Luchs, the tier 4 powerhouse

• Please log in to reply
211 replies to this topic

maroar #41 Posted 16 November 2013 - 09:49 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 29970 battles
  • [TRTD] TRTD
Here I have some 8.8 replays, in scout MM, that should work (when It says someting like: different version..., still want to watch? Yes/No, press yes and you can watch the 8.8 replays)
Ammo and consumable loadout not shown in these replays, but I was going with:
Consumables:
Small First Aid Kit, Small Repair Kit, Manual Fire Extinguishers
Ammo:
220 AP, 20 APCR
Equipment:
Improved Ventilation, Coated Optics, Binocs
_
Edit made a repost so here is the quote:

View Postmaroar, on 11 October 2013 - 08:27 PM, said:

I took a break from playing the luchs.
Now I'm back with it :D
_
some 8.8 replays
_
First battle since comming back with the luchs | tier 7 | El Halluf
http://wotreplays.co...pzkpfw_ii_luchs
Spotting in the end by staying out of the eney viewrange thanks to the camo of the luchs
_
Luchs | Malinovka field spotting | clearing a flank | Tier 6
-The enemy has flanked us and has now locked us in a very small area.
-We need to get one of our flanks cleared and I see that the most dangerous enemies are in our north, so I decide that I will have to get the east cleared (so the enemy base).
-I then decide to go back instead of capping as the hellcat is fast enough to come back spot and kill me without me spotting him.
-Luckily a friendly VK is so smart as to not cross the open field and we take out the enemies.
_
Tier 4 Redshire match
This shows the incredible capabilties of the luchs thanks to its combination of great spotting, camauflage and burst damage capabilities.
Especially on tier 4 :D
_
Luchs | Tier 7 match | clearing the forest of Murovanka
During my reload I spot as is clear while damaging and spotting the KV1S
I get great sniper support from my team :D
_
more of my luchs replays on:
http://wotreplays.com
_
Added comment on El Halluf:
To make the spot I go to in the beginning work, you basically need binocs.
Don't do as I do in the end, I get myself killed very stupidly :P
I should have waited for someone else to engage the JagdPanther and then attack him myself.
Or proxy-spot him (so basically not rushing out like a headless chicken like I did)
_
Tier 4 | Airfield | 1k xp more then rest of the team | Learning from my mistakes
1. I could/should have ignored the TK'er in the beginning and spot all the enemy moving in the north.
But hey, he turned blue so I could finally get back at one.
Had he not turned blue I would not have eliminated him.
2. I should have ran from that A-20 to my friendlies ASAP.
I thought he was running from me that is why I did not run in the beginning (the A-20 just has a very bad turning circle).
3. I wanted to take out the M8A1 and negated the T-46 I should not have done this as I did not need a full clip for that M8A1 anymore. This cost me 100hp and might cost me a game if I were to do this in another situation.
-See how in the end this "friendly" Alecto tries to kill me, its not a wide shot or anything he just points his gun straight at me.
_
The links in the quote section don't work so here they are again:
First battle since comming back with the luchs | tier 7 | El Halluf
Luchs | Malinovka field spotting | clearing a flank | Tier 6
Tier 4 Redshire match
Luchs | Tier 7 match | clearing the forest of Murovanka

Edited by maroar, 16 November 2013 - 10:23 AM.

Noo_Noo #42 Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:52 PM

Major

• Player
  • 22560 battles
Struggling with this one at the moment. No surprise with a crew not at 100%  and my poor scouting abilities. I seem to get nailed by opposition I don't even see fairly often. It's like I'm driving blind with it and have no evidence of the supoosed good view range.

Sadly I look like one of those kamikaze runs we often see at the beginning of the game at the moment.

Flinsenberger #43 Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:32 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 8009 battles
  • [OE] OE

View PostNoo_Noo, on 18 November 2013 - 01:52 PM, said:

