Changes in game mechanics 0.8.6

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
145 replies to this topic

Trent #1 Posted 17 May 2013 - 10:45 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 10516 battles

POPULAR

Not sure if anyone posted this here yet, but maybe this will serve as a small incentive for WG developers to learn how "Follow this forum" function works. :tongue:

_Quasar_ said:

Dear all,

In this article, we will explain the major changes coming to the game mechanics that our producer, Michael Jivetc (Storm) has shared with us.

Note: The statistical theory behind some of the explanations below has been simplified to make the article accessible to all. For those mathematicians in the audience - please do not judge us too severely.

Changes to gun accuracy

In our opinion this is one of the most significant changes that we are bringing to the game since 0.8.0!

For those who might be interested, here is the statistical theory behind the mechanic. In game, we currently use the normal (Gauss (https://en.wikipedia...al_distribution)) distribution to calculate the values for shot dispersion. However, a limit for shot distribution has to exist, so all extreme values are restricted to the edge of the aiming circle. In simple words, the limits for the most inaccurate gun would still be the limits of the aiming circle.

Currently, in Version 8.5, we have 1.3 sigma set as a limit. This means that approximately 19.4% of shots will land at the edge of the aiming circle.

There were good reasons which this limit was chosen back in 2010, but the game has developed since then and we are ready to move on.

For Version 8.6, we have decided to change the distribution model used for accuracy calculations, by increasing the limit to 2-sigma. This means that now only 4.6% of shots will land at the edge of the aiming circle. That’s nearly 4 times less than under the old model!

We have also decided that the spike on the edge of distribution is no longer required, so the landing points for shells will be distributed equally from the center to the edge of the aiming circle. This means that overall there will be much fewer shots landing directly on the limit of the aiming circle. In other words, the shots will be more evenly distributed throughout the aiming circle.

How will it affect the gameplay?

It means that the accuracy of all guns will greatly increase. Players will notice much fewer shells falling on the edge of aiming circle – in fact such shots will become incredibly rare. We are decreasing the influence of random factors in-game, which means a corresponding increase in the value of player skill.

These changes will apply to all tanks and tank destroyers in the game. We have decided not to apply these accuracy changes to SPGs as it could potentially damage gameplay too much. The change will be compensated for by a slight increase in shell dispersion. If you've already seen leaked information about Version 0.8.6 SPG characteristics, please do not worry. It's not a nerf, just measures to avoid “over-buff”. The overall accuracy of SPGs will be pretty much the same, just more predictable.

New mechanics for HEAT shells:

Currently the way the mechanics work means that the effect of HEAT shells is barely different to normal Armour-Piercing shells. To increase the difference between them, and also to decrease the influence of HEAT shells on gameplay, we have decided to change their mechanics in Version 0.8.6 to make them more realistic:

• HEAT shells will start to ricochet if the impact angle is greater than 80 degrees. (please note that every shell can have slightly different settings). The armour penetration after ricochet will remain the same.
• After penetration, a HEAT shell cannot ricochet inside the tank (as the shell is transformed into a continuous stream.)
• After penetration, the HEAT shell will lose 5% of armour penetration force for each 10cm of travelling distance
• After penetration, the force with which the HEAT shell continues to travel through the armour will take into account the angle of impact between the armour and penetration spot.

Overall, these changes mean that HEAT shells will now have ricochets instead of penetrations with 0 damage and less armour penetration values when it meets spaced armor (Maus drivers will love this change).

Note: The tracks of a vehicle will also count as spaced armour for HEAT shells.

New mechanics for camouflage:

Currently, camouflage patterns and camouflage net values work as multipliers in the overall camouflage calculation formula. So if the base camouflage values for a particular tank are low, the provided advantage from the both devices will also be close to zero.

We have decided to change this. From now on, the values for vehicles and camo devices will be cumulative.  This means that now the camouflage net and camouflage pattern will provide fixed bonuses which will only differ based on the class of the vehicle (for example, TD's will receive the highest bonus).

To avoid side-effects with having nearly invisible TD's, it was decided to decrease the overall camouflage bonuses provided by bushes and fallen trees.

Changes to amount of credits and experience points received for battles:

Currently TDs and SPGs receive penalties on the amount of experience points they receive per battle - TDs currently receive 33% less XP, while SPGs receive 50% less than regular tanks.

In Version 0.8.6, we will remove these penalties. This means that TDs and SPGs will receive much more XP per battle

We will also add an assistance bonus for keeping enemies tracked. If you track an enemy and your allies then damage it or even destroy it, you will receive a bonus in credits and XP. The mechanics will be similar to the way the bonus for spotting currently works.

