A letter to my friends in the WoT-community

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

del500780009 #1 Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:41 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 1 battle
Hello all!  :smile:

I've been an active member of this forum for a year and a half, almost two years now. I don't know how many hours I have sunk into this, but between my 1100 or so posts I guess there are some. Unfortunately, I have eperienced way too often that those threads I have spent most time with, trying to contribute for the benefit of the WoT-community, are being removed from the face of the earth. One day I spend 3-4 hours on a really good debate with my fellow forumers (usually constructive threads, as I don't care much for those spam/grief-threads), the next day the thread has disappeared into thin air. Apparently they have been moved to an obscure junkyard no one can see except those who have gotten a direct link to it from a moderator. It's really demotivating spending hours upon hours trying to be an acive community builder just to see it flushed down the drain without any warning. It should be noted that I have not received any warnings for breaching any forum rules from a moderator during these two years, so it can't be me spamming the thread to oblivion either.

So it happened again yesterday, and it really took the final drop of motivation for spending any more time here out of me. It's a shame, because I really enjoy those heated - but constructive - discussions we've had so many of "over the years".
:great:  

Thus, I have decided not to participate on the forums anymore. The risk of it all being whiped from existence is too big a risk for me to take as it stands now. I hope I have brought both joy and frustration among my fellow forumers, and that you will keep it up without me. I also hope I will be missed by some, and that it all hasn't gone by totally unnoticed. Before I leave, I'd like to direct a special thanks to some of my best friends and foes around here:

• Eight_Ball
  • jabster (Eddie Hitler 1)
  • Ioituma/loituma
  • LiannaSilverwind
  • Loofah
  • Orree
  • Private_Miros
  • sharpneli
  • Slyspy (Eddie Hitler 2)
  • war4peace
  • Zenith
  • + all other people I have had great discussions with, but whose name I can't remember off the top of my head.

Thank you guys, it's been fun!

I hope to see you in game though, I have no plans on quitting this game - only forum participation. :playing:

And, as a wise man once said: Stay loose, baby!
signed: RustyGalloway

Edited by RustyGalloway, 22 April 2013 - 09:51 AM.

Shaka_D #2 Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:45 AM

Colonel

• Beta Tester
  • 37657 battles
I love you man, no I mean it, I really love you man. You can't leave, we need the old boys / girls to stick around to add a little experience to the forums for the younglings, to guide them. Your voice of wisdom is needed here, have a rest, but don't be gone forever  :blinky:.

del500780009 #3 Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:49 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 1 battle

View Postjinx_uk, on 22 April 2013 - 09:45 AM, said:

I love you man, no I mean it, I really love you man. You can't leave, we need the old boys / girls to stick around to add a little experience to the forums for the younglings, to guide them. Your voice of wisdom is needed here, have a rest, but don't be gone forever  :blinky:.

Thanks man! I would of course like to thank you too (among several others not named in my list)! I hope you don't feel overlooked or anything, the list is of those I have had most "encounters" with. I do indeed remember you from several threads too. Again, thanks.

Edited by RustyGalloway, 22 April 2013 - 09:52 AM.

BravelyRanAway #4 Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:09 AM

General

• Beta Tester
  • 22455 battles
  • [H_I_T] H_I_T
Good luck RustyGalloway, if I see you in battle I'll post a screenie of you in the "members seen in battle" thread, just so your not forgotten......forever. :smile:

Edited by Leadbucket, 22 April 2013 - 11:07 AM.

Murphy1up #5 Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:19 AM

Lieutenant General

• Military Reserve
  • 11249 battles
  • [-QQ-] -QQ-
If a random user is flaming in a topic then yes, they should be moderated. Some topics however don't just get to stay because people are having a gold old debate if the topic is something against the forum rules.
Sometimes the OP asks for the topic to be closed, other times topics are doing little but cover old ground or it's a subject that certain people are bringing up again in the interest of causing a little internet drama.

Without knowing the exact thread that RustyGalloway is talking about I can't really go into this further. I'll be seeing what I can do now to find out which thread you're talking about. As a self confessed long term forum user you should know more than others that "goodbye" threads serve little purpose other that create a little drama and draw in trolls.

*edit*

Ok checking into this I can see that yesterday you posted this:

View PostRustyGalloway, on 21 April 2013 - 06:41 PM, said:

I think it's a bad move on Wargamings part to keep spam threads and remove threads with to the case discussions. Today there was a thread called "You opinion on arty (overpowered or not overpowered)" or something like that.It was one of the most constructive and healthy threads out there, yet it just disappeared in thin air. I think you should try to post some criteria as to what kind of threads you want on your forums and not. I'm getting quite sick of the one in hundred threads with an actual discussion gets removed, while the daily whine about arty, matchmaker or bashing of devs. stays.

