Jumbo Sherman VS M6

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
34 replies to this topic

Poll: Tank (46 members have cast votes)

E2 or M6

1. E2 (26 votes [56.52%])

Percentage of vote: 56.52%

2. M6 (20 votes [43.48%])

Percentage of vote: 43.48%

Vote Hide poll

jurjeskovici #1 Posted 01 July 2013 - 05:50 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
Quick and simple question:

Should I use the E2 Sherman or the M6 to get the T29?

I don't really have experience on these tanks, but I have all the modules and good crews (100% + first skill); so far I enjoyed the E2's armour, but the guns are pretty bad, especially vs higher tiers. As for the M6, my God, I hate it. I just unlocked the 9 cm gun tho, and things might change, but it has really bad armour - even the front can be easily penetrated. I actually have the worst WR I ever had on the M6, so my optimism is ground-low.

What do you thing would be better? This questions is aimed at people which played BOTH of them, not just one, because that will cause an biased opinion.

Thanks for reading this.

metoneca #2 Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:03 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
I had played the M6 .. took a while to know howto but then i enjoyed that tank. Haven't played the E2 so far, because of its gun.

Panzerkiller1337 #3 Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:16 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 0 battles
Take the m6. U'll unlock some of the guns through it ;). The armour is bad. yep. Use some free xp ;)

jurjeskovici #4 Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:35 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles

View PostPanzerkiller1337, on 01 July 2013 - 06:16 PM, said:

Take the m6. U'll unlock some of the guns through it ;). The armour is bad. yep. Use some free xp ;)

As I said, I have all modules researched on the M6, so I could use the E2 and still have the 90mm gun on the T29

jurjeskovici #5 Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:49 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
Come on guys, I really need help... A link to a good guide for either of them would also be appreciated

mxstrong #6 Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:54 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 0 battles
go m6 line it's costs less exp and you will unlock 90mm gun for t29 :smile:

jurjeskovici #7 Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:37 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles

View Postmxstrong, on 01 July 2013 - 07:54 PM, said:

go m6 line it's costs less exp and you will unlock 90mm gun for t29 :smile:

I have the gun unlocked... I can't really play that thing well - nothing like the T1

Gruminmor #8 Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:35 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
When I went over to the US line I was making a mission to get the T29, but I didn't want to have to slog around with the T1 or the M6. The M6 is a crap tank(IMO), I don't know why anyone would want to play it. It's slow, ugly, fat, has no armor to speak of, and the gun is meh.

Pre gold nerf the Jumbo with the 105mm troll gun was amazing. Nothing could stop me, I just derped anything and everything in my path. Now however it's a bit more tricky. Flanking is even more important than ever before, but considering it's kinda slow, that isn't always a possibility. But I guess my opinion is biased, I love medium tanks and their play style, but not so much heavy tanks. So I scrapped the idea of going towards the T29 and will now focus on getting the Pershing and Patton.

If you can't make up your mind, just research both. That's what I did.

MTWEmperor #9 Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:42 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
Jumbo is amazing.  Haven't played much on M6 but I like the Jumbo because it has amazing armor and the 76 mm gun has decent enough pen.

jurjeskovici #10 Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:40 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles

View PostGruminmor, on 01 July 2013 - 10:35 PM, said:

When I went over to the US line I was making a mission to get the T29, but I didn't want to have to slog around with the T1 or the M6. The M6 is a crap tank(IMO), I don't know why anyone would want to play it. It's slow, ugly, fat, has no armor to speak of, and the gun is meh.

Pre gold nerf the Jumbo with the 105mm troll gun was amazing. Nothing could stop me, I just derped anything and everything in my path. Now however it's a bit more tricky. Flanking is even more important than ever before, but considering it's kinda slow, that isn't always a possibility. But I guess my opinion is biased, I love medium tanks and their play style, but not so much heavy tanks. So I scrapped the idea of going towards the T29 and will now focus on getting the Pershing and Patton.

If you can't make up your mind, just research both. That's what I did.
Both are semi-elited. I only need to research the tanks to elite them, so It's only which one is a less painful grind.

kevenh_66 #11 Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:45 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
I went to the T29 via the T1H & M6

If I had to do it again I'd spend more time advancing through the US heavies, i.e. playing them while they're elited for a lot longer than I did.  :amazed:

When they're stock I found the T1H & M6 horrible.  Upgraded at or close to Elite both of them are quite fun & useful to your team.  :smile:

But, when at last I elite the tank, I just remember how they were stock & always went to the next tier ASAP  :sad:

Edited by kevenh_66, 02 July 2013 - 08:45 AM.

Panocek #12 Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:58 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
Jumbo was epic with pre nerf 105 HEAT, now its kinda meh tank - golden derp works now when you flank things which is not really doable with Jumbo. 76mm A1 in stock turret is mediocre gun in every stat, A2 and top turret IMO defeat purpose of slow armored tank, tho hail of shells you can pull off is impressive.

From Jumbo you can go to medium line if you find tank good enough.

Krellshand #13 Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:37 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
The Jumbo is kind of useless now IMO. The Derp nerf killed it... I just could shoot a noob IS three times flat on in the sides (between the tracks), and did 0 (!) penetrations. That usually does not happen to me, I barely have problems to pen sth. Now you have to aim for weakspots with a slow travelling, inaccurate gun with just 100 pen - GL with that on medium to long range.

And since normal gold ammo is not nerfed, your 101mm front amour is kind of laughable - everything (TD, MED, Heavy) will pen you from the front, even if not aiming for the mashinegun port or lower plate. You are too slow to flank, and your side amour isn´t sloped at all - so, like the panther, you should now stay the hell away from infights and snipe on long range with top gun. The armour will bounce on that range, and the gun is reliable. But the E8 is WAY better now.

