SPG Artillery help aiming circle

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

Jack_E #1 Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:02 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 14836 battles
  • [TSN] TSN
Hi, I have a number of questions/problems about artillery, I apologize in advance if any of these are very simple.

- At the start of a game, while in the birds eye view, my aiming circle is a nice round shape, but as the battle progresses, it turns into a very long oval, and I find it much easier to aim with a rounded aiming circle, which is annoying.

- (I'm not sure if this is a bug) While moving my aiming circle around in the birds eye view, instead of the aiming circle staying in the centre of the screen, it seems to  wonder off screen, for example, I am scrolling left across the map, and suddenly the aiming circle stops, and doesn't follow the centre of the screen like it should.

kwk75l48 #2 Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:07 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 20355 battles
  • [TDC] TDC
the shape of the circle is dependant on the relative angle of the terrain under the circle at the time, eg aiming at a hill side makes it go oval.

the gun is taking time to catch up with the mouse swing as arty usually has to traverse its a bit slower than turrets usually are.

edit dependant

Edited by kwk75l48, 30 May 2013 - 08:07 PM.

Nekomancer #3 Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:48 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 11526 battles
Posted Image

The impact angle determines the dimensions of the circle. If the impact angle is low you get the oval shape.

MrE158 #4 Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:15 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 27844 battles
Nekomancer's diagram explains the shape of the aiming circle perfectly.

If the aiming circle isn't following your aimpoint, first check if you're lagging!

If not, the most likely reason is that your SPG can't turn its hull for some reason.  Two possible ways for this to happen - firstly, you could be stuck up against something, another tank or building or a rock or whatever, that's just in the way and means you can't turn.  Secondly, you may have activated the brakes (the default key is X) which would stop your hull traversing as well (it's sometimes handy to turn on your brakes so that you can move your aim around without risking accidentally moving the hull and thus triggering your aiming circle to expand).

conductiv #5 Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:53 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Beta Tester
  • 34753 battles
  • [FIFO] FIFO

View PostMrE158, on 31 May 2013 - 12:15 AM, said:

Nekomancer's diagram explains the shape of the aiming circle perfectly.

If the aiming circle isn't following your aimpoint, first check if you're lagging!

If not, the most likely reason is that your SPG can't turn its hull for some reason.  Two possible ways for this to happen - firstly, you could be stuck up against something, another tank or building or a rock or whatever, that's just in the way and means you can't turn.  Secondly, you may have activated the brakes (the default key is X) which would stop your hull traversing as well (it's sometimes handy to turn on your brakes so that you can move your aim around without risking accidentally moving the hull and thus triggering your aiming circle to expand).

yes neko's diagrams explain it almost perfectly, but kwk48 isn't wrong, terrain does affect the retractile shape as well,

hull lock or lag can be a reason the aiming circle doesn't follow the center crosshair like mrE states, but it could also be  that you passed the SPG's maximum range

Lord_Demon #6 Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:25 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 32892 battles

View PostNekomancer, on 30 May 2013 - 08:48 PM, said:

Posted Image

The impact angle determines the dimensions of the circle. If the impact angle is low you get the oval shape.
I know this is from the wiki, but I still think this is wrong.

First of all, arty will not fire on high angles, so shell coming down at 90 degrees is not realistic.

Second, what about a short but wide arc we sometimes see near extreme ranges? What does that mean?

My belief is that elongated circle is shallow angle, round circle is in the middle, probably around 30 degrees, and short but wide angle is close to 45 degrees.

kwk75l48 #7 Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:57 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 20355 battles
  • [TDC] TDC
also walls, ridges etc that would 'catch' the shell effect the shape

conductiv #8 Posted 31 May 2013 - 02:25 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Beta Tester
  • 34753 battles
  • [FIFO] FIFO

View PostLord_Demon, on 31 May 2013 - 01:25 PM, said:

I know this is from the wiki, but I still think this is wrong.

First of all, arty will not fire on high angles, so shell coming down at 90 degrees is not realistic.

Second, what about a short but wide arc we sometimes see near extreme ranges? What does that mean?

My belief is that elongated circle is shallow angle, round circle is in the middle, probably around 30 degrees, and short but wide angle is close to 45 degrees.

you are right, its not like we are using orbital cannons that shoot straight down, but its the closest representation between a high angle and a low angle shot that affects the retractile.

the optimal angle (where the circle is round) is probably 45+ degrees.

Shellblast #9 Posted 31 May 2013 - 02:32 PM

Private

• Player
  • 3682 battles
Another point to add which hasn't be mentioned but a lot of new spg players don't realise is the green line, this means that nothing is blocking your shell flight ie a mountain or buildings never fire a shot whilst the line is red, unless your working in a platoon and are attempting to demolish cover hope this helps

Lord_Demon #10 Posted 31 May 2013 - 04:54 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 32892 battles

View Postconductiv, on 31 May 2013 - 02:25 PM, said:

you are right, its not like we are using orbital cannons that shoot straight down, but its the closest representation between a high angle and a low angle shot that affects the retractile.

the optimal angle (where the circle is round) is probably 45+ degrees.

But if that was true, then what about the wide and short angle, that you get from the extreme ranges the gun can shoot?

That is more likely to be at 45 angle. The round one is below that.

Captain_Singleton #11 Posted 31 May 2013 - 05:04 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 23635 battles

View PostLord_Demon, on 31 May 2013 - 04:54 PM, said:

But if that was true, then what about the wide and short angle, that you get from the extreme ranges the gun can shoot?

That is more likely to be at 45 angle. The round one is below that.

i think this happens when you are at the very edge of the range, it seems to get wider (not as accurate at that range) and shorter (limits of the range)

Lord_Demon #12 Posted 31 May 2013 - 05:35 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 32892 battles

View Postdiavolo_rosso, on 31 May 2013 - 05:04 PM, said:

i think this happens when you are at the very edge of the range, it seems to get wider (not as accurate at that range) and shorter (limits of the range)

That is my belief too. And extreme range happens at angle of 45 degrees in this game (I think in reality it is about 50-55 due to air resistance).  So that would mean the wide short circle is the 45 degree angle.

Jack_E #13 Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:46 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 14836 battles
  • [TSN] TSN
Thanks for all the answers, they have helped me fix the problem!:) I must have been a bit of a derp and either positioned myself so I couldn't turn, or pressed "X" and locked my cross-hair.

Also tagged with SPG, Artillery, help, aiming circle

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users