We have a guideline about posting on the forums. It can be found here:
http://forum.worldof...24-forum-rules/
2.5 Off Topic, spamming and trolling
Users should make sure that they post your new threads and postings in the appropriate forum, and users are asked familiarize themselves with the forums. This helps other users and moderators maintain an overview and so be able to respond faster with an appropriate answer to questions. Before beginning a new thread, look to see if an active thread on that topic has already been established using the Search feature. If so, place your comments there instead. Keep discussions about one topic to one thread only.
Posts which drift off topic, or content-free posts will be edited or removed. Posting multiple messages with the same content across several forums is unwelcome and inappropriate, since such activities divide the targeted discussions and makes gathering feedback considerably more difficult. Such ‘cross posts’ will be merged, closed and redirected or removed. If so, place your comments there instead.

Say for example in 3 days we get 10 arty threads:
On average they go to about 3-4 pages.
At least 50% of the people who post in one of those threads, will post in all of them (arty players and arty haters)
This means that what looks like hot topics, is actually just the same people talking about over and over about the same thing.
This is then exactly why people avoid posting in the pinned thread - because you see the same people replying to you.  :smiles:

"I know there is a topic about this, but I want the attention on my topic"

The only way to prevent stuff like that is via moderation. Leaving multiple topics about the same issue open doesn't improve discussions. It dilutes them. People don't know where to post to make their voice heard when there is 5 topics active on the same thing.. So what do they do?... They make their own topic...And so the circle continues.

del500780009 #6 Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:44 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 1 battle

View PostEctar, on 22 April 2013 - 10:19 AM, said:

As a self confessed long term forum user you should know more than others that "goodbye" threads serve little purpose other that create a little drama and draw in trolls.

This thread serves two purposes only: To say goodbye to my good friends in the community, and to let them know why they suddenly don't see me around anymore. My post has a friendly goodbye component, and an informative component. Nothing more nothing less. "Create a little drama and draw in trolls" is not the purpose of such threads, but merely an unwanted bi-effect at worst.

If anyone is creating drama here, I'm afraid it's you. I didn't create this thread do discuss how or why threads are being moderated away. Now stop trolling my thread please! Let me have this one...  :sad:

EmperorSafirius #7 Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:53 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 21060 battles
Hello Rusty. I respect your decison of leaving the forums and all, and I hope what I will say next won't sound as too negative. But Ectar is right, and posting a "goodbye to my friends" topic in gameplay discussion just so your friends can see you are leaving, well that is not a good way to do. I would suggest you to just send private messaes to your friends. I'm ot saying that your post isn't ok. It's really well written.

DoubleTSC #8 Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:54 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 19913 battles

View PostEctar, on 22 April 2013 - 10:19 AM, said:

As a self confessed long term forum user you should know more than others that "goodbye" threads serve little purpose other that create a little drama and draw in trolls.
I can believe some people do it for drama: "I AM GOING AWAY, CRY NOW!", but it doesn't look like this is the case.
It's an honest "I had a good time, shame that some stuff didn't work, c y around".

edit: to respect wishes of the Rusty i deleted some discusion about moderation.

Edited by DoubleTSC, 22 April 2013 - 10:56 AM.

sharpneli #9 Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:59 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 19861 battles
  • [NAKKI] NAKKI
Take a break, you've deserved one.

See you around later when you've recuperated. :honoring:

As a sidenote I've also noticed quite many threads vanishing. It's kinda annoying as last time I was about to go to training room with one guy to test out something we had argued about and *puff* the thread just vanished effectively ending all the discussion right there.

I'd rather have the threads moved to somewhere out of sight so the discussion can continue without harassing other gameplay discussion browsers instead of just removing the whole thing.

Sgt_Guffy #10 Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:01 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 22880 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Well that's sad. I think anyone who takes the time to make a positive contribution to any thread, as well are starting them, is a valuable member of a forum. So Rusty, I hope you will change your mind.

Yes there are a lot of rinse and repeat threads, particularly relating to subjects like MM, which has been done to death and I have done the moderators job to direct them to the appropriate thread on that occasion.

I find the "one liners"annoying at times, because they are not really contributing much to any discussion, which is what a forum is all about. I just think that some contributors don't really know what a forum is for, despite WG's guidance. So, it does need contributors like you to educate them.

Rusty, I suggest you stay.  Cummon, you won't be able to resist commenting if there is a burning issue, now will you, admit it!  :blinky:

You could use personally message to ask why a moderator has done what they have done. I tried it once, but didn't get the courtesy of a reply. I guess it depends on the moderators, not all of them are necessarily good moderators.  But, you have to try.

