t-28

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
118 replies to this topic

Yak0v_Andreyevitz #61 Posted 29 April 2011 - 10:51 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 19049 battles
After a couple of 57mm kills, I must say this tank is quite fun on maps like Karelia, where your close-combat teammates divert fire from your paper armour so that you can actually snipe. In close combat, however, I find my light cannon is a pain in the ass - 7 shots in the IS back armour only brought it down from 60% to 5%. The SPG then stole my kill, using the fact that a tracked IS is an easy target...

Still, I like the accuracy and penetration. I'm now about 1/3 way through the XP grind, but cash is a different story - I'm saving up for 85mm gun for SU-85B and a new Panzer III.

Anarkki #62 Posted 30 April 2011 - 01:23 PM

Private

• Player
  • 437 battles
I used to hate playing this tank, it has painfully flimsy armour, the guns felt underpowered. It had a ridiculously large profile, looking like a canal barge with a turret stuck on the top. About the only thing going for it was its half-decent speed.

Then I got the 85mm gun. Things got a LOT better. Now I play the tank either a)like a sniper with a camo net on it, sniping targets lit up by my teammates. or B ) as a support tank, hiding behind the heavies as they advance and sending my big 85mm shells through any tank that gets in our way. I've taken out heavy tanks several tiers higher than me, and I love the ability to 1-shot less armoured targets. I'm getting 1-6 kills on most matches now rather than being ripped to shreds all the time. Even when the game's wonderful balancing system matches me up against Tigers and ISs

Suddenly, the grind doesn't seem so bad any more. I think I'm actually going to enjoy working my way up to the KV. It's just a pity that the t-28 looks so ridiculous. Seriously, what where the Soviets thinking?

london_tank #63 Posted 02 May 2011 - 09:23 PM

Private

• Player
  • 1494 battles
Dont make me angry....... my coffeee is out. [_______]] > go get me some more...

oh BTW... all tanks are good. from armor and weapons and speed decide what u want todo, then with each map learn how to play the tank.

A20 for EG u can sit back like a TD or be at the front. fire once and move. or fire at something enganged elsewhere.

you see once the role is setup and u understand the map then its a matter of time whern you realise if u like or dislike the way you play.

remember its not about being top of the list or bottom. its what u want.

i want xp + credits.

so upto tier 5 i use HE + 2 shots per enemy stratergy. hit 2 or 3 tanks. return to base. hide. win lose or draw = upto 470 xp. this is up to tier 5.

after that ur looking at 10k per battle + 500+ xp. or 600.

so all in all its the player and not the tank.

Thanks for the coffee John.

Lets move on.

bye all.

so john this cow walked into the bar and said moooooo

Battledragon #64 Posted 02 May 2011 - 11:23 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 12362 battles
I'd got a T34 before the T28, so I had the engines (from BT7) and the Zis4 57mm (from T34) already.  I'm just trying to go direct to the KV without picking up any other items.  I don't really like glass cannons much.

Scrap #65 Posted 03 May 2011 - 11:28 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 7203 battles
As I am trying to grind for a KV2 to get a free slot (after the tech tree update) I ran into this piece of metal.

Boy will this tank take you through a roller coaster ride of emotions, or should I say a boat ride of emotions.

Stock tank = probably worst I have experienced, there is no play style this tank is suitable for.

Upgraded tank = probably best tire 4 I have experienced, the guns DO make a serious impact. I bought the second best gun and now I'm sniping tanks from left and right. Well not killing them but at least hitting them and doing damage, you can actually detract enemy scouts from afar with this piece of equipment.

Khold #66 Posted 03 May 2011 - 10:34 PM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 5643 battles
In beta I was playing the t-28 with the 86mm gun and I felt like I was king of the game. None would stand before me as I was smiting them. Even I could match a KV. Now I must say that I suck with the 86mm, as even shots from 20 meter fly off into space.

I highly, highly recommend going with the 54mm Zis 4. And I will tell you why.

Accurate on a very long distance. There is nothing more satisfying than killing a tank in panic as he cannot see you.
Rate of fire and lock on. The 86mm has a poor reload and very long zoom in. By the time you manage your 2nd shot you would have taken enough hits to die. The Zis4 spams shots after shots, a lot of times destabilizing the enemies lock on and he misses a shot on you (if he sees you)
T-28 has paperthin armor. Best bet is to stay way out of sight and rain down enough shells to detrack and hurt the enemy before being spotted.

The 86mm is ok'ish
Pro's
High damage
Slightly more penetration

Cons
Inzooming takes long
Reloading takes long
Expensive to research
Expensive to buy

54mm Zis4
Pro's
Very accurate
Good damage
Fast reload
Cheap to research
Cheap to buy

I guarantee that you will not be disappointed when equiping the 54mmzis4.

shugendo #67 Posted 04 May 2011 - 10:30 AM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 12930 battles
the worst tank in the game (imo). i hate it. when i am looking at it it look like huge freezer on tracks, like freezer transformer :D

nathanromml #68 Posted 04 May 2011 - 06:53 PM

Private

• Player
  • 374 battles

the worst tank in the game (imo). i hate it. when i am looking at it it look like huge freezer on tracks, like freezer transformer

I know what you mean. It has so many structural weaknesses that sometimes I wonder how is it possible that it can drive at all.

