T20 First Impressions

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
173 replies to this topic

Jovisfulmina #101 Posted 03 May 2011 - 11:57 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 14905 battles
Yeah the gun is good and the speed too, but the tracks make me crazy. Even a bounce can destroy them, and it happens everytime. In what way can the speed be useful if we are always stopped ?  :angry:

Perzel #102 Posted 04 May 2011 - 06:58 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 17607 battles
Speed is usefull to reach strategic positions before the enemy does.

Sille #103 Posted 06 May 2011 - 05:37 PM

First Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 19372 battles
that depends on map and most maps dosent have any advantage like that(and the side u start on) and beside that speed is fairly useless.
The disadvantages of this tank makes it so boring, as an example today i fought a M7 whit it and he did 50% damage to me killed me gunner 2 times and took out my ammorack.. and my T20 is full uppgraded, if i was a T43 or a VK3002 DB i would have taken 0% damage in that fight...Just a thing like metting some low lvl tank whit a fast fireing gun is gonna damage this tank so much. and when u meet a target like a kv, IS or something u can just go and deliver ur prayers even more so if i has people behind him so u cant flank or do something like it. the tank isent agile enough to do a circle of doom anyway losses to much speed in turns.

Heinzi #104 Posted 09 May 2011 - 05:10 PM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 10547 battles
The ability to equip stabilizers makes US mediums work somewhat, when the stars align and only on certain maps.

The T20 got decent after fully upgrading + 1 million in mods and with a very good crew, now let's hope the new tier 8 Pershing keeps its 180 pen 90mm and we might have a fun tank at last.

L_G_Pool #105 Posted 09 May 2011 - 11:14 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 8393 battles
well I'm in my e8 and I'm liking it but really want the hard hitting t20

I like to relocate quickly ... to the flanks and snipe across the field ... I think the t20 will be great at this.

Rik

sparrow_ #106 Posted 12 May 2011 - 08:49 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 5604 battles
I love T20. Its like m7 with worse turning but much bigger gun and hp pool.

What equipment would you suggest? I am using vert stabilizer, rammer and repair tools, but I am considering buying gun laying drive... Whats better?

JTS #107 Posted 13 May 2011 - 07:38 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 12153 battles
  • [POP] POP

View PostSille, on 06 May 2011 - 05:37 PM, said:

that depends on map and most maps dosent have any advantage like that(and the side u start on) and beside that speed is fairly useless.

If you dont know what to do with the speed perhaps you should play a heavy tank. Ability to change flanks is a great advantage, its a shame most people dont use this option basically ever. If you face enemy you cant handle with medium, just run away and break thru from another flank.

Kyphe #108 Posted 13 May 2011 - 10:27 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 15324 battles
  • [TEC] TEC

View PosttheMuhaha, on 22 March 2011 - 11:43 PM, said:

I don't know yet what i should think about this tank.
I love it for its mobility and smallness
The gun is okay, not more not less
I hate it for its never-bouncing glass armor  Dude I have no idea how you did this, this is almost impossible IMO
And I hate it for being ammo racked all. the. time.

The ammo rack problem is freaking me out most. It makes you almost useless for the rest of the match and to me it happens 2 out of 3 matches.

Another thing I dislike about it is that it can not, never, under no circumstances scratch the side armor of an IS4. That may sound weird but there is no other tank freaking me out like this while driving the T20. Every other tank can (and has) been damaged from the side (Except the IS7, but you face them rarely in the T20)

Edit:
Oh I almost forgot, a pesky Su85 reminded me: The track repair time is so long, you get shot to death most time before you are able to repair them. Not fun

haha yeah i thought it was impossible to get steal wall in the T20 but i got one during my approximately 560th battle in one, I got surrounded by a pack of 3 pz3s and two m3 lee, I one shot killed the lot of them but not before they peppered me with enough fire to give me the award.

sparrow_ #109 Posted 17 May 2011 - 04:17 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 5604 battles

View PostJTS, on 13 May 2011 - 07:38 AM, said:

If you dont know what to do with the speed perhaps you should play a heavy tank. Ability to change flanks is a great advantage, its a shame most people dont use this option basically ever. If you face enemy you cant handle with medium, just run away and break thru from another flank.

This hit 'n run tactic is the only proper one in T20. You cant out-turn  turrets of many heavies, so only thing you can do is shoot them hard and retreat looking for some hill/rock or building that provides you cover.

If you are surprised 1v1 on flat terrain by heavie, you are in deep sh1t. In this case - use premium shells or die  :Smile_great:

BrownBread #110 Posted 26 May 2011 - 09:56 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 1938 battles

View Postsparrow_, on 17 May 2011 - 04:17 PM, said:

This hit 'n run tactic is the only proper one in T20. You cant out-turn  turrets of many heavies, so only thing you can do is shoot them hard and retreat looking for some hill/rock or building that provides you cover.

If you are surprised 1v1 on flat terrain by heavie, you are in deep sh1t. In this case - use premium shells or die  :Smile_great:

This.

The T20 is an awesome tank. It's really fast with good acceleration, it might not turn really quick but you're not gonna be circling tanks in the open anyway.

One of the beautiful things about it is it's reverse speed. It does 20kmh in reverse and will actually hit that faster than if going forward, so this tank is suit to darting in and out of cover really well.

It also has a small turret with a nice depression so you can rush to all sorts of places and attack from places people wouldn't expect you to, and if you ever get cornered by a heavy you have enough HP to allow you to rush past them and, depending on the tank, evade their turret and kill them knife fighting. The t23 looks to be more of the same but with a more powerful engine so I can't wait.

