Leopard PTA

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
501 replies to this topic

_gagei_ #1 Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:43 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 0 battles
Hi all,

in real life the Leopard was one of the best tanks world wide, in WOT its the most worst tank.
This Leopard PTA, what should i say, its the worst tank i've ever played. A T50-2 penetrates the Armor from a 100m distance at every side-looooooooooooool.
As stock tank u are only a casualty. This tank is slow, have a paper thin armor on every side and the complete turret and the most useless gun in the game.
The next thing is, u need so many xp to upgrade it. This tank makes no fun. If u meet a t54, an E50 a Patton46 or a Lorraine, u loose the direct fight at every time. This tank is a bad T7 tank, not more. I'm such an idiot to waste my time and xp with this useless thing.

Br _gagei_

Edited by _gagei_, 27 April 2013 - 10:16 AM.

Xmasbeer #2 Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:46 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Protip: Most tier 9 tanks are the biggest pain to play when stock. The most infamous example was the tier 9 T34 before it got changed into a premium, but you still have the stock t-54 with a 175mm gun and weak turret, you have Conqueror with 20pndr that has pathetic alpha damage, you have the M103 with a 105mm gun that is used on T29 (two tiers below it), and let's not forget the Lorraine with 90mm gun that has 170pen.

My point is tier 9 tanks are probably the worst pain to grind as stock of all tank tiers out there. This is where wargaming cashes in your gold that you use to convert to free exp.

The only thing I can recommend is to use free exp on modules only instead of using it to skip tanks (Am I assuming correctly that you skipped indien panzer entirely?)

Usynlig #3 Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:13 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 0 battles
Elite the PTA, drop the L7 105mm gun and use the 90mm.

ChielScape #4 Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:20 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
"use the 90mm gun"
no. Just no.

Usynlig #5 Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:34 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 0 battles

View PostChielScape, on 27 April 2013 - 10:20 AM, said:

"use the 90mm gun"
no. Just no.
Im sorry, are you a real Leopard expert? No? Have you tried the Leo PTA with the 90mm? No? Have you tried the Leopard 1? No? Whats your facts based on?
I was only giving advices on how to be able to play the PTA. The 90mm gun is not bad, no need to negrep someone only because you disagree with someone and don't even make a reason.

Edited by Usynlig, 27 April 2013 - 10:37 AM.

Superbigel #6 Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:22 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles

View PostUsynlig, on 27 April 2013 - 10:13 AM, said:

Elite the PTA, drop the L7 105mm gun and use the 90mm.

Man speaks truth!!

View PostChielScape, on 27 April 2013 - 10:20 AM, said:

"use the 90mm gun"
no. Just no.

Uhm YES. Better DPM & rof. Because if you use your brain you can literally track to death every tank in the game. I can 1vs1 every tank while im equipped with the 9cm gun. And you know why?

You shoot me once, i shoot your track. You repair, you shoot me again, i track you again and say goodbye my friend. Because i will take advantage over PTA mobility and track+dmg you to death. And thats the worse case scenario. I could simply flank a clueless target and do that without even taking damage.Worked great on test server. Especially against tanks with low turret traverse speed.

Edited by Superbigel, 27 April 2013 - 01:25 PM.

Winter #7 Posted 27 April 2013 - 02:49 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Guess it depends on your playstyle, if you like to use the gun depression to pop out and take a shot you might prefer higher alfa while the other gun might be better for flanking. Though I only tried it out a few games on the test server so it'll be a while before I can give a properly informed answer.

I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me about the aim time/accuracy on the 9cm if I mouse over on both indien and PTA it says 2.9/.34, does that gun get the better aim time/acc on the top turret of the PTA?

Usynlig #8 Posted 27 April 2013 - 03:03 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 0 battles

View PostWinter, on 27 April 2013 - 02:49 PM, said:

Guess it depends on your playstyle, if you like to use the gun depression to pop out and take a shot you might prefer higher alfa while the other gun might be better for flanking. Though I only tried it out a few games on the test server so it'll be a while before I can give a properly informed answer.

I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me about the aim time/accuracy on the 9cm if I mouse over on both indien and PTA it says 2.9/.34, does that gun get the better aim time/acc on the top turret of the PTA?

The 90mm gets better RoF on the PTA than on the Indien.

Xmasbeer #9 Posted 27 April 2013 - 03:03 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
I did not try the PTA myself, not even on a testserver, but the heated debate on which gun to use reminds me of tanks like VK3002DB (called something new now, right?) where you have a choice between high ROF and high alpha not making the top gun the obvious choice.

What I am going to do and what I recommend is to not sell the 90mm when you get 105, but instead use them both for comparison. For example 10 battles in a row with each gun to get a feel for both of them.

Winter #10 Posted 27 April 2013 - 03:23 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View PostUsynlig, on 27 April 2013 - 03:03 PM, said:

The 90mm gets better RoF on the PTA than on the Indien.

I realise that, what I meant was the aim time/accuracy on the mouse overs are the same yet the gun stats say it can go down to 2.3/.32 and it's only compatible with those vehicles so I was wondering if that would be on the top turret of the PTA. (Mainly so once I get it I can take that into consideration as to which modules to research first)

Posted Image

Edited by Winter, 27 April 2013 - 03:25 PM.

Usynlig #11 Posted 27 April 2013 - 03:44 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 0 battles

View PostWinter, on 27 April 2013 - 03:23 PM, said:

I realise that, what I meant was the aim time/accuracy on the mouse overs are the same yet the gun stats say it can go down to 2.3/.32 and it's only compatible with those vehicles so I was wondering if that would be on the top turret of the PTA. (Mainly so once I get it I can take that into consideration as to which modules to research first)

Posted Image

The 90mm is stock gun, and the stock turret can both fit the 105 and the 90mm. But for which turret the aimtime and RoF "buff" is for idk.

