• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

Jetser #1 Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:14 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 15354 battles
  • [NOFUN] NOFUN
Dear WoT players and tank fans,

I'm having a little side project, sort of a hobby where I'm trying to make my own tracked vehicle. Not heavily armored or gunned, but more some sort of tracked vehicle to do a bit driving with. I currently got some design with a sprung mass (everything not related to suspension, wheels, tracks etc.) of about 200kg. But now the tracks with suspension.

I have no idea how to dimension tracks or calculate sizes, weights, strengths or other parameters of tracks and supensions. I got a buddy who can probably fix me the parts if I can dimension main parts. Also materials for a relative light vehicle (compared to a tank) would probably allow me to use something else than pure metal tracks.

Do any of you have some experience with designing or building tracked vehicles, or got some site/source with info on this matter?
Many thanks!

Toxus #2 Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:19 PM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 6027 battles
Try to keep the pressure/area covered on the level of a human footprint
- Balanced
- No damage to environment (that's why they use wide tracks on logger vehicles used in the woodcutting industry, to minimise damage to the environment)
- won't wear out too quickly

Jetser #3 Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:30 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 15354 battles
  • [NOFUN] NOFUN

View PostToxus, on 02 June 2013 - 07:19 PM, said:

Try to keep the pressure/area covered on the level of a human footprint
- Balanced
- No damage to environment (that's why they use wide tracks on logger vehicles used in the woodcutting industry, to minimise damage to the environment)
- won't wear out too quickly
Ah thanks, that foot pressure is a good reference as it will probably driving on a somewhat looser terrain.

Do you have any clue how much the suspension with tracks will probably weight with a payload of 200kg?
I gotta take that into account for the calculation of pressure but I can't really compare it to a tank because it's so much lighter.

Toxus #4 Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:07 PM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 6027 battles

View PostJetser, on 02 June 2013 - 07:30 PM, said:

Do you have any clue how much the suspension with tracks will probably weight with a payload of 200kg?
I gotta take that into account for the calculation of pressure but I can't really compare it to a tank because it's so much lighter.

Depends on what kind of suspension & which material you're going to use.

Also tagged with project

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users