how long did it took you to master the game.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
24 replies to this topic

fenixfirebird #1 Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:13 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 10892 battles
I never had any problems with mastering a game. I started when i was 13 with online gaming ,im 28 now.
And in most games i would be a unicum. I mean :cod clanbase player of the year, cod uo 7 months nr 1 player, halo Always in the top 10 the same for the BF games and COD mw.
i do have games where i was not so good at ,CS source i was good but nothing more. And played a lot of different game types wich where a lot harder than WOT.
Like GTR 1&2 race 07, rfactor, heroes of might and magic (started with old one, have played all of them) and ofcourse more fun games like AOE, GTA, C&C red alert, RCT 1,2,3, football managers. Never had a problem with one of them. But the last couple years im yust playing for fun no clans anymore because i have to 2 kids a house , work and a wife so not realy have time for gaming anymore. i found WOT true a youtube ad. And i thought free to play how hard can it be. It took me 2K games to realise i was playing it wrong. I went for the is7 line and made it too the IS with out even looking too the stats are anything. But when i started to play the americans and had a massive losing strike i realised i was doing something wrong and started to look things up like tank review from jingles and installed xvm and so on. But against that time i was 500 games in the red but afterthat i started go up in wins and stats . Im have played 4k games now and have a 51% winrate. I still do things wrong like go to defend a flank in my own , push (no not rushing) and then realiseing your team stayed where they where. I also now that im rubbish with light tanks, i get the spotting system it just doesnt work for me.
I now i will never be a unicum. but now im at least not a tomato player anymore. But it took me 2K games its the first game that it took so long to master it ( and i still havent fully mastered it).
How long did it took you to master it?

KptStrzyga #2 Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:22 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 33333 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
I am still learning.
Lately I became good with meds (finally), I know how to drive lights and how to scout, I suck with heavys, I`m not even touching anything without turret - too hard for me. There is still so much to learn.  :mellow:

Edited by KptStrzyga, 03 September 2013 - 07:24 AM.

grayfoxCode #3 Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:23 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 17819 battles
It really depends on your definition of mastering. For me it means getting every tier 10, but for some it will be being a unicum or being in a top clan. Personally though I'm quite close to my goal with just 3 tier 10s left to get and its only taken me 15k+ battles.

Moppedhupe #4 Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:23 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 29734 battles
  • [VAD1R] VAD1R
i am far away from mastering the game... but im still getting better and better every day. guess if i keep going like that, i'll master the game in 1 year. I'm still doing mistakes now and then (or all day ^^) but i've even understood the game i guess :trollface:
the cool think imho is, every day you can be proud of you because you managed to do something you've never done before etc.

FYI, i started online games at the age of 13 as well, now i'm 27. maybe its because we're getting old?  :hiding:  :teethhappy:

Sgt_Diablo #5 Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:23 AM

Warrant Officer

• Clan Commander
  • 25583 battles
  • [F15] F15

View Postfenixfirebird, on 03 September 2013 - 07:13 AM, said:

I now i will never be a unicum. but now im at least not a tomato player anymore. But it took me 2K games its the first game that it took so long to master it ( and i still havent fully mastered it).

At 4k battles my stats were similar to yours, a bit above. At around 5k battles I started to massivly improve. It gets to a point where you realize something about the game and suddenly everything is easier.

There is no reason why you shouldn't become a "unicum" :)

BattleMetalChris #6 Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:25 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 9222 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
5740 battles so far.

I'd say it took be about 3K before I started to properly know what I was doing, but I still make a lot of silly mistakes, and sometimes find myself dithering, unsure of what to do with the situation I've been given.

skalvas #7 Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:25 AM

Private

• Player
  • 34231 battles
  • [BEDA] BEDA
+- 1k games to play smart enough, 4k then i play sufficient good, but until now sometimes i do funny or silly things.

harry_monkley #8 Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:25 AM

Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 45785 battles
Still learning.

Jurpula #9 Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:27 AM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 12358 battles
  • [S1SU] S1SU
It's a looongass learning process, winnig the internet or succesfully dividing by 0 would be easier.

spuriousmonkey #10 Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:30 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 42857 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
It took me about 10k-12k of games. Yes, I know. Embarrassing right?

It is not that I was a horrible player. In fact I always hovered around 49% wr. Nothing I would do would change this. Which was becoming frustrating. In my defense I mostly played light tanks in the beginning but even these I didn't really master.

It all changed when I started to grind the t49 and later the hellcat. They taught me how to play properly.

None of that silly peekabooing stuff any more or tank vs tank. Now it was cheeky shots, harassment, surprise and constant relocation.

I slowly incorporated the lessons learned to other tanks and my stats have been rising since. Of course the 60 day stats have leveled off already. It is just the overall stats that are slowly catching up.

I will never be a fantastic player but I am pretty ok and reliable on the battlefield right now.

Sweetheart #11 Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:36 AM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 10076 battles
  • [CARRY] CARRY
Took me about 3k games (in beta) to start playing at 2k+ wn6 and 65%+ wr level. At the end of beta, at 3.5k games, I was playing at 70%+. Haven't really improved after that.

Marlekin #12 Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:39 AM

Brigadier

• Beta Tester
  • 33410 battles
  • [HOFF] HOFF
Everyone usually comes to a point where they think "I really need to learn how to " and then thing start to pick up and improve.

