Open season on Crusaders?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

StClement #1 Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:54 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 16052 battles
Well, for several weeks I didn't even see a Crusader. Five or six days ago they started to turn up in my games again and I've been culling them like baby seals... :sad:

Karma must be turning on me, 'cause today I'm three games down looking for my daily win.

Now some of these guys must be new and others will be average players like myself- but every one I see gets slotted long before mid game. This is bad, even for the traditionally weak performance of this particular model.

Things I've noticed, in no particular order:

The gun, never exactly brilliant, is now pretty much useless. Long range shooting is like throwing tennis balls, short range shots may hit, but with just 110mm pen they really need to be on target to go through. Mostly, they're not. Failing to hit a viewport is fair enough, but I've been missing lfps filling half my aiming circle.

Module damage has come calling on the Crusader. When I started playing I must have had over a hundred games before I took my first critical- now it seems to be every shot either knocks out something vital or kills one or more crew. I had all three crew members killed on South Coast yesterday- with almost half my hit points left. My assassin was a T-25, not exactly noted for their knockout punch!

The camo is broken. Mid week I killed a Crusader from half a board away. Ten minutes ago I spotted a Crusader in the forest in Murovanka before the Pz IV charging next to him- the Crusader is supposed to have better base camo and retain it better on the move. I was the same distance from both models...

The agility, even in an elited model with skilled crew, is still inferior to most mediums. The Pz IV I mentioned circle straffed me. My gun was knocked out by the Crusader I killed (payback's a bitch! :trollface: ) so I wasn't distracted by trying to shoot back as the panzer danced around me like I was standing still...

Any thoughts, people?

kwk75l48 #2 Posted 19 May 2013 - 11:14 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 19447 battles
  • [TDC] TDC
umm im getting about 50% of ap hits giving crits recently no matter what target. my tilly got 6 from 9 last game and no fires to add to it.

now eaither im getting ace at critting or crits are now so easy to come by its silly (i think latter)

Instigator #3 Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:54 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 40506 battles
Crusader is a nice tank with great pen for its tier. Dies quick unless you keep moving as it is in a tier of derpers. Plenty of people with high win rates on this tank though.

MangoCat #4 Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:00 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 6797 battles
A couple of them were probably me!  :sceptic:

It takes a few games to learn what it can do so I have had some good ones and some very short ones too. The 6pdr at least does some damage but its not so fast, the turn rate is awful and the speed is nothing special. Major glass jaw too, but at least you can take a couple of hits.....

By the way, is there any point to getting the MkV 6 pdr? Seems to have marginally better penetration but worse accuracy and its heavier.

StClement #5 Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:04 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 16052 battles
There used to be. At one point my preferred tactic was to flank the enemy advance/camping line from a respectful distance, put a couple of well aimed ranging shots in and then murder some unsuspecting heavy when I was on target with a few rapid follow on shots. The extra penetration and increased* accuracy meant that the rapid shots would all count, as long as the ranging ones were on target (nothing like a bounce/zero dam pen to fubar a plan like that). Now I'm not so sure. The more random dispersal of shots since the last couple of patches makes the accuracy suspect and if you miss the sweet spot an extra 5mm probably won't help much.

The good news is the promise of increased accuracy all round in the next patch. (8.6) It won't make much difference to the inbound fires- they're hitting and penetrating you anyway, it's not going to get any worse. But it will (allegedly) make it easier for you to find those weak spots with your own shots and there are places on many models where 5mm will make a difference, if you can reliably hit the target.
The next patch may be just what the Crusader needs.

Of course, the reduced effectiveness of foliage as cover may steal that advantage back and then some...

*Lower is better, MangoCat. The accuracy figure refers to the dispersal at 100m (one mini-map square on most boards). From wot wiki:
The accuracy value for a gun is given in meters at a range of 100m. The lower the value the more accurate your gun is. The value describes 2 standard deviations σ from the center of your aim. In other words, for a gun with 0.32m effective accuracy at 100m, 95.45% of all shots will land within 0.32m of the center of your aim at that distance. Dispersion amount increases linearly with distance, i.e. 0.32m effective accuracy at 100m translates to 0.64m at 200m and 1.28m at 400m  

Take it with a pinch of salt though, the same source also says:
The details of some game mechanics are being held "close to the vest" over at Wargaming.net
In true party style, all weapons are subject to the same mechanics and are therefore equal. Some, however, are more equal than others... :trollface:

Hummus #6 Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:43 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 19076 battles
  • [DIIIK] DIIIK
hehehehehe. Well mine is still doing a nifty 65% win rate. So "bring it"  :P

MangoCat #7 Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:44 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 6797 battles

View PostStClement, on 23 May 2013 - 11:04 PM, said:

*Lower is better, MangoCat.

