Jump to content


Insults and abuse


  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
150 replies to this topic

JosipBr0zTito #141 Posted 23 April 2013 - 04:04 PM

    Sergeant

  • Player
  • 13072 battles
  • 231
  • Member since:
    05-15-2011

View Postpsge, on 23 April 2013 - 03:32 PM, said:

Where do I start, I don't think I'll bother I don't have time.  But if your only defence is that they can 'ignore me' if you don't want to hear my abuse then I then where does it stop.  If you continually try to alter people's behaviour by insulting them then you're a bully.  What else would you call them?  Just because it may be a succession of different people doesn't make you less of a bully.

You need to read the whole article you quoted.  What you're advocating is that it is alright to abuse someone.  Then the next game it's ok for someone else to abuse them, and then the next etc. You're advocating a culture of bullying.

Simples

Hard to grasp I guess. If you block them they have no way of contacting you, so it stops there.

I would call them a-holes, not bullies.

I'm advocating a culture of free speech.

Again you go with using these strong words. No one is abusing you. You are just overly sensitive and see bullying every where, event though you clearly don't know the meaning of the word. Well you do now but you are being wilfully ignorant.

Quote

You can still bully people without knowing it

This was the point where you lost it. Political correctness gone mad? Yeah and then shot itself in the head.

psge #142 Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:32 PM

    Lance-corporal

  • Player
  • 14346 battles
  • 53
  • [B5TRD] B5TRD
  • Member since:
    02-17-2013

View PostJosipBr0zTito, on 23 April 2013 - 04:04 PM, said:

Hard to grasp I guess. If you block them they have no way of contacting you, so it stops there.

I would call them a-holes, not bullies.

I'm advocating a culture of free speech.

Again you go with using these strong words. No one is abusing you. You are just overly sensitive and see bullying every where, event though you clearly don't know the meaning of the word. Well you do now but you are being wilfully ignorant.



This was the point where you lost it. Political correctness gone mad? Yeah and then shot itself in the head.

Free speech never means you can abuse or insult someone for the fun of it.  You seem to think bullies get up in the morning and think they will do some bullying today.  In a lot of cases people aren't even aware of the impact their behaviour is having on others.  When they realise they stop.

You seem, I can't quiet tell seem to be advocating a system where you can make people upset or miserable just so someone else can have fun.  It's not me being miserable nor political correctness gone made.

To be clear we're not talking about chat messages that seek to provide direction even if they don't do it in the nicest of ways.  We are talking about message that seek just to cause offence and hurt.  So you think it is ok to tell someone you think they should get cancer?  An extreme I know but an example I have already stated that you have yet to say is not ok.

The problem with bullying is that people often don't realise, that's the point.  Quite often they thinks it's harmless fun, unless you are on the receiving end of course and then it's hell.  Personally as soon as I see someone use the 'noob' word all their comments are ignored as inarticulate rubbish.  It gets any strong, whoever it is directed at then I report.  If nothing else it's counter productive.  If you have lost a battle go onto the next.  If you genuinely want them to learn something abusing them isn't the way.  When did you last learn anything that way?

JosipBr0zTito #143 Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:01 PM

    Sergeant

  • Player
  • 13072 battles
  • 231
  • Member since:
    05-15-2011

View Postpsge, on 23 April 2013 - 06:32 PM, said:

Free speech never means you can abuse or insult someone for the fun of it.  You seem to think bullies get up in the morning and think they will do some bullying today.  In a lot of cases people aren't even aware of the impact their behaviour is having on others.  When they realise they stop.

You seem, I can't quiet tell seem to be advocating a system where you can make people upset or miserable just so someone else can have fun.  It's not me being miserable nor political correctness gone made.

To be clear we're not talking about chat messages that seek to provide direction even if they don't do it in the nicest of ways.  We are talking about message that seek just to cause offence and hurt.  So you think it is ok to tell someone you think they should get cancer?  An extreme I know but an example I have already stated that you have yet to say is not ok.

The problem with bullying is that people often don't realise, that's the point.  Quite often they thinks it's harmless fun, unless you are on the receiving end of course and then it's hell.  Personally as soon as I see someone use the 'noob' word all their comments are ignored as inarticulate rubbish.  It gets any strong, whoever it is directed at then I report.  If nothing else it's counter productive.  If you have lost a battle go onto the next.  If you genuinely want them to learn something abusing them isn't the way.  When did you last learn anything that way?

Again with the abuse part. None is being abuse so stop using the word. But insulting some one is actually the whole point of having free speech. Why even have free speech if no one gets insulted? If no one got insulted we wouldn't need laws protecting speech.

You are again frivolously adding exemptions to what constitutes bullying. A bully wants power over some one, you cant have that and not be aware of it. If some one is hurting some one without knowing it he cant be a bully.

