350 replies to this topic

krazypenguin #1 Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:52 AM

Major

• Player
  • 30481 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

POPULAR

Introduction

Historically, the KV-2 was borne out of the need to provide a bunker busting 152mm howitzer as close support to the troops. The existing KV chassis was the obvious choice to mount this huge gun due to its size and heavy armour but even then a massive turret was required in order to fit the enormous howitzer. This led to the initial naming convention of “little turret“ and “big turret“ but this soon changed to the normal tanks being designated KV-1 and the howitzer armed ones the KV-2.

In World of Tanks the KV-2 sits in a slightly unusual position, being researched from the KV-1 and leading not to another heavy tank but instead to the tier 7 artillery, the S-51. As it does not lay on a direct path to a tier 10 tank this accounts for its relative scarcity on the battlefield. But it is a fantastic tank with some unique and very rewarding gameplay and deserves more attention.
Therefore, let’s take a detailed look at the tank the Soviet troops in WW2 called “The Dreadnought“

In WoT, the KV-2 never existed as a seperate tank until patch 7.3.  Prior to that, there was just the KV-1 and you had the option of using the regular KV-1 turret and guns or mounting the KV-2 turret and DERP gun.  But with patch 7.3 the KV-2 was added as a seperate tank and, because of the gun, bumped up a tier to tier 6.

Getting the KV-2

Spoiler

Battle Tier Spread

Spoiler

Modules

Spoiler

Skills

Spoiler

Equipment

Spoiler

The Fastest Gun in the East

Spoiler

Play Style

Spoiler

The economics of running a KV-2 - credit earnings

Spoiler

The KV-2 versus other tanks - one shot kill \ maximum damage guide

Spoiler

Special Mention - Big Cats and the Tier 10 E-100 !!!

Spoiler

Replays

KV-2 Skins
Spoiler

Changelog (Recording changes to the KV-2 in new patches)

Spoiler

Summary
For me, the KV-2 is an absolute joy to play and the ultimate stress buster. When I've had a run of bad games, or tire of the "usual" gameplay, I'll often take the KV-2 out and go hunting big tier 8 tanks or blow away tier 5 tanks with one shot like the rolling trollgun of doom that I am. It also encourages me to curb my sometimes reckless attitude and play more carefully, which helps when I go back to playing my faster tanks.

Gif courtesy of Ectar who said I could have it as he had stolen it off reddit himself! ;-)

Edited by krazypenguin, 22 March 2017 - 10:00 AM.

SoldatKrutzen #2 Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:59 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 19977 battles
  • [-LGD-] -LGD-
You, sir +1! Good reading!

krazypenguin #3 Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:00 PM

Major

• Player
  • 30481 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
A replay demonstrating the power of the KV-2 and the need for patience:

http://wotreplays.co...azypenguin-kv-2

Redshire is the map and the battle goes down to the wire with me playing my KV-2 very cautiously, remembering that I have a terrible view range and am vulnerable if I let the enemy close on me (you'll see I frequently pull back to keep the distance between us).  A really rewarding battle :-)

Panzer_Fenris #4 Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:12 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 16307 battles
Good guide, I have nothing to add except:

View Postkrazypenguin, on 21 August 2013 - 11:52 AM, said:

El Halluf - Special Mention
El Halluf is an interesting map for the KV-2 player because it seems to be designed to get the worst out of the KV-2.  The KV-2 is not equipped to drop down into the valley, certainly not until the end game, because it lacks the speed to seek cover and even if it does somehow get behind a rock, it is so large it can still get hit from most directions.  And once down there its view range is not good enough to spot the enemy on the ridge line anway.
In my opinion, the best thing to do with the KV-2 in this situation is hang back up the top on your side and either snipe at spotted targets or even blind fire at usual places enemies go to.  It's always interesting post battle to see that this often works and you'll find you can damage or even outright kill using this method!  Later, if the battle needs your help you can use the most appropriate slope to help get down into the action as quickly as possible, rather than having to crawl across the valley floor or even up a slope.

