Aufklärungspanther...good or awful?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
29 replies to this topic

Poll: Question [Aufklärungspanther good?] (57 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 250 battle in order to participate this poll.

Yay or nay?

1. Good (24 votes [42.11%])

Percentage of vote: 42.11%

2. Awful (33 votes [57.89%])

Percentage of vote: 57.89%

Vote Hide poll

MarkR17 #1 Posted 09 August 2013 - 05:21 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 6721 battles
Ok, from a former VK2801 driver.....

Ok, I describe my playstyle when driving a VK2801. It was somewhat map dependant. Back then, before they nerfed the VK2801 (from tier 5 end line scout to tier 6 regular scout), I used it as an active scout, utilizing its viewrange and speed to scout. And hunting arty when possible. Crew was trained quickly for some reason (it got a lot XP), then it got nerfed. And sold it.
They promised us with the RU251. I still wonder where it is....

No I have no idea how this thing is. The plan is slightly different though.

First, I buy this vehicle while it is discounted. It won't be played for a couple of weeks though. Assuming I still got my old VK2801 crew, I train it in another german light tank until its ready. I also wait for an equipment sale for that matter. While collecting enough Free XP to get both tracks and turret. Once everything is there listed above, I could start playing the Aufklärungspanther.

Equipment wise, its going to be a rammer, optics and v.stabs. Assuming it can mount a V.Stab to begin with. When not, then its going to be vents.
Camo net wont be there due my playstyle as an active scout.

Which leads to the next question...does active scouting work on the APanther? The issue is...just look at its size....Sure, lights have the same camo while on the move, at best it has the same camo as some of the medium tanks....and its too big to hide behind a bush, so passive scouting wont likely work on this tank anyway. To make matters worse, the view range is still 390m!! The tank is way bigger than the VK2801 while still having the same view range...

Then there is the option to play it like a mobile medium tank. However, matchmaking and a rather low penetration compared to medium tanks make this rather difficult. And I am not willing to spam gold shells, again.

The final question. Do light tanks in randoms still make sense? Artillery is rare now, many games start without arty. Of course there are TDs. I spot the enemy, the TDs will shoot at them...Would probably not really work as an anti-scout since autoloaders can do this role better. (encountering french lights back then in the VK2801 did not end pretty for me)

Or simply not get this tank at all. I still think that this is going to be the only german tier 7 light tank, alternative german tier 7 lights won't come out I think

pitypanggg #2 Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:05 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 35310 battles
It can snipe or flank. Can passive scout. Can halfcourt scout as well with some ridgeline. But can not do real active scouting.
In T8 and even some T9 battles it can do some nice damage. Can ram any overconfident stationary autoloader (like batmobile, probably a bad idea with US heavy though) that is busy unloading, but any decent player will avoid your ramming attempt.
Still I often start shooting after I passive scout and my team fails to damage enemies, and end up 2k+ damage. The gun pens surprisingly good for it's paper stat (probably due to accuracy, which it really has, it is not random like the tiger guns that has only paper acc, but love to spray the shots).
The bigger problem is you get T10 fights more frequently, often with no T8 tanks at all, sometimes only 1-2 T9-s. The tank is not up to that at all. If your team is bad there, you could as well go back to garage.

I_Manth #3 Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:15 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 33159 battles
  • [SN_RO] SN_RO
Don't attempt to actively scout, you'll be blown to pieces right away. This thing has the size of an aircraft carrier and will be spotted real fast, after which the enemy will have difficulty to miss such a big target. I use my Aufkl Panther more as a sniper/passive scout (provided there is a whole forrest to hide the tank). I haven't played it much since arty got nerfed so can't really comment on how that changed performance.

Don't forget how heavy your tank is. Ramming an AMX 13 90 to death from near full HP is fun.  :great:

filefool #4 Posted 12 August 2013 - 01:55 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 20058 battles
  • [NGZ] NGZ
I sold mine as soon as i had enough XP accumulated for everything that the Sout Panther might lead to.
But this doesn't mean i hated it. I enjoyed driving it, it felt like the mobile medium the Panther always should have been. The big problem is that this vehicle is kind of a jack of all trades, master of none.

And unless you get the chance to ram them, it's not good a intercepting enemy scouts either, because every light tank of equal or higher tier has much more firepower than you do. It's more of a hit and run tank. Harass the enemy and be gone before they get a chance to shoot back. This way you can open opprtunities for your team by distracting bigger threats.
And always have an escape route ready.

telamiina #5 Posted 12 August 2013 - 05:15 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 12207 battles
  • [POP] POP
Its quite hard to master. supporter and ligh flanker, sniper also. Not so mutch scout though, can do some scouting runs if map allows it, have some cover that is.