Struggling with this one at the moment. No surprise with a crew not at 100%  and my poor scouting abilities. I seem to get nailed by opposition I don't even see fairly often. It's like I'm driving blind with it and have no evidence of the supoosed good view range.
Sadly I look like one of those kamikaze runs we often see at the beginning of the game at the moment.
This is a scout.
A scout is very dependent on it's crew and on a full equipment set.
You need the camo, and you need the 100% viewrange on the commander. So you might want to upgrade at least your commander to 100%
Then you need modules. Try the poor man's equipment set, camo-net, binocs and ventilation (camo and binocs can be switched).
Plus, actually you need the Sixth Sense as first crew skill. Without it the game is just not the same.
I'd advise you to:
1. Learn the maps. Check out Tazilons Scouting Guide over at tazilon.net and take a look at the maps. There are great scouting spots.
You should try to passive scout first, or drive up to a safe position and just shortly look over, then roll back into cover. And by "cover" I do not mean "a bush".
2. If you go to a forward position and spot... DO NOT FIRE. Firing will show you to the enemy.
3. Learn how to snipe through a bush without being seen (15m)
4. If you get the feeling you have been seen and this is a bad approach, listen to yourself. Go into hiding, behind a house, hill or rock. Count to 5. Then you should be invisible again. Continue in a different direction.
Getting nailed by opposition you don't see is rather normal. It just happens that you run into a position where someone scouts you, you see noone, and another tank fires at you. This only gets better with experience. Where are the houses, where are usual enemy positions, am I behind a hill, etc.

Edited by Flinsenberger, 20 November 2013 - 05:32 PM.

Noo_Noo #44 Posted 22 November 2013 - 11:22 AM

Major

• Player
  • 22560 battles
Cheers. All makes sense and highlights the things I'm trying to learn. I've been playing TD's pretty much exclusively until now.

I do think I've found part of my problem though. Stupid school boy error. I hadn't upgraded the tank despite having purchased everything. So I've been running round with the right gun but everything else as stock along with optics, binocs and ventilation stuck in the garage and unable to mount it. No wonder I couldn't see the vents on the tank. I feel stupid.

Much better now.

Flinsenberger #45 Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:39 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 8009 battles
  • [OE] OE

View PostNoo_Noo, on 22 November 2013 - 11:22 AM, said:

I do think I've found part of my problem though. Stupid school boy error. I hadn't upgraded the tank despite having purchased everything. So I've been running round with the right gun but everything else as stock along with optics, binocs and ventilation stuck in the garage and unable to mount it. No wonder I couldn't see the vents on the tank. I feel stupid.

Hehe... Sounds like a "Where are my glasses?" situation...

Posted Image

Noo_Noo #46 Posted 22 November 2013 - 04:24 PM

Major

• Player
  • 22560 battles
I'd say that's putting it very politely Flinsenberger.

Still struggling though. It's a tough swap from Sniping with Td's to scouting where you're often in the middle of it.

maroar #47 Posted 23 November 2013 - 03:59 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 29970 battles
  • [TRTD] TRTD

View PostFlayingFish, on 22 November 2013 - 06:16 PM, said:

Is the 5cm gun for this thing any good?
I ask because I'm on the verge of getting this tank for myself (just want to unlock some modules with free XP & train my crew skills a bit first), and while the 3cm autoloader does look appealing (especially if it's anything like the Auf C's machine gun), that 16 second reload is really off-putting.

Here I explain why I use the 3cm instead of the 5cm and why I dont think the drum reload of 16 sec is a disadvantage.

View Postmaroar, on 05 August 2013 - 06:37 PM, said:

The 5cm is an option, and since you bring the topic up on the guns let me explain why I chose the 3cm.
1. As you can see in the replays: I expose myself when shooting, I dont re-aim for every clip, I pull back.
When exposing myself I am not yet spotted
When I fire I will be spotted, so I want to minimize my time being exposed in these scout MM battles as most tanks can 1-shot me
The 3cm will give me a max burst damage of 300hp (when having to shoot weakspots expect 120 damage)
During the reload I pull back and my camo wil be back up again

With the 5cm you will get of 1 shot, maybe 2 before the enemy will return fire and kill you with that 1 shot (or seriously cripple you)
so expect 70 or 140 damage so average 105 damage(if they all penetrate and even with the 130 penetration I doubt all will penetrate the tier 8 more often then the 3cm)
When you are trying to use the higher DPM of the 5cm you will be exposed the whole time as you will shoot every 2 seconds and the camoflauge wont start working again.

2. Best penetration without premium ammo (with premium shells 15 more penetration is not enough for me to use them, as the weakspots I hit will be penetrated with 95 pen as well, I do think they might be an option for the Leopard, which im currently trying to master)

3. in the non scout MM battles you will easily be able cripple an enemy tank with the burst damage of the 3cm
whereas the 5cm is just a regular gun in these matches

Noo_Noo #48 Posted 27 November 2013 - 10:22 AM

Major

• Player
  • 22560 battles
I've gone for the top tier in everything and I'm still struggling. I seem to end up in Tier 7 and 8 games all the time. I could count how many games I've been top tier on one hand I reckon.
My problem and I suspect it's an issue that many new light tank / scout players have is that I end up in really bad situations all the time. You need to push into pretty sticky areas to get the spotting points but I simply dont have the skill level it seems to stay out of sight. I'm growing tired of being killed with one shot.  Frustrating!
Should add that I now have a 100% crew. Commander is training 6th sense(50%), the rest are on Camo training at 50% or so.
I'm using vents, Optics and Camo net

Edited by Noo_Noo, 27 November 2013 - 10:25 AM.

