[Guide] From 'average' To 'good': Collection Of Advice.

Guide

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

akaFuel #1 Posted 26 May 2013 - 12:43 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 41457 battles

POPULAR

[Updated for patch 0.8.7]

Hello Fellow-tankers,
[INTRODUCTION] with this topic I want to fill a gap in these forums: you find guides and topics which help newcomers making their first steps in the game. And you find countless material provided by top-notch players for the very advanced in-game understanding: the meta. When I thought, that I was not a newbie anymore, but still could not really connect to the more in-depth tactics, tools and guides here and in the vast universe of WoT-affiliated (fan-based) sites, I was kind of 'frustrated'. I could clearly see by pure stats and my own in-game-play, that I am better than beginners, but still not able to make a decisive difference in battles. After a few thousand battles more, I decided to try to write a guide for this period of transition: being not a newcomer anymore, but still not good.
=================================================================================================================================
TARGET AUDIENCE

NEW PLAYERS >>> MEDIOCRE PLAYERS >>> TOP-NOTCHPLAYERS
[very bad, bad rated] >>> [below average, average, good rated] >>> [very good, great+ rated]

You can easily check your ratings here: =================================================================================================================================
CAVEAT
  • [THANK YOU] Most of my advice is influenced by comments, topics, posts, videos I read/watched here and there. To list all the names would look too ass-kissing, therefore I want to give a big shout-out to all of you, who already contribute to the community in providing excellent material and sharing their superior knowledge: Thank you very much! I only try to sum up some things and spice them up with my own notes and experience.
    • Another personal thank you to RongoMatane, who provided some very sophisticated and elaborated advice, which I tried to include here as well.
  • [FOCUS] This guide is mainly referring to playing heavy and medium tanks. I hardly played Tank-Destroyers so far (personally I find it rather boring), I enjoy playing artillery and lately try to familiarize with light tank play (very interesting, yet difficult for me).
  • [LINKS] I put in quite a lot of links to pictures, .gifs, threads and more. A lot of them are from the reddit-WoT site and so those users there deserve an extra applause in advance! The links are chosen to add some humorous flavour and informational character. The majority of you will know those already.
Alright, let's start...
=================================================================================================================================
GENERAL ADVICE
  • [PLAY TO PERFORM] By that I mean: being not strictly focused on winning a game, but trying to pull off a really 'good' performance by you. The outcome of a random battle is dependent on more than just yourself: however: you can increase (good) or decrease (bad) the probabilities for a victory. The better you perform, the more likely it is, that your impact during the battle will turn the odds into your team's favour - and eventually succeed. My definition of performance in cardinal order: (I.) damage, (II.) be mini-map aware, (III.) help your team-mates, (IV.) don't be selfish, (V.) ignore the trolls/spammers/haters/ignorants and concentrate on your own game-play.
  • [TRY TO SURVIVE] The longer you survive during a battle, the better - it does not matter in which tank. Please note though: by this I mean anything but being passive or approaching the battle in a camping style. Don't be a coward, when the battle calls for your contribution.The outcome of really 'good games' I have seen and played were decided by one simple thing: The side with the most remaining hit-points wins the battle (exceptions are granted).
  • [DAMAGE, DAMAGE, DAMAGE] As rule of thumb: try to dish out damage at least equal to your own hit-points. You could regard each battle as an accumulation of hit-points allocated in different variations (tanks) per side. So, be a valuable part of your team and inflict some serious pain to your enemies.
  • [DO NOT PLAY TOO MANY TANKS AT ONCE] It is tempting to just quit to garage once your tank is nothing but a wreckage, clicking through the garage, selecting another tank and pressing 'battle' immediately again. If you are not a good, very good, great player or Unicum: don't do it, please. As many players already stated, this kind of WoT-playing might confuse you more than you are actually aware of. Switching in tiers and tank-classes in a rapid succession takes away a lot of chances for you to learn - and to improve.
  • [KNOW YOUR ROLE] and [WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT] A 'role' is defined as the sum of expectations, that social peers in a specific context have towards you. Fulfill that in WoT. This means: (Example I.) you are a heavy tank and spawning top-tier? Well, then you certainly should not play passively: when the battle is tight, you should throw in your armor and hit-points to force the break-through/counter-attack/a decent defense/etc. (Example II.) You are a medium and spawn as low-tier? Then evaluate thoroughly, if you should stay defensively at first to intercept incoming scouts; if you guard strategic spots to where heavy tanks need ages to get to; if you advance with your allied heavy tanks to be ready for flanking maneuvers; if you become the agile semi-spotter for your team later in the battle or fight in wolves-pack's style. And sometimes it simply makes more sense to retreat than desperately trying to fight the position you are holding.