Tl;dr version:

1. Gun accuracy mechanics are changed. As far as I can tell, less shots landing on the edges on the aiming circle, less landing in the centre, more everywhere else, SPGs not affected - I think the description of changes to mechanics is a little bit inconsistent with description of their effect, but me being too stupid to understand what has been written is also a strong possibility here.

2. HEAT shells nerfed: spaced armour more affective against them.

3. Camo net and camo pattern effectiveness will not depend on the base camo, only on a tank class (TDs specifically mentioned as buffed), which means camo buff for vehicles with negligible base camo value.

4. 50% XP buff for TDs, 100% XP buff for SPGs (not sure if it affects XP overall or only stuff like damage/assisted XP, my educated guess would be the latter).

5. XP and credits bonus for damage done to enemies tracked by you.

Viperlein #2 Posted 17 May 2013 - 10:55 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 18755 battles
  • [GSPB] GSPB
Fucking love this!

7LV #3 Posted 17 May 2013 - 10:56 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 18472 battles
Good, Time to find the GOD bush...

bombuhr #4 Posted 17 May 2013 - 10:58 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 22418 battles
Sounds like some pretty descent changes.
Looking forward to trying it.

when they nerf the ability to stay hidden behind bushes and trees, making them beeing seem more often and getting killed?

Whoa? Where did you read that?

Edited by bombuhr, 17 May 2013 - 10:59 PM.

Valeriadrina #5 Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:02 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 12826 battles
Reduced BS dispersion for cannon shots is a very welcome change. Not sure what to think about that other stuff.

Edited by Valeriadrina, 17 May 2013 - 11:03 PM.

Celution #6 Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:03 PM

Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 30748 battles
  • [KAZNA] KAZNA

View PostT3azz, on 17 May 2013 - 10:57 PM, said:

This is a joke, what benefit will the TDs have from higher XP when they nerf the ability to stay hidden behind bushes and trees, making them beeing seem more often and getting killed?

You are a potato. You clearly have no idea how things work, do you?

Otherwise, if this is true, this will be awesome, it feels like WG is finally making steps into the right direction, after more than two years. Though, there are still MANY things that need to be reworked and rebalanced.

Edited by Celution, 17 May 2013 - 11:04 PM.

Viperlein #7 Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:06 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 18755 battles
  • [GSPB] GSPB

View PostT3azz, on 17 May 2013 - 11:04 PM, said:

I assume that, that the camo nerf/buff will make the TDs more invisible on the run or staying put and still, but once firing beeing behind bushes or in the open, they will be exposed more easy. Basicly all bushes will give worse camo after this change, affecting TDs alot.

Thats why TDs will get a bonus for being a TD. Also the camo skills and nets will give much more camo rating for big tanks since they´ll be cumulative.

Edited by Viperlein, 17 May 2013 - 11:08 PM.

A_U_S_L_A_N_D_E_R #8 Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:09 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 37181 battles
  • [LZ-SQ] LZ-SQ
Rofl....so newbies that have no clue about cammo or any other game mechanics whined too hard so they are gonna actually "help" them by reducing the cammo from bushes and fallen trees? If this is true then WG went full retard indeed.

Wooooooooot...newbie found himself in my post so he negreped me xD

Edited by Medjed, 18 May 2013 - 08:40 PM.

Celution #9 Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:12 PM

Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 30748 battles
  • [KAZNA] KAZNA

View PostT3azz, on 17 May 2013 - 11:04 PM, said:

I assume that, that the camo nerf/buff will make the TDs more invisible on the run or staying put and still, but once firing beeing behind bushes or in the open, they will be exposed more easy. Basicly all bushes will give worse camo after this change, affecting TDs alot.

Lol potato, I still see what this is heading to. In 8.7 they will probably make some changes that will undo the "buffed" stuff in 8.6.

It won't. It will actually buff the bigger sized TD's in terms of being able to hide when using such equipment. Instead of buffing the final camouflage factor in a relatively simple multiplication, it will now add a fixed bonus.
This means, that vehicles with low camouflage factors benefit more from camouflaging equipment and skills than they do now. Bushes will do their job the same way they have always been doing.

Gulyabani #10 Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:19 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 28354 battles
Loving every one of these changes.

Dispersion: I'll take predictable over random any day.
HEAT: Good - loading gold ammo wont be automatic win anymore, you'll still have to know how to aim.
Camouflage: German TDs rejoice
XP: Easier grinding.

Overall, good stuff. And if they've also managed to get that cheat-detection in as they seem to indicate (for some reason, i'm doubting that), then this may be the best patch since launch.

