Anyone out there who plays vanilla WoT?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
53 replies to this topic

MarkR17 #1 Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:21 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 6721 battles
Vanilla WoT = WoT without any mods whatsoever.
Yes, as simple as that. I started using some basic mods like XVM and that one crosshair mod only to remove them (mostly).
The rest will removed eventually.
There are a couple of issues:
-Updating the mods every time a new version of WoT is released. Nuff said. I know, I should know better, maybe I am just too lazy, but it is quite annoying.
It does not help at all that some players with mods forget that, their game crashes when they start a battle and that player is unavailable. Effectively an AFK player, without the deliberate AFK part (the name is greyed out)
-Screen clutter. There is some useful info that mods provide nice info. But in the case of the crosshair mod, for me it actually clutters the screen too much. I need a clear view of my target. Sure, the info showed on it like reload time and the improved circle is nice but I just need a basic cross hair with a clear view, like the vanilla crosshair.
-"Chilling effect" Unless there is a list somewhere that shows banned mods, I never know what mods are allowed and what are not allowed. I would not risk playing with a mod that does look fine for me, but is actually banned. Those two mods should be fine, but I do now know what happens with them in the future.
For the same reason, I believe that any mods that make the view clearer in some way are illegal and I do not have them
-XVM is a special case on its own and I leave it at that. Since I am not going to apply for a clan, I ignore there stats. It does not help that the stats shows the global performance and not the specific tank performance. At least the "Chance to win" is turned off by default, which spoils me in both ways (losing hope back then months ago when you get a low chance to win or being overconfident when you get a high chance to win). Since it shows global performance, it is prone to stat padding, which makes these stats even less reliable. For the same reason it kinda puts some players on an disadvantage, which are experimental and play a large variety of tanks, but can actually only be really good in a few tanks. So I removed that. Given that XVM can be configured I could change that. Those numbers also appear fairly crpytic in the beginning if you don't understand them. The ingame clock is actually a very nice thing to have however so not everything is bad.
-Garage mods. Not installed any of them so far, but judging from the WG special garages I do not want them. They stress my PC a little bit too much. The vanilla garage is fine. Yes, people tell me I should get a better PC. I got a fairly decent one and not a cr-p PC. The real problem is, that in the hot summer, that my PC gets quite loud when I stay in that special garage (usually it does not happen in norma garages). Given that I fear that garage mods do roughly the same, with more or less optimization, I do not really like that. However, if there are any "simple" garage mods available I would get them. I mean that actually puts less stress on the computer. They are not illegal since they do not provide any advantage whatsoever.
-Skins. While weakspot skins are legal, they kinda ruin the atmosphere. It feels like playing with hacks. Same applies to normal skins. Some of them use wrong colors that kill atmosphere again. (think about bright orange colors in a war enviroment). Camo skins are kinda fine, except that they confuse me into thinking that they have camo skin, since the offical camo paint provides a camo bonus. Ok, you can change the camo paint too for that matter, but you have to buy the right camo first, which is too expensive for me at the moment. Last but not least are total conversions that turn one tank into another in terms of looks (T110E5 into Abrams, T-62A into T-80U, you name it). The problem with that the model changes, but not the hitboxes. I still must be able to aim for these weakspots.
-And I heard somewhere that you can change the crew names somewhere by editing some files. I have no idea whatsoever, but I think its illegal. You know, you are supposed to pay real money for that.
I know, its just my opinion, hate me for that, you do not have to accpet my opinion.
I simply do not like mods. Some other use mods and I am fine with that.
And I do not hate them fully. There are some features I really like, like an ingame clock. Or a clean garage...
Yeah..anyone out there who plays vanilla WoT?EDIT: I am aware that I cannot call myself playing vanilla WoT, since it requires not to have any mods instally at all, but I will remove all of my mods in the future. At least by the time WoT updates to 8.8.

Edited by MarkR17, 13 August 2013 - 12:26 PM.

WildeJagd #2 Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:26 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 7540 battles
I only recently installed XVM, for the single reason of having tank types and "last seen" markers on the minimap. That's a real benefit. I could easily do without everything else.

Edited by WildeJagd, 13 August 2013 - 12:26 PM.

Kanjejou #3 Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:28 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 12772 battles
  • [FROG] FROG
That a bit like cheating to me it s like putting high tech radar and systeme in a WW2 game

I only use it in Clan war an compagnie battle because almost every clan use it.