  • [KNOW YOUR TANK] When you grind along at your currently favoured tech-tree line, spend some time and look at the tank statistics, the modules, useful equipment, fitting consumables - and educate yourself: go the WoT-wiki and read the article. You will find plenty of useful information there. Go to YouTube or a replay-site and have a look of how 'good+' players play this tank. The absorbed information will help you to understand quicker and better your current tank of choice. This knowledge becomes very vital the higher in the tech-tree you advance as the tanks significantly change attributes, but still have the same role.
  • [KNOW YOUR ENEMY] Don't engage, when you (i.e.) don't know how to penetrate with your shells a certain enemy tank. And don't be impatient and just rush for the rush's sake. The standard-battle timer is 15:00 minutes, yet most battles are over after 1/3 or 1/2 of the time, because: most players are impatient (and there is a big difference between being patient and playing passive), but surprisingly enough a lot of (especially high-tier) battles can change fairly quick after the first dust has settled. A small 'lead' in numbers is unfortunately deluding most players for unnecessary rushes and exposure. Skilled players wait for their opportunity to strike. Assess the situation: do you have nearby/advancing allies with you? Do you have artillery-support (btw: the chat can be used for something else than insults and racist comments)? Is the terrain favouring your position and potential advancement - or is it favouring the enemy? Will you fight just one tank, one tank with artillery-support, several tanks, several tanks with artillery-support? Do you have the gun to pick up the fight with the remaining enemy/ies or should you just do auxiliary spotting for your allies? And lastly (and probably most important): do you have the hit-points to take a shot in order to claim the tactical advantage for your team? Go through these questions, answer them honestly, make a rational decision - and play accordingly. Some additions:
    • [Knowledge of tanks]: Know effective armor values, and all gun characteristics: aim time, penetration, damage, reload in seconds.
    • [Knowledge of maps]: Know arty spots, scout routes, choke points and areas that are hidden from arty, time you need to get from A to B. (Example link can be found further down below to Tazilon's website.)
    • [Carefully monitor the Minimap] and the battle dynamic (like: is one flank open after 5 minutes, with some enemies there? Most people only recognize being capped when the red bar pops up, but in 95% of the time you can see it 2 minutes ahead).
  • [REFLECT UPON YOUR GAME-PLAY] It is more 'efficient', also more 'effective' when you play less battles and but do it properly: knowing your role and your tank. Still: you did all the research and somehow are not satisfied about how you play this specific tank? Start watching your own replays and ask yourself: did I really make the right decisions in positioning, attacking/defending/flanking maneuvers based on the information (mini-map and score-board) I had? You will be surprised how often you will realize: you could have done better, because you misjudged. So, when being frustrated, be self-reflective and force yourself into self-criticism. Most insights come from fail - and in order to get an holistic perspective: thoroughly analyze your own game-play.
  • [DO NOT BUY PREMIUM TANKS WHICH ARE HIGHER IN BATTLE-TIERS THAN YOUR OWN GAME EXPERIENCE] Do all WoT-players a big favour and don't buy (i.e.) a Tier VIII. premium tank, when you have not reached Tier VIII. with your regular tanks. You will cause infinite rage for your team-mates, will be farmed by your enemies, your stats will be horrible - and most important: no-one will be more disappointed than you about that battle, where you wanted to roll with the big boys and before you knew what happened: your tank is a wreckage, the chat is full of insults and maybe you even get after-battle-hate in private channels from players. I made that mistake. Many others did it as well. No need for you to repeat it. Take your time to explore the game and its mechanics. Be patient and you'll become much 'faster' a 'good' rated player than an old fart like me. Once you fully understand how much difference a skilled crew on a tank can make: get your premium-tank for crew-training purposes (if you want); having a good income on these machines is a neat side-effect - plus: don't sell premium tanks.
  • [WHEN YOU PLAY WoT: BE IN SHAPE] Playing WoT on a higher than just average level is quite demanding. Maybe you are sick, don't feel well, having something else on your mind or you start seeing tanks everywhere, and think: nah, I am fine and I play a few games. Don't do it. You will suck most of the times. And sucking is bad, not just for your statistics but foremost: for the enjoyment you should gain out of the game. And when you have bad losing plus worse performing streaks: take a break, exit the game and read a book, buy flowers for your partner, go for a walk with the dog in the park, watch a movie, do some gardening, do some sports, etc. pp. All these little things, which you would do if you wouldn't be logged in. And when you return the next time: you'll feel much better and you will outclass your enemies.
In the next section I want to list some more detailed, less abstract advice, which gets easily overlooked or forgotten. You can use the following as check-list for yourself:
BLIND SPOTS
  • Server-sided [RETICLE] should be always enabled > In-game > Settings > Game > Enable server reticle [x]. This is of course up to your personal preference.
  • Your mini-map should have some level of transparency as you want to have as much [VISION] as possible > In-game > Settings > Game > Mini-map transparency bar [x].
  • Remember that you can easily adjust the size of your [MINI-MAP] in battle by pressing - or + (alternatively: - and =).
    • You can also customize the relevant in-game controls > In-game > Settings > Controls.