XenTexx #69 Posted 04 May 2011 - 10:55 PM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 7990 battles

View PostKhold, on 03 May 2011 - 10:34 PM, said:

I was.

The 54 mm is nicely accurate, but will ding alot (even though the figures suggest otherwise, and the damage is very low.
The 85 mm takes longer to aim, reload and is not as accurate, but boy, does it hurt! Besides that dings dont occur anymore, it even penetrates the higher tier heavies (T6).
The 85 mm is also way better suited for peekaboo tactics.

Biggest drawback of the 85mm is that is requires nearly 1/3rd of the XP required for the KV and is in a different tree.

Legion_X51 #70 Posted 09 May 2011 - 08:50 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 1184 battles
Damn I nearly took out a Jagdpanther with the 57mm today... So close.

The 57mm ZiS-4 is a beast. It can damage anything up to a KV-3 easily. Add that to the fact that it fires as if it was a 37mm....

Brazilski #71 Posted 11 May 2011 - 10:53 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 7189 battles
I just got started on this tank and I love it. I had a 76mm L-10 left over from my T-46 (which I sold asap), but reverted to the stock gun. Considering the accuracy is too poor for range fights anyway, the much faster aiming time of the stock gun makes it the better 76mm. Besides it looks much better.

I'm a bit concerned about getting the exp for the KV within a week (to get a free KV2 with the patch), but moneywise its a winner. Kamikaze scouting will easily earn you 3k on a defeat and 4k+ on a victory, with plenty of time left to play other tanks while waiting out the match. If you managed not to get killed you can seriously take a piss at enemy SPG's and TD's.

I have heard a lot about the 57mm, but I won't be getting it. The way I play it is either like above or move in 2nd line, have a mate occupy the enemy then flank'em and land a large caliber HE in the enemy's back at point blank range. I managed to get three kills in a bottom-list match this way and took away 43% from a KV with one shot. The ammount of damage for its tier, even with a stock gun is just amazing.

GinGinLime #72 Posted 12 May 2011 - 12:00 AM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 4140 battles
It's better than the Lee at least is all I have to say on it.

HazCZ #73 Posted 24 May 2011 - 11:09 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 22150 battles

View Postmadcapkatana, on 21 February 2011 - 05:25 PM, said:

Ive brought the t-28 and i need a bit of advice on how to use it effectively, im on the 76mm L-10 and im saving up for the 85mm, i need some advice on how to use the T-28 with the 76mm gun and with the 85mm gun. thanks :Smile_great: Also could do with some advice on what modules to use

Anybody going for 85 mm gun...but I researched and bought 57 mm ZIS-4 which is more accurate, has faster reload and also it has great penetration...sure - it lacks damage, but it just suits my playstyle with T-28. I can snipe enemy from far away but this is great even on close encounters because u can shoot really fast - if u manage to stay in cover or dodge incoming shells than u have at least two shots before your enemy is able to shoot again. As long as u dont get hit and stay in cover or on move, u can be a real pain in the ass of enemy team giving hard time even to their heavies and TDs.

This gun has so great accuracy, that its even capable of quite accurate shots while MOVING!

HazCZ #74 Posted 24 May 2011 - 11:12 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 22150 battles

View PostKhold, on 03 May 2011 - 10:34 PM, said:

In beta I was playing the t-28 with the 86mm gun and I felt like I was king of the game. None would stand before me as I was smiting them. Even I could match a KV. Now I must say that I suck with the 86mm, as even shots from 20 meter fly off into space.

I highly, highly recommend going with the 54mm Zis 4. And I will tell you why.

Accurate on a very long distance. There is nothing more satisfying than killing a tank in panic as he cannot see you.
Rate of fire and lock on. The 86mm has a poor reload and very long zoom in. By the time you manage your 2nd shot you would have taken enough hits to die. The Zis4 spams shots after shots, a lot of times destabilizing the enemies lock on and he misses a shot on you (if he sees you)
T-28 has paperthin armor. Best bet is to stay way out of sight and rain down enough shells to detrack and hurt the enemy before being spotted.

The 86mm is ok'ish
Pro's
High damage
Slightly more penetration

Cons
Inzooming takes long
Reloading takes long
Expensive to research
Expensive to buy

54mm Zis4
Pro's
Very accurate
Good damage
Fast reload
Cheap to research
Cheap to buy

AGREED!  :Smile-izmena:

pouchy #75 Posted 24 May 2011 - 02:10 PM

Private

• Player
  • 11334 battles
Just used my free xp to get kv ;D
Say no to t-28 - thats the best way to play it ;)

Brazilski #76 Posted 24 May 2011 - 02:14 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 7189 battles

View Postpouchy, on 24 May 2011 - 02:10 PM, said:

Just used my free xp to get kv ;D
Say no to t-28 - thats the best way to play it ;)

And you can go back to the T28 once you get to the KV3 as the 86mm will automatically have been researched.

