Enfield .303 with Bayonet

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

rk0r #1 Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:55 PM

Private

• Player
  • 2061 battles
Though i would share this with the forum, its a piece of history from WW1 the name of the rifle is .303” Martini Enfield MKI Artillery Carbine. There is also a scabbard and bayonet that were found with these rifles. One of the weapons has a horse etched on the but of the rifle associating it with the 6th Dragoon Guards.
If you believe you can shed more light on these rifles please post.. so far I have found out that the silver hall markings on the dagger relate to that of 1898 also it has been stamped with approval for war. There is also a VR hallmark on the blade that points to the correct era for Victoria Regina.
The condition is pretty good for being nearly 130 years old and found under the floorboard of an old farm house !

You can see the photos on my website  Here

Edited by rk0r, 11 June 2013 - 10:25 PM.

Tonyb1968 #2 Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:59 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 27420 battles
  • [TEC] TEC
It looks a bit like a martini henry, the "classic" SME (short muzzle Enfield) or the mk 1 Lee Enfield was the main service rifle for the British Army throughout the 1st and 2nd world war (there is also the mk 4 which had a slightly longer muzzle).
That rifle was the main stay of the British Army until it was replaced by the SLR (7.62mm).

Nice rifle, you need to work on your grouping though  :blinky:

rk0r #3 Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:41 PM

Private

• Player
  • 2061 battles

View PostTonyb1968, on 11 June 2013 - 09:59 PM, said:

It looks a bit like a martini henry, the "classic" SME (short muzzle Enfield) or the mk 1 Lee Enfield was the main service rifle for the British Army throughout the 1st and 2nd world war (there is also the mk 4 which had a slightly longer muzzle).
That rifle was the main stay of the British Army until it was replaced by the SLR (7.62mm).

Nice rifle, you need to work on your grouping though  :blinky:

The aiming on these weapons are so crazy you have to aim slightly off target and up depending on distance! haha
The bayonet is one scary piece of work, its shaped to kill and its still a sharp tip to this day, i am guessing they needed this if they missed the target or too slow to reload.

Hammerbolt #4 Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:15 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 33759 battles
  • [TEC] TEC
That's a Martini-Henry!
http://www.martinihenry.com/

It's easy to distinguish from the brit rifles: no magazine, and lever operated. They were replaced by the Lee-Metford and/or Lee-Enfield, rifles, which had magazines and NO lever (had bolt action).

Did a little checking on the history of the 6th Dragoon Guards. Is that farm in South Africa? Then you could have a relic from the Zulu or Boer wars. Before that, apparently, they only interviened in the Crimea, and that's almost 30 years before the Martini-Henri shows up.

rk0r #5 Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:34 PM

Private

• Player
  • 2061 battles

View PostHammerbolt, on 12 June 2013 - 03:15 PM, said:

That's a Martini-Henry!
http://www.martinihenry.com/

It's easy to distinguish from the brit rifles: no magazine, and lever operated. They were replaced by the Lee-Metford and/or Lee-Enfield, rifles, which had magazines and NO lever (had bolt action).

Did a little checking on the history of the 6th Dragoon Guards. Is that farm in South Africa? Then you could have a relic from the Zulu or Boer wars. Before that, apparently, they only interviened in the Crimea, and that's almost 30 years before the Martini-Henri shows up.

Thanks for the reply, the rifle is slightly different if you look along the forestock there is a piece of metal, the version i have does not have this. Also the bayonet has dates of 1898, i don't think these were made for the boer war or africa, i will have to clean up the rifle some more to see if there are any more distinguishable marks on there.
They were found in Ireland.
I love working out historic puzzles.

Hammerbolt #6 Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:51 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 33759 battles
  • [TEC] TEC

View Postrk0r, on 12 June 2013 - 07:34 PM, said:

Thanks for the reply, the rifle is slightly different if you look along the forestock there is a piece of metal, the version i have does not have this. Also the bayonet has dates of 1898, i don't think these were made for the boer war or africa, i will have to clean up the rifle some more to see if there are any more distinguishable marks on there.
They were found in Ireland.
I love working out historic puzzles.

The version you have is the artillery version, hence the diference:
http://www.byswordan...-henry-carbine/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users