  • For random battles, I recommend to disable [ASSAULT]-mode. Why? This game-mode requires in random battles the most 'team-play', which can not be taken for granted. But maybe you like the challenge > In-game > Settings > Game > Random battle types > Assault [ ].
  • You should know the in-game hot-keys for the quick [COMMANDS] F1 - F8 and when to use them.
  • You should know the different types of [AMMUNITION] (Wiki-Article). As rule of thumb: when shooting at targets, where you have penetration problems, switch to HE-ammunition, but not in peek-a-boo situations (poor damage-trading balance).
  • For [PEEK-A-BOO] situation try to apply, that you only want to face enemies, which have less Alpha-Damage than you. Otherwise you make a bad deal.
  • Practically you do not need more than one [CAMOUFLAGE-NET] and one times [BINOCULAR TELESCOPE]. You can demount and switch them between your tanks - without any costs.
    • You can also make good deals during occasional specials and buy equipment in advance, especially those which are of high usage for medium and heavy tanks, such as Vertical Stabilizers, Improved Ventilation, Gun/Shell Rammer, Gun Laying Drives, Coated Optics and more.
  • Manage your [CONSUMABLES]; those are quite frequently on specials as well and you can stock-pile those.
  • Slots for your [GARAGE] and [BARRACKS] are in comparison rather expensive in my opinion: buy them during specials and plan a little bit ahead.
  • The perk [6TH SENSE] does not grant you the ultimate insurance for reacting in time. Keep in mind, that there is (currently) a three seconds delay, and a lot of guns might possibly aim towards your team's general direction and positions anyways. Plus: even if you immediately drive behind cover - you will remain spotted on the enemy's mini-map for (currently) at least eight more seconds. Play safe whenever possible, don't fully rely on 6th sense and once you are spotted: re-position for ten seconds or more.
  • It can not be stressed enough as a lot of mediocre players seem to forget: the common perk [BROTHERS IN ARMS] comes only into affect, if:
    • applied on all crew-members and
    • it has reached 100%.
    • The gained bonus is around 2%+ for all attributes of your crew and the specific tank; to name a few: view range, reload-time/RoF, speed, aim-time, etc.
  • On a tank with elite-status you can enable [ACCELERATE CREW TRAINING] by ticking the box above the tank's crew. This results in, that the 'least' experienced crew-member gets doubled experience for a battle. Which crew-member is currently benefiting from it, can be seen by that little golden symbol next to the % of training level. This can be very effective when combined with playing (featured tanks) during specials and the level of your crew-skills will sky-rocket.
  • Another way to check if your economy is in balance and you keep everything in order: Click on your in-game [DEPOT] and have a look what tank-modules you have laying around and don't need anymore. It is an easy way to get here and there a couple of ten-thousands, if not some hundred-thousands of additional cash.
  • If you have the patience: never use [FREE EXPERIENCE] to unlock the next higher tier tank (or even skipping tanks). It is far more optimal for you, to have more free Experience for unlocking urgently needed modules on newly purchased tanks in order to not drive around on 'stock'.
  • Remember that [TANK-CREWS] can be switched between regular tanks and the premium tank of the same tank class - without suffering from any penalties and thus you have no need to retrain them for credits (or gold). Make sure, you train your crews extensively, especially on tanks you like and valuable tanks for competitive team-play.
  • Defending vs. capturing: if you are in a position to make the choice - always choose to [DEFEND].
  • [ROLL OUT WITH BETTER PLAYERS] than you. Not for the reason to tank some win-rate, but to actually learn by being challenged and supported at the same time. You will 'die' more often than them, switch into their perspective, watch and learn, ask for advice.
  • For effective [FIRING ON THE MOVE] (1) you should only fire at the enemy tank, when its silhouette is completely filling your reticle: thus you have the highest chance to hit.
  • For effective [FIRING ON THE MOVE] (2) auto-aim assists your shots, though the 'jumps' may cause unnecessary misses.
  • [AT LONG DISTANCES YOU SOMETIMES DO NOT WANT USE SNIPER-MODE] because the game-script is aiming for you. This is foremost relevant against targets, which are hard to penetrate effectively.
  • When you hold down CTRL and hover your mouse-cursor over the leaderboard, the [SPECIFIC TANK GETS HIGHLIGHTED ON THE MINI-MAP]. (Yes, there are mods, which show you the last position of a spotted enemy. As it is not sure, if this mods will be still allowed in the future, this is an old-school method to gain maximum information out of the mini-map.)
  • Due to server-sided information normalization (where you aim at vs. aiming information on its way to the server) your [CHANCES TO HIT AND PENETRATE, ARE INCREASED WHEN YOU WAIT ROUGHLY ONE SECOND] even after your aim-time has finished.
  • [The LINE OF SIGHT IS AFFECTING YOUR LINE OF FIRE AS WELL]. Sometimes it might be useful to switch between the gunner's perspective (zoom-mode) and the Commander's perspective (default outside tank view) when trying to take shots at well covered targets, or when trying to use your cover as best as possible too.
  • Always have [1-3 HE-SHELLS] with you for the purpose of being able [TO DECAP IN TIME].
  • When playing as heavy tank and rolling out of base you sometimes see within the first minute enemy scouts trying to break through. Help taking it down rather than continue rolling, staying stationary and spamming pings on the Mini-map.
  • to be continued...
To make things a little bit more practical, I decided to 'undress' for practical examples:
CASE STUDY I - VICTORY [8.5]
Spoiler                     
CASE STUDY II - DEFEAT [8.5]
Spoiler                     
CASE STUDY III - VICTORY KOLOBANOV[8.7]
Spoiler                     