Thyr1stor #77 Posted 25 May 2011 - 01:30 AM

Private

• Player
  • 10669 battles
I seriously love this thing. It's the tank I like the most by far.

Just remember to avoid confrontations and use it's acceleration and semi-good speed to your advantage and it can be an awesome tank.

My current stats with it:
Attached File   shot_017.jpg   162.86K

SchurkjeBoefje #78 Posted 13 June 2011 - 04:48 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 9486 battles
I was grinding a KV to level with my mate, who has a stock KV and is not liking it. So I'd figure we suffer together, more bearable.

Wasnt looking forward to the T28, at all. Luckily, I had the engines and the 57mm already researched from the T-34 so I can't comment on how it is stock (horrendous, I assume), but even with only the best engine and the 57, this thing happily surprised me. After 20 odd games or so its even running above 1 kill per game, and thats including games where you're matched with T29s, Tigers, KV3s, 3601s and all sorts of horrible stuff.

The armor of this thing is absolute paper. Might as well be covered in puppies (though that might deter the enemy from shooting).

But on it's own tier, even better when you're top dog, the 57mm is an absolute GOD. Ive got the free 50% crew, no equipment whatsoever, no fancy stuff so it's not tricked out. But the gun is a beast. It will penetrate everything including half of the tier6 and 7 tanks you'll meet, and make a dirty mess of anything tier 4 and lower with its RoF.

It also has the mobility to relocate and stay out of trouble, for as much as thats possible. Armor is practically non-existant. Profile is awkward and tricky when relocating cos its so long, but from the front its quite a narrow tank. If you keep your distance and hammer away with very accurate (0.3!) 57mm machine cannon, it keeps the poor survivability at a minimum.

Imo the best way to get the most out of this machine. I liked it. Out of courtesy I will elite it before I sell it and get the KV :)

T-28 = ugly duckling, but lovable nonetheless!

Brazilski #79 Posted 13 June 2011 - 09:27 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 7189 battles

View PostSchurkjeBoefje, on 13 June 2011 - 04:48 AM, said:

I was grinding a KV to level with my mate, who has a stock KV and is not liking it. So I'd figure we suffer together, more bearable.

Wasnt looking forward to the T28, at all. Luckily, I had the engines and the 57mm already researched from the T-34 so I can't comment on how it is stock (horrendous, I assume), but even with only the best engine and the 57, this thing happily surprised me. After 20 odd games or so its even running above 1 kill per game, and thats including games where you're matched with T29s, Tigers, KV3s, 3601s and all sorts of horrible stuff.

The armor of this thing is absolute paper. Might as well be covered in puppies (though that might deter the enemy from shooting).

But on it's own tier, even better when you're top dog, the 57mm is an absolute GOD. Ive got the free 50% crew, no equipment whatsoever, no fancy stuff so it's not tricked out. But the gun is a beast. It will penetrate everything including half of the tier6 and 7 tanks you'll meet, and make a dirty mess of anything tier 4 and lower with its RoF.

It also has the mobility to relocate and stay out of trouble, for as much as thats possible. Armor is practically non-existant. Profile is awkward and tricky when relocating cos its so long, but from the front its quite a narrow tank. If you keep your distance and hammer away with very accurate (0.3!) 57mm machine cannon, it keeps the poor survivability at a minimum.

Imo the best way to get the most out of this machine. I liked it. Out of courtesy I will elite it before I sell it and get the KV :)

T-28 = ugly duckling, but lovable nonetheless!

Wait till you get the 85 and can one-shot practically everything of your own tier. Someone above us stated that the 85 has poor reload, but it actually has amazing reload for its guntier.

Bipsy #80 Posted 13 June 2011 - 09:48 AM

Private

• Player
  • 1441 battles
Keep in mind that the T28, when armed with the 85mm, is like a turreted TD. Actually, not even a TD, just a field gun. Zeroing on the target takes ages with that gun, but when ready, it's actually pretty accurate. Hide in bushes, stay behind comrades and have fun sniping. When attacking, you can even use your speed to flank the enemy busy wearing down your teammates and shoot a deady shell in their back.
AP are for very precise shots while HE are for the rest. I managed to sneak to the flank of a KV who didn't hide his back well enough and was busy shooting at teammates and promptly detracked him, and pumped his side with AP shells (just above the tracks). It's pretty deadly (set his engine on fire + ~20% damage per shot).
Also, the sight of blowing a pristine tank to smithereens in one shot is always entertaining.

All in all, this tank is fun when you understand its playstyle, though it'll still be frustrating to have such weak armor. It's the only T4 tank I intend to elite.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users