Chaffee light tank

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
65 replies to this topic

Harabeishio #61 Posted 12 August 2013 - 01:27 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 76 battles
How does one in a chaffee fend of other tier 7 and 8 light tanks? They seem to hand my ass off to me, and they have the same bloody MM. What can I do?

3Form #62 Posted 12 August 2013 - 02:14 PM

Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 18261 battles

View PostHarabeishio, on 12 August 2013 - 01:27 PM, said:

How does one in a chaffee fend of other tier 7 and 8 light tanks? They seem to hand my ass off to me, and they have the same bloody MM. What can I do?

You can't really.

When the AMX 13 75 was tier 6 you could take him, if you could lure him into fighting on the move (chasing you) since his accuracy on the move is terrible and he'll need to hit 5/6 or so of his shots, so once he missed two he was yours.
13 90 was undoable when tier 7 since a couple of shots finished you.
I generally don't try and fight either now they've both been beefed up.

At least I wouldn't get into a brawl with them, but if you can snipe them at a distance, say from hull down then it might be doable? Same for the WZs, you don't want to get into close quarters with them either.

T71? yikes. Ye who fights and runs away, lives to fight another day and all that.

basin79 #63 Posted 12 August 2013 - 02:28 PM

General

• Player
  • 15461 battles

View PostHarabeishio, on 12 August 2013 - 01:27 PM, said:

You can't. Ideally your team takes them out before they spot you. If they're making a B line for your arty though you should be able to hammer them on the move.

Harabeishio #64 Posted 12 August 2013 - 02:59 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 76 battles

View Postbasin79, on 12 August 2013 - 02:28 PM, said:

You can't. Ideally your team takes them out before they spot you. If they're making a B line for your arty though you should be able to hammer them on the move.

Well thats very fair to the Chaffee... most often its the only tier 5 scout in the battle. All others are tier 7 or 8. The US scout line needs new tanks and a redesign...

basin79 #65 Posted 12 August 2013 - 03:56 PM

General

• Player
  • 15461 battles

View PostHarabeishio, on 12 August 2013 - 02:59 PM, said:

Well thats very fair to the Chaffee... most often its the only tier 5 scout in the battle. All others are tier 7 or 8. The US scout line needs new tanks and a redesign...

The whole MM is messed up massively.

maxcromwell #66 Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:35 AM

Private

• Player
  • 30836 battles
  • [FIFO] FIFO

View PostHarabeishio, on 11 August 2013 - 11:58 AM, said:

Yeah but shooting with the Chaffee never went well for me, because shooting ruins my camo and i get immediately shot by vengefull people who dont want to be scouted anymore. T71's view range is 400m aswell, and its long reload is only when it busts 6 rounds in a row, something that you rarely can do with a chaffee without getting shot in turn.

I actually find the camo value while firing to be the Chaffee´s biggest advantage / T71´s biggest disadvantage. From a bush without a camo net the Chaffee can reliably fire at a top tier tank from 250m without being spotted. The T71 on the other hand will be spotted from past 350m with the camo net. I´ve only played around 150 games with the T71, so I haven´t found the precise safe firing distance yet, but you will be lit up if firing on the ridge road from the G4 bush in Highway. That´s about 360-370m out.

But generally I find these two can´t really be compared. The Chaffee can´t be beat as long as you bush scout early, stay alive, and mid-to-late-game find your hole to get arty or distract enemy tanks from the rear. I´ve found (so far) the T71 to be better in more of a hybrid TD role than a scouting one. It can pen just about everything, relocate quickly while reloading, and pop up again half a map away. Feel free to chalk it up to sub-par play, but I also hate fighting other lights in the T71. In the Chaffee you easily afford to miss a few shots and still knock them out. And since both you and the target are presumably moving at high speeds, missing a shot or two is likely. If you miss just a single shot with the T71 you are inta-toast as, even if you land the remainder of the clip, you just don´t have to damage capacity to kill an AMX 13 75 or a WZ-131 without having to wait for the 19 second reload.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users