Quick rewind of all the aforementioned:
WRAP UP
  • The above written [GENERAL ADVICE] is meant for players, who are 'below-average', 'average' and 'good', have their first 1.000-4.000 games (maybe even more) and simply want to improve. These types of players have read beginner guides (!) and see/read/watch pro-players performing, but cannot really excel in their own game-play, thus: experiencing a mixture of having fun playing, but not gaining sufficient satisfaction out of their own performance. A lot of basics have been kept out as I take them for granted (props to PanzerFenris) for the target audience.
  • The [BLIND SPOTS] should remind you of some more practical details, which come in handy if followed thoroughly.
  • The [CASE STUDIES] hopefully help you to see, that you do not need to be overall top-notch to perform well and positively surprise your enemies and allies in demanding battles.
Some more links...
MORE ADVICE
Some more notes, thoughts and sources of information about what could help you becoming a better player:
Make sure, you read the forum-section you are currently in. Selection:
  • [STANDARD-TACTICS] As one example I want to name Tazilon's Guide as on his web-site you not only find a lot of the probably best information about scouting, but also a fantastic overview about the standard-tactics for every map. You should inhale these standard tactics so that even when you're blind-folded you could still advise a friend on where he or she should go on certain maps when asked. (Cross-referencing to advice Nr. 5)
  • [IN-GAME DIVERSITY] Another very noteworthy guide was written by MaterielDefender who gave an in-depth overview about the attributes of each playable nation in WoT. (Cross-referencing to advice Nr. 6)
  • [ECONONMY] Manage your in-game budget! (Cross-referencing to advice Nr. 9). Also note, that making use of the official WoT-specials is a great way to boost your in-game budget; therefore also keep an eye on the weekend-specials with reduced purchase-prices and increased incomes on selected tanks. There might be tanks which just fit in your grinding - or maybe there are tanks on special, which you drove ages ago - and sucked on them: re-buy them, polish your stats on them by applying your learning gained over time and benefit from the special credit-multiplier.
  • [CREW] Apart from your own skill-level, probably the biggest trigger of a tank's performance is the crew. Make sure you really have fitting skills and perks selected. There is an insightful topic (kudos to fatkiddown), which will help you in understanding and learning about your crew skills and perks.
    • It can not be stressed enough, how important a good tank crew is. I'd say, that a tank's performance is probably dependent to 75% on the player's level of skill - and to 15% on the crew (last 5%: equipment, modules, consumables).
  • [DATABASE] As pointed out, you should think about educating yourself apart from just in-game=WASD+mouseclicks. There is a fascinating encyclopedia by Ectar waiting for you to be explored, covering almost all relevant fan-based projects around and contributions to WoT. You find there a vast selection of live-streamers and a video-portfolio from exceptionally skilled players: watch them play & learn.
  • [ADVANCED MICRO] Make yourself familiar with advanced concepts like side-scrapping, going hull-down, peek-a-boo, using gun-depression, how to turn around corners, etc. To know those are vital for you in all battles.
  • [TUTORIALS] And please: watch the WG-videos about WoT! The tutorial-videos are very educational (a very good basis for your 'general education in WoT').
  • [MODIFICATIONS] Rarely in-game, more often with befriended players and quite regularly in the forums you encounter discussions about the usage of in-game mods. One of the most controversially discussed mods is XVM. My personal recommendation is, that it is a great 'tool' helping you to become better - for so many reasons, stated already by smarter minds than me. For mods in general and XVM in particular you should pay attention to this forum-section.
  • [MANNERS] Don't be or become a hater, just because you see others get away with it! A rather disconcerting amount of players in WoT are showing bad manners with partially disgustingly inappropriate comments and attitudes. Regardless if it is towards WarGaming, team-matesor enemies. Really guys? In a game? You have in-game the function to 'ignore' and 'report' players; use it.
    • In case you are experiencing an extreme case of violation, you can do more than just use the 'report'-function and submit a ticket (best with replay file).
  • Don't whine about the [MATCHMAKING]. Here is a nice example of how things used to be (thanks to Fichtenmoped).
  • [RongoMatane's General Tips] for playing WoT on wottactics.com (direct link to Guide).
Last, but not least:
HOW TO INCREASE YOUR RATING
If in particular you follow advice Number 3. and averagely deal as much damage as your own hit-points during a battle, you will be on the right track. I observed, that several players were stating, that 'playing for rating' vs. 'playing for fun' is an issue for them. My humble opinion is, that the different tools of measuring a player's in-game performance are nothing but applied common sense of what you should do anyways. It might be fun to do a suicidal rush in a heavy tank - but only for you in that moment; your opponents embrace the free lunch and the 14 players on your team will have to compensate for what you think is fun? That is selfish stubbornness. I'd say, that the definition of fun might be varying, but trying to justify a reckless game-play being fun is just a cheap and weak excuse. Playing well, getting acknowledgement for your contribution should commonly bring you more satisfaction, honors - and 'fun'.
In the german speaking part of the community forums I found this very enlightening topic by OfenOlaf (awesome work!), who had an in-depth look at the formula for the WN6-rating. This majorly applies to WN7 as well, which is why I include it as a practical guide. Legend & general assumptions:
  • You spot at least one enemy
  • You decap at least for one point
  • Battle-tier
    • Rating you gain for: number of killed enemies, amount of damage dealt
  • Tier I:
    • 1.800 WN6: 5 Kills, 480 Damage
    • 2.000 WN6: 5 Kills, 620 Damage
  • Tier II:
    • 1.800 WN6: 3 Kills, 570 Damage
    • 2.000 WN6: 4 Kills, 480 Damage
  • Tier III:
    • 1.800 WN6: 3 Kills, 450 Damage
    • 2.000 WN6: 3 Kills, 640 Damage
  • Tier IV:
    • 1.800 WN6: 3 Kills, 800 Damage
    • 2.000 WN6: 3 Kills, 560 Damage
  • Tier V:
    • 1.800 WN6: 2 Kills, 800 Damage
    • 2.000 WN6: 2 Kills, 1.090 Damage
  • Tier VI:
    • 1.800 WN6: 2 Kills, 800 Damage
    • 2.000 WN6: 2 Kills, 1150 Damage
  • Tier VII:
    • 1.800 WN6: 2 Kills, 980 Damage
    • 2.000 WN6: 2 Kills, 1.410 Damage
  • Tier VIII:
    • 1.800 WN6: 2 Kills, 1.220 Damage
    • 2.000 WN6: 2 Kills, 1.750 Damage
  • Tier IX:
    • 1.800 WN6: 2 Kills, 1.520 Damage
    • 2.000 WN6: 2 Kills, 2.190 Damage
  • Tier X:
    • 1.800 WN6: 2 Kills, 1.900 Damage
    • 2.000 WN6: 2 Kills, 2.720 Damage
Which tanks might be suitable for achieving a good battle performance, is (of course) totally up to you.
IN A NUTSHELL
TL;DR: Do some research [Knowlegde-Base]. Play more focused [Play by Mini-map, maximize damage output and increase survivability]. Profit!