No I don't see a problem with any offensive speech on the internet considering you can block or ignore them. It ends with that. In real life its constant harassment that you cant ignore or block, so stop comparing real bullies with some internet a-hole, because you are making a mockery of actual victims of bullying. If you don't know how you are making a mockery. You are compeering them to an over-sensitive baby that cant even find the block button. Give a bullied kid in school a block button and he wont have a bully problem.

No, the whole point of bullying is that they do realise it. That's their agenda, to make their victim suffer day after day.

psge #144 Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:15 PM

    Lance-corporal

  • Player
  • 14346 battles
  • 53
  • [B5TRD] B5TRD
  • Member since:
    02-17-2013
The title of this thread is "Insults and Abuse", therefore the use of the word abuse is entirely valid.

This is a game that anyone can play.  Just because it's on the internet does not mean normal societal rules don't apply.  No one should have to do anything to avoid being insulted or abused.  Rather those that seek to insult and abuse should modify their behaviour.

As for the intending to be a bully, unfortunately you're just wrong.  Again you should reread the article you quoted yourself (all of it).  Just because someone doesn't see themselves as a bully it doesn't mean they aren't one.

I'm not being overly sensitive, at no time have I called anyone anything, just labelled certain behaviour.  Nor have I complained about being bullied.  Perhaps you could keep your arguments as focus and non-personal.  Up to you though  :smile:

BravelyRanAway #145 Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:31 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Beta Tester
  • 23785 battles
  • 11,197
  • [H_I_T] H_I_T
  • Member since:
    12-29-2010

View Postpsge, on 23 April 2013 - 06:32 PM, said:

Free speech never means you can abuse or insult someone for the fun of it.
It is pointless to dicuss 'free speech' on a private forum or in a game run by a private company who set their own rules about behavior ingame.

View PostJosipBr0zTito, on 23 April 2013 - 03:20 PM, said:

Bullying occurs when a person is exposed, repeatedly and over time, to negative actions on the part of one or more other persons.
Take one person and have 100(or pick a number) people insult them in turn just once, does this not constitute bullying by a community.(just saying)
So.....you could also use bold lettering on...'part of one or more other persons'. I find people take notice only of things that enforce their own viewpoint and ignore anything else.

Yes, you can advocate 'Freedom Of Speech' on the net, and you can go and do it........but this is not the general net, it is private and rules are set.

For you perusal...
http://forum.worldof...nks-game-rules/

and...

http://forum.worldof...24-forum-rules/

In case your wondering, I rarely get insults in game and the few I have gotten I just ignore as they are usually by some dead general who died doing something stupid.
I have no one on my ignore list as the chances of meeting the same person are remote, I have also never insulted anyone in game, I don't see the point.

Some say that a person shouldn't get upset over some anonymous person on the internet being insulting.
Yet there are studies to say that many do and they actually take it to heart, you only have to look at a topic descend into a flamefest as people get 'bent out of shape' to see this.......including those who say "don't be upset by strangers on the net". :teethhappy:

And please stop banging on about 'Free Speech' all the time, your in the wrong game and on the wrong forum for that.

JosipBr0zTito #146 Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:53 PM

    Sergeant

  • Player
  • 13072 battles
  • 231
  • Member since:
    05-15-2011

View Postpsge, on 23 April 2013 - 07:15 PM, said:

The title of this thread is "Insults and Abuse", therefore the use of the word abuse is entirely valid.

This is a game that anyone can play.  Just because it's on the internet does not mean normal societal rules don't apply.  No one should have to do anything to avoid being insulted or abused.  Rather those that seek to insult and abuse should modify their behaviour.

As for the intending to be a bully, unfortunately you're just wrong.  Again you should reread the article you quoted yourself (all of it).  Just because someone doesn't see themselves as a bully it doesn't mean they aren't one.

I'm not being overly sensitive, at no time have I called anyone anything, just labelled certain behaviour.  Nor have I complained about being bullied.  Perhaps you could keep your arguments as focus and non-personal.  Up to you though  :smile:

Because the title contains the word abuse the use of it is valid? This must be a joke.

Yes they should do something to avoid it. Especially if its in their power to do so. Just because you find some one one the internet insulting doesn't mean they should modify their behaviour.

I never said they do realise they are a bully, but they do realise that what they are doing is hurting some one.

It was never meant to be personal so I have no idea why you took it as such.

@Leadbucket

The part about free speech was aimed at him and not WG. I don't care what WG does its their game and their forum.