Only problem is horrible camo it has,but for a large scout in tier X battle,well... it's a HUGE problem.

Lancasthor #6 Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:37 AM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 19049 battles

View Postfilefool, on 12 August 2013 - 01:55 PM, said:

The big problem is that this vehicle is kind of a jack of all trades, master of none.

Ramming?

Actually it is a master of being the cool guy when a friendly batchat fails miserably and you manage to do his job perfectly.
As a reward you'll get "Gj arty" or some other badly aimed praises, because extremely good scouting and lightwork is rarely recognized by anyone.

Overperforming is a personal victory, even when your team loses.
Obsolete junk + awesome herocis = you win the WoT.
Auf.P is the master of that.

Be prepared to lose horribly a dozen times for the one round where unforseen skill shines though.

filefool #7 Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:11 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 20058 battles
  • [NGZ] NGZ

View PostLancasthor, on 13 August 2013 - 07:37 AM, said:

Ramming?

Ramming is very circumstantial and not exactly something a scout should specialize in. If you ram someone, you stop. And a scout that is neither moving nor hiding is usually dead quite fast. Sure, occasionally there's that lone AMX 13 trying to sneak past your lines which almost flips over when you come down the hill screaming "Charge!"

The scout Panther is versatile and can react to many situations but it's not good at anything in particular.

My suggestion would be to give it 430m viewrange and 800m radio range. That would make him stand out from all other scouts and it would be able to achieve something as a scout.

sawthumbz #8 Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:02 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 13521 battles

View Postsawthumbz, on 08 August 2013 - 02:01 AM, said:

and despite what wiki says,quote it gets OCCASIONAL tier10 games, its a lie, it gets tier10games FREQUENTLY, so if you enjoy being 3tiers lower than everybody else in a tank thats as big as a  house with weak turret armour, and poorer viewing range than most other high tier scouts,,well make your own mind up,,,ive played it alot,,and get quite frustrated,,,but saying all that, if you land a tier 8or9 game and your team arent pubtards, its pretty good,i kind of like it, in a sick sort of way :amazed:

sawthumbz #9 Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:10 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 13521 battles
auf panther  good or  awful,,,the tanks good but the matchmaking it gets is terrible,as other players have said its fun to drive, but against tier10 whats the point of even being in the game,,is it what ive come to suspect,, to give weaker tier10 players an easy kill, if you land a tier10 game you might as well leave the tank on the spawnpoint and exit the game

Edited by sawthumbz, 13 August 2013 - 07:14 PM.

Lancasthor #10 Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:58 AM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 19049 battles

View Postsawthumbz, on 13 August 2013 - 07:10 PM, said:

auf panther  good or  awful,,,the tanks good but the matchmaking it gets is terrible,as other players have said its fun to drive, but against tier10 whats the point of even being in the game,,is it what ive come to suspect,, to give weaker tier10 players an easy kill, if you land a tier10 game you might as well leave the tank on the spawnpoint and exit the game

No.

Typical scout takes those two or three shots regardless of the tier.
Instead being in high tier match it gives you:

A) Bonus for damaging higher tier targets
B) More spotting damage.
C) More experienced team to support your work.

Grow a pair and take it as an opportunity. Nobody expects you to turn tide with damage, but with clever spotting and fast situational awardness, you still can.

JazZka #11 Posted 16 August 2013 - 01:58 PM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 20519 battles
  • [MOP] MOP
This tank would work perfectly well as tier 7 medium with the exact same stats as it has as a scout tank, as comparison to the ordinary Panther trading gun performance to agility. And to me it's the annoying part with this tank, it is not bad because what it is but it is bad because of the company he's forced to be with.

Ragoutrabbit #12 Posted 18 August 2013 - 04:34 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 10828 battles
Never seen them do anything but fail miserably.

3Form #13 Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:32 AM

Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 18229 battles

View Postfilefool, on 13 August 2013 - 08:11 AM, said:

My suggestion would be to give it 430m viewrange and 800m radio range. That would make him stand out from all other scouts and it would be able to achieve something as a scout.

Whewph! You're advocating serious power creep here.

It would be much more sensible to nerf the view range of the "combat lights" i.e. WZ series, AMX 13 series, in order to make the view ranges of the "scout lights" (Chaffee, Leopard line, T-50 line) more competitive. Also some of the higher tier mediums could use view range tweaking to further these ends.

Askorti #14 Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:23 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 11776 battles

View PostRagoutrabbit, on 18 August 2013 - 04:34 AM, said:

Never seen them do anything but fail miserably.
I don't think I failed miserably... And it wasn't even that good of a game.