Just forget about the E2. The M6 is the better choice, you get the better Hp Pool, armour (not one flat surface on the front) and you can train your heavy crew for later.

God I hate the derp nerf, they have overdone it. Just sold the E2 its elite anyway

jurjeskovici #14 Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:34 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles

View PostKrellshand, on 02 July 2013 - 11:37 AM, said:

The Jumbo is kind of useless now IMO. The Derp nerf killed it... I just could shoot a noob IS three times flat on in the sides (between the tracks), and did 0 (!) penetrations. That usually does not happen to me, I barely have problems to pen sth. Now you have to aim for weakspots with a slow travelling, inaccurate gun with just 100 pen - GL with that on medium to long range.

And since normal gold ammo is not nerfed, your 101mm front amour is kind of laughable - everything (TD, MED, Heavy) will pen you from the front, even if not aiming for the mashinegun port or lower plate. You are too slow to flank, and your side amour isn´t sloped at all - so, like the panther, you should now stay the hell away from infights and snipe on long range with top gun. The armour will bounce on that range, and the gun is reliable. But the E8 is WAY better now.

Just forget about the E2. The M6 is the better choice, you get the better Hp Pool, armour (not one flat surface on the front) and you can train your heavy crew for later.

God I hate the derp nerf, they have overdone it. Just sold the E2 its elite anyway

I strongly dissagree here. The E2 has much better armour than the M6. The E2 has a well sloped UFP that can be artificially angled really well, because the side armour isn't that bad (like on the M6, where you can't really angle well) + the fact that the M6's "100mm armour" is only on the middle strip where no one actually shoots. Also the turret is weak. Really weak. Most shots will go through it, unlike the E2's turret which has a great mantlet (but a glaring weakspot tho, the cupola).

And I tend to get underestimated by enemies. I never had someone of my tier and most T7s go through my armour frontally. They probably think it's got 0 armour because it's a medium tank, a common mistake amog new players (not exactly hard to get a t7...)

jurjeskovici #15 Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:05 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
As far as I seen the pros and cons of these tanks are as follows:

M6

Pros:
-Great main gun (good pen, good damage decent accuracy and RoF)
-Good gun depression and elevation angles
-A somewhat small turret
-Fair amount of hitpoints, but less than other T6 heavies
-Decent mobility for a heavy tank
-Hulldown ability (not exactly a perfect tactic tho since your turret is crap and your hul is very tall, but let's say you xcan do it under right circumstances)
Cons:
-Amazingly bad stock grind
-Bad armour; on paper it states it has 102mm of frontal armour but that's only true for a small strip of it's hull
-Weak turret armour compared to it's peers
-HUGE size (coupled with no side-rear and weak front)
-Virtually no angling capabilities because you don't want to expose the side armour, or wehn popping out the hull's "cheeks" become a weakspot
-Mostly flat hull armour
-Pretty much dependent on the team even when top tier with the swarms of KV-1Ses around

Sherman E2:

Pros:
-T110E5 levels of turret armour at T6 with the stock turret
-Great frontal hull armour, with decent side armour (which is flat somewhat enabling a reverse sidescraper maneuver)
-Decent acceleration
-Decent agility
-Great RoF
-Can angle it's armour well
-Small size, making arty less of a threat

Cons:
-Bad side and rear turret armour (on the upgraded turret), but with decent frontal turret armour, having the same mantlet
-No rear hull armour
-Bad top speed for a medium
-Pathetic gun when put against T8s and most T7s (a light tank gun)
-Bad view range when using the stock turret

So:
M6- great gun (even tho better suited on a medium tank), crap armour
E2- great armour, crap gun (in terms of penetration, but you could spam gold to remove this con)

Also, people praise the M6 for it's mobility for a heavy tank, but in my case, I compare it to a heavy medium because I want to sell one of them. The M6 has the same top speed, both have ~the same acceleration, and much worse taverse speed, for both hull and turret.

Edited by jurjeskovici, 02 July 2013 - 01:18 PM.

jurjeskovici #16 Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:15 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
189 views and only 8 people replied. Ok...

amro #17 Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:33 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 0 battles
I play E2 and i can say only one thing. Don t by that peace of crap (if you don t want to be useless). Not even one gun is working properly, derp can t penetrate and others just have "joke" alpha damage. For example you need to hit PZ IV about million times to kill him.

VeryRisky #18 Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:04 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
You might have more replies if you had included the option - "both".

Ideally fromt he Mee you get the M4 Sherman first and then get the M6 with the guns researched.  at tier 6 again you research the M1A2 on the mediums and then start the M6 with that gun.

Imo all of the tanks in these lines are fun to play.  Take your time, advance both lines and be in the best possible position for tier 7.

jurjeskovici #19 Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:46 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
Mate, they're both demi-elite; I only need to decide from which tank I'll unlock the T29

The_Giant_Lemon #20 Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:56 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 0 battles
The Jumbo sherman is an absolute beast of a tank... one of the few that can bounce a shot from the KV1-S.

The gun is interesting..... awesome DPM, but low alpha and poor-ish penetration. If you know where to shoot then it's not a problem and you can put the awesome DPM to work as your armour is soooo good! Also far more maneuverable than the other well armoured tier 6's, e.g. T150, so you can counter the poor penetration by flanking more easily.

Main downside if you are looking to go to the T29 is that it doesn't unlock the 90mm for the t29. You really don't want the M1A2 on the T29, makes the otherwise awesome tank a complete waste of space. I unlocked the 90mm on the T20 as I wanted to go down the medium line, but you could use free exp or do the same.