Is the AMX 40 even worth anything anymore?

AMX40 theduck Matilda Worth Anything Anymore Overpoweredbritishguns

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
40 replies to this topic

Lolpingu #1 Posted 25 May 2013 - 12:03 PM

Private

• Player
  • 3006 battles
I remember the AMX 40 BEFORE the addition of british tanks. It had a fairly subpar gun (crappy accuracy and horrible depression), horrible speed, but really good armor sloping and thickness for it's tier. If you got put on top, it would actually be pretty fun to play (although anything else was a nightmare because your armor stopped being effective) - you would often get steel wall if you played your cards correctly.
Now, with the addition of the british tanks, and namely the tier IV Matilda, even the armor on this tank doesn't do it any good. The Matilda's gun penetrates this tank with great ease regardless of angling (you can't wiggle in this tank either, due to the horrible traverse) and fires faster than your gun, so you will often lose duels against a matilda unless you get REALLY LUCKY and he bounces a few shots, enough for your 75mm to kill it (although it could work vise versa), and when you get into a match and you are on top, you will usually have at least 2 Matildas on the enemy team.  
And it's not like you can escape a duel, not with your terrible speed.
It seems like this miserable green brick can't even handle itself anymore even when it's on top, which makes the grind to the ELC AMX pretty painful.
I have to ask - does this tank even have anything going for it anymore? is there something I'm missing?

Edited by Lolpingu, 25 May 2013 - 12:04 PM.

Gehoth #2 Posted 25 May 2013 - 12:49 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 11801 battles
I dont think this tank was worth anything anytime. You just have to survive 50 battles of pure hell. On the other hand, after this grind you start appreciating life more. You should try to have some fun while grinding, trolling people and stuff.

Lolpingu #3 Posted 25 May 2013 - 01:08 PM

Private

• Player
  • 3006 battles

View PostGehoth, on 25 May 2013 - 12:49 PM, said:

I dont think this tank was worth anything anytime. You just have to survive 50 battles of pure hell. On the other hand, after this grind you start appreciating life more. You should try to have some fun while grinding, trolling people and stuff.
That might actually be a good idea.
Unfortunately, most of the WoT EU matches are composed of people of at least 5 different nationalities, none of which understand english (or eachother)

_DiMe_ #4 Posted 25 May 2013 - 08:06 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 10106 battles
  • [SOW] SOW
For me it's worth it becouse next one up is ELC AMX, the total beast of tank!

Woody1999 #5 Posted 25 May 2013 - 08:15 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 17000 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
I never got to it. Finished the AMX 38 grind feeling....not good and unlocked the duck, sold the 38 then went into a complete brain-freeze, debating whether to pain myself enough to get it or to not. I ended up not getting it - but I may get it for the pure troll factor.

Woody

Erapin #6 Posted 25 May 2013 - 10:35 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 21522 battles
  • [HO_PO] HO_PO
Worth is any more? When, exactly, was it worth more than its value in scrap metal? I did my time in the Duck and then got the hork out of it, just like you should, if you are masochistic enough to go up that line of stinkers (looking at you, AMX 12t and Lorraine 40t).

ollonborre #7 Posted 25 May 2013 - 10:47 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 16937 battles
12T is a pretty good passive scout and assasin, so it is not all that bad.

Captain_Karpov #8 Posted 26 May 2013 - 01:02 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 31142 battles
  • [-VIC-] -VIC-
AMX40 still is a great tank!!!!!

ignore the nay sayers, +1.

voodoospirit #9 Posted 26 May 2013 - 06:59 PM

Major

• Player
  • 27659 battles
  • [PFDR] PFDR
yeah, by the time i increased my skill in wot...but at time....amx40 was good at passive sniping or protecting arties, could make a good defense wall for the arties too.

IronSpear #10 Posted 27 May 2013 - 01:51 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 25579 battles
Step one research it.
Step 2 Load the Heat rounds
Step 3 Add Vents Rammer and spall liner or GLD

Step 4 You have a weird looking Matilda sort of a tank that bounces and no longer has a scout matching [it is not that bad]

Step 5 Just pure troll driving around in tier 4 matches bouncing stuff left and right. I killed a KV 1 on 1 with that thing

Step 6 Unless you weird you will sell it when researched the ELC but it is not as bad as most people whine about

no_name_cro #11 Posted 27 May 2013 - 02:29 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 18939 battles
With this MM AMX40 and B1 are a blast to play.

JohnnyMaverik #12 Posted 27 May 2013 - 03:50 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 18513 battles
I love the AMX 40... it's fun... now burn the witch xD. No seriously, I quite enjoy it.

HazCZ #13 Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:52 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 22150 battles
To just simply answer your question: IMHO It is NOT and it NEVER was.

The WORST tank in the whole game. Even in those games where you are as top tier you are sooo slow, that battle usually ends/is decided before you get even involved.

And for me this is the only tier IV tank I didn't grind through to get next - I just surrendered and researched ELC with free xps.

Edited by HazCZ, 30 May 2013 - 08:52 AM.