Flinsenberger #49 Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:29 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 8009 battles
  • [OE] OE

FlayingFish said:

Here's a secondary question: What radio should I take?

The best one. Imagine you are on Lakeville and sneaked through the river road, next to their base. A Hetzer, with stock radio 290m, lurks on the other side of the lake, where you came from. You spot a PzIII in the town, pointing your way. The 40m can make the difference between the Hetzer seeing the tank or not.

The 40m make the difference in those triangle situations. Other options are:
- Prokhorovka, you on the hill, others on camper road. Target next to railroad
- Malinovka, you at church, others at south spawn, target in encounter circle.
- Generally a spawn camping arty and you are off somewhere

40m make a difference, and usually when you desperately need it. If you don't know about it, you just wonder why your stupid noob loser team doesn't shoot at the targets you spot ;-)

View PostNoo_Noo, on 27 November 2013 - 10:22 AM, said:

I've gone for the top tier in everything and I'm still struggling. I seem to end up in Tier 7 and 8 games all the time. I could count how many games I've been top tier on one hand I reckon.

Yes. This is the norm. One grows with the size of the problems to overcome. It gets a lot better with Sixth Sense.

My problem and I suspect it's an issue that many new light tank / scout players have is that I end up in really bad situations all the time. You need to push into pretty sticky areas to get the spotting points but I simply dont have the skill level it seems to stay out of sight. I'm growing tired of being killed with one shot.  Frustrating!

Don't let yourself be frustrated. That happens. Great rounds should bring you about 1.300 xp premium, good rounds about 800-900. It takes time to get used to the maps, know the spotting places, know where to go (and even more important: When to leave). Always have an exit route (that is a mistake I often do, ending up in a place where I have no options left). Experience goes a long way.

I have 3800 matches right now, about 1100 in light tanks, and there a still quite some maps where I do not know how to scout it. Maps like Fisherman's Bay, Serene Coast, Siegfried Line.

Add to that the Luchs' characteristics (no sniping!), and it gets even more complicated.

As a general rule you should try to scout more and shoot less. Don't shoot at all if you are in a forward position in a bush. Fire only, when you are sure no gun points your way and you are in a situation where you can strike quickly and then get the hell away. And don't push your luck, unless you really need to pee ;-)

Taking risks and going yolo and man-mode destroys your tank 80% of the time, and lets you do hilarious things 20% of the time. Play it safe and win the game.

Should add that I now have a 100% crew. Commander is training 6th sense(50%), the rest are on Camo training at 50% or so.
I'm using vents, Optics and Camo net

Good decision. Might have been even better to train something useful (scouting) for the commander and then retrain for free on 100% + 20, but that is a minor annoyance.

Noo_Noo #50 Posted 28 November 2013 - 11:44 PM

Major

• Player
  • 22560 battles
I can actually report that today has been a much better day.

Last game got the Mastery badge on this little beasty.

Tier 8 game, 612 damage, 3 kills and 866 XP (no premium here) and survived with very little damage.

I'm still learning the scouting stuff but I've found that if I can stay out of trouble (not really shoot anyone either) for the first 2 thirds of the game it then opens up and the pace of the tank makes a difference. i will then go and hunt ARTY in particular and generally get behind the opposing side. The BIG trick is that first portion of the game and staying safe and trying to contribute.

YukiEiriKun #51 Posted 29 November 2013 - 09:57 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 9969 battles
I'm horrible with scouts .. or .. almost in any tank out there, but still from time to time enemy is even worse.
One of the easiest AceTankers, and most .. unevenful?

HansiVonHinten #52 Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:40 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 45810 battles
  • [ORDEM] ORDEM
I still don't get it, sure it is fast and quick turner, but view range is not very good, armour where?, gun can penetrate if you are lucky (the 3cm fastfire gun is okay pen. but dame slow to reload).
On many maps scouting is not that important.

So WoT, stop putting light tanks up against much higer tiers, it is lame and makes many avoid playing lights.

CountOfTuscany #53 Posted 10 December 2013 - 12:04 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 4562 battles
  • [SMACK] SMACK
Just got my hands on this tank. free exp'd the engine, researched tracks and turret, put on the 5cm of the pz3. grinding exp for the 3cm.

