Nuketrooper's Guide To Where To Aim

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
33 replies to this topic

Nuketrooper315 #1 Posted 25 January 2011 - 10:32 PM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 118 battles

POPULAR

There is an incomplete guide on how to damage some key areas on some tanks, without breaking the EULA and messing with the game files. It is incomplete and can be misleading sometimes - keep in mind shells probably change trajectory once inside the tank, and the turret location in relation to the hull also *should* play a role.  Also keep in mind it is possible to damage one module from more than one side.

Rectangle indicates the general area of the module, while ellipse indicates point of impact. All damage is taken from AP rounds

KV-2 :

Turret ring
Spoiler                     

Crew - commander
Spoiler                     

Crew- driver + optics
Spoiler                     

Crew- radio operator (blue) and loader(red)
Spoiler                     

T-34-85
Ammo Rack
Spoiler                     

Crew - Radio operator, Loader (red) , Driver (blue)
Spoiler                     

Turret ring

Spoiler                     

t-43

Crew - loader, driver
Spoiler                     

Turret Ring and Radio

Spoiler                     

T-44

Crew -Driver
Spoiler                     

T-54

Crew Driver,Loader
Spoiler                     

IS
Ammo rack
Spoiler                     

Turret ring
Spoiler                     

IS-4

Crew Driver(red) , Optics (blue)
Spoiler                     

Crew - Gunner
Spoiler                     

Turret Ring, Ring and Loader
Spoiler                     

Turret Ring
Spoiler                     

Ammo rack
Spoiler                     

IS-7

Crew Driver

Crew - Second Loader
Spoiler                     

Turret Ring
Spoiler                     

Engine
Spoiler                     

SU-152

Crew Driver, Gunner, Commander
Spoiler                     

Ammo Rack
Spoiler                     

ISU-152
Crew Gunner
Spoiler                     

Crew Loader(red) Optics(blue)
Spoiler                     

Crew Driver
Spoiler                     

Crew Commander
Spoiler                     

Ammo Rack(red) Optics(blue)
Spoiler                     

Fuel tanks (unconfirmed)
Spoiler                     
Radio
Spoiler                     

Model 704

Crew Gunner
Spoiler                     

SU-14

Crew - second gunner
Spoiler                     

Notes on cannon damage:
It is possible to take out the enemy's gun in one or couple shots, though it is also possible to repeatedly hit the gun, penetrate, hear "Critical hit" (or the like) and make absolutely no impression on the enemy tank - no HP damage and absolutely NO module damage, despite penetration. My experience shows that once at point-blank range, better aim a bit off the center. It is not guaranteed cannon damage, but still.  During tests with T-54 I fired 6 shots at another T-54's cannon -all penetrated but none scored damage or damaged the gun.

P.S.

The first person that omnislashes my post to bring only the part about T-54s gun not being damaged and starts whining in this thread will be bitchslapped with a landmine. And the second one too.

devxcil #2 Posted 25 January 2011 - 11:10 PM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 1311 battles
The pics aren't working for me

Deus_Mechanicus #3 Posted 25 January 2011 - 11:39 PM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 1258 battles
protip: even if you know where to aim, it's all random.

SastusBulbas #4 Posted 25 January 2011 - 11:51 PM

Colonel

• Beta Tester
  • 38682 battles
Pretty good guide! Some of those places I aim when using the comical, but yeah not as easy to hit consistent. Nice to see where some ammo racks are, Now how to do the fires?

Nuketrooper315 #5 Posted 25 January 2011 - 11:53 PM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 118 battles
Funny - pics are working for me. Is anybody else having problems viewing them?

@Hamynelypham  - random as it is, you can still get consistent results if you hit those areas. Difficult part is reliably hitting them and longer than point-blank range.

conductiv #6 Posted 26 January 2011 - 02:04 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Beta Tester
  • 34753 battles
  • [FIFO] FIFO

View Postsastusbulbas, on 25 January 2011 - 11:51 PM, said:

Pretty good guide! Some of those places I aim when using the comical, but yeah not as easy to hit consistent. Nice to see where some ammo racks are, Now how to do the fires?

2 critical spots on the tank to cause possible 1-hit-kill is the feultank (increases chances of catching fire by a huge margin, usually located close to the engine some tanks like the panther mount feul tanks on the outside of the tank) or ammo rack (if enough damage is dealt and the module is hit because ammo rack has the largest save, you have a rough 33% of hitting it if the shell penetrates the proper area. With enough damage it will explode, you will never have a destroyed ammo rack and survive)

personally I'll only aim for ammo racks and feul tanks if the target is very close and not a direct threat (my crosshair envelops target module and the enemy is not shooting at me), if it is a threat and up close I'll usually aim for a track drive wheel (dealing damage and reliably tracking the tank, this external module seems to have no save, allowing me to block his gun using cover) or gun if no cover is present. On long ranges I always aim for the center mass of the available target (usually the turret ring, but for disproportional tanks like the tiger this can be the hull aswell, usually the center mass is close to the ammorack)

modules seem to "auto-repair" in time up to "damaged" if hit, so if one uses very weak guns one might be unable to deliver enough damage fast enough to destroy a module (like leo's trying to track a ferdi). it also means the more damaging a gun, the more likely it destroys modules in a single hit. modules have different hitpiont in different tanks.

_DC_ #7 Posted 26 January 2011 - 12:03 PM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 10425 battles
My experience is thats its mostly very random. You may get a higher chance at shooting those spots but its no garantee.