Bullying is a long term torment not a one time thing, so no I didn't ignore that par of the quote

Edited by JosipBr0zTito, 23 April 2013 - 07:59 PM.


psge #147 Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:54 PM

    Lance-corporal

  • Player
  • 14346 battles
  • 53
  • [B5TRD] B5TRD
  • Member since:
    02-17-2013

View PostJosipBr0zTito, on 23 April 2013 - 07:53 PM, said:

Because the title contains the word abuse the use of it is valid? This must be a joke.



Interesting, you don't like the subject of the thread so you dismiss it?  Why are you commenting in a thread that you don't like?  You must have better things to do. You do don't you?

Football or WoT? Decisions  :smile:  :glasses:

JosipBr0zTito #148 Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:18 PM

    Sergeant

  • Player
  • 13072 battles
  • 231
  • Member since:
    05-15-2011
It has nothing to do with me not liking the word or the thread. I just don't like it being frivolously thrown around.

Considering that was the only quote you grasped on to I think we are done. :great:

Not big into sports. But if you like it then that's fine I guess.

UsuallyAdo #149 Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:22 AM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 26007 battles
  • 123
  • Member since:
    12-09-2012

View PostJosipBr0zTito, on 23 April 2013 - 08:31 AM, said:

There is no bullying on the internet (unless you are getting repeatedly targeted by a person or a group and even then they would have to resort to hacking)  considering that you can just ignore it.

Omg! :-(

UsuallyAdo #150 Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:32 AM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 26007 battles
  • 123
  • Member since:
    12-09-2012

View PostJosipBr0zTito, on 23 April 2013 - 07:01 PM, said:

Again with the abuse part. None is being abuse so stop using the word. But insulting some one is actually the whole point of having free speech. Why even have free speech if no one gets insulted? If no one got insulted we wouldn't need laws protecting speech.

You are again frivolously adding exemptions to what constitutes bullying. A bully wants power over some one, you cant have that and not be aware of it. If some one is hurting some one without knowing it he cant be a bully.

No I don't see a problem with any offensive speech on the internet considering you can block or ignore them. It ends with that. In real life its constant harassment that you cant ignore or block, so stop comparing real bullies with some internet a-hole, because you are making a mockery of actual victims of bullying. If you don't know how you are making a mockery. You are compeering them to an over-sensitive baby that cant even find the block button. Give a bullied kid in school a block button and he wont have a bully problem.

No, the whole point of bullying is that they do realise it. That's their agenda, to make their victim suffer day after day.

Wow, you are really showing yourself up and you cannot even see it.  Probably in the same way you cannot see that you advocate bullying.

SgtBarnes75 #151 Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:36 AM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 13014 battles
  • 400
  • Member since:
    11-30-2012

View PostSgt_Guffy, on 22 April 2013 - 01:33 PM, said:

This way of thinking is flawed.

Does a General need to be a swordmaster, or a sharpshooter to be a good General? Whilst it is beneficial be both a good shot and a good tactician, the lack of one or the other doesn't mean they are a bad player. A good tactician may look at the deployment  and decide, based on it, where the best place is to be on the map. Another player may not look at the "big picture"  but maybe adept at situational awareness and be able to react quickly to the situation they find themselves in. This is why players have differing abilities, one say a good scout, another a good sniper.

So a player who is a good shot, does not necessarily have a good plan!  Consequently "stat's" are not always a reliable way to determine a players judgement of a situation. That is why, particularly in randoms, it is better to place faith in your own judgement and be pleasantly surprised if someone elses plan works!

Have fun.  :smiles:

Hi Guffy
Good point but unfortunately flawed, as thats not how the stats work. Number of kills is largely irrelevant as this game is not a death match, Its based on mainly damage dealt then in no particular order: positioning (eg cap or defense average),  kills to death ratio, how reds detected, draws plus general experience points gained based on even more parameters, even how far you have driven. Stats if read correctly will give a fairly accurate impression of a player in all aspects of the battle.
If read correctly you can tell straight away if you tend to camp or suicide, hit a lot or just spam shots. Even if you play mainly scouts or arty without looking at your garage list and battle count on each tank because of the behavior in the stats. So if you are a bit of a "Tiberius"  but a crap shot or are just a bloody good brawler with little tactical knowledge all will show up on your stats in a positive way, which will in turn make for a better battle for you team and by definition lead to a better win rate overall. This is why although you may get top number of kills in a match you will not get top ranking. Eg: in a scout you may not even fire a shot and get top EXP. Kills are nice but no indicator of skill.
Perhaps the lack of understanding of the stats is what causes so many to poo poo them. At the end of the day you can only do your best at the time, but you can use your stats to see your weaknesses to see where to improve. Also lots of helpful people on the site will happily read yours for you (if like me you are crap at overall interpretation etc) and give very good advice on areas to improve on.

Have fun
Mark

Edited by SgtBarnes75, 24 April 2013 - 10:41 AM.





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users