Phuzzi #14 Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:59 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 13074 battles
As has been said, it's OK playing it as a heavy if you're top-tier otherwise it plain sucks. Only reason to get it is if you want to move through the tree for either the ELC AMX or the BatChat, it won't be the last painful tank on your way up that tree though IME

PRO_MEMBER #15 Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:04 AM

Major

• Player
  • 20703 battles
  • [ICYA] ICYA
Yes AMX-40 is still as much fun as ever  :trollface:

luuporama #16 Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:58 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 99703 battles
  • [F-UPS] F-UPS
The AMX 40 is only worth the ELC AMX. 'Nuff said

UrQuan #17 Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:41 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 20635 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Went into this line to unlock the ELC AMX tank, expected a terrible grind. So far it has been fun! H35 dominated the battles (stayed here a long time as I only heared terrible things about AMX 38 & AMX 40). Finally got the courage to buy the AMX 38 and grind up (the special helped).
Turns out the AMX 38 was good fun, boucing the strangest shots! Quickly got to the AMX 40, so sold the AMX 38 and played it's successor. So far, AMX 40 is heaps of fun. Know how to angle it and you can ding the craziest shots! Imo, if you got experience with slow armored tanks, this will benefit you greatly driving the AMX 40. Also it's topgun is neat (from what I understand, it didn't always had this gun)
If you hate slow tanks, you surely hate this one. If you like tanks with a focus on armor, this one's neat, bonus for having no obvious looking weakspot. Also, it's reputation as terrible tank can work in your advantage, as people tend to ignore you for other tanks they percieve as more dangerous.
To illustrate this, I had a recent match where I was completely ignored by enemies until I was in their base, spotting their arties. I know they spotted me, as I fired a few shots in their direction (0 damage), to attract their attention, I failed...They preferred shooting at my teammates in cover instead of wasting their shot on a useless tank. I was bottomtier in a tier 6 match, we won nicely thanks to the enemy ignoring me till it was way too late. I guess they all tought *not gonna waste a shot on him, let the other guy kill the useless tank*

Amonhoteph #18 Posted 15 June 2013 - 01:10 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 24860 battles
It says it should be able to do 50 km/h, but min flats out on about 28 with top engine and suspension. Whats up with that?

Multispec #19 Posted 20 June 2013 - 05:59 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 12417 battles
Try driving downhill to reach max speed... U will need a long hill though :P

Came to this forum to check for advices, so far it is terrible so despite being fully upgraded. I hate that I can't attack because the battle is over when I arrive. Even on mostly flat maps I only just arrive in the enemy base when there is only arty left if we are winning or I get obliterated in the middle, about 5 minutes into the game.

It is worth absolutely nothing for people wanting to play a "light" tank, it feels like a stock KV-1 to drive, but with much less armor, less accurate gun, longer reload times, poor damage if you manage to get a hit in before the aiming circle is small enough and you are not destroyed yet.

And it has a 3 man crew, compared to the 38 version so couldn't even transfer crew from the fairly enjoyable 38 which has better MM... And the ELC AMX has a 2 man crew so again... It is absolutely a piece of trash unless you "enjoy" sitting in your base babysitting arty from an attack that may never come, and if it does it is most likely a tank that will obliterate you in seconds, so yeah, you bought your arty 2 more seconds... Huzzah.

PowJay #20 Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:54 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 37536 battles
Well,  I just have to say-

I bought the AMX 40 a SECOND TIME.

I had done reasonably well in it first time around. I decided to give it another go as a more experienced player.

Well, yes, it is an awful tank, but calling it Lucky doesn't do it justice.

The speed is bad, yes, but put yourself in the right spot and it doesn't matter so much.

The top gun has a poor reload time, but good pen. I do tend to do some damage to things that I hit.

But that armour! Wow.

The other day I almost got killed by a Hellcat. He took me down to <100HP but I bounced his next shot- at point-blank range. He then decided that he must have better things to do. I don't recall exactly what was going on, but he disappeared and I was left to travel on to the base.

I actually did him some serious damage in return along the way, but a team mate finished him off.

In a game today, the Luck aspect of this tank shone through. I was in the south centre of Mountain pass. I had hit a Leopard and damaged the track on an SU-85 (I mean, that's all, not WOW!!) when a KV-1S one-shotted me.

It did look like we were going to lose monumentally at this point with one flank gone and more of them than us.

Long story short, our KV-2 got six kills and capped. Another win for the lucky AMX 40 team.

Since I bought this back, I have won 10 games in a row- even if my only contribution has been trundling around the battlefield distracting the enemy and bouncing shells. I now have a WR of over 70%

I WON'T be keeping it long term; either until I have reached 100 battles at most, or until I need the garage space, but I won't be keeping it forever, because, let's face it, it is not a good tank.  :teethhappy:

Edited by PowJay, 01 July 2013 - 04:38 PM.

Also tagged with AMX40, theduck, Matilda, Worth, Anything, Anymore, Overpoweredbritishguns

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users