MarkR17 #4 Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:28 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 6721 battles

View PostWildeJagd, on 13 August 2013 - 12:26 PM, said:

I only recently installed XVM, for the single reason of having tank types and "last seen" markers on the minimap. That's a real benefit. I could easily do without everything else.

Ok, the minimap feature is quite nice, but is there a way to turn these names off? They clutter the minimap for me too much IMO. I just need the tank type, like in the normal vanilla version.

Trollisljotiresns #5 Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:30 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 11482 battles
I use only the WoT tweaker, simply to get more FPS. Tried XVM for a few hours, then uninstalled.

Galm1 #6 Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:36 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 20260 battles
Running with XVM and jimbo's crosshair, as I can't stand the vanilla ones.

Sparrowbird101 #7 Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:36 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 19862 battles
  • [KIA2] KIA2
I played WoT without mods for my first 10k battles.  Now have Jimbo's crosshair.  That's it.

The only reason I have Jimbo's is because I was being pestered by clan mates because I didn't know how long I had left to reload - I play arty a lot.

Mucker #8 Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:37 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 25020 battles
Vanilla here,

yaourti #9 Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:37 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 5961 battles
  • [DUMBA] DUMBA
I play 100% vanilla:

I tend to run at around 24fps and sometimes experience a bit of lag when I zoom in through a lot of foliage so WoT tweaker sounds interesting, do many use this?

LetsRockAndRoll #10 Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:47 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 24738 battles
I used to play on a laptop and used every mod going that increased fps, never got it over 20fps on minimum settings.
Now I have a gaming rig and play vanilla on max settings with constant 80/100 fps.
A decent rig makes one hell of a difference to this game.

Etova_Kala #11 Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:48 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 8539 battles

View PostKanjejou, on 13 August 2013 - 12:28 PM, said:

That a bit like cheating to me it s like putting high tech radar and systeme in a WW2 game

I only use it in Clan war an compagnie battle because almost every clan use it.

The minimap itself is a like a high tech radar system.

I don't use any mods, mainly because I either haven't found one to suit my needs or it always comes with a load of other features that I don't want.

LetsRockAndRoll #12 Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:51 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 24738 battles

View Postyaourti, on 13 August 2013 - 12:37 PM, said:

I play 100% vanilla:

I tend to run at around 24fps and sometimes experience a bit of lag when I zoom in through a lot of foliage so WoT tweaker sounds interesting, do many use this?

Wot tweaker and compressed textures will gain you maybe 10fps. But make sure you take a copy of the res/packages folder before you use them. When a new patch arrives overwrite your res/packages folder with your copy or the launcher will download the whole client and not just the patch.

jayohaitchenn #13 Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:54 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 10099 battles
I'm 100% vanilla.

Spek_en_Bonen #14 Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:55 PM

First Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 17948 battles
About a year ago I played with a zoom mod for a while (for about a month).
Vanilla for the rest of the duration...

yaourti #15 Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:56 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 5961 battles
  • [DUMBA] DUMBA
Thanks for the advice letsrockandroll, I might experiment with those- low fps (mine's normally okayish in the 20's) and lag can really screw you up from time to time.

LetsRockAndRoll #16 Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:04 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 24738 battles

View Postyaourti, on 13 August 2013 - 12:56 PM, said:

Thanks for the advice letsrockandroll, I might experiment with those- low fps (mine's normally okayish in the 20's) and lag can really screw you up from time to time.

No problem, I know what it's like in your situation.
The compressed textures comes in 2 versions, 25% and 3%. As you will be playing on minimum settings they won't make much difference to the visual quality of the game and will increase your fps. But you will still suffer an fps drop when switching to sniper mode.
Don't forget to copy your res/packages folder first though.

XxAl3xX #17 Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:08 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 19788 battles
  • [TA-RE] TA-RE
I use only Jimbo's crosshair mod+XVM+locastan statistics and enhanced minimaps mods.
All I need in only 4 mods.

yaourti #18 Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:15 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 5961 battles
  • [DUMBA] DUMBA

View PostLetsRockAndRoll, on 13 August 2013 - 01:04 PM, said:

Don't forget to copy your res/packages folder first though.

will do so, thanks again.

Kyntteri #19 Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:21 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 4145 battles
I don't anymore see myself playing without the superb gnomefather's engine and gun sound mods. They're mouth watering good compared to the original WoT sounds.

xtram3x #20 Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:26 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 19712 battles
  • [BASE] BASE
100% vanilla but I am tempted to use one to enhance the minimap for last location data

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users