2013 - 02:47 PM, said:

Did you test replays from client version 0.7.5? It's the only full client I did not find to download... I will see late in the evening if it works. :)

Edit:
You were right, I got an error with my replays. Do you need any debug info you can work with? Or the replays itself?

I just needed to find some spare time besides currently attending a developer's converence in Berlin... the issue should be resolved now.

Update 2013-04-24: ugly alpha 3
  • fixed support for WoT versions 0.7.5-0.7.2 - downgrades are now applied correctly

SirLunzelot #15 Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:22 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 8908 battles
Awesome, it works with my good old replays :). Thank you so much.

Btw. are you from germany or are you just attending the conference there?

DaDummy #16 Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:43 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 2610 battles

View PostSirLunzelot, on 24 April 2013 - 02:22 PM, said:

Awesome, it works with my good old replays :). Thank you so much.

Btw. are you from germany or are you just attending the conference there?

You're welcome :)

Yes I am from Germany x)

SirLunzelot #17 Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:08 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 8908 battles
Na dann schöne Grüße aus HH nach Berlin :).

darkplay83 #18 Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:40 PM

Private

• Player
  • 2326 battles
a friend who is on an american server has issues with the program. this is what he told me so far

it just loads the replay then gets stuck on the login screen for some reason saying that its 'connecting'

DaDummy #19 Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:19 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 2610 battles
Humm making the other region's replays work shouldn't be a big issue... if you could provide me with some sample replays from the US client this would be very helpful :)

Hopefully I won't have to download all US clients aswell... my HDD is slowly reaching its limits...

darkplay83 #20 Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:03 AM

Private

• Player
  • 2326 battles
aparently it worked fine till todays update. sending you his mail on PM.

Also tagged with replay, compatibility, download, player, client, version, downgrade

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users