I've had quite a bit of luck going in the NW heavy corner when starting at south base. The problem when trying to get trough there is usually that you have to drive too far up and expose yourself to get the gun depression to hit the larger weak spots of the enemy. With the KV-2 you can just throw a shell as soon as you get their turrets in view. Been pivotal in plenty of breaktroughs there in tier 8 matches, with around 2.5-3 k damage done total.

krazypenguin #5 Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:37 PM

Major

• Player
  • 30481 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Will add these sections once the forum editing issues are resolved! ;-)

Cover
Sometimes the massive size of the KV-2 can actually work in its favour.  There are many pieces of cover on all the maps that the KV-2 can take advantage of to fire over the top off, when a smaller tank would have to leave cover to take a shot.  Look for firing through windows, over the top of piles of rubble or even using the random cars and lorries that are on many maps - just remember that they can only absorb one shot for you!  Best of all however, if that the KV-2 is so tall you can fire over many over tanks - so feel free to use your team mates to shield you from incoming fire!

Skills
I run my KV-2 as follows:  Commander has sixth sense (because knowing if you have been spotted is vital) and everyone else has repairs (because a tracked KV-2 is a dead KV-2).  For the second skills I have taken repair for the commander, clutch braking for the driver (anything to help turning), snap shot for the gunner (anything to help aiming), situational awareness for the radio man (anything to help view range) and safe stowage and intuition for the loaders.

Equipment
My KV-2 carries a Large Calibre Gun Rammer to help with the long reload time, a toolbox (because I hate being tracked) and a pair of binoculars (because I hate being unable to see things before they can see me and every little helps).  Other options are Vents  thanks to the +5% bonus to all skills and an enhanced gun laying drive to help with the aim time but I still feel, personally, that a toolbox and bins are more useful to me.

DiabloD #6 Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:32 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 22967 battles
  • [ENRGY] ENRGY
Awesome review ! +1 sir !
Hope you do more of these !  :blinky:

Eokokok #7 Posted 22 August 2013 - 02:58 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 21075 battles
KV-1S is easy kill up front - LFP let's HE inside 90% of times, and it just blowes him to pieces.

Rammelkas #8 Posted 22 August 2013 - 03:49 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 26497 battles
El Halluf... the mountains above the river mouth SE have been remodeled a bit and South side now has a little dip half-way down which will cover at least the hull while allowing you shots around the usual cover North team uses. If playing North the remodeled hill at the same location has a ridge line that will cover you and break contact in the reload.

The South team spot depends on your friendly mediums / lights rushing down to the river mouth to spot for you. If you both depart the base they will be well on their way down the valley before you usually make your way around to the edge of the South to drop down.

North's spot can get pings on red tanks on the opposite edge, but not see as far as the main ridge line across without help from teammates. But it is easier to get back out of there by simply driving along the back as you'd still be beyond the maximum draw distance from enemy guns.

Mid-map there are now small ridges below the main spots half-way down. If you use the nearer one it is possible to get surprising angles on red team trying to flank North or SE.

CrySpy #9 Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:03 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 27448 battles
  • [KNJPZ] KNJPZ
I must say that I approve of this guide. I have played it since it was T5 and the usage of the 152mm is exclusive, which means I am close to 1,5k games with it.
While Sixth Sense is very useful I dont feel the need of it on the KV-2 as strongly as with other tanks as you are behind cover most of the time.
I have prioritized on improving aimtime and rate of fire over everything. Vents, rammer and gunlaying drive and the relevant skills(cant remeber them all, fourth skill :D) The mod I am using shows that I have just under 20 seconds of reload with it.

I have experienced "everything" in it.