TheRight #8 Posted 26 January 2011 - 12:38 PM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 8746 battles
No pics for me eihter

Arkhell #9 Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:34 PM

Lieutenant General

• Beta Tester
  • 16973 battles
works just fine for me and i'm at work so thats saying something :P

Makikou #10 Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:37 PM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 10353 battles
These penetration shots are correct.. but its hard to say a certain module is exactly there as it coulda had penetrated and then either ricochetted inside the tank or came in a not-so-typical angle.

DopeCookie #11 Posted 26 January 2011 - 03:02 PM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 114 battles
  • [BRGD] BRGD
yeah, nice idea to make a guide... but after the patch wich incresead the chance to do a crit-hit from 33%->50% i made the experience, that its not important where u hit the tank; u got 50% to stop him. i got hits in the front-amor of my ferdinad (200mm steel); both tracks where gone. 1 indirect arty-hit from a hummel; tracks gone, engnie killed, sights destroyed (all with "50% chance to hit") and one loader, the gunner and the gun destroyed/killed (wich should still have 33% to hit, say wargaming...)
i repeat; one inderect hit by a 150mm howitzer; 7 critical hits and 1/4 hp damage.

my personal favorit was a turret-hut on my panther with the better turret; both tracks gone, driver dead... because the driver has his seat inside the turret or what?

i think they should patch the crit-system back to 33%... in my opinion that would stop the massive camp-action in every game.

ps; sry for my broken english...

Jonse #12 Posted 26 January 2011 - 03:30 PM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 10748 battles

View PostHamynelypham, on 25 January 2011 - 11:39 PM, said:

protip: even if you know where to aim, it's all random.

This.

Really nice guide though!

RokRoland #13 Posted 26 January 2011 - 11:19 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 14022 battles
  • [ASEET] ASEET

View PostDopeCookie, on 26 January 2011 - 03:02 PM, said:

yeah, nice idea to make a guide... but after the patch wich incresead the chance to do a crit-hit from 33%->50% i made the experience, that its not important where u hit the tank; u got 50% to stop him. i got hits in the front-amor of my ferdinad (200mm steel); both tracks where gone. 1 indirect arty-hit from a hummel; tracks gone, engnie killed, sights destroyed (all with "50% chance to hit") and one loader, the gunner and the gun destroyed/killed (wich should still have 33% to hit, say wargaming...)
i repeat; one inderect hit by a 150mm howitzer; 7 critical hits and 1/4 hp damage.

my personal favorit was a turret-hut on my panther with the better turret; both tracks gone, driver dead... because the driver has his seat inside the turret or what?

i think they should patch the crit-system back to 33%... in my opinion that would stop the massive camp-action in every game.

Your first example is not effected by the 50% aince 50% nnly applies to AP ammo, HE is as it was, additionally sights are external to the tank so more vulnerable to HE damage.

Also, that change will do nothing to stop camping.

To the OP: Nice post, even if some of the tips are slightly "shoot between tank hull and turret to hit the turret ring", says Captain Obvious. Another thing that was not really addressed was where to achieve penetration, I would appreciate if you commented whether some, all, or none of those places are easy penetrable or not.

I'll clap my hands anyway in glee because of this post. Thanks.

tizianenel #14 Posted 27 January 2011 - 12:13 AM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 2658 battles
Nice post, although some of the examples can be a bit inaccurate due to not having a clear idea of shot trajectory. Sure it penetrated at that point and broke a module, but did the shot arrive at a 45 or 90 degree angle? Was the module that got broken on this side of tank or on the other?

Campaign #15 Posted 28 January 2011 - 03:17 PM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 3556 battles
Excellent post. I'd like to see this from all tier 8+ tanks. Gave this a +1

Nuketrooper315 #16 Posted 02 February 2011 - 02:33 AM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 118 battles
I will try to address some of the criticism later (when I have time and/or am less lazy!) Marking areas with weaker/tougher armour would be helpful indeed but will take some time to map everything (and upload the pics). Also with the hard wipe coming, few people want to waste precious time on tests. For now consider all hits as "head on", right angles in relation to the surface they hit.

Anyway - I will update the first post when I come across interesting info. For now it is only the IS-7 engine.  We couldn't damage it when firing at  the left side of the tank, but consistently broke it when firing at the middle and the right side.

Baine #17 Posted 03 February 2011 - 06:50 PM

Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 10702 battles
2 Points,

first, the turret ring should be selfexplanatory so one example should be enough :P

Secondly the problem i see is that you show the bullet holes but you don't calculate the angle of the impact, that means you don't know where exactly the bullet went inside. Unless people are standing on equal ground at a 90% angle. But you stated that yourself already.

Other than that, well done!

Wyke #18 Posted 16 February 2011 - 06:37 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 530 battles
OK, maybe I am being a retentive "Done it for real" type, but should not the only rule of aiming always simply be. "Aim for the centre of the observed target"?

RokRoland #19 Posted 17 February 2011 - 12:10 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 14022 battles
  • [ASEET] ASEET

View PostWyke, on 16 February 2011 - 06:37 AM, said:

OK, maybe I am being a retentive "Done it for real" type, but should not the only rule of aiming always simply be. "Aim for the centre of the observed target"?

In WoT the ranges of engagement are really such that you can aim for exact spots, with certain guns at least.

Additionally the gaussian distribution of hits within aiming circle mean you will hit the center of the circle more often than the edge. This is useful as it helps you pick out places to shoot at, particularly if you would not otherwise penetrate. Or, even if you would penetrate, you would have to retreat to survive after taking a shot and want to inflict maximum damage at the risk of a miss.

BadNews420 #20 Posted 11 March 2011 - 01:05 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 14038 battles
This shot took out the ammo on my VK 3002 DB, 90% angle but he was a bit below me so it could have gone up a bit in to my turret.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users