Take heed of Uncle Guffy's plea. You know it makes sense.  :smiles:

rustysprite #11 Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:12 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 22014 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostRustyGalloway, on 22 April 2013 - 10:44 AM, said:

This thread serves two purposes only: To say goodbye to my good friends in the community, and to let them know why they suddenly don't see me around anymore. My post has a friendly goodbye component, and an informative component. Nothing more nothing less. "Create a little drama and draw in trolls" is not the purpose of such threads, but merely an unwanted bi-effect at worst.

If anyone is creating drama here, I'm afraid it's you. I didn't create this thread do discuss how or why threads are being moderated away. Now stop trolling my thread please! Let me have this one...  :sad:

Damn....I feel your pain!
But as, Guffy says "stay".....or at least have a break, then slide back in
Anyway, there are not enough Rusty's left in the world  :smile:

iVladyBoss #12 Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:19 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 19388 battles
  • [ROLS] ROLS
I don't know you, I didn't see you ever, but GOOD LUCK in forward :honoring:   ! You are totally right in what are you saying.. Friendly GOODBYE ! :smile:
Maybe I'll see you in-game , hiding in the bushes :bush:

dUG1 #13 Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:35 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 29873 battles
Well, we had a few "clashes" on forum, but overall, you are a fine example of good, constructive (most of the time   :tongue:  ) and literate forum dweller, a rare sight these days.

Unfortunately, incompetence shown by WoT forum moderators is astonishing, and at the same time, being ignored by forum administrators, so I feel your pain.
It˙s as if they want most of the old-school players gone, because unlike new ones, we ask questions, give out suggestions and try to contribute to the forum and game itself.

A bit of offtopic/trolling/having a laugh here and there, but so what? This is not a political party forum, or some tea party for old spinsters - its a living and evolving online forum, or at least it should be.
After all, any online game with dead-community is on a sure path of dying out slowly (yeah, I know mindless zombies registering in huge numbers will elevate that, for now).

Anyway, dont want this to look like a rant - sorry to see you go and hope to see you ingame sometimes  :honoring:

@Ectar: now you see what I was talking about in that PM weeks ago.
Your colleague He_who_never_replies_to_PM doesnt care, while banhammer without reason or logic is a common sight around here.
Maybe it would be a good time to have a word with him and rest of the moderators about it?

custardSPARTA #14 Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:51 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 39003 battles
  • [SPRT] SPRT
@ Ectar - The annoying I must have my own thread thing, why can't you merge these threads instead of deleting them?

@OP -  Good luck dude

Murphy1up #15 Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:05 PM

Lieutenant General

• Military Reserve
  • 11249 battles
  • [-QQ-] -QQ-

View PostRustyGalloway, on 22 April 2013 - 10:44 AM, said:

I wasn't trolling your thread sir, I actually answered your question directly after investigating your issue. The thread you were posting in over the weekend was closed when I wasn't in the office. I was trying to help.

View PostRustyGalloway, on 21 April 2013 - 06:41 PM, said:

I think you should try to post some criteria as to what kind of threads you want on your forums and not.

I was showing you where that information is located on the forums.

How we deal with hot topics will never be good enough in most player's eyes because they expect action to be immediate or expect that every request is met with a reply or acknowledgement. Sadly due to the sheer volume of posts created daily that's never going to happen. I'm sorry that you feel you no longer wish to be involved in the forums.

He_from_Norway_ #16 Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:38 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 23858 battles
@Ectar

Well, you should be quite happy your forum aint spammed with "goodbye" topics, because that would be, and might even happen in the futre, as most of the things WG do (no neccecerly worng) annoys people and games like this lasts long, yes, but edventiualy dies :/

and your forum being spammed is better then a forum not being used, eh? :P

and there is a limit how long people wanna look for an new thread, as it is a little akward to restart an old thread.

just my 2 cent :)

HarryStotle #17 Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:47 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 22650 battles
Cya Rusty,

Pretty much done the same myself but without the drama thread  :trollface:  (You know i can't help myself)

Between the ludicrous moderation, nasty brainless trolling, and sheer stupidity of some forumites, there isn't much reason to hang around anymore  :confused:

Hope to see you in game sometime and thanks for your previous efforts

Arkhell #18 Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:16 PM

Lieutenant General

• Beta Tester
  • 16942 battles
always sad to see another forum trawler go.

well best of luck to you mate :honoring:

Richthoffen #19 Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:27 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 27001 battles
goodbye, hope you change your mind someday.
@ Ectar modderating is one thing....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users