Listy #10 Posted 22 August 2013 - 05:15 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 12157 battles
You forgot two things. Otherwise very nice read.
1: Gun trajectory. You can often chip shots over cover and hit enemies that think they're safe. All due to the 152mm's low muzzle velocity.
2: On ammo. Fire AP ammo at lighter tanks. You hit just about any tier 6 or lower medium you'll blow them in half. I normally get 1-2 one shot kills at the start of the game due to having AP loaded. If you can take it on with a 6Pdr, then lob a AP round at it.
The beauty of the KV-2 is you can load 18 Rnds of both HE and AP, and not need to balance their use, I mean who here has shot 19 times in a KV-2 in a single game?

Edited by Listy, 22 August 2013 - 05:15 PM.

ZecvonZecstein #11 Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:09 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 111063 battles
  • [FSKN] FSKN
Using GLD, Vents, Rammer
Have a 4 skill crew on it :)
reload with BIA is 19.8

had a few tier 8 battles where i was the top damage dealer with 4-4,5k damage :)

Dugalle #12 Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:23 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 19118 battles
  • [NOL] NOL
+1 for a good guide.
-As i got a good bunch of KV-2 (including pre-split KV) games, i can also add that this tank is far from bad for mobility. Yeah, it's only 34km/h for the top speed. But as the beginning, i most of the time get quickly a bit ahead of most tanks like Tiger II, T34 and others like that. And i'm not abusing (okay lie) removed speed governor.
-Talking about  RSG, it can be a life saver as the engine boost can help defeat a guy circle-strafing you, usually doom of a KV-2. It can and it will give you a better start in the need of a pursuit, or a quick start-up once you have stopped from your cruiser speed. Saved my life more than i can count. Extinguishers aren't that useful, i don't catch fire that often, and if so, it means that i got a guy on my rear/side, and well, not much likeliness i'll survive.
-Use your height: as the kv-2 is extremly tall, you can go for risky maneouvers, such as face-hugging low tanks, and get a nice, easy shot on the roof, with HE. And a penetration,  unless serious bad luck, that is. Of course, you'd wish to be 1v1 and try to "convince" the other that you're a big ass noob/in a hopeless situation and go facehug his "superior" tank with your lumbering piece of armor. Only works if you got some health so soak damage, that is.
-Use your brain: You can frontally penetrate a T34 with HE, but it's not obvious to all: Commander Cupola for the most obvious, and to my surprise (due to the steep angle), the LFP. You can cripple/kill from front a JPII, if you know that the Fuel Tank is on the lower left corner of the UFP. And so on. That's what makes the difference between a noob derper, and a skilled KV-2 driver: knowledge of the ennemy tank.
Knowing where to shoot to damage the ammo rack, the fuel tank, loaders, gunner, and so on, that's the thing that will help your team.
Also, i got "Eagle Eye" on my KV-2, and as it's quite map-dependent....it can be quite good to know that the Jagdtiger your team is fighting has a dead loader and a half dead ammo rack. For best results, play with a vocal chat.
-Armor is average, but gun mantlet is, as we talked with Soldat, extremly tough: up to 200mm, that can bounce, or sometime just absorb IS-3 shells.
Make the best of it by hulldowning sometimes and pra they aim here :)
-Know the map: Well, after playing a lot of WoT and a lot of KV-2, we all know Campinovka, or Prokhorovka. We sure do. and as one fellow KV-2 driver stated: we don't shoot the whole of our ammo per game. We really don't. But one thing is interesting here, i'll let you think of it: "Vast ammo quantities + reliance on HE + map knowledge"....Yeah, you got it: KV-2, artillery style. If you're on a camping trip, nothing prevents you of randomly spamming bushes and places where ennemy is highly hiding. I blew up countless ennemies, including ennemy artillery or TD, having them raging as their "Sixth Sense" didn't warn of anything. You can't predict this kind of artillery ;)
On a side note: It's highly advised that your KV-2 has camo for everybody before doing that on maps such as Malinovka, if you don't want to get spotted. It makes a  difference not to have your KV-2 spotted before 200m ;)
My few cents of my KV-2 experience. Wish i could make more than +1 for your guide you're actually one of the first to write down "officially" about the KV-2 fear factor. :)

Edited by Dugalle, 23 August 2013 - 10:26 AM.

