• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

Pandabird #1 Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:29 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 33973 battles
  • [KOFF] KOFF
Heyo!

Pondered about wether or not there's enough reason to post this at all, but seeing it's a common source of media on this forum (i.e gameplay videos) I sense some might share my opinion.

Youtube isn't really what it used to be.
Don't take me wrong. Youtube is a massive source of media from all around the world to all around the world, it's concept is great and it's an admireable internet giant.
Being an active user of the page (hell, i'd watch funny videos every day if i could) I have to accept and come to terms with every change they make, but some things are just unfair.

First they started messing with the front page. Several times. It's their page and they can do what they want, but i always struggled to get used to it, and when i finally did, they always changed it again. At some point it had some sort of "random videos that might suit you" feature  that seemed to work, but nowadays it's just a bunch of boxes with crap in them. Finding something remotely related to your interests is hard, especially when the same uninteresting "recommended" videos reappear in that stupid list even if you try to remove them. I noticed "watching" them makes them go away, but then after a while recommended videos of the recommended video appeared, not even remotely related to my interests. At this point that feature of the site was dead to me.
Oh, and funny enough you can be registered with a google account but it won't let you comment on the videos. bad.

Alright.
The real troubles began when they started messing with the actual player.
Does anyone actually use the subtitle feature? I think it's utterly broken, not that it ever worked to begin with. 1/10.
The biggest let down of all is the messy video quality options. I have a horribly slow net every other month, and trying to watch a video that constantly reloads itself obviously trying to accomplish something impossible until it's ordered to play with the lowest setting available, then forgetting the command if put full screen. It's frustrating having to wait 10 minutes, then 10 more minutes and so on...

Well, that was until they got the Brilliant idea to stop loading the video if paused, and reloading the video if you try to backtrack to a previous moment which looks like it has loaded
Obviously some attempt to save server resources, but it makes it impossible for anyone with dial-up or satellite connection to use the page anymore.

Finally:
Those advertisements. God DAMN those advertisements. How many times have i not put on a sleeping pill playlist at home (like some boring let's play) just to be awakend by some garbage Advertisement video blaring at triple the average soundlevel of the videos. Some can't even be skipped. You just have to get up, turn the volume down, wait, turn up the volume, go back to sleep, get up, pull the power plug and swear to god NEVER to buy ANYTHING advertised that awful way.

If you agree, tell me what frustrates you
If not, convince me.

tl:dr
Youtube is cool but advertisements suck and the player is kinda broken, won't work at all with slow net.

cheers!

basin79 #2 Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:35 PM

General

• Player
  • 15351 battles
To be honest for something that is free I find YOUTUBE absolutely phenomenal. It's an absolute fountain of knowledge and fun. I've never had any video issues but then again I only watch it on my phone. The adverts don't bother me. They're necessary for the channel to continue.

Edited by basin79, 14 August 2013 - 05:36 PM.

Devantejah #3 Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:58 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 8358 battles
  • [WOWS] WOWS
Nothing will ever stay the way it was, even if it actually don't change. The mind will see to that.

As for advertisements, use adblock.

Pandabird #4 Posted 14 August 2013 - 06:02 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 33973 battles
  • [KOFF] KOFF

View Postbasin79, on 14 August 2013 - 05:35 PM, said:

To be honest for something that is free I find YOUTUBE absolutely phenomenal. It's an absolute fountain of knowledge and fun. I've never had any video issues but then again I only watch it on my phone. The adverts don't bother me. They're necessary for the channel to continue.
Was not picking on the presence of advertisements, but the increase in sound levels are just disturbing.
It might just be a regional thing, but i think it should be up to me to determine my own sense of hearing, not them.
If there's some sort of equalizing program that monitor and dampen all speaker sounds above a certain level i'd be very happy to learn more about it

sword_of_Damocles #5 Posted 14 August 2013 - 06:09 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 59482 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
Too many bloody adverts in youtube nowadays  :sceptic:

basin79 #6 Posted 14 August 2013 - 06:11 PM

General

• Player
  • 15351 battles

View PostPandabird, on 14 August 2013 - 06:02 PM, said:

Was not picking on the presence of advertisements, but the increase in sound levels are just disturbing.It might just be a regional thing, but i think it should be up to me to determine my own sense of hearing, not them.If there's some sort of equalizing program that monitor and dampen all speaker sounds above a certain level i'd be very happy to learn more about it

Ah right. The sound levels don't change on my phone.  

It would be annoying but watching Jingles vids and people falling over and off things more than make up for any little niggles surely.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users