Theotmalli #11 Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:19 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 10752 battles
  • [QSF-P] QSF-P
Would the change in camouflage mechanics be a buff or nerf for scout tanks?

System98 #12 Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:23 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 22526 battles
Sounds promising in most aspects. I'm looking forward for the common testserver.

ABCWarrrior #13 Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:34 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 8272 battles
Oooh, cat among the pigeons time  :trollface:

urbankronin #14 Posted 18 May 2013 - 12:07 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 11800 battles

View PostTheotmalli, on 17 May 2013 - 11:19 PM, said:

Would the change in camouflage mechanics be a buff or nerf for scout tanks?
For active scouts, i think this won't change things too much, for passive scouts i think it will be e welcome breeze of fresh air for the german scouts, but will stay mostly the same for everyone else. I'm just making suppositions here, anyone who drives one to confirm or deny?

Theotmalli #15 Posted 18 May 2013 - 12:10 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 10752 battles
  • [QSF-P] QSF-P

View Posturbankronin, on 18 May 2013 - 12:07 AM, said:

For active scouts, i think this won't change things too much, for passive scouts i think it will be e welcome breeze of fresh air for the german scouts, but will stay mostly the same for everyone else. I'm just making suppositions here, anyone who drives one to confirm or deny?
As far as I understand passive scouts with camo net get a bonus. But so do the TDs with camo net they are supposed to spot. So no gain for either side, right?

urbankronin #16 Posted 18 May 2013 - 12:42 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 11800 battles

View PostTheotmalli, on 18 May 2013 - 12:10 AM, said:

As far as I understand passive scouts with camo net get a bonus. But so do the TDs with camo net they are supposed to spot. So no gain for either side, right?
Yeh, i think things will keep being more or less balanced. I think the nerf to bushes and trees camo will make camo skill and net a must for them however. I mean, if bushes and trees give less camo but now camo net and camo skill give more, they not only will have an use for them, they will have to get them to stay hidden.

GloatingSwine #17 Posted 18 May 2013 - 12:56 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 15548 battles

View PostT3azz, on 17 May 2013 - 10:50 PM, said:

And here it comes "To avoid side-effects with having nearly invisible TD's, it was decided to decrease the overall camouflage bonuses provided by bushes and fallen trees". - The single most important thing is not beeing seen standing still in a bush sniping!  Rarely should a TD fight beeing on the run. In other words, whats the point having buffed camo values if you nerf the camo you get from bushes? TDs are suppose to hide and be invisible behind objects, not in the middle if the field, where they shouldnt be from the first place. Clearly this is a nerf all togeather for TDs.

The current camo value from bushes is actually pretty ridiculous though, standing still you're basically invisible if there are two bushes within 15m in just about anything short of a Maus.

What this will mean is that in order to hide in the bushes you'll need denser bushes, because the camo factor stacks the more are between you and the spotter.

pixarart #18 Posted 18 May 2013 - 01:05 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 43180 battles
''This means that now the camouflage net and camouflage pattern will provide fixed bonuses which will only differ based on the class of the vehicle (for example, TD's will receive the highest bonus).''

i dont understand this very well....they saying that all meds will have same camo values,all tds same camo values etc etc??jpe-100 will have same camo as obj268??e-50m same camo as batchat??maus same camo as is7?? Enlighten me please.

tango_delta #19 Posted 18 May 2013 - 01:06 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 11465 battles
-wrong information removed.

Edited by tango_delta, 18 May 2013 - 06:56 PM.

Orkel2 #20 Posted 18 May 2013 - 01:11 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 21580 battles

View Posttango_delta, on 18 May 2013 - 01:06 AM, said:

I like how they make it sound that clear bugs in the system are intended features. Like the most basic programming failure of not being able to create normal distribution for the guns but instead you get peaks at the low and high extremes with the current system.

Also the change of sigma from 1.3 to 2 does not increase the effect of skill but it increases the randomness. It reduces the peak and makes it even more lottery to get lol bounces and lol didnotpens. Here you can see what the change of sigma does to the graph. The bigger sigma the flatter the curve: https://controls.eng...ributionPDF.png

Basically it means that if you have 250mm pen gun you are more likely to roll anything between 188 and 312 and less likely to roll 250mm than you are now.

Typical wg. People want less rng. Wg adds more rng.

Penetration and damage rolls have no such curves. It randomly picks anything from the pen/dmg range with same chance for 250 or 312.

The change only affects accuracy, it's the only one that uses gaussian distribution.

Edited by Orkel2, 18 May 2013 - 01:52 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users