Closing note...
Hopefully one of you, who read until here found something use- and helpful of which she/he was not aware of or of which I could convince her/him. And if you have a smile on your face, because one of the .gif's or pictures is still open in another tab of yours, I am happy to have produced some entertainment. My overall motivation in writing this little guide is, that I would like to see more capable players out there on the battleground. Sometimes, when watching allies, I think: damn it, if they would know a little bit more this battle could have been better - and it reminds me of myself. I am not a naturally talented 'gamer' nor 'tanker' and I made the experience that most of you out there have a similar real-life job/study/school/w.e. and therefore can not compensate their lack of talent with endless 'learning by doing', but: you are ambitious and strive to become better. This guide was for you guys.
Thank you for your attention and your feedback is very welcome (either by voting, private message or reply).
GL & HF

-Fuel-
P.S. And if you struggle to find the right justification for playing WoT, I want to share with you this hilarious video - which is dedicated to (and originally shared by) Mr. Fees, who hardcore carried&taught me a lot of what you found above:

[CHANGELOG]:
Spoiler                     
[MODS I USE]
Spoiler                     

Edited by akaFuel, 22 August 2013 - 03:47 AM.

fees #2 Posted 26 May 2013 - 06:24 PM

Private

• Player
  • 36975 battles
  • [SAMPI] SAMPI
Awesome post mr. Fuel, although i'm not sure the 'newcomer's forum' is the right place for this.
I'd say the info is valuable to basically any player that wants to improve, not just new players.
http://forum.worldof...-and-tutorials/ could have been a better spot, perhaps?

Slyspy #3 Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:41 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 15858 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Nice stuff!

akaFuel #4 Posted 27 May 2013 - 07:52 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 41457 battles

View PostakaFuel, on 26 May 2013 - 12:43 PM, said:

Edit 1: Fixed Image-links; thank you for the votes; appreciated.
Edit 2: Corrected some typos and implemented the section Blind Spots. Thank you very much for two private messages, the responses here and the votes; appreciated.
Thank you again.