Ha ha. D'oh! Well, I reckon its probably worth it anyway. Any edge in terms of firepower has got to count.

Been getting better with the Crusader last few games. Its a bit more of a medium/sniper than the Covenator and takes a wee bit of tactical revision to get the best of it. Another dozen or two dozen games in it should improve things no end. I reckon its quite a nice tank really.

JohnnyMaverik #8 Posted 27 May 2013 - 04:08 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 19128 battles

View PostStClement, on 23 May 2013 - 11:04 PM, said:

*Lower is better, MangoCat."

I kid you not it took me until tier 3 to work that out xD. In my defence I thought it was a percentage... represented as a float... so like 0.55 (55%) was really accurate and 0.32 (32%) was shit... not much of a defence  I know -_-.

StClement #9 Posted 27 May 2013 - 03:47 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 16052 battles
:veryhappy: Easy mistake to make though, Johnny. My problem is that supposedly inaccurate weapons aren't, while 'lasers' tend to be much more random than advertised. I'll let you guess which nations I'm referring to...  :trollface:

I've got a forces background- almost the first thing I did was go looking for the appropriate pamphlet/BR/TACNOTEs! Sad or what? Still, it brought me to the forum, so it's not all bad.  :smile:

bloodrain_200 #10 Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:28 PM

Private

• Player
  • 1643 battles
+1 OP sick and tired of entering a match with 2 crusaders on my side including me when you realise after a few minutes either you or the other is dead....

StClement #11 Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:41 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 16052 battles
I feel your pain, blood. Since the patch I've noticed a big improvement in the 6lber though, so back to what I said before- if you can get a ranging shot through the other guys armour, bang a few in, then scoot. Preferably along the reverse slope of a hill or dune.

You make a lot of experience and credit for co-op play, so hitting several enemy tanks is just as good as killing one with the same amount of damage dealt. If your mates finish them off you get a share/bonus for their kill, plus you can be sneaking off somewhere else meantime, rather than trying to inflict the umpteen penetrating hits necessary to bring down a mighty enemy light tank, or tier one artillery piece...

Beware of camo, though. The mechanism has changed, bushes don't offer much protection, but TDs and camo nets have gone all ninja. Hurts a slow moving light tank, favours the less well armoured (but better cammoed) TDs.

Game working as intended... :trollface:

bloodrain_200 #12 Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:02 PM

Private

• Player
  • 1643 battles
so thats the crusaders passive scouting out the window -_- and wouldnt the game make more sense if bigger guns revealed your position more than smaller guns then the crusader would be a ninja best thing to ambush a v never get old and have you noticed that the 6pd is reaaly good at setting stuff on fire especially upclose.....

woodman663 #13 Posted 07 August 2013 - 01:55 PM

Private

• Player
  • 9113 battles
Well, I just got my very first (not just this vehicle, first ever) Ace Tanker badge in this tank, doing 911 dmg (most of it to a KV-1S) and keeping half their team spotted on Redshire in a tier 6 match. Somehow the Covenanter and this thing get me a lot of wins, even though it doesn't feel very powerful. Possibly the biggest advantage of this tank is that other tankers don't seem to target you much? It's not as speedy as the M7 and doesn't have the M7's view range, nor does it deal the damage of a T49 or T-34, yet the Crusader somehow gets the job done for me.

kommandr #14 Posted 10 August 2013 - 12:56 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 4971 battles
I have to a

View Postwoodman663, on 07 August 2013 - 01:55 PM, said:

Well, I just got my very first (not just this vehicle, first ever) Ace Tanker badge in this tank, doing 911 dmg (most of it to a KV-1S) and keeping half their team spotted on Redshire in a tier 6 match. Somehow the Covenanter and this thing get me a lot of wins, even though it doesn't feel very powerful. Possibly the biggest advantage of this tank is that other tankers don't seem to target you much? It's not as speedy as the M7 and doesn't have the M7's view range, nor does it deal the damage of a T49 or T-34, yet the Crusader somehow gets the job done for me.

I agree, reading posts like the first one in this thread made me think that every time I took the Crusader out I would get trashed really quickly. However that is not the case and I am keeping the Crusader as I enjoy playing it. It is definitely a skulk around in the shadows until you see an opportunity and shoot type of tank rather that a sit in the open and blast away type or a close quarters brawler.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users