tracks track repair

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

jajeczny #1 Posted 26 July 2013 - 12:49 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 15977 battles
hello, i found this today:
in the link below is a video where is shown track repair in transporter on leopard suspension.
i think it's quite fast.
http://technowinki.o...1,artykul.html#

Raven_xD #2 Posted 26 July 2013 - 12:54 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 14687 battles
Sooo the vid is more on the bottom of the site under all those submarines pics and vid about leopars starts at 0:56, better skip to it (first you have to watch a commercial tho)

Sapaki #3 Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:00 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 9331 battles
  • [SGTA] SGTA
Quite fast? You are joking right? This edited video does not show a procedure that takes at best 30 mins or more, and this on a flat dry terrain, with the help of small lifting machinery, hydraulic jacks etc.

Fact is that if a tank's track is blown off in the battlefield it pretty much stays that way, untill somekind of support comes or the battle is over. Eitherway a de-tracked tank is out of the battle.

jonnyrubber #4 Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:00 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 13382 battles

View Postjajeczny, on 26 July 2013 - 12:49 PM, said:

in the link below is a video where is shown track repair in transporter on leopard suspension.
i think it's quite fast.

except..............

its done on a nice flat concrete surface

Its replacing a good condition track that hasnt been damaged by shell fire

They arent replacing it 'under fire'

They use a fork lift truck

The video doesnt show how long it actually takes.

So in reality it has no comparison to changing a battle damaged track under fire....and certainly has nothing to do with WoT track repairs  :smile:

Richthoffen #5 Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:06 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 27486 battles
  • [MS-] MS-
agreed with the above posts.. under combat conditions tanks where abandoned and recovered from the batlefield at a later time or destroyed if that was not posible

wims80 #6 Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:13 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 10276 battles
It would of course be completely impossible to change the track during a battle. But it's usually pretty straight forward to change it elsewhere, even without a repair vehicle around. On the ramp outside the garage it took us very short time to change the track (10 minutes? can't really remember), that would be without any vehicles, but we did have a platoon worth of men to help us out. We once threw the track sliding sideways in 1 meter snow. It took us about 45 minutes to get it back again, 4 man crew + 2 support soldiers, 1 meter deep snow and -15c

Marlekin #7 Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:20 PM

Brigadier

• Beta Tester
  • 33412 battles
  • [HOFF] HOFF

View PostSapaki, on 26 July 2013 - 01:00 PM, said:

Fact is that if a tank's track is blown off in the battlefield it pretty much stays that way, untill somekind of support comes or the battle is over. Eitherway a de-tracked tank is out of the battle.

Pretty much, yea.

Second world war, lots of Tigers for example were lost not because they were destroyed or blown up, but because their tracks were shot off. Because these tanks were so heavy and terrain often being far from ideal in Russia, a simple tow job with another tank was often impossible.  Faced with counterattacking  russians  these tanks would often had to be abandoned. Standing orders at that time for the Germany army was to destroy the tank, to not let the enemy capture it.

Lil_Chewieezy #8 Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:21 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 30504 battles
  • [3VS27] 3VS27
That's like saying that a plane takes 8-12 minutes to take off because that's what you saw in Fast and Furious 6.

Even if it's intended trolling, it's kinda sad to post what you did in that specific way, if you were serious...

TinyViking #9 Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:23 PM

Major

• Player
  • 7289 battles
Moved to offtopic.

Enjoy!

hero2zer0 #10 Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:31 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 3817 battles
I wouldn't go as far as saying tanks were "abandoned", well unless you had 1k tanks in each platoon! This is a bit off topic, but even tanks with destroyed tracks would still have a role: hint - it has to do with that pointy barrel coming out of the turret ;) And even then the said tank has got his squad/platoon mates to help him by either dragging the tank (tanks have massive iron "cords" on them for a reason), or by providing cover from enemy fire.

Back on topic, tanks do get de-tracked even without getting shot. A chain might get hit by a rock and break, a bolt holding two chains together might snap and there are many other reasons (just ask and serving/vet tanker). For experienced tank crew (4 people nowadays) it takes up to 30 minutes to re-track it (using only a cord and some hammers). Some armies have dedicated technicians within the platoons as well so that speeds up the process.

Sapaki #11 Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:30 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 9331 battles
  • [SGTA] SGTA
Since we got into Tigers,given some transmission problems, it was absolutely forbiden to Tiger crews to tow or push any other vehicle regardless of it's weight and size.

The orders where, if a Tiger was tracked, it stayed where it was untill either:

a) it was moved/repaired by a support vehicle

b)it was abandoned and destroyed by it's own crew if the battle was going the wrong way.

Eitherway, in most situations, a tracked tank is considered in most cases to be knocked out (this does not mean that it cannot be recovered after the battle, if it is not destroyed and if the result of the battle is favorable).

All this to say that the "track repair" system in WoT is an "arcadish" concept, which is not bad per se for gameplay purposes, but which is totaly unrealistic.

soolerman #12 Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:46 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 24366 battles
Yea right a retrack job in 2 min. I have never tried to retrack a tank but I have retacked a 24tone 360 excavator on a muddy building site. It took us over an hour to do the job and the mechanic said it was one of the fastest retracks he had ever done. God knows how it can be done on a tank in a battle field.

jaskap77 #13 Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:10 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 9972 battles
  • [NORSU] NORSU

View Postjajeczny, on 26 July 2013 - 12:49 PM, said:

i think it's quite fast.

Yeah... Right...

Reality check.

From experience I can say that track repair takes about 2-3 hours if it's truly broken.

Last summer when we had an event at Parola, we broke a track link in half! It took us about 2-3 hours to get T-34 back on its tracks.

And here's a video. Edited but pretty much what happened.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=qZIA45FcaPY

Sapaki #14 Posted 04 August 2013 - 01:35 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 9331 battles
  • [SGTA] SGTA

View Postjaskap77, on 01 August 2013 - 08:10 PM, said:

Yeah... Right...
Reality check.
From experience I can say that track repair takes about 2-3 hours if it's truly broken.
Last summer when we had an event at Parola, we broke a track link in half! It took us about 2-3 hours to get T-34 back on its tracks.
And here's a video. Edited but pretty much what happened.
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=qZIA45FcaPY
Yeah right! Noob 50% crew with no toolbox and no repair skillz!
Joke apart, thanks for the vid and thanks for putting things back into perspective.
No experience with tanks myself, but I do have some with heavy equipment running on tracks (bachoes, loaders etc.) and I have some bitter experience of repairing tracks.
As others suggested 30-45 min give or take is the time a seasoned crew will take to refit the track on a tank, and this provided that the damage on the track is not  to serious (replacing a link, a joint or a bolt giving in etc.)

Edited by Sapaki, 04 August 2013 - 01:40 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users