They dinged us! Ffs.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
80 replies to this topic

TankMaster_Flash #41 Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:17 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 29061 battles
  • [CELL] CELL

Doesn't "They dinged us" mean something like they made our shell bounce?

No, it doesn't mean that at all.  'Dinged' is a synonym of 'dented', a ding is a dent, 'we just dinged them' means 'we just dented them'.  It is being played to mark events where it makes no sense whatsoever.

robertorolfo #42 Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:55 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 14842 battles

View PostBodyGuardOfLies, on 24 June 2013 - 06:36 PM, said:

You saved us!!! Rotflmao

You didn't get into the war until 1942. England stopped any threat of nazi invasion by winning total air supremacy during the Battle of Britain. Also you needn't pretend that you got involved to be our savior, you got involved because despite specific warnings from British intelligence you let the Japanese stroll around Hawaii unmolested sinking almost your entire Pacific fleet.

Your nation had pursued a policy of isolationism until that time much as you used to fund the IRA via Noraid unaware of the implications of domestic terrorism until McVay committed his atrocity. It is unlikely that the USA  would have entered the war until the nazi's influence in South America became more obvious to you but on the international diplomatic stage your nation is considered a child being comparatively new to the playground.

Undoubtedly the arrival of your manufacturing might and supply of fresh fighting men hastened the end of the war but for the love of god get over yourselves. The Hollywood spin machine would have us believe that John Wayne won the war well he did in fact not serve so you might want to conduct your historical research elsewhere.

Ha, I always loved to hear the skewed British version of events... the one where they were easily beating the Germans, and the Americans only provide dumb bodies and a bunch of material to put it over the top.

In reality, GB was doomed in the long run, as the Germans were simply regrouping to have another go (and this time it would have worked).   British soldiers were good, but not the best (by far the most effective soldiers on the allied side were American), British planes were OK, but not the best (all American bombers superior to the Lancaster, the Mustang far superior to the Spitfire...), ditto for just about every other piece of war material (M1 the best rifle).

No, the reality is that we saved your asses.  The reality is that we also humiliated the Japanese on land, in the sea and in the air.

The reality is that we handled the cold war brilliantly, eliminating the threat of dictatorial communist rule while also avoiding a nuclear holocaust.   Oh, and we put a damn man (or a bunch actually) on the moon, just for good measure!

If the Brits would simply learn to suck it up and enjoy us for the big brother figure that we are (the way Tony Blair did dog tricks for that moron G. Bush), you wouldn't have any problems and I would even cut you some slack.

Littlerift #43 Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:39 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 5415 battles

View Postrobertorolfo, on 24 June 2013 - 07:55 PM, said:

In reality, GB was doomed in the long run, as the Germans were simply regrouping to have another go (and this time it would have worked).

Placing almost half of your forces on the Eastern front is an odd form of regrouping.

If the Brits would simply learn to suck it up and enjoy us for the big brother figure that we are (the way Tony Blair did dog tricks for that moron G. Bush), you wouldn't have any problems and I would even cut you some slack.

Oh shut up your arrogant little bore. Nobody gives the tiniest damn about whether or not you're going to cut us slack. Indeed, I'd say that the fact you're spending your time leeching off the achievements of your ancestors means that nobody is even slightly inclined towards at all caring how much slack you're willing to grant.

Back to your original point, having American English as the default makes little sense for two main reasons. Firstly, American English is not the main form of English spoken in the world. Secondly, American English as a dialect was more similar to modern Received Pronunciation during World War II than it is to modern American English. In fact, World War II did quite a lot to change the American English dialect and differ it more from RP by creating more nationalist ideas within American society, which led to a mostly unconscious development that made the dialect more distinct. The diaspora of Europeans, especially European Jews, also changed the language. The main point, thought, is that American English would make little sense as the form of English used in World of Tanks.

More on topic: the 'They dinged us' line is incredibly irritating, and I can't believe it managed to get past any English speaking team members. The phrases when you lock on or disengage a target also annoy me, 'We lost them!' makes little sense, given that the enemy is usually only a few metres away.

LargeFeline #44 Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:18 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 9666 battles
When driving your tank and bam, you hear a mad women beating your tank with an iron stick,
*looks at health bar*
Posted Image

Adwaenyth #45 Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:44 PM

Major

• Player
  • 19572 battles
  • [F_D] F_D

View PostKratatch, on 24 June 2013 - 09:09 PM, said:

"They dinged us" when you shot sound just wrong.

They dinged us just seems wrong as the active form just doesn't fit. You can't be right as you can't actively "ding" a shell flying towards you, unless you're really lucky and have Jedi premoniton or something like that. Other than that a passive form would just suit more I think.