I love the mobility of the tank and it's great view range. I have binocs and camo net equiped, so I can decently scout both passively and actively.

Now I'm not the best scout player in the world (I often take a look at tazilons map guides before the countdown is finished), I have had some bad grind with the 2cm flank gun (which doesn't really pen anything at tier 4+), but somehow I managed to get a 17%WR on my Luchs  :sad: . I have played some 15 matches, so the stat don't reallly say much at this stage, but I find 17%WR to be very bad. Did I just have poor RNG? Did I have ill luck with the teams I got in to? OR could it be my playstyle... (so far I focussed on staying alive = a dead scout is no use. (had some derp moment near the end of matches, and died as well) this causes me to play very careful, maybe to careful. In several battles I tried to distract the enemy team, with different succes)/

Ulv_Jaeger #54 Posted 10 December 2013 - 03:25 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 12872 battles
Just earned my 1st class mastery with this little cutie… It can't be that popular at the moment… 89% crew, carrying Binocs, Net, and Vents (I wish I had stuck with toolbox for now).

Playing Mines encounter south spawn position 2. I sat in the bush by the rock on the south island for a few minutes spotting alone. I tracked and beat up their Leopard (126 dmg) half way between the islands, the team finishing him for me. Spotted a VK 30.02M sniping the centre hill from North island. He made a move to flank the centre Hill via south so I tracked him mid water and beat him up a bit (91 dmg), team finished him too.

Then I raced to their base getting tracked but luckily spining out of shot (Toolbox would have been nice). Racing on to their base I spotted a second VK 30.02M protecting their Hummel. I tracked him and beat him up a bit (123 dmg), He hesitated and as soon as I had reloaded I peaked out and beat up their arty a bit, he rushed toward me, I retreated around the hill and flanked arty for another little beating (79 dmg), the enemy were capping at this point so I rush the cap and played hide behind the houses with there IS stalling the cap as the team finished him too.

Total Dmg 419, spotting Dmg 670 from 48 shots, 27 hits, 17 pens, Base Cap points 27, received two hits, 485 pot damage. Enemy was killed before cap.

K3rb3r0z #55 Posted 10 December 2013 - 02:51 PM

Private

• Player
  • 8941 battles
Had a (for me) epic game a few days ago.

12 spots, 1089 damage and three kills = 1513xp (non premium)

Spoiler                     

K3rb3r0z #56 Posted 10 December 2013 - 02:52 PM

Private

• Player
  • 8941 battles
*edit*
doublepost

Edited by K3rb3r0z, 10 December 2013 - 02:53 PM.

Tazilon #57 Posted 10 December 2013 - 04:41 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 966 battles
Here are some YouTubes of the Luchs in action, including several from maroar, Flinsenberger,  PuchaczTrado, and other drivers, as well.
http://www.tazilon.n.../LuchsHall.html

Edited by Tazilon, 10 December 2013 - 09:46 PM.

CountOfTuscany #58 Posted 10 December 2013 - 06:46 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 4562 battles
  • [SMACK] SMACK

View PostTazilon, on 10 December 2013 - 04:41 PM, said:

Here are some YouTubes of the Luchs in action, including several from maroar, flinsenberger,  PuchazTrado, and other drivers, as well.

Thanks Tazilon! I surely take a look at it.

Ulv_Jaeger #59 Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:45 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 12872 battles

View PostTazilon, on 10 December 2013 - 04:41 PM, said:

Here are some YouTubes of the Luchs in action, including several from maroar, Flinsenberger,  PuchaczTrado, and other drivers, as well.

Thanks, I stumbled upon the site and the Hall of fame videos earlier, and they were the reason for giving the Luchs another go.

Q. Is the Pz.38(t)na still preferred for scouting?
Is the T-15 usefull to help train the crew, or am i better off just getting used to the Luchs?

Tazilon #60 Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:27 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 966 battles

View PostUlv_Jaeger, on 10 December 2013 - 11:45 PM, said:

Thanks, I stumbled upon the site and the Hall of fame videos earlier, and they were the reason for giving the Luchs another go.
Q. Is the Pz.38(t)na still preferred for scouting?
Is the T-15 usefull to help train the crew, or am i better off just getting used to the Luchs?
Unlike most Scouts, I prefer the Pz38nA over the Luchs, however it is not part of the German Scout line - it is in the Heavy line which leads to the Maus.  If you are trying to get to the higher German scouts, you need to go through the Luchs.
As for using the T-15, unless you are planning on keeping your lower tiered tanks, why not just transfer their crew to your Luchs?

Edited by Tazilon, 11 December 2013 - 01:32 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users