Psychopathic attitude to the game

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

soolerman #1 Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:06 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 24366 battles
Ok first off I am not going to name the guy or the tread and this is not a wing tread.

What I am going to do is relate to you an exchange of views and ask you to comment. I would prefer you did NOT comment directly on the exchange. But rather on the sentiment of the two views expressed.

My reasons for doing this is curiosity {one of my big hobbies is philosophy} regarding the mind set of the other people playing this game. It is NOT to make an issue of the thing. So please no flaming any expressed views guys.

So hear we go.

I was reading a tread that a guy asked if he should give up the game as he was getting no better at it. I responded that if you are having fun then no {paraphrased}. I was then responded to directly by another guy and accused of having a near psychopathic attitude to the game {not paraphrased}. This was further elaborated on regarding the question of the guy that asked the question about giving up the game. As;- if you are not getting better at the game or as good as me you should not play the game. Because you are ruining it for me with your bad play {paraphrased}.

The rest of the exchange is not directly relevant to my question. Although I will note that the other person does have a very bad understanding of the adjective Psychopathic and some very unworldly views on people and the world as it relates to WoT.

What I would like to know for all of you is this;

If people are having fun doing something but are crap at it should they stop doing it?

I am not referring to anything like driving, cooking for friends or running the country. I am referring to stuff that being crap at is not going to do harm. I will let you decide what you think constitutes harm guys.

basin79 #2 Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:21 PM

General

• Player
  • 15351 battles
Of course if somebody is having fun and enjoying the game they should carry on playing.

That should be my answer. However it just depends on what their fun is.  It probably shouldn't but in a team based game like this, you of course should have fun but should also be trying to improve somewhat too. I do feel that the above statement could come across as ridiculously bad as it basically says that just having fun with the game isn't enough.  That isn't what I mean though. Surely to have fun in this game you really need to have good games. Win or lose a close game is tremendous fun.

I suppose it's a very subjective thread. What is fun for one person maybe isn't fun for the next. The idea of a fun game for person A) for example might be to see how many of their own team they can crash  into at the start. Person B) might enjoy seeing how fast they can die at the hands of the enemy. Person C) to see if they can get a top gun,  D)......... etc etc etc. On paper the question is a simple one and shouod have a very clear answer. Alas I'd be lying if I said I'd sooner person  A) and B) didn't go and take their fun to another game.

It's been a long day so apologies if this post has come across as the ramblings of an egotistical elitist. I'm far from that, check my stats and the proof is there.  I'm an average player who loves this game. I just wish more people had fun and actually tried to be a team player now and again. Now that does sound like an arse. I'll get my coat.

soolerman #3 Posted 07 August 2013 - 07:16 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 24366 battles

View Postbasin79, on 07 August 2013 - 06:21 PM, said:

Of course if somebody is having fun and enjoying the game they should carry on playing.

That should be my answer. However it just depends on what their fun is.  It probably shouldn't but in a team based game like this, you of course should have fun but should also be trying to improve somewhat too. I do feel that the above statement could come across as ridiculously bad as it basically says that just having fun with the game isn't enough.  That isn't what I mean though. Surely to have fun in this game you really need to have good games. Win or lose a close game is tremendous fun.

I suppose it's a very subjective thread. What is fun for one person maybe isn't fun for the next. The idea of a fun game for person A) for example might be to see how many of their own team they can crash  into at the start. Person B) might enjoy seeing how fast they can die at the hands of the enemy. Person C) to see if they can get a top gun,  D)......... etc etc etc. On paper the question is a simple one and shouod have a very clear answer. Alas I'd be lying if I said I'd sooner person  A) and B) didn't go and take their fun to another game.

It's been a long day so apologies if this post has come across as the ramblings of an egotistical elitist. I'm far from that, check my stats and the proof is there.  I'm an average player who loves this game. I just wish more people had fun and actually tried to be a team player now and again. Now that does sound like an arse. I'll get my coat.

Ah a thinking man. You encapsulate the conundrum. But you don’t bring it to the needle. As my old prof would say.

I personally would attach the definition of doing harm to your player A and B. As, I think would almost everyone. The point of the issues is the guys that are not good players and if they should play on. If we except that malicious play {playing in an intentionally adverse way} is harmful to other players. We can draw in on the point more clearly by saying unintentionally bad players should not play. Or should play on if they are having fun.

What would you say to that refined question? Or seeing as you are clearly someone that can think. In what way would you frame the debate? It must, I think, be framed to assume that people that are actively trying to destroy the enjoyment of others should push off. Or would you disagree? And at what point does just being really crap at the game but with on malicious intent become relevant if ever?

basin79 #4 Posted 07 August 2013 - 07:45 PM

General

• Player
  • 15351 battles
You have a way with words.

The simple answer to the question is that there isn't a simple answer. For ever relevant answer or explanation to try and solve the question of fun there is an answer or explanation to counter that claim.

The fact that this game can be played to a decent standard with very little time spent by a player needs to be addressed also. Simply by looking at the mini map throughout the game would massively improve a players game. So would a very quick and simple google search of tank weakspots although anything that looks like a vent, door, bubble etc usually is. If a player can't grasp those two simple and ultimately essential skills then maybe this game isn't for them in he first place. But they still might be having fun. They still might be getting something out of the game where others may not.

You could ask the question are the players who don't employ the necessary skills needed like I mentioned above not doing just as much harm to the team as those who shoot or otherwise thwart their allies?

It is an extremely good question for debate but one that can't be solved. I must admit I'm looking forward to reading some of the replies your question(s) get though.

Beast_From_The_East #5 Posted 08 August 2013 - 03:10 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 7457 battles
Why did that guy respond to you for having a "near psychopathic attitude" to the game when all you said was that "you shouldn't quit if you're having fun"?
That doesn't make any sense.

Your elaboration makes me come to the conclusion that this replier is going through either a case of sour grapes for whatever reason he may have or that he has some sort of overwhelming superiority complex, Seems like quite an unhinged person to throw the word psychopathic around carelessly like that.

"If people are having fun doing something but are crap at it should they stop doing it?"
I think that its quite obvious to most people that they should just keep playing, Some improvements arn't noticeable because they are so minute.

Reminds me of the Monkeys/Typewriters/Infinity conundrum.

K_A #6 Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:14 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 13670 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
If one enjoys playing the game their way they should be allowed to do so. Remember, with a player base as vast as World of Tank's, there are bound to be a magnificently huge number of players who aren't keen on improving their stats or learning the rather elaborate and complex game mechanics, but rather like to go out on the battlefield and shoot all the red things until they die. With 15 players on each team, both teams get their fair share of these "playing for the fun of it" players, and even though you sometimes feel that you are alone with 14 of them and the enemy team has none, sometimes it is the other way around and you will get the pleasure of quickening their inevitable route back to the garage.

I, for one, don't mind playing with people who are "crap" at playing WoT, as long as they don't do anything particularly harmful to our team. If I did, I would have rage-quit and uninstalled the game a long time ago. After all, this is just a game, and games are meant to be fun and entertaining. If it's not fun, there's no reason to play it, but if it is, there's no reason to quit playing it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users