Gordie_Lachance #46 Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:25 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 47866 battles
  • [SAS-] SAS-

View Postrobertorolfo, on 24 June 2013 - 03:15 PM, said:

First of all, anyone saying that, "They Dinged Us" is acceptable (for a bounce) obviously isn't a native English speaker.  To native speakers it makes absolutely no sense (actually, it's counter-intuitive), and is simple horrible.   We are NOT the shell we just fired at the enemy tank.  At the most it could be "It dinged," but that's still not great.  

Ha, Yank gobbing off?  Get over yourself, seriously.  

While I do agree that American tanks should have American English speaking crew, Brit tanks Brit crews, and the other nations the appropriate accents while speaking English (if that is your language setting), you shouldn't cry if the default selected was American.

As you might suspect at this point, yes, I am a Yank.  An American... or, as I prefer, your savior.  Because yeah, I know it sounds pretentious, but we really did save your asses in WW2 (and everyone else that wasn't cool with the Nazi's, for that matter), so using American Eng. as the default is a logical choice.   Also American tanks and tankers were MUCH more noteworthy in WW2 than their British counterparts.   You were bit players, and now you want the starring role?   Nope...

Oh dear. Another misguided over opionated chap who thinks he is our saviour. Well, chum, we are massively grateful for the intervention of the US forces in WW2. It took you long enough to get involved. Meanwhile our quaint little nation stood alone against the Nazi scum (in Western Europe). If the UK had fallen the Bosch would have had a base to attack the Eastern seaboard of the USA, while the Japs would have been crawling ashore on the West. No bombs fell on mainland USA, no civilians ever had to bear the horror of that. Bit players? Unfortunately this sums up the mentality of a lot of Americans. British and commonwealth troops, not to mention those of almost every European country were fighting and dying while America invented obesity. Please seek out some US WW2 veterans and ask them if they thought they were the stars of the show. Isn`t it about time Hollywood remade the Battle of Britain replacing Spits and Hurri`s with Mustangs and Thunderbolts? I will always be grateful for the sacrifice ALL the men and women of ALL the nations involved in defeating the Nazis, but I will never have the time of day for someone with your egoistic opinions.

One other thing, you could argue for hours about which was better - Spitfire or Mustang - put simply they were both fantastic aeroplanes. One thing you can`t argue about is the addition of the Merlin engine into that airframe was a match made in heaven. But as this is WoT, not WoA, I will say that British tank doctrine was behind the curve. The Comet was the best we had but it came too late to have much influence (although in the desert in 40/41 the Matildas were excellent). The Germans had the Tiger and Panther (the old joke being "how many Panthers did it take to kill a Sherman?.....Five, one to kill the Sherman while the other 4 were broken down in a ditch), which were technologically superior but unreliable, the Soviets the mass produced and reliable T-34 and the US the Sherman in its many guises (although the amphibious version was an unmitigated disaster on D-Day). Anyway....I digress.

Edited by Firefly72, 24 June 2013 - 10:43 PM.

Baldrickk #47 Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:59 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 32395 battles
Well. The British tanks were a bit behind at the start of the war, one of the exceptions being the Matilda, but the American tank's were not much better. The Sherman was also vastly inferior to the German tanks. It was the British who ended up improving the design to make them effective (in the firefly) regardless of the fact that not that many entered service.
Also look at the Centurion and the conqueror, both were successful post war tanks that actually existed (developed shortly after, so not 'modern') like the Patton and M103. The Brit tanks were in service longer and had many more units produced because they were pretty good. Modified models of the centurion are still in operation in some parts of the world. Not bad for an 'inferior British tank'  Just looking at the design, you can see they have more in common with modern battle tanks, like the Abrams and Challenger II than any of the American tanks.

BodyGuardOfLies #48 Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:19 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 115796 battles

Ha, I always loved to hear the skewed British version of events...

I'm Irish, neutral and unbiased now as then  :blinky: .

Two Irish lads are talking about the poor state of Ireland's economy

"I have an idea on how to fix Ireland's financial problems" says Paddy
"What is that?" says Mick
"We start a war with the United States and when they win they will rebuild our roads and hospitals and schools like they always do so there will be work for all thus fixing our financial problems" says Paddy.
After a moments thought Mick says "But what if we win?"

Mr_Thursday #49 Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:51 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 22092 battles
What do you expect from a game that tags a Dice  as a Domino (At least the sculls are fixed)?

Capus #50 Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:13 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 38741 battles

View PostBodyGuardOfLies, on 24 June 2013 - 07:19 AM, said:

Whilst on my soapbox why when we bounce a shot do we get "They dinged us" when obviously we dinged them?
Look at it this way (even if i completely agree that this sounds weird):

in 8.5
'We dinged them'
implies:
You utterly dimwitted mumbling baboon, learn to aim, or go back to licking windows.

in 8.6
"They dinged us"
implies
The enemy is so epic that they even managed to bounce of our superduper aimed shell, oh, ye evil overlord.

