linux wot play performance ubuntu

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

PrivateMonkeyz #1 Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:03 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 3974 battles
Hello everyone ,

I have been using linux (ubuntu, mint, backtrack/kali) for 2 years now(mostly by VMs) but I started playing WoT for just 6 months. So just now I wonder if there is anyone here playing on linux and how is the game performance compared to Windows, because I consider changing my Host-OS on my laptop to Ubuntu and running Windows and other OS in virtual box , since I consider windows to be very limiting to a user in terms of configuration and testing. (and very sluggish)

PrivateMonkeyz #2 Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:22 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 3974 battles
No one?  :sad:

Oski1983 #3 Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:01 PM

Private

• Player
  • 23634 battles
  • [U__G] U__G
Yes i play on Linux Mint14 and at the we i get Linux Mint15. The simplest Way to play WoT on Linux is using PlayOnLinux. I tested a lot last days and i become it rund with max Settings 10 fsp slower windows. With the installer under PlayOnLinux you get a version verry slow. But i tested it manualy with wine1.7.1 - CMST which manage ogl-calls to a separate Thread. (Multithreading). but on my Grafik-Card (Gforce GTX260) i become a few grafical Errors allmos in the hanger. The ToDo is:
wget -q "http://deb.playonlinux.com/public.gpg" -O- | sudo apt-key add -
sudo wget http://deb.playonlin...ux_precise.list -O /etc/apt/sources.list.d/playonlinux.list
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install playonlinux
Then the normal way ist to search for World of Tanks and follow the Indtoductions. To get the CMST to run click install->customsoftware.
then install another wine-version (1.7.1-CMST).
After that install the POL d3dx36 or 43, d3dxcompiler43, vcrun2008, wininet, msxml3, and ie8(english-version).
Then you must set the registry for cmst under HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Wine/Direct3D/CMST = "enabled".
If you use Nvidia you also should add "LD_PRELOAD="libpthread.so.0 libGL.so.1" __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1 etracer" in the textarea exec before start program.
The last option activate multithreadin on Nvidia GPU and lives for the process that start after that command. So in my opinion you must link to WorldOfTanks.exe and not to the launcher to activate the Multithreading. But i'm not sure.
So if you have luck the game runs faster with this version of Wine and hopefully without grafical errors.
I hobe you understood my bad english. ;-)
Oh one thing i forget. If you have Problems with updating via launcher because it crashe with "unhandled Exception" after load a few MB, so deactivate "Use Torrent" in the launcher Settings.
If it craches before you see the window than you have problems with a lib. So see in debug if ther is an error by loading a lib. if there is a problem with msxml3.dll see if you can download it manual an copy it to the folder ~.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/yourexecutabalefolder/drive_c/windows/system32/
By my version the msxml3 was defect by loading via winetricks. So i must copy it manualy.

Edited by Oski1983, 23 October 2013 - 05:15 PM.

kodos #4 Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:18 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 14427 battles
  • [RENO] RENO
There are other linux related topic here

Yes, WoT runs fine with wine 32-Bit.
Performance is around 10 fps worse than on windows.

at the moment I am running wine 1.7.4 but cannot say it is better than other version because of the fps jumbs from WoT itself (depending on the Map I have 40-60 fps, but there are some places on some maps where I always have an fps drop to 15)

Oski1983 #5 Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:34 PM

Private

• Player
  • 23634 battles
  • [U__G] U__G
Yes that is the reason why CMST is faster. Here because the OpenGL calls are outsourced to a different core. Otherwise running WoT on only one core and processes the wine still needs to create a code for the graphics card loads these core extreme. Another thread of Linux was probably moved here or is not findable for me. About finding I have now found this and wanted to answer at least once. With CMST WoT runs at me with about 30fsp to 40 fsp and maximum settings.

Edited by Oski1983, 23 October 2013 - 05:35 PM.

kodos #6 Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:08 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 14427 battles
  • [RENO] RENO
thank you for that, I try it out.

Here is the other topic:
http://forum.worldof...nder-linux/#top

Oski1983 #7 Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:54 AM

Private

• Player
  • 23634 battles
  • [U__G] U__G
But don't change the Version of the autoinstaller or you must change a few libs to buildin. But i'm not sure wich one.

If i will habe time i will test it and post it in the other topic.

Vuurdraak_ #8 Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:25 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 20335 battles
  • [BNEF2] BNEF2

This new Wine CSMT patch is awsome, I had WoT running with Wine 1.6 without using PlayOnLinux, and reading this topic I went looking for Wine with CSMT enabled.

So I installed PlayOnLinux (or else I would need to compile Wine + CSMT my self), and then just installed Wine 1.7.4-CMST from PlayOnLinux. I altered my Desktop shortcut to make it use the same virtual C: drive WoT was using with Wine 1.6 but now running with the new Wine 1.7.4 CSMT.

It's just amazing, WoT 8.10 with Wine 1.6 (High Graphics settings) 15 to 25 Frames per Second.

Wot 8.10 with Wine 1.7.4-CMST 25 to 66 Frames per Second (basicly the same frame rate with same graphics settings as in Windows XP)

Thanks for the CSMT tip, it's just amazing.

[Phenom II x4 @ 3115Mhz - Geforce 660 GTX - NVidia Linux 309 driver - Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Precise]

Edited because I said CMST instead of CSMT which is what it's called sorry :')

Edited by Aeziz, 09 February 2014 - 11:41 AM.

Also tagged with linux, wot, play, performance, ubuntu

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users