Togg #5 Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:43 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 18541 battles

• Play to perform! By that I mean: being not strictly focused on winning a game, but trying to pull off a really 'good' performance by you. The outcome of a random battle is dependent on more than just yourself: however: you can increase (good) or decrease (bad) the probabilities for a victory. The better you perform, the more likely it is, that your impact during the battle is turning the odds into your team's favor - and you eventually succeed. My definition of performance in cardinal order: (I.) damage, (II.) be mini-map aware, (III.) help your team-mates, (IV.) don't be selfish, (V.) ignore the trolls/spammers/haters/ignorants and concentrate on your own game-play.
  • Try to survive! The longer you survive during a battle, the better - regardless in which tank. Please note though: by this I mean anything, but being passive or approaching the battle in a camping style. Don't be a coward, when the battle calls for your contribution. A lot of really 'good games' I have seen were decided by one the simple thing: the side, which still had more hit-points wins the battle (exceptions are granted).
  • Damage, damage, damage! As rule of thumb: try to dish out damage at least equal to your own hit-points. You could see each battle as nothing but an accumulation of hit-points allocated in different variations (tanks) per side. So, be a valuable part of your team and inflict some serious pain to your enemies.
  • Do not play too many tanks at once! It is tempting to just quit to garage once your tank is nothing but a wreckage, clicking through the garage, selecting another tank and pressing 'battle' immediately again. If you are not a good, very good, great, unicum player: don't do it, please. As many players already stated, this kind of WoT-playing might confuse you more than you are actually aware of. Switching in tiers and tank-classes in a rapid succession takes away a lot of chances for you to learn - and to improve.

Just quoting from the list, those two in my opinion feel like really critical ones. I have a select few tanks that I do try to play a bit every day but the playstyle is fairly similar. On special weekends 5x first victory xp I sometimes will try to deal with most if not all tanks in the garage. But in those cases I usually go by tank type and nation due to having a fairly similar playstyle and mindset. It may sound silly but its really quite true that hopping from tank to tank is a bad idea, also I know I logged out a bit grumpily every now and feeling bad about how the games that day went thinking I lost way more than I won etc. But after many days of these I notice on things like noobmeter that the last 7 days weren't even bad (the usual 55% ish winrate that I get solo in randoms lately, regarding old stats over 12k of my games were played on an old laptop that would run 5-15 fps and a less patient playstyle due to that).

I have considered to install xvm but decided not to, don't want to see too many stats floating around and just play to the best that I can. If I want to look things up I'll just check that specific person on noobmeter. I also started writing down the total battles and wins before I start playing games and then check afterwards, except on the really short sessions I've not had a case where more than 50% of the games were lost even though it may sometimes feel that way when things go badly a few games in a row some unlucky arty oneshots or fires etc. This is just human nature to remember the bad better than the good about, if however the statistics also indicate its less than 50% you might want to reconsider your playstyle it really doesn't take much to hit that average.

Follow the majority of the first points OP suggested and you'll probably make a lot of progress towards it, watch the rest of the game or if you really do feel like jumping into another tank pick one of a style you're very familiar with or preferably a similar one to your own. But the key is really, survive while being useful to the team and above all have fun and enjoy the games. Good or bad player, as long as you have fun playing and try to do your best and learn new things thats all that can be expected. Beginners have a steep learning curve, the basics of the game aren't hard but there are a lot of little details to learn about particular tanks how they handle, where the weak spots are and slowest of all :D training up nice crews for your favourite tanks. (Focus, focus don't branch out everywhere this'll sort your crews)

Gassernorm #6 Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:02 AM

Private

• Player
  • 6377 battles
I appreciate the time and effort you spent on this great post. As someone who is now trying to improve stats I find this information you shared of great value and wish to say thank you.

KawaGreen #7 Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:12 AM

Lieutenant

• Clan Diplomat
  • 13327 battles
  • [PIZZA] PIZZA
Good job! Unfortunately 90% of the player base don't know about the forums  :sad:

ChroTal #8 Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:20 AM

Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 19190 battles
This is a very good post. Kudos and +1 to OP.

BUT, you need to realize that the biggest audience for these infos will:

A) not know or never read the forums
B) belong to tl;dr fraction, too lazy to read more than 2 lines of text
C) be ignorant as f*** and tell you to stf*

We can only hope some will use the useful information though  :sceptic:

Elkerlyc #9 Posted 27 May 2013 - 10:50 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 39050 battles
  • [4FEAR] 4FEAR
+1 from me.
For myself I already knew but will try to REALLY 'specialise' more.
(play the same tank more often until I 'know and feel' it the way I do with my fave tanks)
I have far too many tanks and try all too often to double them all.

Gancelot #10 Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:02 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 28794 battles
  • [D0GEC] D0GEC

[MANNERS] Don't be or become a hater, just because you see others get away with it! A rather disconcerting amount of players in WoT is showing bad manners with partially disgustingly inappropriate comments and attitudes. Regardless if it is towards WarGaming, team-mates or enemies. Really guys? In a game? You have in-game the function to 'ignore' and 'report' players; use it.