Edited by Askorti, 18 August 2013 - 08:32 AM.

sawthumbz #15 Posted 18 August 2013 - 02:37 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 13521 battles
LANCASTHOR,,,, what youve written sounds great,,but im sorry, i think
your  wrong ,,,(quote)  mm gives more experienced team,,does it?,when did that miracle occur,,,mm gives me usually permanent muppets or pubtards,awful panther is to large,to weakly armed, camo factor a joke, to be effective as a tier 10 scout,,,tier 8 or 9 ok its viable,,if you check even wiki says its NOT A SCOUT,,so are they wrong? ,and if its not a scout whats it doing in tier10 games where it doesnt stand a chance,,,in my opinion its there to give weaker tier 10 players an easy kill,,,,because in tier10 it cant do anything else

Edited by sawthumbz, 18 August 2013 - 02:47 PM.

Tazilon #16 Posted 18 August 2013 - 04:51 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 966 battles
Mark,
You really want to set up for passive scouting not active.  The Auf Panther is a huge target and easy to see for a Scout.  You can only survive active scouting against extremely incompetent opponents.  If you are facing pub regulars, you will be toast.  Perhaps you would have a chance if you are facing mostly clan clowns.
Yes, it can mount Vert Stabs, although its gun is pretty accurate already; not sure if vert stabs wouldn't be somewhat of a waste of a slot.

Edited by Tazilon, 18 August 2013 - 04:55 PM.

Tazilon #17 Posted 18 August 2013 - 04:54 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 966 battles

View Postsawthumbz, on 18 August 2013 - 02:37 PM, said:

LANCASTHOR,,,, what youve written sounds great,,but im sorry, i think
your  wrong ,,,(quote)  mm gives more experienced team,,does it?,when did that miracle occur,,,mm gives me usually permanent muppets or pubtards,awful panther is to large,to weakly armed, camo factor a joke, to be effective as a tier 10 scout,,,tier 8 or 9 ok its viable,,if you check even wiki says its NOT A SCOUT,,so are they wrong? ,and if its not a scout whats it doing in tier10 games where it doesnt stand a chance,,,in my opinion its there to give weaker tier 10 players an easy kill,,,,because in tier10 it cant do anything else

Actually the wiki DOES say it is a Scout.  The following is a direct quote from the wiki:

"The following vehicles are marked as Scouts:

USSR: T-50, MT-25
Germany: Pz.Kpfw. 38 (t) n.A., Pz.Kpfw. II Luchs, VK 16.02 Leopard, VK 28.01, Aufklärungspanzer Panther
United States: M24 Chaffee, T21, T71
France: ELC AMX, AMX 12 t, AMX 13 75, AMX 13 90
China: M5A1 Stuart, 59-16, WZ-131, WZ-132"

(bold mine)

sawthumbz #18 Posted 18 August 2013 - 05:54 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 13521 battles
ok read  all of the wiki on the awfulpanther  and it says,,,, quote,,, (the auf pz panther is not a scout tank!,it has the scout mm which means you will see occasional tier ten games) so get your facts right ive already checked,, :sceptic:

Edited by sawthumbz, 18 August 2013 - 06:00 PM.

filefool #19 Posted 18 August 2013 - 10:39 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 20058 battles
  • [NGZ] NGZ

View Postsawthumbz, on 18 August 2013 - 05:54 PM, said:

ok read  all of the wiki on the awfulpanther  and it says,,,, quote,,, (the auf pz panther is not a scout tank!,it has the scout mm which means you will see occasional tier ten games) so get your facts right ive already checked,, :sceptic:
Let's see:
- It got a scout matchmaker. So the game treats it like a scout.
- "Aufklärungspanzer" literally means "reconnaissance tank" in german. So the Germans back in WW2 designed it as a scout tank.
- It's classified as light tank although it weighs more than some mediums in it's tier. So WG designed it as a scout.
If something walks, talks and smells like a turd on tracks, it may very well be exactly that.
That statement from the wiki should be treated just as a warning that the vehicle sucks at scouting.

Edited by filefool, 18 August 2013 - 10:44 PM.

sawthumbz #20 Posted 19 August 2013 - 12:42 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 13521 battles
i agree,but original discusion was is it good or awful, so what im trying to get across is, its a good tank with awful matchmaking,,and i add this is ONLY MY OPINION,,,hopefully if RU251 is introduced to game it will scout tier10 games and awful panther,scout up to tier9,,which would be fairer matchmaking for a tier7 light tank with a tier5 gun

Edited by sawthumbz, 19 August 2013 - 12:46 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users