So just imagine that instead of your crew insulting you for your bad aim, they now are complimenting the enemy for his angling (or luck :p). Yes the glass is half full

Edited by Capus, 25 June 2013 - 12:16 PM.

robertorolfo #51 Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:54 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 14842 battles
Lot's of nonsense to dissect here...

View PostFirefly72, on 24 June 2013 - 10:25 PM, said:

Oh dear. Another misguided over opionated chap who thinks he is our saviour. Well, chum, we are massively grateful for the intervention of the US forces in WW2. It took you long enough to get involved. Meanwhile our quaint little nation stood alone against the Nazi scum (in Western Europe). If the UK had fallen the Bosch would have had a base to attack the Eastern seaboard of the USA, while the Japs would have been crawling ashore on the West. No bombs fell on mainland USA, no civilians ever had to bear the horror of that. Bit players? Unfortunately this sums up the mentality of a lot of Americans. British and commonwealth troops, not to mention those of almost every European country were fighting and dying while America invented obesity. Please seek out some US WW2 veterans and ask them if they thought they were the stars of the show. Isn`t it about time Hollywood remade the Battle of Britain replacing Spits and Hurri`s with Mustangs and Thunderbolts? I will always be grateful for the sacrifice ALL the men and women of ALL the nations involved in defeating the Nazis, but I will never have the time of day for someone with your egoistic opinions.

As much as some Americans may overestimate their country's contribution to the war (and I am merely playing up this very real phenomenon), it absolutely pales in comparison to the British tendency to do the very same thing.

Many Americans like to believe that we did all the work, and while this isn't the truth, it's not a million miles away from it.  The British vision of their own contribution and war effort, however, is so utterly and completely overstated that it's downright laughable.

Sure, you rebuffed the first German attempt to take your island (or islands), but they would have succeeded in the next serious go.  In the meantime, they were peppering you with V-2's which you had no real response to.  Had American not become involved, it would only have been a matter of time.

And the UK serving as a staging point for Nazi attacks on the East Coast?  Are you kidding me?  It still wasn't close enough to be logistically viable, and the American Air Force was by far the most effective air force in the war.  The US would have mustered such a staunch fighter defense network that I doubt a single bomb could have found its target.

As for the Japs landing on the west coast... just more nonsense there.  We essentially fought the Japs alone in the Pacific, and even gave them a big head start before we got going (Pearl Harbor), but still had no problem defeating them soundly.

One other thing, you could argue for hours about which was better - Spitfire or Mustang - put simply they were both fantastic aeroplanes. One thing you can`t argue about is the addition of the Merlin engine into that airframe was a match made in heaven. But as this is WoT, not WoA

Actually no, you couldn't argue about it for hours... at least not with any objective person.  That's because in reality, not in the world of British colored (NOT coloured) glasses, the Mustang was far superior.  Come on now...

Gordie_Lachance #52 Posted 25 June 2013 - 03:53 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 47866 battles
  • [SAS-] SAS-

View Postrobertorolfo, on 25 June 2013 - 02:54 PM, said:

Lot's of nonsense to dissect here...

As much as some Americans may overestimate their country's contribution to the war (and I am merely playing up this very real phenomenon), it absolutely pales in comparison to the British tendency to do the very same thing.

Many Americans like to believe that we did all the work, and while this isn't the truth, it's not a million miles away from it.  The British vision of their own contribution and war effort, however, is so utterly and completely overstated that it's downright laughable.

Sure, you rebuffed the first German attempt to take your island (or islands), but they would have succeeded in the next serious go.  In the meantime, they were peppering you with V-2's which you had no real response to.  Had American not become involved, it would only have been a matter of time.

And the UK serving as a staging point for Nazi attacks on the East Coast?  Are you kidding me?  It still wasn't close enough to be logistically viable, and the American Air Force was by far the most effective air force in the war.  The US would have mustered such a staunch fighter defense network that I doubt a single bomb could have found its target.

As for the Japs landing on the west coast... just more nonsense there.  We essentially fought the Japs alone in the Pacific, and even gave them a big head start before we got going (Pearl Harbor), but still had no problem defeating them soundly.

Actually no, you couldn't argue about it for hours... at least not with any objective person.  That's because in reality, not in the world of British colored (NOT coloured) glasses, the Mustang was far superior.  Come on now...

I realise it`s pointless to argue with an American, because like Pvt Pile, they`re ignorant and stupid, but; Only around 1400 V2s hit the UK, accounting for approx 9000 deaths, far, far less than by conventional bombing. Strangely enough, I know a lot of British people. I think you`re suggestion that we play up our part in the War is a purely US bias, we don`t. And yes, US may have fought the Japanese alone on the Pacific ISLANDS, but not on mainland Asia, or did you not realise the Japanese were in Burma, China and the USSR to name but a few?