_gagei_ #12 Posted 27 April 2013 - 05:09 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 0 battles

View PostUsynlig, on 27 April 2013 - 10:34 AM, said:

Im sorry, are you a real Leopard expert? No? Have you tried the Leo PTA with the 90mm? No? Have you tried the Leopard 1? No? Whats your facts based on?
I was only giving advices on how to be able to play the PTA. The 90mm gun is not bad, no need to negrep someone only because you disagree with someone and don't even make a reason.
What I mean is mainly the crappy armor. It's to much for me, that a t50-2 can penetrate this tank form a distance of 100m at every point. Try this with an E50 or Patton or T54 and so on. And this shit should be a T9 medium tank!?? It's only a joke for me.

Edited by _gagei_, 27 April 2013 - 05:11 PM.

Xmasbeer #13 Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:27 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Speaking of Leopard expert... I may be not one, but I was a loader on a Leopard 1A4 about 9 years ago. We were just getting the Leopard 2 from Belgium. I can confirm that Leopard 1 armor is crap. It was made during the time when everyone thought that HEAT would penetrate any armor anyway, so the focus was on range, optics and mobility. Anyway it was a wide consensus that Leopard 1 was a coffin on wheels during the day, during the night it had a fighting chance thanks to great optics.

So in a way, the armor bit in this game is in fact realistic, however the strengths of the Leopard 1 are neglected, since the there is a hardcoded view range.

Anyway I will have Leopard even if it turns out to be bad, just because I used to be a crewmember on one in real life.

Bizolol #14 Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:38 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles

View PostWinter, on 27 April 2013 - 03:23 PM, said:

Posted Image
on the top turret the 9cm gets 2.3 aim time  0.32 accuracy and 10 ROF compared to 2.9 aim time 0.34 and 8.57 ROF
Still i would use the 105 and play as a second line support(just like the caern but with better alpha and mobility)...the tank isnt suited for flanking since it cannot take any shot

Panocek #15 Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:42 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
ProtoLeo is tough nut to play, especially when not fully upgraded. For anyone grinding his way toward Leopard I'd suggest researching turret first, then gun (and mounting it - its light enough to carry rest of the stuff) and engine. Radio and tracks can be discarded unless you really want to elite tank.

About 9cm vs L7 - its matter of preference, I guess. Someone like to retrack things with high rof gun, I prefer to blast once and run, as this tank is not exactly suited for sustained DPM. Add to that great penetraion for regular rounds and 350mm HEAT, allowing you to not a dive a whack about toughest tanks around.

BTW, L7 + stock turret and engine is truly PITA to play

ChielScape #16 Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:19 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
Always go for penetration... really... You arent even supposed to get close to anything with the PT.A. The speed is just to position, reposition, and dodge the occasional arty shell in the off-chance you got spotted or during late-game cleanup.

unknwn #17 Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:45 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
My experiencie with this tank is very strange and something new. While stock it is epic shit even much worse than other T9, you have nothing usefull. It does't have any advantage to defend against any other tank without losing HP even then upgraded. You have bad aiming time, very low DPM(even with 9cm gun it is pretty low), no amor and usually you just can run away because most likely you will get shot from other sides unless you stay in base. And 9cm gun is worse in basically every way than centurion Mk. 7/1 has while the most important being aiming time for a vehicle without armor. M46 Patton is also weak armored but usually it can land 2 shots when other t9 will do 1. With Leo PTA is other way around while with 105mm gun. I prefer M46 patton gun with better gun depression in t9 games much more. The only way to defend yourself is to stay wayyy back. Hardcore camp mode should be on. Even the lowest tier tanks or scouts will go hunting you/rushing on you despite any other circumstances. Even if you are near armored teammates crazy tanks will jump on you even by risking to take many shots from my teammates just to hit Leo. When enemy tanks spots you they turn on no fear mode. Basically it's a free exp pinjata. Ever thought that that Tiger or M46 Patton are soft tanks and everyone tries to hit you? Leo PTA is a hardcore mode of that. Oh and every arty always tries to hit you even if it's one arty at enemy side. And every hit is fatal. I would say this tank is badly configured. Gun with very high pen, bad aiming time and very low DPM isn't suited on t9 medium with no armor.
However i think at least half of my bad experience is because of XVM users going hunting and Leo PTA makes it easy for them.

Edited by unknwn, 29 April 2013 - 09:58 AM.

lonigus #18 Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:42 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
Is sold it. Its beyond bad.

Terrible in every aspect.

lewisunderwood #19 Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:44 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
The Tank is nothing special, but actually, i like it ... no idea why.

Not so many battles so far, but some things i can suggest (which ofc apply to most medium tanks):
  • keep your distance, snipe --> win
  • don't brawl, you will get a bloody nose
  • don't go alone, there is nothing out there what you can ignore, as everything will (most likely) pen you
  • hilltops are not your friends, unlike a M46 or that british Tier IX med you lack gundepression, so better forget hilltops

Initially i hoped the Leo PT can replace some of my beloved Tier IX meds but each of them is still superior in some (ok, in many) aspects. e.g. E50 - actually has "some" armor and is the undisputed ram king; T54 - brawler of choice; M46 - hulldown/gun depression king;

So It's more an addition then a replacement for any IX. ... still fun to play, especially if you have a high damage roll  :trollface:

Khitan #20 Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:10 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
I play this tank on occasion and seem to enjoy it more than I should.....definitely not a replacement for any of the other tier 9 mediums by the look of it.