Panthera #111 Posted 28 May 2011 - 10:33 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 22358 battles
  • [XMR] XMR
Man this is a fun tank to play. Don't score a lot of XP yet (without the 90mm its a bit undergunned) but I love to play it, distracting enemies so my team gets free shots at it. And now with the 90mm I can reliably engage all tier 7s as well. I'm playing heavy for the clan but medium is more fun at the moment :Smile-bajan2:

MrBeardface #112 Posted 06 June 2011 - 12:41 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 1891 battles
I don't know what to think of this tank yet. Mind you, I don't have the last upgrade, the engine, yet. It's quick even with the stock engine, but it has no agility to speak of, which for me completely destroys the point of going the American light/medium line. Every single tank in this line up to this point has been agile, that's why I stuck with it up to T7 - the T20 however feels like I'm steering a canal boat through a river made of pudding. The armour is also horrible. Not just bad, horrible. I recently had a couple fight with (tier V) T-34s and every single shot they fired, to the front of my tank, penetrated. I'm loving the damage and penetration on the 90mm but it's horribly slow, with 90% skill and no rammer there are many heavies that shoot faster than me.

The tank has its moments, and I'm actually having more good games on it than I had on my Easy Eight in the beginning, but it doesn't feel like a coherent concept. Speed but no agility. Firepower but no armour. Decent accuracy but horrible reload speed.

Merc_Matt #113 Posted 06 June 2011 - 03:34 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 7896 battles
This is probably the most fun tank i've played so far, totaly fits my playstyle,reaching great spots first, flanking enemies and shooting from hull-down positions in which no one can hit me, with 1k avg xp per battle and 80% hit ratio i'm very soon to get the  T23... I'm not looking forward to it that much since it still has the same 170 pene gun (that has a hard time penetrating IS-4s rear  :mellow: ) Probably the biggest disadvantage of T20 is the armor, anything can penetrate it even the Pz III's 5cm cannon  :(  , arty HE shells tend to penetrate and explode inside too. (look: t28 if you want to know what happens if HE penetrates)

MrBeardface #114 Posted 07 June 2011 - 03:17 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 1891 battles
Okay, I just made 5 kills, plenty of spots and damages, 48k cash and 1.5k xp in one game, that's without premium. I think I'm starting to like this tank.

ZingFreelancer #115 Posted 09 June 2011 - 01:19 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 6971 battles

View PostKnightz, on 04 January 2011 - 09:37 PM, said:

Ok, so I've played a fully upgraded T20 for about 3 days now and I have only one thing to say; It's a piece of garbage. Speed is the only thing you have, armor makes you a loltraktor with a 90mm, which by the way, doesn't penetrate shit. I've lost 1vs1 battles with t-34-85 when I clearly had the bigger advantage. It's not my playing style, its just the tank. I do not recommend this tank, its just a huge dissapointment overall.
I played a lot with medium tanks in CBT.

Russian medium tanks was OK, nothing astonishing, but they did the job. The 100mm was a fine gun and T-44 with 122mm worked out too. Personally I loved T-44 the most and when T-54 came around, it was just that much more love for me.
German medium tanks has at least a good gun. The short 88mm pack a decent punch and with a little planing ahead you will easily find a spot to penetrate. 3001P is a horrible tank though. VK DB was excellent tank, manoeuvrable, powerful and decently armoured.
Panther is like super Panzer 4, great sniper with nice mobility, loved it just as much as I love driving panzer 4.

American medium tanks... Under armoured, under gunned, great mobility. Easy'8 is a joke on tracks, when every tier 6 medium tank gets a tier 7 gun, E8 gets a fast firing pee shooter.
I have nothing good to say to T20, I was hoping the 90mm will give me the hurting I was looking out for, but I was wrong.
By the stats, 90mm should perform better than L/56, but somehow it turns out false in practice. Consider the fact that T20 has no armour to boot, I do not even understand what I am supposed to do with T20. Tail behind heavy tanks and hope you can land a hit on their opponent? Flank and get ventilated in 1,2,3?

Beats me, but one thing I understand for sure, American medium line is highly underpowered.

MrBeardface #116 Posted 09 June 2011 - 06:48 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 1891 battles
I like the 90mm gun, but the armour on the T20 is a pure joke. It couldn't possibly have been designed this way, it must be a bug - how else could an A-20 penetrate a T7 tank's armour? Or a T-34, penetrating with all shots to frontal armour? Both these things happened to me lately.

Merc_Matt #117 Posted 09 June 2011 - 08:22 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 7896 battles
A20 with flak cannon managed to penetrate my front... and its not unusual for arties to oneshot me... youll get used to it  :mellow:

MrBeardface #118 Posted 10 June 2011 - 03:39 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 1891 battles
I wonder if there's any tank in the game that has trouble penetrating the T20. I'm tempted to set up a battle with a Leichtraktor.

pilarius #119 Posted 10 June 2011 - 11:42 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 33515 battles
Today a T20 bounced a pair of my KV-1S shells (175pen). It seems you just have to take advantage of the terrain and get into some nice angles.
Anyway - I am looking forward to get the T2O as well. I've got a fully upgraded E8 Sherman with gun rammer and I really enjoy it, so the grind shouldn't be so hard.  :rolleyes:

MrBeardface #120 Posted 11 June 2011 - 04:47 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 1891 battles
You were simply unlucky. Every once in a blue moon the T20 will bounce even high-tier guns - only to be penetrated by tier 4 tanks a moment later.