Another Fantasy tank - why?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic

BlueMoon51 #21 Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:36 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 14435 battles
Bottomline is WG aren't under the same pressures of real developers, they aren't having their factories bombed night and day. Losing the war, winning the war, as others have pointed out its much more important to provide balance than only offering tanks that went into mass production. I worked on the Railway in the UK for a number of years and I met no one that was connected in any way with the APT project that didn't believe it would not have been a huge success, if it hadn't been for the politics of the time and the pressure to push ahead with trials against the advice of the developers. In another world it's not unreasonable to think that if the government of the day had been as shortsighted that it would have been produced in large numbers, but events conspired against it so only a handful of prototypes ever where used. I'm sure the same thing is true of most of the tanks in the game that never entered mass-production.

warlock07rox #22 Posted 28 August 2013 - 12:58 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 12197 battles
Well i agree with the Op the game is called world of Tanks not world of fantasy tanks that some guys at Wg dream up so they can buff and play with certain trees to make them as they wish with no historical value or significance,There is enought tanks that were actiually built and saw action to fill out most trees without having to resort to fictional tanks and where is it going to end ?

XPuntar #23 Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:30 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 14510 battles
Tier 11 - Star War AT-AT and AT-ST walkers with laserz.

ulcusrodens #24 Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:45 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 11474 battles
am i the only person here who thinks that putting in game lots of prototypes and "what if" tanks is one of the best features of WoT?

daveev66 #25 Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:45 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 10118 battles
Having a few prototypes in the game would not be an issue, especially if they were mostly option or branches off the main tech trees. However like the OP I do feel that there are a few too many and that there is a risk of finding historical tanks outclassed by prototypes that sounded good on paper but never saw a real life battle to test them. For example some tanks have an tendency to burn easily because in reality that is what they did, how do we know this for one that existed on blueprints only ?

Some tech lines - German seems especially bad to my way of thinking are dominated by tanks that never really existed beyond the  testing grounds. As an earlier poster said WG could easily have a T1-10 comprising real life tanks and variants only, the fantasy ones are unnecessary. Add a few for fun by all means but WG seem to have overdone it. France and China probably need the made up tanks, none of the others do.

Zarax999 #26 Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:12 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 10117 battles
  • [TWC] TWC
Some tanks are result of missing data at the time and the need to fill an hole (VK4502), while others I cannot be sure if it's intentional misreading of sources or not (GW Tiger P, VK7201).

AFK Panther was basically the cheapest solution to the problem, based on historical components (at least on stock), less than ideal for the task but much simpler to create than a purpose made tank.

IronSpear #27 Posted 27 September 2013 - 04:14 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 25579 battles
If they only stuck to prototypes as in a tank that was actually made with engine and drove around for tests or made in limited numbers not to just blueprint tanks.

Hell If they even were detailed production stage blueprints but for example Lowe is just paper napkin side sketch of concept so is T71.

But what do you expect from the company that can not even read and has the penetration values of all the German guns wrong because they failed to read the note that the test plate was not flat on like in Russian tests but at an angle... :facepalm:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users