MkH #53 Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:01 PM

Major

• Player
  • 39258 battles
Remember the cowboy-sounds some versions ago?

Technocrat_Prime #54 Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:02 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Beta Tester
  • 33107 battles
  • [-TCC-] -TCC-

View Postkejmo, on 24 June 2013 - 07:22 AM, said:

Please, don't ask them for any work involving anything with the Sound...please. Their Sound Crew is...well. It is.

Not the sound crew, the speech crew (the sound is great). And yes, they are indescribable. It's been so since the closed beta, and all fixes have only made it worse. Speech is easily WoT's worst part.

wims80 #55 Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:04 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 10864 battles

View Postrobertorolfo, on 24 June 2013 - 03:15 PM, said:

...As you might suspect at this point, yes, I am a Yank. An American... or, as I prefer, your savior. Because yeah, I know it sounds pretentious, but we really did save your asses in WW2 (and everyone else that wasn't cool with the Nazi's, for that matter), so using American Eng. as the default is a logical choice. Also American tanks and tankers were MUCH more noteworthy in WW2 than their British counterparts. You were bit players, and now you want the starring role? Nope...

Edited by wims80, 25 June 2013 - 04:09 PM.

krazypenguin #56 Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:11 PM

Major

• Player
  • 30481 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
I don't know how much voice actors cost but given that WG are rumoured to make several hundred million dollars per year I really cannot see it can be such a difficult job to get a full set of professionally written, spoken and recorded lines for each nation.  Then stick a drop down box somewhere in the GUI that let's you chose a preferred language for your crew.

TomTom can do it on my SatNav - why can't WG do it in WoT?

Technocrat_Prime #57 Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:22 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Beta Tester
  • 33107 battles
  • [-TCC-] -TCC-

No, the reality is that we saved your asses.  The reality is that we also humiliated the Japanese on land, in the sea and in the air.

From a German point of view the reality is that American divisions ran at the battle of the bulge and the only ones who stood were a British and a Canadian division. Ask any German war veteran: they rated American soldiers very lowly, just above the Italians in fact, and thought that Britishers were tough and fearless, albeit somewhat inflexible.

Littlerift #58 Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:37 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 5415 battles

View Postrobertorolfo, on 25 June 2013 - 02:54 PM, said:

I'd say both pathetic, nationalist ideologies are equally repugnant. Either way it's just people leeching on the achievements of their ancestors; people trying to tell people 'what's up' and why others should be grateful to them whilst, usually, sitting in their parent's basement and thinking they have a full comprehension of the history of war because they once read a Horrible Histories book and glanced over the wikipedia page on Sun Tzu.

Yes it is. There's no single nation that could claim to have done all the work, in any way. If you really had to order the Allied forces by work done then Russia would win, and the honorable mention would go to the French Resistance, whose work was fundamental to the push through France following D-Day.

A complete assumption. And no real response? I'd say the disgusting way we firebombed multiple German cities was somewhat of a response. Although, I would also say that our initial hesitation about wiping out cities of civilians was something of a point for us, rather than a point against us.

The best air force? Yes. A large enough air force to defend every main city? I'm not quite certain. But alas, this is idle guesswork on both of our parts. Don't pretend you know what would have happened.

'Gave them a headstart'? What a callous way to try to twist the fact that the government's idolatry regarding other Allied nation's advice about caution allowed the Japanese to easily kill thousands of your soldiers.

How about, instead of arguing about things we cannot possibly know, we acknowledge the efforts of all of the Allied forces (and many of those often unmentioned forces, the French Resistance, the German Resistance, etc) and stop trying to claim the incredible but utterly human achievements of our ancestors as our own? No man won the war, no nation won the war; it was the many men of many nations that managed to wrestle victory, and petty 'my grandad did more than your grandad' playground squabbling does nothing except tar that fact.

Edited by Honeyguide, 25 June 2013 - 04:38 PM.

Naboo #59 Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:12 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 22222 battles

View PostAdwaenyth, on 24 June 2013 - 09:44 PM, said:

They dinged us just seems wrong as the active form just doesn't fit. You can't be right as you can't actively "ding" a shell flying towards you, unless you're really lucky and have Jedi premoniton or something like that. Other than that a passive form would just suit more I think.

"They dinged us" just confused the hell out of me when I heard it the first couple of times. Actually it still does, and I cannot stop thinking about one of the best movies ever made when I hear my commander saying it.
Posted Image

Mr_Thursday #60 Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:25 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 22092 battles
Guys please remember the forums rules re. the WWII discussion.

The WWII was won by Glorious Peoples Army of Soviet Union!

All Rise for Soviet Anthem

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=U06jlgpMtQs

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users