Problem is there is a limit to the number of people you can ignore. And it's a hassle removing the ignore because you have to do that individually. Nice guide though as people stated the audience that needs it most will not see it sadly.

thedauphin #11 Posted 27 May 2013 - 07:58 PM

Private

• Player
  • 1660 battles

View Postfees, on 26 May 2013 - 06:24 PM, said:

Awesome post mr. Fuel, although i'm not sure the 'newcomer's forum' is the right place for this.
I'd say the info is valuable to basically any player that wants to improve, not just new players.
http://forum.worldof...-and-tutorials/ could have been a better spot, perhaps?

Maybe >tutorials< would be the more appropriate place for that, but - since this guide seems kinda aimed at me: with roughly a thousand battles I still read this forum quite regularly, while I seldom check the other one.

Thanks for the effort, Mr Fuel!

azenjood #12 Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:20 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 14972 battles
  • [GOT] GOT
Really nice guide but I have a small addition to your already impressive list:

- Turn off: Enable Vehicle vibration in Sniper mode ( You can find it at > In-game > Settings > Game)
This option doesn't get mentioned often in the forums so I think I'd point it out. If you turn this option ON every time you're in sniper mode your aim jumps upwards if you get hit. It can get really annoying if an autoloader or pz 1c shoots you repeatedly. The option adds some realism to the game, but if you want to increase your performance you better turn it off.

Also patch 8.6 adds an interesting option:

- Added a compensation mode for vehicle movement in Sniper mode (this can be enabled in the game settings by selecting the ‘Use dynamic camera’ option)
I don't know how it works but looks like this option makes it easier to shoot in sniper mode while on the move. Definitely worth it to keep an eye on it.

akaFuel #13 Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:20 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 41457 battles

View PostTogg, on 27 May 2013 - 08:43 AM, said:

[...]
Thank you for your longer reply (I cut the text out though). I totally agree, that specials where you'd receive a x5 Bonus per tank (and crew experience) is something extraordinary, which I have not covered. Somehow I feel it rather stressful to then click through the garage and play 20+ tanks just to get the bonus.
About XVM I want to state, that I do not feel pressured if the odds are not favoring my side. It helps me: either to play a bit more conservatively or when my side is clearly favoured I am inclined to experiment a little bit more in positioning and rather unconventional manuevers.
Your last sentence about focusing on the crew-training: included now in the OP with more emphasis.

View PostGassernorm, on 27 May 2013 - 09:02 AM, said:

I appreciate the time and effort you spent on this great post. As someone who is now trying to improve stats I find this information you shared of great value and wish to say thank you.
Thank you: I really hope, the guide will help you a little bit. And if it really does, I would be happy about a feedback after some time. GL HF!

View PostKawaGreen, on 27 May 2013 - 09:12 AM, said:

Good job! Unfortunately 90% of the player base don't know about the forums :sad:
Thank you! You guys rock, as commonly known, so your feedback is highly appreciated. About the lack of players paying attention to the forums: those, who really dare will sooner or later find their way to the sources of helpful information. I have faith and optimism.

View PostChroTal, on 27 May 2013 - 09:20 AM, said:

This is a very good post. Kudos and +1 to OP.

BUT, you need to realize that the biggest audience for these infos will:

A) not know or never read the forums
B) belong to tl;dr fraction, too lazy to read more than 2 lines of text
C) be ignorant as f*** and tell you to stf*

We can only hope some will use the useful information though :sceptic:
Thank you for the compliment! About the audience: true, but I thought, I give it a try.

View PostElkerlyc, on 27 May 2013 - 10:50 AM, said:

+1 from me.
For myself I already knew but will try to REALLY 'specialise' more.
(play the same tank more often until I 'know and feel' it the way I do with my fave tanks)
I have far too many tanks and try all too often to double them all.
Thank you! You seem to have a lot of in-game experience, so I am honored that I might have pointed out somehting use-/helpful for you.

View PostGancelot, on 27 May 2013 - 11:02 AM, said:

Problem is there is a limit to the number of people you can ignore. And it's a hassle removing the ignore because you have to do that individually. Nice guide though as people stated the audience that needs it most will not see it sadly.
Yes, on some days I run out of 'ignore' and 'report' options before the first hour of pubbing is over. But there are also better days, so: not everything is lost. And 'hungry' minds will the sooner or later come across a guide (not necessarily this one).

View Postthedauphin, on 27 May 2013 - 07:58 PM, said:

Maybe >tutorials< would be the more appropriate place for that, but - since this guide seems kinda aimed at me: with roughly a thousand battles I still read this forum quite regularly, while I seldom check the other one.

Thanks for the effort, Mr Fuel!
Thank you - maybe I should contact one of the moderators and ask for moving this topic. I wait a little bit more to find out, if the topic as such is more than just a 'textual' hot spot for a handful of days.