Amagai #13 Posted 23 August 2013 - 01:31 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 11492 battles
My 2 cents:

- Angle your turret.  Fire, then immediately aim to the side while retreating. This improves the chance of a bounce.

- Never use anything but HE. There are only very few situations where AP or HEAT would be slightly better, but many where they would be much worse. And when you start your reload, you don't know what will happen until it's finished. Twenty seconds is a lot of time. You have little to win and much to lose in a guessing game, so you'll probably lose in the long run. Even if you are quite good in guessing.

Eokokok #14 Posted 23 August 2013 - 02:09 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 21075 battles
Long range shots are indeed amazing on this tank, after 400 games I can hit moving tanks at 300 meter ranges, and if you zero in the shell will hit up to max game range (IS-6 kill at 700m before 8.6), now it's just silly how much punishment this tank can deal at typical sniper distances. Left unchecked it will bring death to people at semi-arty distance better then any of the current arties it can be matched with ;)

Unknown_Lifeform #15 Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:10 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 28108 battles
Thanks for a very informative guide, have a +1. I had a lot of problems getting to grips with the KV-2 when I first got it and ended up setting it aside until I could read up on it and learn to play it properly. You might just get me playing it again :) Using HE will be the major change for me, I used to play it using AP and premium and I found it hugely frustrating having completed a monster reload time to get a bounce or zero damage crit. I've seen it being used by others to good effect with HE shells.

Also, I know what you mean about curbing your recklessness. I generally play fast tanks but I can end up getting giddy and reckless and it helps to play something slow and deliberate to calm down and get myself into a more calculating frame of mind  :)

Primal_Chaos #16 Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:46 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 9525 battles
  • [ACA] ACA
The tank is amazing. But it can be very frustrating to play, because the tank is so slow. Many games I don´t get enough to aim at, because the enemies die so fast, many games I don´t even reach my position because I am sniped to death when somebody on the enemy team knows how to scout.
The gun really is a troll gun - today i oneshotted an other KV-2... just to do a 0% dmg hit with HE on a KV-1S front hull the next game.
Very important is to install a sound mod, since the earthquake sound was removed - then the gun will do much more damage with each shot... or at least in your head ;)

Edited by Primal_Chaos, 25 August 2013 - 12:48 PM.

ZecvonZecstein #17 Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:03 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 111063 battles
  • [FSKN] FSKN

View PostEokokok, on 23 August 2013 - 02:09 PM, said:

Long range shots are indeed amazing on this tank, after 400 games I can hit moving tanks at 300 meter ranges, and if you zero in the shell will hit up to max game range (IS-6 kill at 700m before 8.6), now it's just silly how much punishment this tank can deal at typical sniper distances. Left unchecked it will bring death to people at semi-arty distance better then any of the current arties it can be matched with ;)

longest shot i noticed was 620 meters - one shot of KV1-s

and yeah, its basically an extra arty piece on the field :)

daz606 #18 Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:37 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 23882 battles
+1!

It's my favourite tank, one shotting people is awesome :)

I love it when a KV-1S goes into emergency reverse when he stumbles across you.

Of all my tanks, THIS has proven to have the greatest potential for changing a battle.
If you get your shot off and hit, your target is in a world of pain!
He's either dead or backing up and trying to repair asap.

My most satisfying kills were when a pair of rampaging KV-1S met me.
One shotted both of them, then they told me I was OP.

Ironic :)

DoctorCool #19 Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:14 PM

Private

• Player
  • 29820 battles
Excellent description +1!

krazypenguin #20 Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:31 PM

Major

• Player
  • 30481 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Cheers for the positive feedbackall!  I've tidied up the OP a little and add some new images, including what I hope will be the start of a guide showing where best to aim on enemy tanks to maximise the chance of a one shot kill!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users