For me that was somewhere in closed beta driving my Darth Vader Pz4, shooting at tier 9 tanks. Matchmaker was a nightmare those days for lower tiered tanks as a little tier 5 stood little chance. I realised I should aim at weakspots to damage tanks if I wanted to do any damage at all, so I started to look up forum threads on tanks, checked out armor values in the techtree and  asking around in general chat how to damage certain vehicles. From that point on things went better and soon I was in a VK36, then a Tiger, Tiger II, and the VK45.

And then came along the EU release and I grinded it all over again :P

Lilleman #13 Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:39 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 38199 battles
  • [TORSK] TORSK
About 16k games and I still a tomato. Sometimes I do great things other times I just plain stupid.
I not really sure that its possible ever to master WoT. All games are different and you have so many random elements (players) and tanks.

I thought I had “Got it” when my stats were rising, but the last days my win rate is dropping like a stone. So much for being over confident. :deer:

Revulo #14 Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:56 AM

Private

• Player
  • 38007 battles
  • [_TDO_] _TDO_
Well the first 12k battles i had just about 50% wr but after i started looking at streams and replays (mostly from The mighty jingles and Quickybaby) i started to improve. However im still learning and i belive that i will keep learning until the day i stop playing

http://mywotstats.co...U/SigCustom.png

Woody1999 #15 Posted 03 September 2013 - 08:00 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 13549 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostKptStrzyga, on 03 September 2013 - 07:22 AM, said:

I am still learning.
Lately I became good with meds (finally), I know how to drive lights and how to scout, I suck with heavys, I`m not even touching anything without turret - too hard for me. There is still so much to learn.

Well, at least you don't suffer from tomato syndrome.. It forces me to suck at everything, scream and whine at everything, and call haxx on superer stronkerer playerers...

It also makes me suck at making decisions, including the decision I took to challenge you, one on one, in a T-34-85 fight >.>

Woody

Constar #16 Posted 03 September 2013 - 08:00 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 31349 battles
  • [KOLLI] KOLLI
if you've had success with fps games before im sure you'll have success in wot too, just a matter of time.
what i think you are still lacking is experience.
an experienced player knows all the maps and tanks thus enabling him/her to make good use of what he/she has every battle.
basically you need to look your minimap more often and make correct assumptions on enemy whereabouts/plans and come up with apt countermeasures.
i checked your stats and saw you've been playing all the tankclasses save SPGs.
this is very good, in order to understand whats happening on the battlefield it is higly recommend you know besides how to make best use of what you are driving but also what would be the best course of action for the rest of the tanks too, this helps you to guess where enemy tanks might be heading to and might prove vital in winning a battle.
under the current meta spgs aren't exactly the most efficient class to play but i recommend you try those too just to understand a little better what arty can and will do for
this will also improve your gameplay on other tanks as well, especially scouts.
now i realise im no unicum.. ..yet :P but i have decent understanding of the game now and strive to improve even further.
basically what cpt. strzyga said would apply to me as well some tanks i play better and some (like arty) im not too good with.
learning how to play is an ongoing process so i wouldn't care much if your stats aren't too impressive after 5k games (especially when stats are easily padded if you are into that shit), double your games and i guarantee you'll see great improvement statswise as well.
happy hunting!

hamstor #17 Posted 03 September 2013 - 08:08 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 15096 battles
I think I reached my skill cap some 2-3k games ago. Now my 60 day WR/wn6/etc seems to be constant and my overall stats are slowing improving. Played my first 4k battles like a toad, grinding towards Tiger H and Panther. Go figure how it turned out.

Might have the big breaktrough if I would play good enough with my T9 tanks (haven't really played much above T8 till now) but I highly doubt that. It's just no fun for me playing high tiers. Also hate playing TCs, it's boring for me.

Carantanien #18 Posted 03 September 2013 - 08:12 AM

Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 16815 battles
  • [-322-] -322-

View Postfenixfirebird, on 03 September 2013 - 07:13 AM, said:

To get out of red zone to yello/green i needed around 3k battles (2kbeta + 1k live version).
From yello/green to blue took around 7k battles (ya im slow :p).  :sceptic:
Blue to purple...probably never...to much inconsistency in my gameplay (i am too agressive and cant hold the concentration for whole game...survive ratio below 30%)  :trollface:

basin79 #19 Posted 03 September 2013 - 08:18 AM

General

• Player
  • 15351 battles
Still learning. Looking back I was absolutely useless until about 2k games ago. So that's 6k games basically where I was driving around with no idea. Thankfully youtube came to my rescue. Watching Jingles,  Quickybaby, Highflyer, Circon etc really as helped me out immensely.  So now at 8k games I'm playing alright and slowly increasing my avg xp and damage. Wish I would have watched the vids when I first started playing.

zikkon #20 Posted 03 September 2013 - 10:42 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 35417 battles
  • [ZIGI] ZIGI
I don't even know half of the hight tier tank's weakspots and there are places on most of the maps i have never been to so i think i'm still waaaay far from mastering this game...
My advice - go for the hellcat if you haven't already - this tank changed my whole gameplay and made me understand camo mechanics (with some reading in the wiki). It was after i got over 1k battles in M18 that i decided i know sufficently enough to try go higher into tiers. Hellcat was a gemchanger for me and for a long long time my favourite vehicle to play. Now i play high tiers mostly as i think tier 10 is where all the fun is (after the arty infestation is over).

Edited by zikkon, 03 September 2013 - 10:53 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users