View Postazenjood, on 27 May 2013 - 08:20 PM, said:

Really nice guide but I have a small addition to your already impressive list:

- Turn off: Enable Vehicle vibration in Sniper mode ( You can find it at > In-game > Settings > Game)
This option doesn't get mentioned often in the forums so I think I'd point it out. If you turn this option ON every time you're in sniper mode your aim jumps upwards if you get hit. It can get really annoying if an autoloader or pz 1c shoots you repeatedly. The option adds some realism to the game, but if you want to increase your performance you better turn it off.

[...]
Thank you for the suggestions! I included your notion about the vibration in sniper mode. It's interesting, because I thought of it, when looking at my in-game settings, but could not recall if this was enabled by default - or not. To be on the safe side: I included it now. Thank you again for pointing this out.
About patch 8.6: I read that as well and it looks promising, although I have not felt the current setting as being very disadvantageous. I wait until the patch is live to evaluate this.

Thank you for your constructive feedback; replies, votes, private messages. That really surprises me. I thought, I sit down, write stuff down, post it and ended up thinking about noteworthy points and put into writing for several hours with the feeling: this is bigger than I assumed it would be and I am sure, I forgot a lot, but now I simply post it. I did not expect that kind of positive response. Highly appreciated and thank you very much.

The OP is updated, what exactly you find at the bottom of it, marked as 'edits'.
Gratitude & Appreciation

-Fuel-

NoWayAroundIt #14 Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:37 AM

Private

• Player
  • 327 battles
Well written, and really interesting! Thank you for putting this together :)

Technocrat_Prime #15 Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:44 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Beta Tester
  • 33107 battles
  • [-TCC-] -TCC-

View Postazenjood, on 27 May 2013 - 08:20 PM, said:

Very, very bad move. It only turns of the DISPLAY of vehicle movement due to recoil, IT DOES NOT cancel the effect. If you switch it off, you to not know when your vehicle has come to rest and so you are very likely to fire too early.

Cornelius_Constantine #16 Posted 28 May 2013 - 04:38 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 7184 battles
Great guide, should be a sticky!

CarlR #17 Posted 29 May 2013 - 02:50 AM

Warrant Officer

• Veteran
  • 345 battles
Moved to Guides section and Pinned

akaFuel #18 Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:19 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 41457 battles

View PostNoWayAroundIt, on 28 May 2013 - 09:37 AM, said:

Well written, and really interesting! Thank you for putting this together :)
Thank you very much! I hope you enjoy your forthcoming tanking career a little bit more now.

View PostTechnocrat_Prime, on 28 May 2013 - 10:44 AM, said:

Very, very bad move. It only turns of the DISPLAY of vehicle movement due to recoil, IT DOES NOT cancel the effect. If you switch it off, you to not know when your vehicle has come to rest and so you are very likely to fire too early.
Hm, I am not sure about that. I would expect the here targeted audience to know whether they are moving or standing still when using sniper-mode.

View PostCornelius_Constantine, on 28 May 2013 - 04:38 PM, said:

Great guide, should be a sticky!
Thank you as well! Hopefully you get something out of it, making you reach the 'green zone' soon.

View PostCarlR, on 29 May 2013 - 02:50 AM, said:

Moved to Guides section and Pinned
Wow! Many thank you's! I will try to come up with some more content then over time.

D34DSH0T #19 Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:08 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 76393 battles
  • [AAV] AAV

View PostTechnocrat_Prime, on 28 May 2013 - 10:44 AM, said:

I think your winrate, avg. damage/battle etc reflect that you might wanna take some of the advice Fuel is giving you here., instead of saying that they're bad.
Being a beta tester doesn't automaticly make you a good and/or knowledgable player, the case of you showcases that more than sufficiently. Not trying to be harsh here, but I honestly think you are wrong and your statement should be ignored by anyone trying to improve their gameplay  :tongue:

Fuel, you rock man, I wish every player would read this guide of yours, it is truely worth the time, and reading it should be usefull for players at any lvl - gj m8  :great:

KLguns #20 Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:43 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 54052 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Hello Fellow-tankers,

Don't buy premium tanks which are higher in tier than your own game-experience! Do all WoT-players a big favour and don't buy (i.e.) a Tier VIII. premium tank, when you have not reached Tier VIII. with your regular tanks. You will cause infinite rage for your team-mates, will be farmed by your enemies, your stats will be horrible - and most important: no-one will be more disappointed than you about that battle, where you wanted to roll with the big boys and before you knew what happened: your tank is a wreckage, the chat is full of insults and maybe you even get after-battle-hate in private channels from players. I made that mistake. Many others did it as well. No need for you to repeat it. Take your time to explore the game and its mechanics. Be patient and you'll become much 'faster' a 'good' rated player than an old fart like me. And once you fully understand how much difference a skilled crew on a tank can make: get your premium-tank for crew-training purposes (if you want); having a good income on these machines is a neat side-effect.

Nice, a great guide, and lets hope that even some players would LEARN the point 9, quoted above. +1 for you

Edited by KLguns, 29 May 2013 - 11:43 AM.

Also tagged with Guide

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users